Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Can anyone give me a quick recap about the Myles Price/Peter Queally fight?

Queally said he was a traitor or something. Did price leave SBG under bad circumstances? Don't want to get everyone on here arguing, just wondered on the background to this!

He happened to be over training in AKA in the build up to McGregor v Khabib and people made a big deal out of it that he was a traitor for helping Khabib against a fellow Irishman. Nonsense stuff.

On the back of that Myles done an interview about how he disliked his time at SBG when he was a young lad, never felt part of the crowd and didn't like Conor at all. He left and joined Team Ryano. That's about the extent of it from what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

ASOT wrote: »
    He's split his training between dca and Charlestown this camp anyway. Think Collies in his corner tomorrow along with Owen (I could be wrong though). Seems to be getting a great mix and improving really well.

Pushing for it big time on ones social media, but like you said he needs to get through his fight next month. Will be an absolute cracker, hoping for another big elbow win. Surely would have a fight with One sown up them! It's mad how far he's come

Yeah it's been unreal. I was training at lionheart when the doc was filmed a couple of years back when he was running through the cage kings line up taken some big steps since then though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Whelo79 wrote: »
    He happened to be over training in AKA in the build up to McGregor v Khabib and people made a big deal out of it that he was a traitor for helping Khabib against a fellow Irishman. Nonsense stuff.

On the back of that Myles done an interview about how he disliked his time at SBG when he was a young lad, never felt part of the crowd and didn't like Conor at all. He left and joined Team Ryano. That's about the extent of it from what I know.
    I don't buy the traitor stuff either Nate done it on Dillon Danis too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeah it's been unreal. I was training at lionheart when the doc was filmed a couple of years back when he was running through the cage kings line up taken some big steps since then though!

He's come a long way, so has the gym. I hope he goes on to be number 1. Puts in the work needed anyway, his little bro will be a killer as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

On the back of that Myles done an interview about how he disliked his time at SBG whern he was a young lad, never felt part of the crowd and didn't like Conor at all. He left and joined Team Ryano. That's about the extent of it from what I know.

Thought I seen something a few years ago about a rivalry between sbg and team Ryano.

Remember someone coming out and denying it.

• Advertisement

He's come a long way, so has the gym. I hope he goes on to be number 1. Puts in the work needed anyway, his little bro will be a killer as well.

Be some achievement to get to number 1 in that weight class!

jimmii wrote: »
    Be some achievement to get to number 1 in that weight class!

He would have to go over to Thailand for that I'd say, he's 11th now and was 9th still some achievement. Niall mcgreevy who's 20th was over with Tony in Samui last year seemed to have done him the world of good.

Thought I seen something a few years ago about a rivalry between sbg and team Ryano.

Remember someone coming out and denying it.

There will be a rivalry of sorts, they are the two biggest gyms in the country. John Kavanagh and Andy Ryan pretty much both started the MMA movement together (along with a few others), trained together etc. When John set up SBG on the Southside I believe Andy was offered the chance to set up SBG Northside but he decised against it and created Team Ryano.

He would have to go over to Thailand for that I'd say, he's 11th now and was 9th still some achievement.

Yeah for sure. A fight vs Savvas in Thailand for king of the farangs at 135 would be fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Price was off with Khabib during his came to fight McGregor.

No he wasn't. Myles trains regularly in San Jose and has for ages, he wasn't there as part of Khabibs camp at all, they just use the same gym and are around the same size so they spar sometimes.

He left SGB to get better coaching with higher standard training partners.

• Advertisement

No he wasn't. Myles trains regularly in San Jose and has for ages, he wasn't there as part of Khabibs camp at all, they just use the same gym and are around the same size so they spar sometimes.

I was answering the lads question, that was the narrative used by queally etc. Your compleatly spot on though that's the actually story with him.

I'm not sure if there is any truth behind that statement ??

Quotes from Myles

“I’ll be honest with you, I never really got on well with Conor within the gym because me and Conor sparred a lot. At the time, Conor was taking fights at lightweight,” Price said on the latest episode of Eurobash.

“I understand the hierarchy within gyms. Even here at AKA you have heated spars, but afterwards we shake each other’s hands, we talk about what we can work on and develop as training partners or as a team."

“Basically, with Conor, he’s quite narcissistic. He’ll see you as competition. He’s not very nice to be around in the gym. If you’re giving him hard spars, he won’t see you as a friend after a while.”

And more recent

“My SBG experience was a great one. John Kavanaugh is a great coach. I just wasn’t a very stable young man at that time, I didn’t have my s–t together and was not turning up to training so I decided it best for the team to leave.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Surely Queally and Price are just hamming up the "traitor rat" angle to drum up a bit of interest. I somehow doubt any of SBG were particularly bothered about Khabib training with Price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Do any of the SBG lads ever actually do any training? I'm just curious, as I can't work out how the are enough hours in the day left for it after they leave comments like "animal", "savage" and "****ing lethal" on every last single one of their mate's social media posts.

