Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

whelan2 wrote: »
    StrathRoy pay a better price than Glanbia too

They do not and I have it in black and white in my office. Fact

• Registered Users Posts: 29,191 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

They do not and I have it in black and white in my office. Fact

I'd be fairly sure StrathRoy are paying out more than 30cpl base price. Also the cookie jar money is the member subsidising the plc so doesn't count

Anyone else getting a lot of twins this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You must be delighted with that and the price of calves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Dirty cows/heifers, what do you do with them?
    Leave them if not too bad?
    Wash them out yourself? If so what do you use.
    Or go in with something like metricure.

We usually don't get many but have one bad one here who is smelling pretty foul so I'll get the vet to look at her

Metricure find it good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

For a minute there, I was going to offer congratulations...:D

We will have 3 sets here this year if they all go full term which is about normal, all from the one family as well.

wrangler wrote: »
    You must be delighted with that and the price of calves

My dog is bigger than the set born today. All 3 sets are from heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Yes loads of them coming fairly big 2 , hate twins wreck cows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

yewtree wrote: »
    No danger of any of the winter milk schemes been under subscribed. there are more than enough lads with no control over their calving pattern, that have to take whatever price they are given

id say if they do let anyone else in besides the people in the scheme already, they would have to have excellent milk quality and very good lactose levels. 6% a month could be quite hard to hit for alot of farmers too so i wouldnt be surprised to see a few keep their previous winter milk bonus and not opt for the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Tame compared to thr ozzy floods atm.

It’s another level, 300k plus beef/dairy animals estimated dead, for it to come in a area that has been devasted with drought was the real kicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Willfarman wrote: »

Agreed fully, only thing I'll say is the 120 cow herd is a very nice step up if you have the grazing block, still very much so a one man show outside of calving, however them extra few cows will nicely pay for more regular part time labour, alongside contracting out most machinery work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Gave in yesterday and bought some fert.
    Got some Urea for €311. BB.
    Nitrogen 34.4% €280. BB. 28t loads.
    ASN €254.

If I’d the nutz I’d have held off for another few weeks as prices still softening...will buy some more in March.

Paid in full 30days after delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

If someone cannot pay for some casual labour at weekends, for busy times or at calving,on an 80 cow herd doing an average 6 or 7k litres a cow and earn a decent living ,they are in my opinion better off not going to 120 cows because their management by then will have them in Stubbs Gazette

Ego needs to be out of the equation, bank balance firmly in

Mortelaro wrote: »
    If someone cannot pay for some casual labour at weekends, for busy times or at calving,on an 80 cow herd doing an average 6 or 7k litres a cow and earn a decent living ,they are in my opinion better off not going to 120 cows because their management by then will have them in Stubbs Gazette

If it was about ego I'd be at 200cows now, but probably a lot more stressed out and under pressure ha. Still could happen here but only if it fits well into other ambitions I have in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Mortelaro wrote: »

What if im just to miserable and mean to pay someone. :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

anyone know how close to a tb test can you sell animals?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭tanko

anyone know how close to a tb test can you sell animals?

Nothing to stop you selling animals the day before the test afaik.

• Advertisement

They don't like you moving stock between testing and reading. I got in trouble last year for getting cow who did the splits put down between testing and reading. Fine up until the day before.

They don't like you moving stock between testing and reading. I got in trouble last year for getting cow who did the splits put down between testing and reading. Fine up until the day before.

I've heard of lads discovering on the morning while testing that they have bought in animals that never got transfered into their herd for whatever reason, and quickly getting a permit done there and then haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

Just in from the maternity ward...2 more bulls..

That's 22 bulls 8 heifers, absolute riot..

I was away for the first 12 days of bullying last year and we got the AI man to insimenate once a day.. Conception rates were good, but this run of bulls is some cost..

We're DIY here always, and pay particular attention to AI timings, always twice a day, and in many cases while still in standing heat, we always have more heifers than bulls...

The killer is I've agreed to undertake the same project this year and will miss 1 week from 7th to 13th May...thinking costly now..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

alps wrote: »

I was away for the first 12 days of bullying last year and we got the AI man to insimenate once a day.. Conception rates were good, but this run of bulls is some cost..

We're DIY here always, and pay particular attention to AI timings, always twice a day, and in many cases while still in standing heat, we always have more heifers than bulls...

The killer is I've agreed to undertake the same project this year and will miss 1 week from 7th to 13th May...thinking costly now..

I ai once a day most of the time, was at 70% heifers up till 3 days ago, evening up now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

tanko wrote: »
    Nothing to stop you selling animals the day before the test afaik.

You can check on agfood anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Mooooo wrote: »
    I ai once a day most of the time, was at 70% heifers up till 3 days ago, evening up now

Work at ai myself and practice once a day with my own cows and seems to work out ok heifer wise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If you've always had more heifers maybe its evening out. I wouldnt go blaming the ai man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

AI once a day here for the last 20 odd years. Always 50/50 heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭visatorro

Older generation used to reckon you had more heifers with a young bull because cow was served earlier..

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    Older generation used to reckon you had more heifers with a young bull because cow was served earlier..

Angus bull that's with my heifers is 5 years old. Out of 20 calves have 17 heifers including 3 sets of heifer twins. If I could transfer that to my fr calves now that would be great

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement