Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yeah let's just leave my last big payday there. Bills and him will work fine

Pairing the best WR in the league (who is a difficult character to handle at the best of times and will command a massive contract) with an awful, highly inaccurate QB doesn’t strike me as the most productive move. If he wasn’t happy with Roethlisberger, he’ll murder Allen by week 4!

That’s not to mention that Jordan Poyer’s wife cheated on him with Brown and the inevitable locker room issues it will cause.

Brown to the Bills seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Broncos are also paying $3.5million of his salary next year - but that is a significant cap saving for the Broncos.

The picks traded are in the 2020 draft.

A triple win really. Keenum (who I quite like, just not as my starting QB) gets to challenge for a starting role in Washington, and a few extra $ in his pocket. Redskins get a QB that almost threw for 4K yards last year for the price of moving down one round at the tail of the draft and $3.5m salary, and Denver get to offload a large portion of contract + free up significant cap space.

I feel a bit sorry Keenum didn't get a second go around really, I think any player deserves a do-over after playing a single year under VJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Paully D wrote: »
    That’s not to mention that Jordan Poyer’s wife cheated on him with Brown and the inevitable locker room issues it will cause.

Brown to the Bills seems like a recipe for guaranteed record Hard Knocks ratings to me.

Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

AB himself said on twitter that it was "fake news".

Also laughing at the Browns fans going nuts thinking they're getting OBJ all because their players were tweeting ambiguous **** after a workout session they were having.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭VillaMad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,882 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brown might find it hard to get a new team the way things are going.
    He should have kept his mouth shut and went about getting a trade quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Broncos are also paying $3.5million of his salary next year - but that is a significant cap saving for the Broncos.

The picks traded are in the 2020 draft.

Is it 3.5m on top of the 3m in dead cap from the signing bonus? If so the Broncos are only saving 3.5m in cap space than if they straight up cut him.

Don't really see it as a good move for the Redskins. They're forever threading water and signing an average at best QB isn't going to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Paully D wrote: »
    Brown would be even dumber than he seems if he goes to the Bills.

He should hold out for a contender (or an improving team with potential, i.e. the Browns) or just retire if a deal to one isn’t forthcoming.

Does he have a choice in the matter? He would owe the Steelers a fortune if he retires apparently.

But yes he is going to look incredibly stupid if he ends up with the bills.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Brown might find it hard to get a new team the way things are going.
    He should have kept his mouth shut and went about getting a trade quietly.

He seems like an absolute pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭VillaMad

New York Giants linebacker Olivier Vernon traded to the Browns.

Kevin Zeitler (Guard) going the opposite way. He has been very good for the Browns. Strange one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Is it 3.5m on top of the 3m in dead cap from the signing bonus? If so the Broncos are only saving 3.5m in cap space than if they straight up cut him.

Don't really see it as a good move for the Redskins. They're forever threading water and signing an average at best QB isn't going to help them.
    That's what I said - a $3.5million saving - significant for the Broncos given their current cap situation.

As for the Redskins - they are on the hook for Smith. I suspect they will either try and get Rosen or draft a QB.

VillaMad wrote: »

Kevin Zeitler (Guard) going the opposite way. He has been very good for the Browns. Strange one.

This is actually unreal for the Giants. Hilarious after the noise from Cleveland with OBJ rumours and Dorsey being a genius.

The Giants will also receive a 2019 fifth-round pick from Cleveland (No. 155), while the Browns receive a 2019 fourth-round pick from New York (No. 132).

Plus, Vernon was 15.5m against cap, Zeitler is 10m.

Improve the team and gain 5.5m. Happy days.

That's what I said - a $3.5million saving - significant for the Broncos given their current cap situation.

As for the Redskins - they are on the hook for Smith. I suspect they will either try and get Rosen or draft a QB.

Read up and it is actually only a $3m saving from a cut because the Broncos are also paying him a $500k bonus. This is the same amount as they would have saved if they cut him and he signed for someone else at a salary greater than $7m (due to offsets). It is better to have that $3m guaranteed but hardly what I’d call significant savings.

The more I think is if the Redskins are using Keenum as a safety net it mightn’t be the worst thing in the world. It could put them in a stronger position in trading for Rosen or trying to move up in the draft as they don’t appear as desperate for a QB and could cut him for cheap (opening up him being on 7 teams in 7 years). I don’t have much faith in them though, and they’ll likely have him as their starter and win 6 or 7 games to be in purgatory again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Didn't realise Zeitler was in the league since 2012, I would have guessed he was drafted around 2015/16. Time flies. Or maybe I'm just confusing all these Wisconsin linemen, being that there's so many of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

VillaMad wrote: »

At least the Browns wished Zeitler a Happy Birthday as they kicked him out the door.

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1104022735016128512

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Vernon looked like a salary dump cut waiting to happen. They get in a quality guard instead. Good business.

Vernon looked like a salary dump cut waiting to happen. They get in a quality guard instead. Good business.

No real winner here, good business from both sides.

Giants improve their OL with a guy the Browns don’t see worth being one of the top costing guards, having Corbett as a cheap replacement. Browns get a better pick and have the cap space to gamble that a change in scenery can get Vernon back to near his best and if that doesn’t happen they cut him at no cost. Both sides eating similar dead cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,871 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Pats trading for Michael Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I guess they don't think they'll keep Trey Flowers so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Read up and it is actually only a $3m saving from a cut because the Broncos are also paying him a $500k bonus. This is the same amount as they would have saved if they cut him and he signed for someone else at a salary greater than $7m (due to offsets). It is better to have that $3m guaranteed but hardly what I’d call significant savings.

Prior to the trading of Keenum and cutting Darian Stewart the Broncos had less than $20million in cap space. Getting roughly $3million from the Keenum is a fair slice of the cap space for the Broncos.

Now the Broncos will cut others - Ron Leary at $7.5million - Brandon Marshall at $4.9million - are almost guaranteed to be cut. It is even possible that Emmanuel Sanders could be cut saving over $10million and Derek Wolfe saving $8.5million.

• Advertisement

paulie21 wrote: »
    Pats trading for Michael Bennett

I know it is easier to do what they do thanks to the benefits they've built up over the years but I don't know how the rest of the league hasn't learnt more from how the Patriots go about their business.

Letting guys go who aren't worth the big money they'll receive in FA, get the comp picks, trade for their replacement with at a cheaper cost. Repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭cosatron

I know it is easier to do what they do thanks to the benefits they've built up over the years but I don't know how the rest of the league hasn't learnt more from how the Patriots go about their business.

Letting guys go who aren't worth the big money they'll receive in FA, get the comp picks, trade for their replacement with at a cheaper cost. Repeat.

Cause the rest of the league dont have bellichick as coach.

cosatron wrote: »
    Cause the rest of the league dont have bellichick as coach.

That process is easier with him at the helm, alongside Brady and his spending a large portion of his career on team friendly deals, numerous other players taking team friendly deals, and institutional knowledge, structure, and strong culture built over decades that allow players to join and quickly succeed.

The basic method though can still be used by other teams though and I would think a lot of times at a cheaper cost. They just continue to ignore that proven route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's mad when ya think about it. If everyone had the same attitude, these linemen, recievers, cornerbacks wouldn't get megadeals, and there'd be more cap room to go around. Veterans would probably stay in the league longer.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's mad when ya think about it. If everyone had the same attitude, these linemen, recievers, cornerbacks wouldn't get megadeals, and there'd be more cap room to go around. Veterans would probably stay in the league longer.

Patriots tend to be the best at targeting market inefficiencies, which there currently are with trades for vets and comp picks.

In your situation, where all teams started trying to do it, then the asking price for trades would probably go up and FA salaries down leading to the Patriots likely starting to pick up FAs instead (or whatever the next inefficiency they spot is).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I think it's down to stability. You don't have a HC or GM in "win now" mode who are on a short least and need immediate success. Belichick is secure so can afford to play the long game, trade picks for a better one next year etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

the Eagles are expected to receive a 2020 fifth-rounder from the Patriots, in exchange for Bennett and a 2020 seventh-rounder.

Also, Eric Weddle to the Rams, and Amendola cut by Miami.

AB to Oakland seems to be the rumour. 2nd and a 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Also, Eric Weddle to the Rams, and Amendola cut by Miami.
    Amendola would be welcomed back in NE. Won't cost a lot, would fit in with Edelman/Gronk and the likely drafted TE/WR that the Pats should target, ease back into a system he knows and a QB that he has a rapport with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Knex. wrote: »
    AB to Oakland seems to be the rumour. 2nd and a 4th.

jesus thats a good deal

Advertisement