Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot 208e 50kWh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,726 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lumen wrote: »
    Not sure it has been mentioned yet

Yes it has. Will people look at that bloody clip I posted (post #194), Nyland has done all the hard work here showing exactly how the car charges and how that compares to some of the competition :p
    unkel wrote: »
    It starts throttling very quickly. You only get the 100kW for a very short while. Still it charges better than any other EV for that sort of money. Which is a bit pathetic (2C for just a very short while) in 2020 while cars like Ioniq could do close to 3C prolonged back in 2016

Here is a recent video from Nyland that shows the throttling (compared with other EVs in class). Starting at near 100kW but already down to just 76kW at just 20% SOC :rolleyes: it keeps that up for a while but then throttles further down to just 52kW at 48% SOC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The recent 1000km challenge video he posted shows exactly how to take a long trip in the fastest way.

For me, I prefer longer stops less frequently.

Now charge a cold 208 battery and see what happens.

It used to take me around 50 mins to get from 20-85% in a 24 kWh leaf with a not so warm battery.

Pity the 208 is so slow. That’s really bad in this day and age especially since electrics run out at puff at higher speeds.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It maintains 125A up to 70%, it will probably be winter before we see how the cold affects it. The newer battery chemistries have sacrificed power density to reduce cost and increase energy density. I think it's one of the downsides of reducing the levels of Cobalt.

Now charge a cold 208 battery and see what happens.

It used to take me around 50 mins to get from 20-85% in a 24 kWh leaf with a not so warm battery.

Pity the 208 is so slow. That’s really bad in this day and age especially since electrics run out at puff at higher speeds.
    I remember those days too.
    I did a ~90km motorway trip and arrived with 10% (so ideal for charging) but it took nearly 1 hour to reach the 88% I needed to the next one.

Half that time and good for double the distance in Ioniq :D

liamog wrote: »
    I ran Karlsruhe to Brussels through abetterrouteplanner using the eNiro and an e208.
    e-Niro took 2 stops (26+17) for 489km, the e208 3 stops and 504km.

You can make the e-Niro do it in one stop by charging for an hour at the Ionity just south of Niederzissen.

Look the car either works for you or it doesn't, but throwing hypothetical long journeys at it is forcing a use case that is not ideal.
    You'll tend to find recommendations on whether an EV is suitable on this forum turn into: buy one if that type of journey is only a couple of times a year, but if it's closer to once a month then it's probably too early.
    My max and probable spend will be approx. 47k retail including tax. Hopefully there will be an El Born FR or Highline ID3 that suits me at that price but the e208 is very attractive because in GT trim it is spec'd perfectly for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

My max and probable spend will be approx. 47k retail including tax. Hopefully there will be an El Born FR or Highline ID3 that suits me at that price but the e208 is very attractive because in GT trim it is spec'd perfectly for me.

Or, if 400km trips are regular enough, you could get a Tesla Model 3 for mid €40k in Germany.

Not available to me and won't be available so long as there is no maintenance outlet is the locality.

Do they plan a e208 with a bit of power ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Do they plan a e208 with a bit of power ?

Supposedly though I'm not sure on the timelines

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/peugeot/peugeot-e-208-sport/

Supposedly though I'm not sure on the timelines

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/peugeot/peugeot-e-208-sport/

That’s pretty meh.

Nobby on cars review posted today:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I got a red one!

519252.jpg

Been driving it since last Friday. Coming from an 07 Honda Fit, it is a massive step up in comfort and smooth driving. At the moment it looks like maybe I can stretch two days between charges for me (I live in Navan and work in Walkinstown, thats 60km each way so 240 total), but supposedly it will improve a bit as I drive it more. I'm happy with it though. Zappi home charger files it up in a few hours (have a night meter due to be installed in the next day or two).

Well wear! The red suits the sporty looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I got a red one!

519252.jpg

Been driving it since last Friday. Coming from an 07 Honda Fit, it is a massive step up in comfort and smooth driving. At the moment it looks like maybe I can stretch two days between charges for me (I live in Navan and work in Walkinstown, thats 60km each way so 240 total), but supposedly it will improve a bit as I drive it more. I'm happy with it though. Zappi home charger files it up in a few hours (have a night meter due to be installed in the next day or two).

Best of luck with it but that bolded part won't happen unless you mean your driving style will adapt.

JPA wrote: »
    Best of luck with it but that bolded part won't happen unless you mean your driving style will adapt.

Yeah, at first I thought it did mean that the battery runs better as it settles in, but I do realise that it just means the range will become more accurate on the dash. My driving has changed a bit in the past week, so hopefully I can continue to drive it better and get as long a range as possible.

