Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I know the odd Amazon Prime recommendation gets thrown around in here so I'll just say that 'Halt and Catch Fire' is one of the best series I've watched in years. Possibly the best thing on tv since Mad Men finished - a show with which it shares its DNA.

Thanks for the shout. Started watching it. Very good so far.

Freeway on Netflix is a very good documentary about the 80s crack dealer that the rapper Rick Ross stole his name from. Through his tennis coach he got introduced to some Nicaraguans raising funds for the Contras by trafficking huge quantities of cocaine into the US in cooperation with the CIA and he basically lucked into becoming one of the biggest drug dealers in US history.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

A whole year after it was added I finally got around to watching the 3rd and I think final series of Lovesick.
    Pretty sure I've recommended this show a few times now but I'm going to do it again. It's really funny and sweet and the cast have great chemistry and really interestingly they resolved what was the focus of the first 2 series early in the 3rd one and yet it was still really enjoyable because at some point during those first 2 series I became very invested in Luke and Aengus without even realising it.
    The framing of episodes was a little off in s3, I must say, some episodes were flashbacks and some weren't and at times I found it a little confusing and unnecessary, but that's a minor complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

A whole year after it was added I finally got around to watching the 3rd and I think final series of Lovesick.
    Pretty sure I've recommended this show a few times now but I'm going to do it again. It's really funny and sweet and the cast have great chemistry and really interestingly they resolved what was the focus of the first 2 series early in the 3rd one and yet it was still really enjoyable because at some point during those first 2 series I became very invested in Luke and Aengus without even realising it.
    The framing of episodes was a little off in s3, I must say, some episodes were flashbacks and some weren't and at times I found it a little confusing and unnecessary, but that's a minor complaint.

Was that originally called "Scrotal Recall" and renamed to Lovesick after season 1?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was that originally called "Scrotal Recall" and renamed to Lovesick after season 1?
    Yep, was Scrotal Recall for the first series which aired on Channel 4.. Netflix then continued the series and called it "Lovesick".

That's it. S1 aired on Channel 4 as Scrotal Recall and I don't think anyone watched it. A real headscratcher of a marketing campaign on that one. I remember the ads even made it seem like an American Pie style gross out comedy thing and it could not be further from that. Netflix somehow ended up picking it up and making 2 more series of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, was Scrotal Recall for the first series which aired on Channel 4.. Netflix then continued the series and called it "Lovesick".

As a name scrotal recall was the greatest marketing disaster ever. And with the general theme of the show as originally described I never watched it on C4, it seemed like a kind of macho ladies man eventually doing the right thing with his exes,
    contacting them about a possible STD
    . Not very appealing.

It’s actually a lovely and believable romance, with characters you root for. Didn’t outstay it’s welcome either, or jump the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

km79 wrote: »
    As a huge BB fan I don't know how I feel about this.......if there has to be a movie I would rather take a VERY rare trip to the cinema to see it......if there has to be one .....

I was wondering if this was the 'acting gig' Bill Burr has been dropping hints about on his podcast the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Loved lovesick, Luke in particular was a brilliant character.
    I don't think it was ever officially cancelled, but Antonia Thomas is in the good doctor and Johnny Flynn got amazing reviews for a film called beast and he is playing Bowie in a biopic so can't see another series happening :(
    If it doesn't come back in fairness the ending of season 3 was good.

If you are looking for something along the lines of this show I can highly recommend you're the worst, no one seems to really watch it but it is terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Dirty John is very good.

gmisk wrote: »
    Loved lovesick, Luke in particular was a brilliant character.
    I don't think it was ever officially cancelled, but Antonia Thomas is in the good doctor and Johnny Flynn got amazing reviews for a film called beast and he is playing Bowie in a biopic so can't see another series happening :(
    If it doesn't come back in fairness the ending of season 3 was good.

If you are looking for something along the lines of this show I can highly recommend you're the worst, no one seems to really watch it but it is terrific.

I love You're the Worst. It's the complete opposite of Lovesick in some ways, mainly they're all kind of awful people, but it's also really funny and surprisingly very sweet.
    Unfortunately it's not on Netflix, although Comedy Central were showing it for a while there.

P.S. I started Sex Education right after finishing Lovesick and Luke was in the first episode! And his name was Dylan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Finished Russian Doll last night and thoroughly enjoyed, best thing I've seen in quite a while.

Kind of thought it was perfect how it ended, and am hoping they just leave it as one stand alone season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Dirty John was dire. Watched the first episode, the remaining seven episodes I watched in an hour over lunch. Awful acting, worse than daytime soap. Two daughters were horrid, there accents were piercing. Bana excelled in Chopper, since then, what’s he been good in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

fin12 wrote: »
    Suburra: Blood on Rome season 2 out on 22nd of February. Season 1 was brilliant.

Maybe I missed something when I put it on but there a version that isn't dubbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Dirty John was dire. Watched the first episode, the remaining seven episodes I watched in an hour over lunch. Awful acting, worse than daytime soap. Two daughters were horrid, there accents were piercing. Bana excelled in Chopper, since then, what’s he been good in?
    Kath and kim? :)

Yes he has made some bad film choices, I would say Munich? and he was good in Hanna but it was a small part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I found it pretty good too, I think it's a long way from being dire anyway.

Don't see any particular issue with the accents?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Maybe I missed something when I put it on but there a version that isn't dubbed?

Ya I watch them in Italian with English subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Homeland season 7
    The story of us with Morgan Freeman season 1
    Explore the forces of love, belief, power, war, peace, rebellion and freedom in this series about the ties that bind -- and destroy -- humanity.

Added today

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

there's an Audio & Subtitles setting, I normally change the audio to Original and the sub titles to english- otherwise its like watching Monkey Magic ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Hurrache wrote: »
    I found it pretty good too, I think it's a long way from being dire anyway.

You're doing it wrong though, you should have watched all 8 episodes in an hour during lunch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Quality of Netflix shows has really deteriorated in my opinion. Rare to find anything decent, obviously one of the main reasons is they seem to be throwing money at everything. South Park had an excellent episode poking fun at how shows are greenlit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Sorry but you can't possibly have a solid opinion on a show based on watching 7 episodes in the space of an hour. Absolute nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Quality of Netflix shows has really deteriorated in my opinion. Rare to find anything decent, obviously one of the main reasons is they seem to be throwing money at everything. South Park had an excellent episode poking fun at how shows are greenlit.

I find it's the opposite. I have found lots of new shows to watch over the past few months compare to a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

fin12 wrote: »
    Suburra: Blood on Rome season 2 out on 22nd of February. Season 1 was brilliant.

The default setting is dubbed but you can switch the language to Italian with English subtitles.

The punisher and Jessica Jones cancelled by netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

peteeeed wrote:
    The punisher and Jessica Jones cancelled by netflix

No surprise really... Hope someone takes over production of daredevil and punisher... Rest weren't great in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No one saw that coming.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched Cold Skin last night, and in short - don't bother.

Slightly longer opinion - it should have been good, or at least entertaining enought to appease me - the setup is pure Lovecraft, which should be quite hard to mess up, but it manages to be dreary and has some laughable voiceover nonsense going on which, while perhaps suited to a Lovecraftian story, is dreadful in the context of the film itself. The end result was pretty pants, and blathered on interminably for what story there was. If anyone thought that "The Shape Of Water" had normalised the idea of people shagging fishpeople, this film is proof of the contrary.

On the plus side, The Umbrella Academy is proving pretty good 3 episodes in.

Oh, and while I think of it - there was chat earlier about Luther whose 5th and final series aired on the Beeb this year, with the first 4 series on Netflix. I would personally recommend not bothering with the 5th series - despite the time that was available for it to be written and refined, it felt very clunky and I was fairly disappointed by it, even by the uneven standard of the previous series.

Fysh wrote: »

Oh, and while I think of it - there was chat earlier about Luther whose 5th and final series aired on the Beeb this year, with the first 4 series on Netflix. I would personally recommend not bothering with the 5th series - despite the time that was available for it to be written and refined, it felt very clunky and I was fairly disappointed by it, even by the uneven standard of the previous series.

Yeah Luther shouldn't get out of bed anymore. Last series was very poor, and a bit forced. Disappointing to say the least that they couldn't come up with something better on the last two seasons.

Paul Hollywood's Big Continental Road Trip
    Gear up for a fast-paced journey as celebrity chef and avid auto enthusiast Paul Hollywood takes in the cars and culture of France, Italy and Germany.

Hampstead
    An American widow in London forms an unexpected relationship with a man living off the grid in a beautiful park ripe for development.

Sherlock Gnomes
    After their friends disappear from gardens all over London, Gnomeo and Juliet team up with super sleuth Sherlock Gnomes to help find them.

Added today

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement