Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 208e 50kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

160,000 8 year warranty on battery.
    looks slippery and low enough to actually get decent range out of Town.
    No battery rental mentioned which is good.

Zoe becomes less desirable after this gets released.

I've taken delivery of a Zoe and it will do for two years by which time this or the Opel Corsa EV based on it will be available to me.
    110ps Zoe is pokey enough and faster than 9 out of 10 cars in City driving but this should be impressively fast in all circumstances without qualification needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why is the range so middling with that advertised battery size ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will it actually be €25,000 before incentives?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

About 90,000km before you recoup the difference between the ICE and EV on fuel costs alone which isn’t to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The new Zoe will be out soon, specs look almost identical. I reckon it will be another Clio vs. 205/206/207/208. Or maybe Monsieur/Madam would like a Citroen instead. The PSA and Renault will be competitors and you let your own preferences to decide which one you drive home. It's interesting anyway that only the French (this includes Opel) are planning supermini electric cars at the moment as that segment is very price conscious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,346 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That black around the wheel arches makes it look like it's on stilts , like it's a mini monster truck

1nz2092.jpg

samih wrote: »
    The new Zoe will be out soon, specs look almost identical. I reckon it will be another Clio vs. 205/206/207/208. Or maybe Monsieur/Madam would like a Citroen instead. The PSA and Renault will be competitors and you let your own preferences to decide which one you drive home. It's interesting anyway that only the French (this includes Opel) are planning supermini electric cars at the moment as that segment is very price conscious.
    The new Zoe will be a refreshed current Zoe, not based on the Clio Mk5. It is simply too tall and has too poor a drag co-efficient to get good out of town range.
    The renault and nissan new EV platform doesn't come until 2021/2022.
    The current Zoe doesn't handle well because it is too tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,346 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looks like a car sitting on rims with no tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BobMc

I like it, due to buy in '20 too, for a 2nd car be right up out street, might be time to buy electric too, only do about 6k per year in our 2nd car

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BobMc wrote: »
    I like it, due to buy in '20 too, for a 2nd car be right up out street, might be time to buy electric too, only do about 6k per year in our 2nd car

6k a year, you could be doing in a 2011 Leaf!
    What would be the max distance you'd travel in any one trip currently in the 2nd car?

• Advertisement

But it's a Peugeot !

c0127.gif

animated-running-image-0041.gif

rivegauche wrote: »
    The new Zoe will be a refreshed current Zoe, not based on the Clio Mk5. It is simply too tall and has too poor a drag co-efficient to get good out of town range.
    The renault and nissan new EV platform doesn't come until 2021/2022.
    The current Zoe doesn't handle well because it is too tall.

Great info. Every day is a school day.

I think it will be a Corsa EV for me in early 2021 because Opel generally offer better deals for company cars than all our other suppliers. I don't need space, just refinement and range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Why are you waiting until next year and looking to spend €25k on a second car to do 6k km per year?

Buy a Leaf now and save yourself about €17k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BobMc

kceire wrote: »
    6k a year, you could be doing in a 2011 Leaf!
    What would be the max distance you'd travel in any one trip currently in the 2nd car?
    tis about 7k, each way 14/15k 5 days a week, mainly we do in car no.2

2010 Clio just broke 65k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

tis about 7k, each way 14/15k 5 days a week, mainly we do in car no.2

2010 Clio just broke 65k

Obviously it's your money, but €25k for that mileage is madness IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ted1 wrote: »
    About 90,000km before you recoup the difference between the ICE and EV on fuel costs alone which isn’t to bad

Where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Soarer wrote: »
    Obviously it's your money, but €25k for that mileage is madness IMO.

A starving man would think its madness paying for a bag of chips for what you could buy 2kg potatoes for.

So its all relative.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I wonder what the battery cooling situation is like.

Re range - the WLTP is supposed to be a lot closer to real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Old diesel wrote: »
    I wonder what the battery cooling situation is like.

Re range - the WLTP is supposed to be a lot closer to real world.

More info here

https://pushevs.com/2019/02/25/peugeot-e-208-official-specs/

Fluid cooled battery, mentions cabin cooling too, bit weird

340km Wltp

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Where did you get that from?