I can drive it in D gear which is just regular drive, or I can drive it in B gear which has regenerative braking, which helps recharge the battery. Is there a reason to not always drive in B gear? Is regenerative braking hard on the brakes or something?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,401 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, at first I thought it did mean that the battery runs better as it settles in, but I do realise that it just means the range will become more accurate on the dash. My driving has changed a bit in the past week, so hopefully I can continue to drive it better and get as long a range as possible.

Also be prepared for it to have less range come winter time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I can drive it in D gear which is just regular drive, or I can drive it in B gear which has regenerative braking, which helps recharge the battery. Is there a reason to not always drive in B gear? Is regenerative braking hard on the brakes or something?

Generalisation, but for me then B around town as never really get going and lots slowing/stopping for traffic, lights etc. On the open road then D as you do not want to be slowing the car down too much only to have to accelerate a few moments later

I got a red one!

Nice one well wear!

Don't be bothered about getting 2 days from a charge, enjoy driving it, don't be watching it all the time to see how much you can get out of it on your daily commute, commutes are boring enough and don't risk getting stuck if the weather turns bad leaving it 2 days, not worth it and you don't need to do that, just think what you're saving over the most frugal diesel.

When I got the 24 Kwh Leaf 5.5 Years ago I had 21 usable Kwh and needed to charge at a fast charger on the way home after each shift for about 10-20 mins, I won't get into the dirty details about the issues at the Naas charger but I would have given anything for the range you have now so enjoy! :D

The 24 Kwh leaf also charged God awful slow, 20-80 % could have taken 50 mins if the battery was cold and about 30 mins if it was around 21 deg C :D

Get energia, new account is the cheapest on the go now.

I had free work charging in the last Job and now it will cost me around 35 Euro's PM to get from Carlow to Grange Castle in Dublin and back or a little cheaper when I create a new energia account in the missus name, no big deal. I'd pay more than that in a diesel for a week.

Nice one well wear!

Don't be bothered about getting 2 days from a charge, enjoy driving it, don't be watching it all the time to see how much you can get out of it on your daily commute, commutes are boring enough and don't risk getting stuck if the weather turns bad leaving it 2 days, not worth it and you don't need to do that, just think what you're saving over the most frugal diesel.

When I got the 24 Kwh Leaf 5.5 Years ago I had 21 usable Kwh and needed to charge at a fast charger on the way home after each shift for about 10-20 mins, I won't get into the dirty details about the issues at the Naas charger but I would have given anything for the range you have now so enjoy! :D

The 24 Kwh leaf also charged God awful slow, 20-80 % could have taken 50 mins if the battery was cold and about 30 mins if it was around 21 deg C :D

Get energia, new account is the cheapest on the go now.

I had free work charging in the last Job and now it will cost me around 35 Euro's PM to get from Carlow to Grange Castle in Dublin and back or a little cheaper when I create a new energia account in the missus name, no big deal. I'd pay more than that in a diesel for a week.

I'm not actually leaving 2 days between charges, I had just thought with motorway speeds I would get only 3 60km journeys on it.

I have ordered a night meter so I can charge it overnight, I worked it out that it will then cost me ~ €60 a month (if 5 days/week, 2x 60km journeys a day). It is a big saving from the €350-€400 I was spending monthly on petrol in the Honda Fit. I'm stuck with Electric Ireland until December (10c/kWh on night rate), but hopefully I'll get an even better rate when I change over then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

I got a red one!

519252.jpg

Nice one.... I'm hoping to get mine next Monday or Tuesday... I went for the Grey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Both D and B have regenerative braking, it’s just stronger in B. Also the regen braking is using the electric motor to slow you down, so it’s actually easier on the brakes than normal.

Celticfire wrote: »
    Nice one.... I'm hoping to get mine next Monday or Tuesday... I went for the Grey.

I was going to get the grey but my wife said:
    "Don't get the grey, your old car was grey, it will be like you didn't get a new car at all!" :D.

• Advertisement

I really like the Blue e208 Colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

SO whatg range is this car hgetting?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SO whatg range is this car hgetting?

My work journey (Navan to Walkinstown, M3 and M50) uses ~ a quarter of the battery. So, at least in summer, it seems to have a range of ~ 240kms (a good bit of that is motorway at 120km/h).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Does the e208 come with a Granny lead for charging? I have seen a couple of videos where they say it does not but I wonder is this market dependent.

Miscreant wrote: »
    Does the e208 come with a Granny lead for charging? I have seen a couple of videos where they say it does not but I wonder is this market dependent.

Mine only came with a granny lead for charging.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I got a red one!

Congratulations on the motor, I think I saw you yesterday (I was walking the navan bypass beside the boyne.) I said "That's a 202 reg" to my wife whilst thinking that's a different looking Peugeot. I didn't think it was electric!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

1 week today since we got ours, an unplanned trip to Cork before the home charger was supposed to be installed today meant a first use of public chargers.

Is taking some to get used to but so far so good, our range wouldn't be the best example while we are in the 'getting used to' phase.

Ours is blue, love it.

stopped in to a peugeot dealer and they said the 11kw cable would cost around 600 quid. 11kw are available for under 200 quid so that price is a bit saucy not that I will be paying the price of it if I order an e208.

stopped in to a peugeot dealer and they said the 11kw cable would cost around 600 quid. 11kw are available for under 200 quid so that price is a bit saucy not that I will be paying the price of it if I order an e208.

Was that the 11kW cable, or the optional 11kW charger on the car?

the cable. the granny cable comes free. 11kw onboard charger is in the retail price of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mine only came with a granny lead for charging.

That's disgraceful.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

How are you meant to use the public charging when you don't even have a type 2 cable of any kind.

Be wary of a 11kw 3 phase cable too, they will only charge at 3.6kw on a single phase connection! And 600 euro to boot!

the cable. the granny cable comes free. 11kw onboard charger is in the retail price of the car.

The standard onboard charger is 7kW, there was on option to upgrade it to 11kW when I was pricing it up, if memory serves it was around €500.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The standard onboard charger is 7kW, there was on option to upgrade it to 11kW when I was pricing it up, if memory serves it was around €500.

Thought it was a bit ****ty a type 2 didn't come as standard, managed to get our dealer to come down to €400 on it.

Without naming the dealership we dealt with and it could be an isolated case, they didn't seem to know a lot about the e208 givem they are so new. Boards, Facebook and YouTube have been key research tools which isn't ideal when we are/were clueless about EVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Thought it was a bit ****ty a type 2 didn't come as standard, managed to get our dealer to come down to €400 on it.

Without naming the dealership we dealt with and it could be an isolated case, they didn't seem to know a lot about the e208 givem they are so new. Boards, Facebook and YouTube have been key research tools which isn't ideal when we are/were clueless about EVs.

It's common for dealers to not be up to speed on EVs.

They are used to selling diesels and petrols and the EV market still isn't big.

• Advertisement

The standard onboard charger is 7kW, there was on option to upgrade it to 11kW when I was pricing it up,
    Not where I am and it is one of the reasons why I'm more interested in the e208 than the corsa-e
    ...anyhow for either 7kw or 11kw there is no cable included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Ok just for clarity

Standard is 7kW on board charger but if you upgrade to 11kW and you have a 7kW point at home itll only charge at 3.6kW?
    Or is it you will need a type 2 and a 3 phase cable at all times to maximise charging ability if you have the 11kW charger??

gar wrote: »
    Ok just for clarity

Standard is 7kW on board charger but if you upgrade to 11kW and you have a 7kW point at home itll only charge at 3.6kW?
    Or is it you will need a type 2 and a 3 phase cable at all times to maximise charging ability if you have the 11kW charger??

There is talk on speakev that the 11kW on board charger will only charge at 3.6kW on a 32A single phase charge point (what we normally have at home)

There is talk on speakev that the 11kW on board charger will only charge at 3.6kW on a 32A single phase charge point (what we normally have at home)
    That's if you use a 16a 3 phase cable.
    If you use a 32a cable it will charge at 7kW

JPA wrote: »
    That's disgraceful.

Yep. It's not a massive issue for me, the vast majority of my charging will be at home, but I will need to source a cable just in case. I guess if Peugeot are charging €600 for it, then at least I will save money as I can see them for sub €200 (e.g here).

I need to figure out which on-board charger I have though (to see if I should get the 3-phase cable), as I didn't realise there was options and I was never offered anything when purchasing the car.

ELM327 wrote: »

I have a tethered Zappi charger and it reads as charging the car with 7kW (7.2 or 7.4kW).

I have a tethered Zappi charger and it reads as charging the car with 7kW (7.2 or 7.4kW).
    So you must have a 32a single phase cable to the Zappi

Cool, was a while since I check in, there was some speculation that the onboard charger was capable of splitting the 32A current.

So you must have a 32a single phase cable to the Zappi

The Zappi is probably only 32A single phase too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So an 11kw onboard charging car like the Peugeot or the i3 will charge at 7.2kw on the Zappi 2?

Advertisement