Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if you won €130 million?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

about 35k worth of speakers. wow
    how good could they possibly be?

I heard they were 83k

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Pay off my mams mortgage.

Set up a large trust fund for future children and grand children.

Buy my father a house.

Buy a holiday home in spain or italy and the usa.

Go on a few all inclusive holidays

And set up a few chain cafes around ireland with fresh food and cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Private box in Nou Camp and a monkey butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Buy a second home in New England

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    People in here really don't look at deposit interest rates if they think they will be living off it for ever. Amounts that high probably have negative rates at present.

I don't know what you earn, but I'd be willing to guess that even if you're fabulously well paid, when you add up every cent you earn in your entire life it won't be anything approaching 130m. And by definition you'll live on that for the rest of your life!

200k a year (5 times the average industrial wage) for 50 years comes to 10m.

Interest rates don't matter a fúck when you have that kind of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I've a laundry list of things:
    1. Buy a house
    2. Buy a 2nd car
    3. Buy a house for my parents
    4. Buy a house for my sis
    5. Go ona **** off stupid holiday
    6. Buy a house for the in-laws
    7. Save the rest and do volunteering work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Interest rates don't matter a fúck when you have that kind of money.
    Pretty much. You'd be moving into spread out investment portfolios and the like at that level.

I dunno what I'd do TBH. It's a fcuk ton of money. It's beyond what most people think of money and way beyond the leave your job, buy a house and have a nice holiday level. I already have a gaff, but chances are I'd be not living there for long. 150 million or whatever it ends up being attracts too much attention for suburbia. It would take some thought and planning and creating space to work out what's next. Personal security would become a concern too.

I'd probably hotel my way around Europe looking for places where I'd buy a bit of property. A huge feck off chateau in wine country somewhere sounds great, but it's more than a bit isolated. And boring. I'd probably buy a nice apartment in a couple of places, France, Spain, I hate the cold so would fly south for the winter like a migratory bird :D and summer in Ireland. A decent stretch of a trout stream would be in the mix. I doubt I'd live outside of Europe, visit yeah, but not live.

I'd probably go to some Swiss clinic where they replace my organs and flush my bad blood and the like. Wherever Mick Jagger and the likes go to have their DNA massaged. I'd have to be careful regarding romantic entanglements. They could get expensive mad quickly. No private planes or helicopters for me. Fly commercial, they're much better maintained and regulated. Set up a few charitable trusts and make a difference there. Scholarship programmes would be very much in the mix. Scientific research funding another.

I'd defo amass and curate a large collection of interesting stuff, museum level antiquities, art(the less popular stuff), historical objects, documents, examples of important technology, cars, aircraft and the like. I'd be a regular fixture at auctions. Do a Chester Beatty on it. Leave it in my will to the Irish people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No one has mentioned a compound yet, I would build a massive compound surrounded by high walls and that security team that Wibbs mentioned.

Then I would sit there all alone waiting for the madness to descend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's an estimated €165,000,000 on Friday. That's a huge amount of money.

If I was lucky enough to win it I'd look after a few family members and close friends. I'd repay their mortgages and loans, and tell them "I'll make sure you never have to worry about money again". That's quite powerful.

I'm told a deal can be done on C.A.T. with Revenue in those circumstances. Putting 50 names and proportions on the winning ticket doesn't work I'm told.

Your chances of keeping under the radar at that level are close to zero I'd say. It's inevitable you'd move house and your spending would go up. You'd also become very security conscious.

I reckon I'd buy another property or two abroad. If I didn't have to spend another cold and wet winter here again that'd be great.

Investing isn't that important at that level of wealth. Protecting your wealth becomes more important than taking risk and looking for income or capital appreciation.

I'd retire, & live somewhere really nice. Quiet, safe, but with easy access to an airport, sports, and people.

I'd have an ultra modern home, 7 car garage, gym, and a pool with a retractable roof. I'd have a couple of nice cars (Ford Fiesta ST, a big estate car, a Jeep, a fully restored and modernised MkII RS2000 and a BMW motorbike). It'd have separate guest accomodation, and I'd just send people invites and boarding passes.

I'd also have a flat in the London area (I know where already).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The thing with such an enormous amount of money is that you have all the time in the world.
    You could have any material item you ever desired, do anything you wanted but for me that would grow old quickly.
    It is a serious mind job to be landed with so much cash and having all that time to fill.

To fill that time, considering I'm 38, I would immediately declare myself a 'professional' golfer and set a target of becoming a member of the European Senior tour when I turned 50. It's said you need 10k hours of dedicated practice to master anything and I'd fill all the time in the world with playing golf with that goal in mind. I'd have 12 years to prepare. It might not happen but it would keep me occupied with a specific goal in mind. I wouldn't need the stress that a journeyman professional would have with all that wonga.

I'd have everything I'd need; coaches, trainers etc. Money would be no object obviously. It would keep the mind active and the body fit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I have two friends who are semi-retired (they sold successful businesses) and are in their 50s; both have a light aircraft, a bespoke house here and another in a sunny country a few hours from here. They go where they like, when they like, as often as they like and do a few hours now and again in the former day job (mostly advising over the phone); they have friends over for dinner when it suits them or they go visiting, as it suits them. Great way to live, while they are young and healthy enough, especially when they have enough put aside to cover actual and potential health costs. Wealth buys you time; you don't have to commute, unless you are going to your other house; it also means that you can give your offspring a few bob and put away a rainy day funds. So, you get freedom from want, security of income, can afford the best health care, no stress about work or commuting or when your next Visa bill comes in. I'd have it in a heartbeat and I wouldnt need 130m to do it. A tenth of that would suit me just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Jesus it would be fantastic to be able to indulge your every whim without a care for the price.
    See a car add on the telly - ooh that looks nice, i'll get one of those.
    Watch a travel show - Patagonia is lovely this time of year, fancy going tomorrow?
    Liverpool are in the champions league final, sure maybe we'll stay a week or 2 either side of it in Madrid, we could even pick up that apartment you wanted when we're there, what do you reckon?

Now that's the life I'm supposed to be living!;)

Liverpool are in the champions league final

That requires even more hopeless optimism than playing the lotto ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

The first thing would be to work out how/invoke any relevant clauses for, remaining anonymous. Publicity is bad for your wealth.

Next is spreading the lump sum across banks and jurisdictions to spread/mitigate risk on the capital. And to remain extremely cautious about 'suggested advisers'.

Next would be setting up a boatload of shell companies with nested control, with the most 'frontline' company setup for non-executive appointments. Easier to funnel money to 'anonymously'-appointed family members (noone would know it was me), moreover as small and regular monthly/quarterly amounts for life rather than life-changing lump sums. Let people adjust gradually to newfound wealth, rather than end up fighting, divorcing, etc. over money very quickly.

And after all that, slowly bring the Mrs onboard with the whole thing, to the point where I can actually stop/leave work, and take a life breather to work out what next.

There's a bunch of design alterations I'd love to go through with the ancestral family home, and a car we've owned for 18 years now that I'd love to be refreshed/restored to factory-fresh, to start with.

A trip to the local Merc (love me a Merc) & Porsche (quite like Macan) dealers is not out of the question, either. And yes, I'll make it a point to turn up in my grubbiest jeans and tshirt, and to haggle :D

I saw a Traveller walk into a Hiace dealership once and the salesman was obviously sneering him until the Traveller says "How much is dat, Boss? For cash", pointing at a new Hiace. The salesman rattled off a figure and the Traveller left, much to the sneering delight of the salesman. A few minutes later, the traveller comes back in, dragging a milk churn. he lifts off the top and its full of crumpled pound notes. He stands up the churn and starts dropping notes on the floor, "Wan, too, tree.....". The salesman was all over him after that, eyes wide open......A friend went to buy a car once, after having won money on the Pools (remember them?). The older salesman was all sneer and guff and fobbed him off, so he waited for a bit, found out who the lowest, newest (poorest) salesman on the staff was and bought the car from him and gave him a generous tip and the older guy was raging, as his commission would have been highest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ambro25 wrote: »
    The first thing would be to work out how/invoke any relevant clauses for, remaining anonymous. Publicity is bad for your wealth.

Next is spreading the lump sum across banks and jurisdictions to spread/mitigate risk on the capital. And to remain extremely cautious about 'suggested advisers'.

Next would be setting up a boatload of shell companies with nested control, with the most 'frontline' company setup for non-executive appointments. Easier to funnel money to 'anonymously'-appointed family members (noone would know it was me), moreover as small and regular monthly/quarterly amounts for life rather than life-changing lump sums. Let people adjust gradually to newfound wealth, rather than end up fighting, divorcing, etc. over money very quickly.

And after all that, slowly bring the Mrs onboard with the whole thing, to the point where I can actually stop/leave work, and take a life breather to work out what next.

There's a bunch of design alterations I'd love to go through with the ancestral family home, and a car we've owned for 18 years now that I'd love to be refreshed/restored to factory-fresh, to start with.

A trip to the local Merc (love me a Merc) & Porsche (quite like Macan) dealers is not out of the question, either. And yes, I'll make it a point to turn up in my grubbiest jeans and tshirt, and to haggle :D

Jesus I hope you don't win. Howard Hughes II.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Stovepipe wrote: »
    I saw a Traveller walk into a Hiace dealership once and the salesman was obviously sneering him until the Traveller says "How much is dat, Boss? For cash", pointing at a new Hiace. The salesman rattled off a figure and the Traveller left, much to the sneering delight of the salesman. A few minutes later, the traveller comes back in, dragging a milk churn. he lifts off the top and its full of crumpled pound notes. He stands up the churn and starts dropping notes on the floor, "Wan, too, tree.....". The salesman was all over him after that, eyes wide open......A friend went to buy a car once, after having won money on the Pools (remember them?). The older salesman was all sneer and guff and fobbed him off, so he waited for a bit, found out who the lowest, newest (poorest) salesman on the staff was and bought the car from him and gave him a generous tip and the older guy was raging, as his commission would have been highest.

I think the chances of finding a winning euromillions ticket are higher than that story being true.

I was standing in the dealership beside my friend who was there to collect parts for his Hiace. It wasn't only Travellers bought them. We saw and heard everything. No need for me to lie about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I worked in the motor trade many years ago and plenty came in and bought expensive cars and vans for cash as in notes but then they brought in a rule where you had to get someone's PPS number for anything over 5k cash so that pretty much put a halt to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

€165,000,000 is the estimate for Friday now, maybe the title needs adjusting.

However the odds for 5+2 stars are 139,838,160/1 and with a ticket price min of €2.50, it still isn't offering great value.

When it peaks at €3,495,954 (BEP) let me know folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Stovepipe wrote: »
    after having won money on the Pools (remember them?). The older salesman was all sneer and guff and fobbed him off, so he waited for a bit, found out who the lowest, newest (poorest) salesman on the staff was and bought the car from him and gave him a generous tip and the older guy was raging, as his commission would have been highest.

I know someone who went into a high end dealership to buy a particular brand 4x4. The dealership has a few franchises under one roof, and so when the salesman from the most premium brand practically ignored him, he went ahead and bought a different brand 4x4 from a different salesman instead.

To be fair, It's also a lovely jeep, but I'd love to have seen the original salesman's face!! ��

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Jesus I hope you don't win. Howard Hughes II.
    Err...thanks. I think. :pac:

I can tell from your sentiment that you might be fortunate enough, not to have had much life experience involving 'large sums colliding with family', whether through graft, luck or inheritance. Not something I wish on you either, note.

Good luck for Friday all the same ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Die of cardiac failure

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

daithi7 wrote: »
    To be fair, It's also a lovely jeep, but I'd love to have seen the original salesman's face!! ��

Probably still didn't give a ****.

I've worked in dealerships for years, the amount of times I have seen salesmen not bother to go after a sure thing would make your jaw drop. I've had customers tell me flat out that they wanted to buy, guys that already had bought from us in the past and were good customers and wanted another 2/3 vehicles. I've told the salesmen, reminded the salesmen, then months later I will be speaking to the customer and find he went somewhere else because he never got so much as a phone call.

Things like this haven't happened once or twice, but literally dozens of times over my career and I'll never understand the logic of it. You'd think sales would be hard enough that a salesman would be jumping at a customer showing such strong interest? Salesmen, a useless shower of idiots in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Say nothing to no one, hand in my notice.

Buy a nice car, build a new house with gym, sauna, cinema room etc. Travel for a few months.

Then the fun will wear off pretty quickly I guess. Probably setup a dog rescue centre to keep me occupied and have a full health screening every month. Might attemp to setup my own company but meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Clear bills and go on holiday, havent been on one since '06

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Pay off house and place 50 years of healthcare payments in a separate dedicated account.
    Invest in some form of a diverse hedge fund aiming to clear circa €2M a year in interest earnings.
    The €2M annual income would be used in two ways.
    €500k to myself to set up and run a business paying myself a salary of no greater than 100k
    €1.5M to local causes projects which might be as simple as sports club funding, respite services to families with sick members, develop amenity locations etc through an anonymous benevolent fund which people could apply for grant aid through and which would be managed entirely by a UK based solicitor who would appoint a board to review applications, and to manage the approved grants.

The business would be surprisingly successful, allowing me to help siblings and parents financially so that they would never have to worry about mortgages or health insurance. In fact, it would be so successful, it would allow me to step back from it to complete a Phd.
    The charity fund would be preceded with a conversation at Adare Manor with J.P. Macmanus to get guidance on how to set it up so that it is effective, and untraceable to me.

(writing that was a nice 5 minute distraction from the realities of life)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Buy the S+P 500, dividends each year would amount to 2.6 million which is plenty to live on, the 130 million would be sure to double within twenty years max

(writing that was a nice 5 minute distraction from the realities of life)
    The first time I read this thread, I lay awake until about 3am fantasising about my plans. Slept very well after that.

Nice plans by the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Devide it up amongst family and friends. Also give sizeable donation to paedophile hunters groups to help with phones and petrol expenses etc

Advertisement