Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Deco99 wrote: »
    Setting aside the false equivalence, if I owned a child labour factory would it change the point that what he is charged with is not "unlucky" or you "gotta feel for him".

Trying to suggest that we are claiming Kraft is involved with the Human Trafficking is disingenuous. The links between prostitution and sex trafficking are well documented so I don't need to educate on that. I say man making use of brothel, regardless of age, is wrong. If you feel otherwise, that's your view and we disagree.

What are you babbling on about. Your first paragraph doesn't make sense, but keep the patronising comments coming.
    The links between clothing manufacturing and child labour are well documented also, if you aren't aware of that maybe you need the education. And yes, the argument is a false equivalence, that was the point of it. You are the one saying he took advantage of trafficked women. He took advantage of trafficked women in the same way you are taking advantage of child labourers.

And obviously my view on what he did is different on this matter.
    Were he a 30 something year old, I wouldn't feel bad for him.
    Were his wife still alive, I wouldn't feel bad for him.
    But Robert Kraft is the owner of an NFL team that I happen to support. He's everything that most fans would want in an owner, and he's done more good in his life than most people could ever aspire to. He was an idiot for doing what he did, and his reputation will take an absolute hammering for something that a lot of elderly, rich people would be guilty of. So yes, I do feel bad for the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's about understanding that it's easy to be arrested in a sting without doing anything wrong. Surely the man deserves to be considered innocent until such time as it's proven he did something wrong.
    I'm not saying he didn't do something illegal. I'm saying that based on his age and the fact that we don't have any evidence that I'm willing to wait and see. We are on the outside and don't have any information. We know that up to this point Kraft has no history of anything like this so the reasons for me doubting it based on the information we have, and his age, are common sense.
    Thankfully I'm not a social media twit who swallows everything posted on there. I don't read the rubbish on Twitter and those other sites. It seems these days that you are guilty on there without any evidence.

For someone who was happy a few days ago to claim with zero evidence that Kaepernick conned the public with his protest for financial gain you've turned very quickly to shout 'innocent until proven guilty' in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Very few kickers are going to never have dips in their performance and if you throw them out when they do you end up in the situation where the Bears are longingly looking at Gould.

You can say 4 teams in 5 seasons but I can easily point to the fact he was so good the year before and the Bears gave him the 3rd highest guaranteed money for a kicker in the league, so there was clearly a number of teams in for him.

Which has proven to be a terrible decision because he isn't good! He missed 11 kicks for goodness sake. Poor accuracy and a weak leg is not a good combination for a kicker.
    So it is fine for Nagy to say whatever he wants to journalists but Parkey speaking to the media shows he's a poor teammate? I'm happy to be corrected on these but I didn't see much direct vocal self criticism from Nagy on the mistakes he had during the year or be vocal in defending Parkey after the game as he was to attack him.

You obviously didn't watch many Nagy interviews as you are so, so wrong. Nearly every single press conference he preached about how both the offense, himself and the rest of his staff were still learning and there would be some mistakes. The problem I have with Nagy is he didn't appear to ever learn from them, not that he wasn't self-critical. I was tired of hearing him own up to making a bad decision but then going out and doing the same thing a few games later. I'm fairly sure I even said exactly that in one of the NFL week threads.

Nagy never attacked Parkey after the game. Go watch the press conference.

Parkey going on the today show, not even a football show, to discuss HIM, is what just about every single person at the Bears and every Bear fan has an issue with. He didn't even consult the team about the interview. None of them knew until he was on TV. It was self-serving and a sh*tty thing to do 5 days after the game. Nobody wanted to see him on there smiling like he didn't just break everyone's heart.

I also almost forgot to mention him not practicing his kicking at soldier field because the traffic was bad and it would have taken him longer to get there. What a professional.

Oat23 wrote: »
    You obviously didn't watch many Nagy interviews as you are so, so wrong. Nearly every single press conference he preached about how both the offense, himself and the rest of his staff were still learning and there would be some mistakes. The problem I have with Nagy is he didn't appear to ever learn from them, not that he wasn't self-critical. I was tired of hearing him own up to making a bad decision but then going out and doing the same thing a few games later. I'm fairly sure I even said exactly that in one of the NFL week threads.

Why I said I was happy to be corrected. I don't watch Bears news conferences so can only go by what I come across. I'll take your word for it but it sounds more like he was calling out the fact that he made mistakes and is learning in broad terms rather than specific things, like when he was critiquing others.
    Nagy never attacked Parkey after the game. Go watch the press conference.

I was referring to attacking him in the media about the interview. Was there a 'we not me' comment after the game? Plenty of people failed in the Bears that day. Parkey's team mates seemed much more supportive than the coach was.
    Parkey going on the today show, not even a football show, to discuss HIM, is what just about every single person at the Bears and every Bear fan has an issue with. He didn't even consult the team about the interview. None of them knew until he was on TV. It was self-serving and a sh*tty thing to do 5 days after the game. Nobody wanted to see him on there smiling like he didn't just break everyone's heart.

I also almost forgot to mention him not practicing his kicking at soldier field because the traffic was bad and it would have taken him longer to get there. What a professional.

The same Bears fans that were issuing threats and hate messages against him and his family?

I was referring to attacking him in the media about the interview. Was there a 'we not me' comment after the game? Plenty of people failed in the Bears that day. Parkey's team mates seemed much more supportive than the coach was.

Think you're getting the timeline mixed up.

Nagy was supportive of him in his post-game presser. He said the team was a family and would stick together. He felt terrible for him, because he rebounded so well after the 4 missed kicks game.

Never said a single bad thing about him. Never brought in a kicker for a tryout during the season. He had his back 100%.

They then had their post season exit interview on Tuesday or Wednesday and on Friday morning he is on TV doing a pity interview without telling anyone.

7 days after that today show interview, Pace & Nagy had their end of season press conference. This is where the "Me instead of We" comment was made when he was asked for his thoughts on the TV appearance.

I honestly believe due to his contract he was going to be at camp this summer at the very least. The TV appearance was where he lost just about everyone at Halas Hall.

The same Bears fans that were issuing threats and hate messages against him and his family?

Don't be silly. This sort of sh*te happens with every fan base in every sport at some point. A few meatheads venting on twitter doesn't define the fan base.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

It’s kinda hilarious that there’s a heated Cody Parker getting cut conversation intermingled with a heated conversation about a 77 year old getting a hand job.

I used to hate the thread title of weird and wacky general banter thread, but never has the thread title been more apt.

Hazys wrote: »
    It’s kinda hilarious that there’s a heated Cody Parker getting cut conversation intermingled with a heated conversation about a 77 year old getting a hand job.

And it's only February. F*ck sake.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Think you're getting the timeline mixed up.

Nagy was supportive of him in his post-game presser. He said the team was a family and would stick together. He felt terrible for him, because he rebounded so well after the 4 missed kicks game.

Never said a single bad thing about him. Never brought in a kicker for a tryout during the season. He had his back 100%.

They then had their post season exit interview on Tuesday or Wednesday and on Friday morning he is on TV doing a pity interview without telling anyone.

7 days after that today show interview, Pace & Nagy had their end of season press conference. This is where the "Me instead of We" comment was made when he was asked for his thoughts on the TV appearance.

I honestly believe due to his contract he was going to be at camp this summer at the very least. The TV appearance was where he lost just about everyone at Halas Hall.

From what I remembered he never really specifically supported him like he specifically called him out about the interview. Statements like you feel bad for him or that he didn't choose to miss it are hardly ringing endorsements, just like broad statements about making mistakes and learning to me doesn't point to self reflection.

It is probably open to interpretation but to me it just seemed like another coach trotting out a mantra that he didn't live by.
    Don't be silly. This sort of sh*te happens with every fan base in every sport at some point. A few meatheads venting on twitter doesn't define the fan base.

I'm not defining a fan base but to go somewhat full circle, the statements here from Bears fans about Parkey being released are still being harsh on him, like stating he might be a camp body or maybe succeed in the XFL.

All we can do is wait and see what happens. As I said, given their recent experience with Gould I thought they'd be a little more reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭cosatron

I used to hate the thread title of weird and wacky general banter thread, but never has the thread title been more apt.
    One could say Kraft got double doinked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I come for the weird, wacky, and awesome but I stay for the cognitive dissonance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,884 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foxtrol wrote:
    For someone who was happy a few days ago to claim with zero evidence that Kaepernick conned the public with his protest for financial gain you've turned very quickly to shout 'innocent until proven guilty' in this case
    Yeah, that doesn't belong in this thread so I'm not responding to it.
    I haven't posted about that stuff since it was moved either.
    Anyways looking forward to the next time I post and you take the opposite side.
    I do realise that most times it's just anti-Patriots stuff with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Something I've noticed is the official NFL website posting articles and highlights of the AAF.

I know the NFL network is broadcasting games too, really looks like they are pushing or at least hoping for it to be a success and perhaps turn into the G-League equivalent of the NFL.

Most articles I read gave XFL more of a chance of survival but I wonder if the NFL gelp the AAF will it stick around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What better way to start off the day your team is playing in the AFC title game than getting a quick hand shandy in a seedy massage parlour on your way to the airport.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26078163/patriots-owner-robert-kraft-officially-charged-first-degree-solicitation-prostitute

Visits described in more detail here.

https://deadspin.com/robert-kraft-went-to-orchids-of-asia-on-the-morning-of-1832876333

It seems he preferred the older masseuses too (46 and 59 years old).

Raiders will be staying in Oakland for the 2019 season it seems. Agreement reached with the owners of the Coliseum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/daniellewaughtv/status/1100111710659272706?s=21

Once you read it, you’ll never remove it from your mind. :pac::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What better way to start off the day your team is playing in the AFC title game than getting a quick hand shandy in a seedy massage parlour on your way to the airport.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26078163/patriots-owner-robert-kraft-officially-charged-first-degree-solicitation-prostitute

Visits described in more detail here.

https://deadspin.com/robert-kraft-went-to-orchids-of-asia-on-the-morning-of-1832876333

It seems he preferred the older masseuses too (46 and 59 years old).