I saw somewhere it’s 16k for a petrol version v 25k for Ev.

Costs roughly 10 euro of fuel for 100km

So 9k euro equates to 90,000 km.

The charging costs are recouped because it’s really 10.50 euro per km.

Looks about right

Usually I would agree with comparison in favour of ICE

In this case i think the EV is worth it for even average 20k km a year driver

Fuel pay back is a few years and it's a much better car

136bhp, nippy 8 secs to 60 vs that crappy 1.2 75bhp manual petrol

You can borrow a diesel or petrol for long trips, hope they offer that here

So 9k euro equates to 90,000 km.

Serious flaw in your logic there. The EV will keep its value far better relatively speaking. Lets say both are bought next year and sold 4 years after that

EV still worth 17k, petrol worth 8k. Depreciation on EV 2k per year and on petrol also 2k per year

In other words, the second you drive your brand new EV from the forecourt your payback has finished and you start saving money compared to petrol :D

If you have to finance the car (i.e. PCP) and you pay hefty interest rates on it, it will take a little bit longer, maybe up to a year or two

unkel wrote: »
    Serious flaw in your logic there. The EV will keep its value far better relatively speaking. Lets say both are bought next year and sold 4 years after that

EV still worth 17k, petrol worth 8k. Depreciation on EV 2k per year and on petrol also 2k per year

In other words, the second you drive your brand new EV from the forecourt your payback has finished and you start saving money compared to petrol :D

If you have to finance the car (i.e. PCP) and you pay hefty interest rates on it, it will take a little bit longer, maybe up to a year or two

In 4 years there will be plenty more EV available, Depreciation may be more on the EV that you suspect. Also in your example they are both 8K do cost the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Priced keenly enough, but very hard to get excited about it in terms of looks or specs. It'll be up against the Honda Urban -- looking forward to getting a closer look at that from the Geneva Motor Show.

The looks are bit odd due to "stretched over a large floorpan with tiny glasshouse on the top", pretty much opposite to the L40, and front looks massively long and tall due to crash protection, both collision and pedestrians, I guess. The interior looks really nice though and probably has good space at the back due to no battery under the floor at the footwell areas.

The battery system looks very expensive to manufacture due to multiple modules spread around but otherwise this looks like winner. Performance both charging and acceleration seem more than enough for a smaller European car. If they can really sell this for 25k without subsidies (price probably does't include VAT) it will sell well. Should be about 20k+delivery then in Ireland.

https://d2t6ms4cjod3h9.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/additional_4-898x528.jpg

looks complicated which adds to cost

If Renault Zoe which is based on a generation older platform can hit 300km wltp with a 41kw battery they should be able to hit 330km with a 42kw battery in a lower lighter chassis.

I'm still interested in it for my next car but I like smaller batteries. I have a huge choice of slower chargers and can even use slow chargers intended for PHEVs but the choice of higher speed chargers isn't great. A 41kw Zoe can charge fast enough for me not to complain. Charging a 50 or 60kw with a slower charger isn't something I would enjoy.

I think this is confirmation to other manufacturers that racing to market with EVs on ICE chassis is not right strategy and dedicated chassis for EV is the right solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Casati

I think it looks great, the ev debate will of course continue to when we see actual pricing, and if the all important grants continue into the future. It’s unlikely grants are going anywhere for the next few years so looks like exciting times for new ev owners ahead

If you had to pay just 9k to go from a manual 1.2 75 Bhp into an (auto) EV with over 200 mile range I can see a lot of folks finding that extra 9k

• Advertisement

In 4 years there will be plenty more EV available, Depreciation may be more on the EV that you suspect.

Maybe. Maybe depreciation on ICE will be even more. Remember buying this car next year and keeping it for 4 years brings us to well into 2024. Just before the total ban on all new ICE cars in Norway and we'll only be a few years away from it here in Ireland :eek:

No one will want an ICE car at that stage unless they're dirt cheap.
    Also in your example they are both 8K do cost the same.

Yes indeed. So if you didn't take out finance on the car, you will start saving money in the EV (compared to the much cheaper to buy ICE) the second you step inside it :)

Advertisement