Do any of the SBG lads ever actually do any training? I'm just curious, as I can't work out how the are enough hours in the day left for it after they leave comments like "animal", "savage" and "****ing lethal" on every last single one of their mate's social media posts.

Also Unit, or beast.

I love the phrase we collect heads that's popular with them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Haha, I've been waiting for the usual SBG begrudgers to come in and have their say.

Not one bad word said about any non SBG fighter, you lads are so see through its comical.

It's a glorified card of similar standard to anything else put on in Europe outside of the UFC, what's the issue? Nobody is pretending it's anything else. It's the best available pro Irish fighters all on the one card under the Bellator banner and ticket prices reflect that. Again, what's the issue?

The issue is its being marketed as some world class event when in fact its very low level pro MMA.

SBG are easy to dislike, they are delusional about their abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I personally do think the matchmaking is ridiculous. Gallagher is a 1/5 favorite, Queally 1/4, Smullen 2/7 and Ward 2/5. That’s before you even look at some of the prices on the undercard.

They’re hand-picked matchups with the intention of every home fighter winning given the amount of investment that Bellator have made in essentially buying out BAMMA and now being forced to find a way to build fighters who probably aren’t worth it or deserving of it. Harsh, especially from someone behind a computer screen who wouldn’t have the balls to do what they do, but from a promotional viewpoint that’s the reality for all but a couple.

It will also be annoying when all or all but one of the hometown lads win against relative cans and we constantly here how it’s “on a par with the night of UFC Dublin” forever more. It shouldn’t even be comparable.

That said, live events are really enjoyable. The arena will be sold out, there’s hours worth of action, the atmosphere will be good and the tickets aren’t expensive. It’s a great day and night out regardless of the matchmaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Simo08

Paully D wrote: »
    I personally do think the matchmaking is ridiculous. Gallagher is a 1/5 favorite, Queally 1/4, Smullen 2/7 and Ward 2/5. That’s before you even look at some of the prices on the undercard.

They’re hand-picked matchups with the intention of every home fighter winning given the amount of investment that Bellator have made in essentially buying out BAMMA and now being forced to find a way to build fighters who probably aren’t worth it or deserving of it. Harsh, especially from someone behind a computer screen who wouldn’t have the balls to do what they do, but from a promotional viewpoint that’s the reality for all but a couple.

It will also be annoying when all or all but one of the hometown lads win against relative cans and we constantly here how it’s “on a par with the night of UFC Dublin” forever more. It shouldn’t even be comparable.

That said, live events are really enjoyable. The arena will be sold out, there’s hours worth of action, the atmosphere will be good and the tickets aren’t expensive. It’s a great day and night out regardless of the matchmaking.

Quealliy is 1/4, would people give Price a chance against him or are the odds fair?

dulux99 wrote: »

Oh the joyyyyy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

dulux99 wrote: »

Ah jaysus I never not cheer for an Irish athlete but even impersonating the laugh is too much for me.

Is the first fight 6pm tonight then main card 9?

Is the first fight 6pm tonight then main card 9?

Early early prelims are at 5. Ticketmaster never sent out our tickets so I have to collect them at the box office which is a bit of a nightmare.

Early early prelims are at 5. Ticketmaster never sent out our tickets so I have to collect them at the box office which is a bit of a nightmare.

Your joking you should of selected email dispatch mate. That ticket office can be a nuisance especially with the sell out I'd say alot will be at ticket office

Your joking you should of selected email dispatch mate. That ticket office can be a nuisance especially with the sell out I'd say alot will be at ticket office

Yeah my mate had used my account and card to buy them for us but selected the hard copies, now I'm going to be left doing the donkey work as they need my card at the box office. Great start to the day.

Yeah my mate had used my account and card to buy them for us but selected the hard copies, now I'm going to be left doing the donkey work as they need my card at the box office. Great start to the day.

I'm aiming to get in for Curta on. I just hope the running order is as bellator have it listed

Paully D wrote: »

A lot of that pricing is set on where the bookies expect the majority of money to be going and where the actual money has gone. It's not really reflective of the person's chances of winning. You can't judge matchmaking on bookies odds here in my opinion. Not many Irish people will be backing against the Irish fighters.

I'm aiming to get in for Curta on. I just hope the running order is as bellator have it listed

I'd say head in for 6.30ish to be safe. 7 at the latest to make sure your in for that.

I'd say head in for 6.30ish to be safe. 7 at the latest to make sure your in for that.

I'm aiming for 6 told the young lad we'd go for a nandos make a day of it. He's patiently waiting on the sofa dressed since 10am

• Advertisement

A lot of that pricing is set on where the bookies expect the majority of money to be going and where the actual money has gone. It's not really reflective of the person's chances of winning. You can't judge matchmaking on bookies odds here in my opinion. Not many Irish people will be backing against the Irish fighters.

Yah surely mental thinking cause bookies makes someone a favourite they will do the business.

Advertisement