Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    F*ck that sh*t. Great show.

I'm disappointed as I enjoyed it too. It got bad reviews for the first season but got renewed for the second one cos people were binge watching it.

I wonder were there not as many viewers for the second season?

'The Bachelor Party' episode in S2 had me in stitches!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm disappointed as I enjoyed it too. It got bad reviews for the first season but got renewed for the second one cos people were binge watching it.

I wonder were there not as many viewers for the second season?

'The Bachelor Party' episode in S2 had me in stitches!

Probably because people did binge watch the first season and realised they didn't like it. There's a lot of new things that get watched by millions as soon as they're released, but it doesn't mean they actually like it or would go back for more. I would imagine that's the case here. I remember when S1 was released it was what everyone was talking about watching but most of the reaction was negative.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think Netflix looks primarily at first/second week views as part of the decision making process.

It's funny, the show You was on some other network and had a few hundred views, put on Netflix and put on the front page, it gets loads of views and renewed immediately for S2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Probably because people did binge watch the first season and realised they didn't like it. There's a lot of new things that get watched by millions as soon as they're released, but it doesn't mean they actually like it or would go back for more. I would imagine that's the case here. I remember when S1 was released it was what everyone was talking about watching but most of the reaction was negative.

I enjoyed the first season but I didn't make it past the first couple of episodes of the second season. I'm not even really sure why I lost interest. I'll get back to it shortly, I sure... It wasn't really must watch tv for me.

Started watching the Umbrella Academy and I've enjoyed the episodes I've seen, more so than any of the other superhero series I've seen recently - I am starting to suffer from serious fatigue with the genre so wasn't going to bother with it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

peteeeed wrote: »

Goddam it!! Really enjoyed the show, this is dissapounting to say the least!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What show are you guys talking about? Can't see embedded tweets at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What show are you guys talking about? Can't see embedded tweets at work.

Friends from College.

Maybe I'm in a minority but I don't get why people would watch a full season of something they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I haven't got around to watching the second season of Friends From College, wasn't mad about the first season. Does it get a proper end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Maybe I'm in a minority but I don't get why people would watch a full season of something they don't like.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate-watching

I think with a platform like Netflix people are more likely to do it. Especially if it's something that's gotten a lot of attention or hype around it. I sat through the entire first season of The OA because everyone was talking about it and I kept thinking it would get better and then you're at a point where there's only a few episodes left and you might as well finish it.
    Learned my lesson with that one. If a show doesn't suck me in and keep my interest immediately I either don't bother or I'll go back to it at a later point and watch it at a much slower pace.
    Also I think binge watching is the new "water cooler TV" as they used to call it. You know that everyone at work, school, online etc. is going to be talking about a certain show and if you don't watch it all this weekend you'll be left out on Monday.

The fact you can consume a whole season over one rainy Saturday makes people more likely to watch something in its entirety even if they don't particularly like it. There are a lot of Netflix shows that, had they been on TV on a weekly basis, would never have lasted past S1, or even gotten a full season in the case of American ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Only got around to watching and finishing Narcos-Mexico this weekend. Not a bad show and apparently season 2 on its way aswell.

Decided to rewatch El Chapo because of his life sentence last week. I'm really enjoying it again, would give it a 9/10. My only real criticism of it is that there is so little character continuity, it might mimic his chaotic real life but people just come in and out of the show so easily. If it wasn't for Sol and to a lesser extent Ismael you don't really 'get to know' anybody on the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Watched 3 or 4 episodes of the umbrella academy and really enjoying it with my wife. Its fun and while there are moments Im sort of going "that could be better" I am generally going along for the ride , its just a bit of fun . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Actually i am noticing this more and more with streaming now.

when Ii had two channels, for a number of years as a kid after we moved from Dublin to Connemara, there was generally something to watch most of teh time. Much better when I moved back east and could add in the main free to air uk channels again - C4, BBC, UTV.

Then when I got 100+ channels or whatever number is on my virgin package it was the old "100 channels and nothing on" issue.

Netflix + amazon prime solved that for a while, generally there was a number of options to choose to watch next. Now i am getting back to the stage where there just isn't alot that is grabbing me. I find myself finishing a series like I would finish a book that was "ok" but not really grabbing me. To get on to the next book (or series in this case) that I am looking forward to so finishing is almost a chore that needs to be done first.

Excessive choice really can be worse than more limited options. Maybe I am getting spoiled and expecting everything to be stellar brilliant series, since there have been so many in recent years.

I'm watching Bad Blood at the moment...I don't think it's the greatest show ever, as much as I love the lead from Sons of Anarchy, I don't think he's a strong enough actor to be a lead.
    The writing isn't the greatest either, but it's not bad.

The story is good though, that's what is keeping me tuned in.....I know that the acting and writing can improve over the course of a season once people find their groove.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Re Bad Blood:
    Season 1 is a lot better than season 2

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I haven't got around to watching the second season of Friends From College, wasn't mad about the first season. Does it get a proper end?

