Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's mad when ya think about it. If everyone had the same attitude, these linemen, recievers, cornerbacks wouldn't get megadeals, and there'd be more cap room to go around. Veterans would probably stay in the league longer.

The problem is that your worth in the sport is based on the size of your contract. The NFL is driven by money and the way of demonstrating that you are valued is driven by the amount of money you are able to extract from the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

jesus thats a good deal

3rd and 5th apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

3rd and 5th apparently

That's a great deal tbh. Until you see they agreed to rework the deal to make him the highest paid wr. 50 odd million, 30 guaranteed over 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mike mayock is a showing his skills already as a GM. He got Antonio Brown on a trade and still has all three of the raiders first round draft picks for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Great deal for the raiders if he behaves himself, presumably he will now he has his money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its a great value deal picks wise. But his salary is insane for a soon to be 31 year old WR, with known attitude problems:
    According to Pro Football Talk, Brown's guaranteed money over the next three years has shot up to $30.125 million after previously having no money guaranteed on his contract with the Steelers. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that with incentives, Brown can make up to $54.125 million over the next three years. In all, according to Schefter, Brown is getting $19.8 million per year in new money. So, the Raiders -- after refusing to give Khalil Mack the contract he wanted -- are willing to give Brown the money he desires.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-reportedly-heading-to-raiders-for-two-draft-picks-in-trade-with-steelers/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That's a great deal tbh. Until you see they agreed to rework the deal to make him the highest paid wr. 50 odd million, 30 guaranteed over 3 years

I'd rather have a team guy like Mack for $23.5m instead of an aging diva on $19m, but Gruden will always take the offensive guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'd rather have a team guy like Mack for $23.5m instead of an aging diva on $19m, but Gruden will always take the offensive guy.

If you look at the salary in isolation then yes, but you have to take into account the high picks they got for Mack and how little they gave for Brown. I wouldn't be too concerned about the guaranteed money, as they're clearly not planning on cutting him.

Great deal for both AB and Raiders with Steelers chickens come home to roost

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Jon Gruden essentially traded:

Amari Cooper + 3rd round pick + 7th round pick

for

Antonio Brown + 1st round pick

That’s good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Rumours going around that the Raiders will also offer Bell a similar contract. If that happens, and on the off chance Gruden actually drafts well, the Raiders could emerge as a surprise contender.
    A lot of ifs though, more than likely they won't get Bell as well and Gruden/Raiders will waste the draft picks.

Rumours going around that the Raiders will also offer Bell a similar contract. If that happens, and on the off chance Gruden actually drafts well, the Raiders could emerge as a surprise contender.
    A lot of ifs though, more than likely they won't get Bell as well and Gruden/Raiders will waste the draft picks.

Been saying it to my mates last few weeks that AB, Bell & Kyler end up at the Raiders!

Is Mayock not going to have a big say in how they draft though? That should give Raiders fans some comfort. It would also be hard to totally waste four top 40 picks.

That said they have so many holes it’s crazy. That oline nearly got Carr killed last year for a start.

Rumours going around that Bell is badly out of shape but it’s a long way until camp I suppose.

Is Mayock not going to have a big say in how they draft though? That should give Raiders fans some comfort. It would also be hard to totally waste four top 40 picks.

That said they have so many holes it’s crazy. That oline nearly got Carr killed last year for a start.

Rumours going around that Bell is badly out of shape but it’s a long way until camp I suppose.

He’s a actual athlete though & as a RB he doesn’t need to be fit until September. Plenty of time for him.

gstack166 wrote: »
    Jon Gruden essentially traded:

Amari Cooper + 3rd round pick + 7th round pick

for

Antonio Brown + 1st round pick

That’s good work.

Cooper is also due around 14m in 2019 so isn't a massive difference in cap hit than that new AB deal. Cooper will be looking for a new contract and has the same agent as Mack so they avoid that drama too

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the guaranteed money, as they're clearly not planning on cutting him.

Easy to say that now. It could be a very different story in 2 years when hes 34.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Easy to say that now. It could be a very different story in 2 years when hes 34.

He wont be 34 in two years time, in fact he will be 33 when this new contract expires in three years time. He is in absolutely superb shape and has never had a serious injury, I’d be surprised if his production falls off a cliff any time soon. He may not be the vertical threat he is now but he could be a very effective slot receiver in to his thirties IMO.

He wont be 34 in two years time, in fact he will be 33 when this new contract expires in three years time. He is in absolutely superb shape and has never had a serious injury, I’d be surprised if his production falls off a cliff any time soon. He may not be the vertical threat he is now but he could be a very effective slot receiver in to his thirties IMO.

Oops - a typo in that sorry, my bad. 31 starting next season, 33 in two years time was what I meant, as I posted originally. He turns 31 this July, before the season starts. That means he will be going on 34 when the contract expires, though.

Its still a huge contract, with a huge guaranteed sum, to give to a player the wrong side of 30 in a position that relies so much on athleticism.

I wouldn't be worried about Antonio Brown, I'd be worried about Oakland having something resembling a decent team around him.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worried about Antonio Brown, I'd be worried about Oakland having something resembling a decent team around him.

There is that small problem, they were really really bad in 2018 in every phase. They may hit gold in the draft though, who knows.

Guaranteed for Hard Knocks 2019 I would think. I love that show.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Oops - a typo in that sorry, my bad. 31 starting next season, 33 in two years time was what I meant, as I posted originally. He turns 31 this July, before the season starts. That means he will be going on 34 when the contract expires, though.

Its still a huge contract, with a huge guaranteed sum, to give to a player the wrong side of 30 in a position that relies so much on athleticism.

But the contract isn't guaranteed until 34. They've basically guaranteed the first 2 years and he'll be 32 finishing up that season. He hasn't really shown any drop off in performances yet and his skill set doesn't point to him falling off a cliff.

They're paying one of the top WRs in the league top WR money. They aren't a good team right now so to get a FA WR they'd likely have to pay a premium anyway.

If they'd put their future in jeopardy by giving up high draft picks for him I'd agree with you but, as they pretty much stole him in terms of picks, paying the guy what he's currently worth and guaranteeing the first 2 years isn't that much of a risk for a team with a lot of cap space.

There is that small problem, they were really really bad in 2018 in every phase. They may hit gold in the draft though, who knows.

Guaranteed for Hard Knocks 2019 I would think. I love that show.

You think so? Means they would miss out on them when they make the move to Vegas?

gstack166 wrote: »
    You think so? Means they would miss out on them when they make the move to Vegas?

Ah yeah that’s true. Cardinals maybe? Especially if Murray goes there. I don’t really mind who it is though

Chiefs have released Justin Houston. Despite the top guys getting tagged there are some interesting options at edge rusher this year.

Looking forward to all the deals starting to come out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Reports today that the Lions are favourites for Hard Knocks. Can't imagine Quinn and Patricia would be too happy.

Reports today that the Lions are favourites for Hard Knocks. Can't imagine Quinn and Patricia would be too happy.

Thought you were excluded if you made the playoffs in the 3 years previous to it? Lions made the playoffs in 2017.

Edit: I’m wrong, it 2016 & you’re excluded if you made the play offs within the last 2 years.

The eligible teams are:

Lions
    Raiders
    Giants
    49ers
    Redskins

Ah yeah that’s true. Cardinals maybe? Especially if Murray goes there. I don’t really mind who it is though

Can’t be Cardinals, new head coach excludes them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Itssoeasy wrote: »

This is the main concern, otherwise Cooper+3+7 for brown+a first is fantastic value. He's also the most likely elite WR to age well in the last decade imo - his route running, hands and intelligence give him a great chance to still be a 80+ catch player at that age.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    This is the main concern, otherwise Cooper+3+7 for brown+a first is fantastic value. He's also the most likely elite WR to age well in the last decade imo - his route running, hands and intelligence give him a great chance to still be a 80+ catch player at that age.

I'd also wonder how long will derek Carr stay ? He at times last season looked seriously pissed off over the whole situation and I don't think him and gruden get on like a house on fire. Gruden has a contract long term but I think in the end he'll hurt the team more than help them.

Advertisement