Well he is 77, both of those are still young enough to be his daughter(s). Like I said, if he had involvement in or even knowledge of the trafficking there, I hope the law comes down on him like a tonne of f***ing bricks.

But Kraft generally hasn`t ever given me an impression of being sleazy or the type, and for christ sake he is a lonely, 77 year old widower. Could he have gone for some high priced supermodel type... yes, but I dont really think that impacts things much.

Dont mean to come over as aggressive, but I have read a few stories on that AFC game and visit today, and just about every one reeks of sneering, which is a little tasteless all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,691 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Raiders will be staying in Oakland for the 2019 season it seems. Agreement reached with the owners of the Coliseum.
    I thought that wouldn't stay if the city sued which they are. Great one mire year of watching NFL players sliding into second base for the first half of the NFL season.

Billy86 wrote: »
    for christ sake he is a lonely, 77 year old widower. Could he have gone for some high priced supermodel type...

He has (or had until recently) a 39 year old former model girlfriend for the past 6 years.

but I have read a few stories on that AFC game and visit today, and just about every one reeks of sneering, which is a little tasteless all things considered.

People like to see the rich and famous fall unfortunately.

And I suppose I'm as guilty as the next guy. I'm just baffled by the whole thing. Going to a prostitute, fair enough but a cheap, seedy place like this one I can't get my head around.

But more importantly, why are NFL owners all buying multi million dollar yachts all of a sudden? Arthur Blank got one today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,884 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

But more importantly, why are NFL owners all buying multi million dollar yachts all of a sudden? Arthur Blank got one today.
    So they don't get caught like Bob obviously!!!!

But Kraft generally hasn`t ever given me an impression of being sleazy or the type, and for christ sake he is a lonely, 77 year old widower. Could he have gone for some high priced supermodel type... yes, but I dont really think that impacts things much.

Through all your personal interactions with him?

Now we're trying to make him into some pathetic sad case by bringing loneliness into it? The man spent 14 minutes in the place, likely on the way to his private jet to sit with his family in a private box to watch his team play in the AFC championship. Hardly some sad lonely pensioner that just wanted human contact that we should feel sorry for. He saw the woman as an object that could give him pleasure before a day of excess.

I'm more bemused by how people have the opinion that butter wouldn't melt in the mouths of so many of these owners coming off the well crafted PR put out on TV about them. You rarely become a billionaire without having some level of a dark side, no matter how much tax deductible charity donations you make.

I'll put my hands up for doing the same about players and being proved wrong. We don't know these people at all so our impressions should mean nothing.

He has (or had until recently) a 39 year old former model girlfriend for the past 6 years.

Didn't this "girlfriend" have a baby to another father not so long ago?

Didn't this "girlfriend" have a baby to another father not so long ago?

She did, yeah. And he supported her throughout. It's all very bizarre.

Deleted.

Christian Hackenberg has been benched by the Memphis Express in the AAF for playing poorly.

Still only 24 but surely considered a bust, 3 years since he was a 2nd rounder, moved around 4 teams, couldn't see any playing time for any in the NFL and then flopped out in the AAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Given he was meant to be one of the bigger stars in the aaf, and the QB play across that league has been bad, I see a future in the insurance industry for him.

Given he was meant to be one of the bigger stars in the aaf, and the QB play across that league has been bad, I see a future in the insurance industry for him.

It's gas when you look at the QBs who went after him in the 2016 draft:

Jacoby Brissett
    Cody Kessler
    Connor Cook
    Dak Prescott
    Cardale Jones
    Kevin Hogan
    Nate Sudfield
    Jake Ruddock
    Brandon Allen
    Jeff Driskel
    Brandon Doughty

Firstly my god the amount drafted! Secondly despite the above pool not being stacked with stars I would safely say the majority are better than Hackenberg!

Think only Doughty, Ruddock and Allen are the others not to see any NFL action, and Hackenberg and Doughty the only two without a job in the NFL.

Maybe he'll prove us wrong....doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's gas when you look at the QBs who went after him in the 2016 draft:

Jacoby Brissett
    Cody Kessler
    Connor Cook
    Dak Prescott
    Cardale Jones
    Kevin Hogan
    Nate Sudfield
    Jake Ruddock
    Brandon Allen
    Jeff Driskel
    Brandon Doughty

Firstly my god the amount drafted! Secondly despite the above pool not being stacked with stars I would safely say the majority are better than Hackenberg!

Think only Doughty, Ruddock and Allen are the others not to see any NFL action, and Hackenberg and Doughty the only two without a job in the NFL.

Maybe he'll prove us wrong....doubtful.

Rudock got to attempt a whole 5 passes against Baltimore when Stafford had to go off in 2017.

• Advertisement

First tag of the off-season as 49ers place a franchise tag on Gould. Probably not the most efficient use of resources in spending that much on a kicker that doesn’t have a huge range but this was always likely to happen. Feel there’s a decent chance that they come to a long-term deal by the first game.

Advertisement