The second series is better than the first and it got significantly better reviews too! I suppose it does get a proper end.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Watching The Assassination of Gianni Versace wasn’t what I was expecting, explores the life of the serial killer his mental health and homophobia in 90s America

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Fian wrote: »
    Actually i am noticing this more and more with streaming now.

when Ii had two channels, for a number of years as a kid after we moved from Dublin to Connemara, there was generally something to watch most of teh time. Much better when I moved back east and could add in the main free to air uk channels again - C4, BBC, UTV.

Then when I got 100+ channels or whatever number is on my virgin package it was the old "100 channels and nothing on" issue.

Netflix + amazon prime solved that for a while, generally there was a number of options to choose to watch next. Now i am getting back to the stage where there just isn't alot that is grabbing me. I find myself finishing a series like I would finish a book that was "ok" but not really grabbing me. To get on to the next book (or series in this case) that I am looking forward to so finishing is almost a chore that needs to be done first.

Excessive choice really can be worse than more limited options. Maybe I am getting spoiled and expecting everything to be stellar brilliant series, since there have been so many in recent years.

Shows that aren't designed to be binge watched suffer the most from this. A perfect example would be something like '24'. Once you remove the weekly buffer between episodes, it only serves to highlight how far fetched the plot is, and the weekly cliffhangers are very awkward when you could be hitting 3 of them in a 2.5 hour viewing session

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Dirty John was dire. Watched the first episode, the remaining seven episodes I watched in an hour over lunch. Awful acting, worse than daytime soap. Two daughters were horrid, there accents were piercing. Bana excelled in Chopper, since then, what’s he been good in?

I thought it succeeded, in portraying the complexity of narcissistic /sociopathic personality disorder and the kind of people they suck in( or not). I think Bana was excellent in playing John Meehan.
    The themes of forgiveness and denial were loud and clear, therefore it evoked thought.

Finished a spate of Korean crime dramas:
    Iris.
    Gab Dong.
    Stranger.
    Night and Day ( from Hong kong)

They are cheesy and melodramatic, but show off some great Asian actors, and unpredictable plots. They are highly entertaining. Nice change from Hollywood and nordic noire. Also I like the martial arts scenes over gun shoot outs.
    I guess you either hate them or Love them. I am a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Drumpot wrote: »
    Watched 3 or 4 episodes of the umbrella academy and really enjoying it with my wife. Its fun and while there are moments Im sort of going "that could be better" I am generally going along for the ride , its just a bit of fun . .

Yeah I'm about 4 episodes in too and feel the same. It could be better but I want to keep watching as it just unravels enough of the story in each episode to keep me wanting more. There's something quite likeable about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

there's an Audio & Subtitles setting, I normally change the audio to Original and the sub titles to english- otherwise its like watching Monkey Magic ...

Nice one, thanks. Not sure why the setting a defaulted to the awful American dubbing. It was too off-putting so i gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I finished "Marseille" recently and really enjoyed it. A political thriller set - in Marseille - starring Gerard Depardieu. Sadly Netflix axed it after the second season and it wasn't well received in France. Great soundtrack too! 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Just finished episode 4 of Dirty John and
    Please don't tell me Debbie forgives him and tries to help him. Epidode 4 did my head in. Not sure if I'll keep watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Anyone here finish the second series of making a murderer ? Does it get better ?I did start it but going by Netflix I only got to the start of episode three and this evening finished episode three but not that enthusiastic about going further.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I finished "Marseille" recently and really enjoyed it. A political thriller set - in Marseille - starring Gerard Depardieu. Sadly Netflix axed it after the second season and it wasn't well received in France. Great soundtrack too! 8/10.

I thought this was rubbish. It was like a parody of a HBO show. I watched S1 just to see if it got any better but it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Anyone here finish the second series of making a murderer ? Does it get better ?I did start it but going by Netflix I only got to the start of episode three and this evening finished episode three but not that enthusiastic about going further.

It pretty much what your seeing ,I liked it.

Umbrella Company I cant get enough of .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

crustybla wrote: »
    Just finished episode 4 of Dirty John and
    Please don't tell me Debbie forgives him and tries to help him. Epidode 4 did my head in. Not sure if I'll keep watching.

Unfortunately yes. U couldn’t feel sorry for her after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm just finished the 2nd episode of Three Girls, it's the story about the child abuse case that happened in Rochdale.

I knew the basics of the story but after watching two episodes, you really see the neglagince of the authorities involved in supposedly looking after these children. I actually felt sick to the stomach watching it and the actions of the police and Child Protection Services were absolutely disgraceful at the time.

It's a 3 part series and I cant recommend it enough even though I still have one episode to go. It's a hard watch but I think it's a must see as there is some very good acting from the cast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement