Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to benefit the environment...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

forgot in my rant on the stupidity of reps etc that one of the best things to do to benefit farmland birds would be a reduction in grey crows and magpies they have a huge impact on nest predation even bird organisations have had to admit this .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Maybe if we cut a field or two of hay instead of mowing silage in the months of May or June it might give the ground nesters a chance to bring off a brood.
    Uncultivated stubbles left over the winter to provide some winter feed would be a help.
    Sowing a small copse of trees in a corner that is difficult to mow.
    I am going to try some of the above anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    very very simple way to help birds if you are feeding cattle nuts at grass get a bag of whole barley put a couple of handfuls into each bag of nuts the whole grain passes through the beast and the birds will pick through the dung to get it.

Fantastic post/rant there and I need to implement more of thoses. On the above, it's a win win in that the birds spread around the dung also so less unpalatable grass patches. I've noticed the crows doing it here the whole time with maize in dung (the harvester didn't crack the corn in the maize well enough so reasonable amount passing thro). Duno how I would get it to work with milking parlour dairynuts however, 6/10ton blown into the bin each time, and it's not practical to try get the mill to mix in, maybe if I added a small hopper to the parlour auger that drip fed in the whole barley.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Timmaay wrote: »
    Fantastic post/rant there and I need to implement more of thoses. On the above, it's a win win in that the birds spread around the dung also so less unpalatable grass patches. I've noticed the crows doing it here the whole time with maize in dung (the harvester didn't crack the corn in the maize well enough so reasonable amount passing thro). Duno how I would get it to work with milking parlour dairynuts however, 6/10ton blown into the bin each time, and it's not practical to try get the mill to mix in, maybe if I added a small hopper to the parlour auger that drip fed in the whole barley.
    Being a contrary fecker. .

But if you start that craic won't you start upsetting the earthworm, dungbeetle balance of those critters taking those dungpats below the soil surface?
    I.e. they won't last long if rooks and jackdaws are lighting into their meal/cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Being a contrary fecker. .

But if you start that craic won't you start upsetting the earthworm, dungbeetle balance of those critters taking those dungpats below the soil surface?
    I.e. they won't last long if rooks and jackdaws are lighting into their meal/cover.

That relationship has been there since day one so I don't think it would make much difference - indeed a bird that is of high conservation concern that is now only found on scattered sites on the West Coast (The Chough) depends heavily on dung from farm stock to find its preferred food of beetle grubs. Speaking of dung beetles its reckoned that certain modern medications given to farm stock hit them hard as alot of it is passed out in dung which is why their abundance is way down in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Birdnuts wrote: »
    That relationship has been there since day one so I don't think it would make much difference - indeed a bird that is of high conservation concern that is now only found on scattered sites on the West Coast (The Chough) depends heavily on dung from farm stock to find its preferred food of beetle grubs. Speaking of dung beetles its reckoned that certain modern medications given to farm stock hit them hard as alot of it is passed out in dung which is why their abundance is way down in recent years.
    Yea but farm experience here shows me that the dung pats that birds go rooting and scattering are not the ones that worms and beetles get a chance to pull underground.
    I bet I'm posting double Dutch to some people here as their dungpats are left on the surface for only weather and bacteria to work and reasons most likely the medications, Birdnuts.

If you're going to be putting in whole barley in a diet just for the purpose of scattering a dung pat. You've bigger problems than you realise as a farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Haven’t done it yet but still have a yearning for a bee hive, help keep bee number up and tasty honey too.

I actually made a suggestion that it would be a good GLAS measure to make a payment to farmers for keeping bees, it would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

_Brian wrote: »
    Haven’t done it yet but still have a yearning for a bee hive, help keep bee number up and tasty honey too.

I actually made a suggestion that it would be a good GLAS measure to make a payment to farmers for keeping bees, it would make sense.

I’m the same- trying to buy a few acres near me with a few strips under esb pylon lines running through forestry would be tempted to try establish wild flowers first before looking at bees.

Plus the price per jar of raw is ok on adverts and looks liked there’s interest in it too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

A few years ago we got a hive of bees. Everywhere you looked there was talk of saving bees and wildflowers for bees and bug motels etc but I though the best way to save bees was to try breed them.
    We've 3 or 4 hives now. You never know exactly what you have till spring!
    We take some honey for ourselves but don't push them too hard. Last summer was good here. All hives healthy and the queen happy. Not one sting between us the whole year.
    The previous year we'd an antichrist of a queen and got stung regularly.
    We've still a lot to learn, there's a nice bit of work with a few hives but it's rewarding to see a happy hive and the place alive with bees.

I’m the same- trying to buy a few acres near me with a few strips under esb pylon lines running through forestry would be tempted to try establish wild flowers first before looking at bees.

Plus the price per jar of raw is ok on adverts and looks liked there’s interest in it too.

I haven’t done it for the fickleist of reasons, just when honey is flowing and bees would be thinking of swarming is when we go away for a few weeks holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Maybe if we cut a field or two of hay instead of mowing silage in the months of May or June it might give the ground nesters a chance to bring off a brood.
    Uncultivated stubbles left over the winter to provide some winter feed would be a help.
    Sowing a small copse of trees in a corner that is difficult to mow.
    I am going to try some of the above anyway

I thought leaving stubble exposed wasn’t good, from a carbon & soil erosion perspective?
    And more modern thinking is that cover crops are better, both from a fertiliser, weed and environment perspective?

(I could be wrong on this...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

I thought leaving stubble exposed wasn’t good, from a carbon & soil erosion perspective?
    And more modern thinking is that cover crops are better, both from a fertiliser, weed and environment perspective?

(I could be wrong on this...)

Spring sowed crop with the stubble left overwinter provide huge amount of both crop seed and weed seeds for birds. The transition to autumn sowed crops has hit birds like skylark, bunting, finches hard.

Is there an overall verdict on the wild bird ground sowed as part of GLAS, I’ve heard wildly different reports from lads that have it sowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I haven’t done it for the fickleist of reasons, just when honey is flowing and bees would be thinking of swarming is when we go away for a few weeks holidays.

I want to do the seed savers bee keeping course first so it will be a few years due to work commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Is there an overall verdict on the wild bird ground sowed as part of GLAS, I’ve heard wildly different reports from lads that have it sowed.

Depends what you have sowed and how you have sowed it. If you have sowed triticale you can attract masses of rats/crows. I have 0.3 acres of fodder radish/Caledonian kale/phacelia and have around 200 linnet, 30 twite, reed bunting, skylarks etc.

Depends what you have sowed and how you have sowed it. If you have sowed triticale you can attract masses of rats/crows. I have 0.3 acres of fodder radish/Caledonian kale/phacelia and have around 200 linnet, 30 twite, reed bunting, skylarks etc.

Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

For me - I don’t know is it great...

But in the area right around where the WBC is down, there is acres of glen/forest, beet, tillage...
    So, 2 acres of ****ty seeds, I don’t think will make much difference to the birds in this area...

It might be very different, in an area where there isn’t the same feed for birds already...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Reducing nitrogen usage by over 90% would go a long way to turning things in the right direction. Immediately farmers would turn to multi-species grasses, legumes etc.

That’ll never happen without legislation because the Irish farming system is totally addicted and dependent on nitrogen...

Kinda like that Braveheart quote “they can take our lives, but they’ll never take our NITROGEN”.
    American NRA...” they’ll have to pry our NITROGEN from our dead rigor mortised hands”. :). Lol.

Government and Teagasc need to lead on this. I won’t be holding my breath.

Where I’m farming now the usage of nitrogen has dropped by nearly 55% since 1990. Yields and production have increased!
    This is a result of Government just setting limits. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Reducing nitrogen usage by over 90% would go a long way to turning things in the right direction. Immediately farmers would turn to multi-species grasses, legumes etc.

That’ll never happen without legislation because the Irish farming system is totally addicted and dependent on nitrogen...

Kinda like that Braveheart quote “they can take our lives, but they’ll never take our NITROGEN”.
    American NRA...” they’ll have to pry our NITROGEN from our dead rigor mortised hands”. :). Lol.

Government and Teagasc need to lead on this. I won’t be holding my breath.

Where I’m farming now the usage of nitrogen has dropped by nearly 55% since 1990. Yields and production have increased!
    This is a result of Government just setting limits. Simples.

surely some kind of irony here? No?
    Gave in yesterday and bought some fert.
    Got some Urea for €311. BB.
    Nitrogen 34.4% €280. BB. 28t loads.
    ASN €254.

If I’d the nutz I’d have held off for another few weeks as prices still softening...will buy some more in March.

Paid in full 30days after delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The country doesn't need more honeybees, needs more food for bees. Plenty of very large barren areas for them down here in south east.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hate alder with a passion. No better tree to destroy a hedge. Everything dies under it's large canopy and you end up with a huge hole in the hedge.

I think you have mixed up alder and elder there Patsy. Elder is a smelly weed, alder is a tree.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

For beetles and grasshoppers. They benefit from a mix of grass heights
    Leaving a bit of patchiness by not topping a field in one go and doing it in strips over the course of a few weeks maintains their cover.
    Beetles and grasshoppers do best off cocksfoot and Yorkshire fog. Fescues, timothy etc all support other insects like moths.
    Also going in too fast with the topper can prevent a lot of flowers setting seed (why lipp was originally limited to after July 15th). If a lot of these don't set seed every 2 years or so they won't persist.

Mob type grazing is a good option for keeping sward productivity up in the absence of fert. It encourages tall leafy growth, excess topping and overgrazing just encourages bent grass/weeds.

Add in good management of ditches with a wide variety of trees/bushes is a big plus, a small bit of coppicing or laying on a rotational basis can go a long way towards keeping a healthy hedge. Lots of old tired whitethorn around getting overran by ivy that would benefit from being rejuvenated.

From the beekeepers POV,
    Hazel, lesser celandine, willow, dandelion, apple/crab, horse chestnut, sycamore, whitethorn, clover, BlackBerry and ivy to finish off the year are the main flowers.

The country doesn't need more honeybees, needs more food for bees. Plenty of very large barren areas for them down here in south east.

When did you see a wild swarm of bees last? It's years and years around here.
    From my perspective, now that I've bees I've planted forage crops for them. Phacelia, so far I've found to be the best. I'm hoping to grow more this year and mix in sunflower seed with it.

Further to this, my tillage neighbour now only sprays at dusk into dark so as to not hit any flying bees. Local kids and adults alike come to see them and tell me they're going to plant bee friendly areas in gardens etc. Another neighbour now sees the importance of ivy blossom in the back end of the year to build winter stores of honey. So there is a knock on effect.
    I can see many species of bumblebee here as well that surely get a bounce from honeybee habitat. As do many species of butterflies.

Would more polonators not increase fruiting if species and so increase numbers of plants for pollinators ?

From my perspective, now that I've bees I've planted forage crops for them. Phacelia, so far I've found to be the best. I'm hoping to grow more this year and mix in sunflower seed with it.

Further to this, my tillage neighbour now only sprays at dusk into dark so as to not hit any flying bees. Local kids and adults alike come to see them and tell me they're going to plant bee friendly areas in gardens etc. Another neighbour now sees the importance of ivy blossom in the back end of the year to build winter stores of honey. So there is a knock on effect.
    I can see many species of bumblebee here as well that surely get a bounce from honeybee habitat. As do many species of butterflies.

We planted wildflowers last spring. One day I was walking about outside talking on the phone for 10 minutes and saw three species of bumblebee feeding.

Would more polonators not increase fruiting if species and so increase numbers of plants for pollinators ?

Possibly, until someone comes along and flails, sprays or does some other management that intentionally or unintentionally prevents that happening.
    Average field size of greater than 8-12 acres, ditches cut to the but regularly and no flowers inside the fields just can't support a very big pollinator population in the same way an acre of land can only support so many cattle. It's very easy to put hives in an area and feed them to keep them alive but it can put wild bees at a disadvantage

Too often! My least favorite line to hear is "I've a hive of bees on a bush in my garden"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think you're right Muckit. As soon as I had it posted I went looking up the difference. Elder does grow high though, maybe 25 feet. Is that it in the pic?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I think you're right Muckit. As soon as I had it posted I went looking up the difference. Elder does grow high though, maybe 25 feet. Is that it in the pic?

You know elder well. The creamy white flowers in spring and the purple / black elderberries when they fruit.
    Common in hedgerows
    Alder favours damper ground. Common along some riverbanks. No noticeable flower and cluster of little round cones.
    That's elder in the pic. It has a soft core, you'd often be able to push your nail in to the centre. When it seasons the core sometimes becomes hollow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You know elder well. The creamy white flowers in spring and the purple / black elderberries when they fruit.
    Common in hedgerows
    Alder favours damper ground. Common along some riverbanks. No noticeable flower and cluster of little round cones.
    That's elder in the pic. It has a soft core, you'd often be able to push your nail in to the centre. When it seasons the core sometimes becomes hollow.

Ya, that's it. I cut a lot of it aroud here. I've cut it right to the ground and it grows up again mad fast. I try to dry/season it for 2 years before burning. Not the best for firewood but considering how fast it grows, worth cutting all the same.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement