Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It's the same with the football though; if you want to watch the Premiership you have to have Sky Sports, right? Same with the golf.

The only reason I have Sky Digital is because I could get the F1 channel. Saying that, I've had no issues with Sky as a service or channel. Well a few here and there but was more to do with the hardware.

I like the Sky F1 coverage, I just don't have the time anymore to watch it all - qualifying pre-show, then qualifying, then the after show stuff like the notebook, then race day - free practice sessions, pre-show, the race, post-show etc. It's three full days of TV really. The team is good but I'd just prefer if "Crofty" was less jocular.

I do think there should be the option to just switch on the race for free. I remember back in the day the BBC coverage would start about 15 minutes before race start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I do think there should be the option to just switch on the race for free.

Unfortunately, the whole point of exclusivity from Sky's point of view is to increase subscriptions, so they will not undermine that by making races available for free. This strategy has worked well for them with football, cricket, golf etc.

Anyone watch the Netflix doc yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

1pt for fastest lap confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Not finished it yet but first impressions are really good. It offered more real conversations in one episode than a decade of the standard media garbage. But two teams in particular are conspicuous by their lack of involvement which is definitely a negative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What is it called? I'll check it out later.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    What is it called? I'll check it out later.

Formula 1 Drive to Survive

skipper_G wrote: »
    Not finished it yet but first impressions are really good. It offered more real conversations in one episode than a decade of the standard media garbage. But two teams in particular are conspicuous by their lack of involvement which is definitely a negative

I think Ferrari are in it toward the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

pjohnson wrote: »

Glad I won't be watching this year. I HATE the idea of points for anything other than finishing position. (And yes, if I was watching 60 years ago if have been complaining then too). Stupid gimmick, even worse than DRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ppn wrote: »
    Who knows but by the time that Sky deal and exclusivity ends, which Liberty has said it will not allow to happen again, the next generation will be totally immersed in that dreadful Formula E. IMO I don't think FE will ever be a replacement for F1, for the purist anyway. If people complain about the noise of F1 cars now, which is still impressive, what will they say if/when FE takes over from F1. This Sky thing is a huge blow for future F1 support. Hopefully its not the beginning of the end. Its sickening, who can justify €210 for 21 races or whatever the special deal is (>€150?) on top of their existing tv package...

the next generation will be totally immersed in that dreadful Formula E.

I do not think Formula e is dreadful it is the future for cars weather we like it or not.
    Its helping to develop that technology at a faster rate and has a lot of manufactures interested and involved in it. They are lining up to get in unlike Formula 1.
    However I do not think you need to worry about it taking all of the next generation as it has kind of shot itself in the foot before it has even got too running by making itself harder to watch. Like F1 now must of it is only viewable by highlights which is silly for a sport that is only getting started and trying to get fans interested. He can be viewed live on the BBC red button but not easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

So queue half the grid pitting on the penultimate lap for fresh tires in order to try get fastest lap at the very end. Stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Inviere wrote: »

So queue half the grid pitting on the penultimate lap for fresh tires in order to try get fastest lap at the very end. Stupid idea.
    I think it might work.
    People with no hope of points will surely pit near the end. Could spice up the back markers race.
    Plus someone running 14 or 15th might suddenly find themselves on the edge of the points if they don't pit.
    Front runners could also get opportunity to pit and you never know, that can go wrong too.
    I'm all for anything that mixes things up.

The point is only awarded if the person is in the top 10, so somebody at the back can't just slap on new tyres and go for glory. Won't stop the front times trying if they have a big enough gap back to the midfield.

I'll wait to see what impact if any it has before I make my mind up. My gut instinct is it's a bit gimmicky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

The point for the fastest lap scenario will probably be as good as the double points at the final race a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Should offer an extra point for pole position instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The point is only awarded if the person is in the top 10, so somebody at the back can't just slap on new tyres and go for glory. Won't stop the front times trying if they have a big enough gap back to the midfield.

I'll wait to see what impact if any it has before I make my mind up. My gut instinct is it's a bit gimmicky.

Ah it's crap if it's not open to all.
    Points could make a huge difference to the teams at the back. This is only going to further separate the top teams from the back markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

recyclebin wrote: »
    Should offer an extra point for pole position instead.

If that was allowed instead; I could assume that Mercedes could hoover up all of those points up between their own drivers & for the constructors for most of this seasons & subsequent seasons if it was still kept after it's first year. If Ferrari had taken some of those points during this season; Would it make much of a difference to their season especially now that LeClerc is paired up with Vettel? If the fans don't prefer to have that advantage for pole position. Other options like including it for the fastest lap should be more fairer for the drivers of other teams to gain themselves some extra points in the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Reverse grids, the 2 Mercedes starting at the back would be a great time.

Are you seriously suggesting that reverse grids would be good or is it just hyperbole?

Apparently the only time this would have had an impact was in 2008. Felipe Massa would have actually beaten IS THAT GLOCK Hamilton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭flazio

But then, who would bother trying to be fastest in qualifying if the reward is to be sent to the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

FP1 next Friday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ah, top ten only....that’s even worse :( as said, it’ll only widen the gap and make things even more difficult for struggling teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I'm not a big fan of this is but it could well be used by the mid field to keep the gap lower. If a midfield team has a secure fifth or sixth place with a pit stop in hand, they change to a new pair of shorts and put in a qualy like low fuel lap to get the extra point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

If they learn it will only be for point finishers

Where did Magnussen finish in Sinapore last year? Iirc it was like 14th or did he move up while Sirotkin was defending from Perez and delaying cars? Cant remember if he pitted from damage before he set the fastest lap or was it strategy that he pitted late.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Where did Magnussen finish in Sinapore last year? Iirc it was like 14th or did he move up while Sirotkin was defending from Perez and delaying cars? Cant remember if he pitted from damage before he set the fastest lap or was it strategy that he pitted late.

Magnussen finished 18th.

Ah, top ten only....that’s even worse :( as said, it’ll only widen the gap and make things even more difficult for struggling teams.

I know what you're saying but think about this, there was a 297 point gap between 3rd & 4th last year. A few more points won't make any difference to the gap between the top 3 and the rest. If people are serious about helping struggling teams then only one fix works, change the revenue distribution model.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Magnussen finished 18th.

Jaysus something clearly went títs up for him then :pac:

Dunno what I was thinking ha

• Advertisement

On the topic of the Netflix show, I absolutely loved it and I think they could well suck in a few new fans on the back of it. It's not a season review if anyone is expecting that but each episode focuses on a specific story. They use the artistic licence with a lot of the presentation (editing and audio in particular). Some of the more change resistant F1 fans will absolutely hate it, but that's normal. The one major criticism is the lack of involvement of Mercedes and Ferrari, although the latter is at least mentioned a few times in the later episodes.
    Verdict: thumbs up from me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement