Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Foxtrol wrote: »
    First tag of the off-season as 49ers place a franchise tag on Gould. Probably not the most efficient use of resources in spending that much on a kicker that doesn’t have a huge range but this was always likely to happen. Feel there’s a decent chance that they come to a long-term deal by the first game.

It's always been evident that kickers are important to the success of a team but I think recently we've been seeing so many teams struggling to find a kicker and doing poorly because of that. Last year was absolutley bonkers for big kicking misses.

Agree it's a lot to spend on a kicker, think he will be the highest paid with the franchise tag but with his accuracy last season they had to lock him in (97%! Only one missed FG). I imagine they just didn't want him to walk for free and join the Bears, still they have plenty of cap room so money isn't their biggest worry atm.

Like you said his range isn't the best, probably able to squeeze a 55 yarder if he has the right conditions but he's been very consistent over the last number of years.

Is this the first time a kicker has been franchise tagged?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Fairly certain both Tucker and Gostkowski have been tagged in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

"A Tom Brady Rookie Card Sold For A Record Price On eBay, Amounting To 6,781 30-Minute Massages At Orchids Of Asia Day Spa"

What a headline. hahaha

https://brobible.com/sports/article/tom-brady-rookie-card-breaks-ebay-record/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's always been evident that kickers are important to the success of a team but I think recently we've been seeing so many teams struggling to find a kicker and doing poorly because of that. Last year was absolutley bonkers for big kicking misses.

Agree it's a lot to spend on a kicker, think he will be the highest paid with the franchise tag but with his accuracy last season they had to lock him in (97%! Only one missed FG). I imagine they just didn't want him to walk for free and join the Bears, still they have plenty of cap room so money isn't their biggest worry atm.

Like you said his range isn't the best, probably able to squeeze a 55 yarder if he has the right conditions but he's been very consistent over the last number of years.

Is this the first time a kicker has been franchise tagged?

The whole thing about kickers being poor last season is a bit overblown, as the overall quality has rarely been better. There were a number of high profile misses but last year was the 2nd highest FG % ever (highest being 2013) and the best XP % since the new rules came in. I think the misses just came at key moments and in widely covered games, so it just put a bigger focus on them, alongside social media giving fans a greater outlet to rage when kicking isn’t perfect.

Gould’s accuracy was fantastic, but he was in a prime position with the 49ers having a good at moving the ball but continuing to be poor in the red zone. As you said, with that cap space they have the luxury to do this and they likely want as much consistency as they can with Jimmy G coming back and the potential for him to start off rusty.

Given how kickers % average can vary from year to year, Gould would be wise to sign a longer term deal now, as if he has a down year in 2019 he’ll end up being a year older and unlikely to get near the same numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Christian Hackenberg has been benched by the Memphis Express in the AAF for playing poorly.

Still only 24 but surely considered a bust, 3 years since he was a 2nd rounder, moved around 4 teams, couldn't see any playing time for any in the NFL and then flopped out in the AAF.
    Played more games at Croke Park than in the NFL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Randy Gregory hit with his 4th suspension for substance abuse.

Randy Gregory hit with his 4th suspension for substance abuse.

Demarcus Lawrence now has the Cowboys in a terrible spot

Foles not being tagged and let enter FA.

Like Bell it was a bit of a stretch that their team could tag and trade him

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nick Foles is a FA. He will never have to buy a pint in Philly ever again(if he has since the Super Bowl win) and will go down in Eagles history. He's the first Eagles QB to win a championship(including the pre super bowl era) since Norm Van Brocklin lead the Eagles to beat the Packers in the 1960 NFL Championship game.

Wonder if the Eagles are doing this for Foles and all he's done for them.

Wentz could easily go down again this year but I imagine Foles is at a point where he wants to play regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Wentz could easily go down again this year but I imagine Foles is at a point where he wants to play regularly.

His cap number is huge if they want to hold on to him afaik. They can’t afford to keep both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Foles is like 37 and almost retired a few years ago. I get people loved foles' dream run but people who think he had a chance taking wentzs job are insane

Foles is like 37 and almost retired a few years ago. I get people loved foles' dream run but people who think he had a chance taking wentzs job are insane

....the man just turned 30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

....the man just turned 30

Jesus why did I think he was so much older

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Jags is the most obvious fit for him given deFillipo is there and they look to have lost patience with Bortles

Because he's wise beyond his years

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Drafted in 2012. Same draft as (in order):

1. Luck
    2. RGIII
    8. Tannehill
    22. Brandon Weeden :pac:
    57. Osweiler
    75. Wilson
    88. Foles
    102. Cousins
    185. Ryan Lindley

Undrafted: Keenum

That Weeden pick. Oh man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

That was a great draft for QB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Foles is only 30 and you'd have him over Wentz based on last seasons performances. He also did it in a Superbowl and quite well. He had another good performance in the playoffs this season too.
    Wentz has not been the same man since the injury. Rumours have come out that he isn't very popular in the locker room.
    I'd never have thought there was an earthly hope that he would be in contention for Wentz's job even after the Superbowl win but Wentz was poor last season when he came back and it was starting to look a little like a battle for that starting job.
    I think they should have tagged him. See how Wentz does and if it works out you'll have plenty of trading partners when a QB goes down or things don't work out somewhere.
    I think he'll join the Bucs, similar signing to what Carson Palmer was at the Cards when Arians took over there.

If they were doing it for Foles they wouldn’t have exercised their option for 2019 and forced him to give back $2m to get out of that contract.

Eagles can’t afford to keep both and a team would be mad to trade for a tagged Foles, given how much he’d cost on the tag and how he could hit FA again in 2020 season. Eagles would probably need to look for a high price for him based on what they’ll likely get as a comp pick next year if he hit FA.

I’m sure the Eagles wish him well, but this is purely a business decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Fantastic news. He won't be on MNF now.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1101179981089120258

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Blast

Witten has killed us for years and prob will again

Some player in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Oat23 wrote: »
    Fantastic news. He won't be on MNF now.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1101179981089120258

Brilliant. Living in hope that the Bucs bring Booker McFarland out of retirement next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This one is weird, kind of wacky, and pretty awesome if they manage it.

Former Rams QB Marc Bulger, Chiefs/Vikings DE Jared Allen, Titans LB Keith Bulluck and Titans LT Michael Roos has all got together in an effort to make the Olympics... in of all things, curling.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/47290897
    Athletes can never get rid of that competitive itch.

Even in retirement, it lingers. An itch that can only be scratched by a new challenge.

So when four former NFL pros decided to form a curling team, there was only one goal in sight - the Winter Olympics.

At first Jared suggested badminton. I watched videos and decided there was no way we could do that

Marc Bulger
    "I've played in the Pro Bowl and I've won MVP, but I would put reaching the Olympics side-by-side with that if we could qualify," Marc Bulger tells BBC Sport.

Between them, Bulger, Jared Allen, Keith Bulluck and Michael Roos have made 601 NFL appearances and played nine Pro Bowls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

(CNN)Jared Allen spent 12 years in the NFL terrorizing quarterbacks with 136 career sacks, 11th all-time in league history. A four-time All Pro and five-time Pro Bowler, Allen is likely a Pro Football Hall of Fame candidate when he becomes eligible in 2021.
    But he has some major plans for 2022.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/04/sport/jared-allen-nfl-curling-team-spt-intl/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Brilliant. Living in hope that the Bucs bring Booker McFarland out of retirement next year.

And hopefully the Chargers strike a deal to get 67 year old Dan Fouts out of retirement too...Rivers needs an experienced backup QB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Chiefs franchise tag Dee Ford

If somehow we manage to ditch Ford and Houston while keeping Eric Sick Note Berry I'll be ****ing livid

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This is hilarious

36zkzj9g60k21.jpg

Posted in the draft thread a table of the value of the picks each team has for the draft. The graph below expands on this and provides a great insight into what teams have to play with going into the off season, by including their cap space.

It really shows which teams are extremely limited in their options to improve, with the Bears and Saints obvious highlights in this.

https://twitter.com/lee_sharpe/status/1102337147556618240

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Foles is off to Jacksonville, good fit for him .

Advertisement