Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if you won €130 million?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    But 80/90 mil would never be touched and I'd live off the interest for the rest of my life and that of my son and grandkids etc.

Imagine dying and leaving 90 million unspent in a bank account. What a bloody waste.

You split E100m equally with a mate, you would get E50m and he would get E20m.
    How do you work that one out, taxation?

You just add their name to the back of the Lottery slip with the share amount, that way they don't pay tax. There was a rep from the National LOttery on the radio a couple of years back, saying that this kind of advice is actually given to Lottery winners who might want to share their winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

daithi7 wrote: »
    Isn't Longford a Gypsy themed amusement park already!?!

FYP
    its not amusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

if you bought a house outright for say even a few million,

128million divided by fifty years without interest is 256,000 per year to "Live on"

ya'd kill yourself trying to spend that,

thought I read at the time your one from Limerick was earning 32K per week interest on her €115m

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »

128million divided by fifty years without interest is 256,000 per year to "Live on"

thought I read at the time your one from Limerick was earning 32K per week interest on her €115m
    I think she won her prize a few years before the recession hit, so yeah, I'd believe that.

She'd be only earning a small fraction of that today, if she hasn't got the money locked in at that rate. Having said that, why would anyone leave that kind of money in the bank today? She'd get a far better yield from dividing it between stocks and bonds, or alternative investments. Cash is a great way of wasting an income return, and not without its own risks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »

128 divided by 50 years is over 2.5 mill a year

Somebody failed at maths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭victor8600

I would hire a really smart consultant to tell me how I can work(m) myself into the higher society so that I can make even more money from government contracts, like building an even bigger Children Hospital.

Mwahahaha ;)

A joke obviously, since I do not play Lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I think she won her prize a few years before the recession hit, so yeah, I'd believe that.

She'd be only earning a small fraction of that today, if she hasn't got the money locked in at that rate. Having said that, why would anyone leave that kind of money in the bank today? She'd get a far better yield from dividing it between stocks and bonds, or alternative investments. Cash is a great way of wasting an income return, and not without its own risks.

So what would a good investment be ?
    What sort of interest rates would you get on a large cash injection in the bank ?
    Surely they could do some deal with you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I would retire, instantly, I don't think I would even call in to work, just wouldn't show up one day and that would be that.
    Get a nice house, nothing too fancy, just a decent view and garden in it.
    I would treat myself on the car front tho, probably a top BMW or Range Rover.
    I would need to keep busy so I would set myself up with some projects, maybe go back to Uni to study something out of interest and not economic need - like Astronomy and Physics.

Oh yes, I would treat myself to Bang + Olufsen BeoLab 90 speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Buy a pillow for the National Children's Hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I would retire, instantly, I don't think I would even call in to work, just wouldn't show up one day and that would be that.
    Get a nice house, nothing too fancy, just a decent view and garden in it.
    I would treat myself on the car front tho, probably a top BMW or Range Rover.
    I would need to keep busy so I would set myself up with some projects, maybe go back to Uni to study something out of interest and not economic need - like Astronomy and Physics.

Oh yes, I would treat myself to Bang + Olufsen BeoLab 90 speakers.

about 35k worth of speakers. wow
    how good could they possibly be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

People in here really don't look at deposit interest rates if they think they will be living off it for ever. Amounts that high probably have negative rates at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

buy a nice house, on its own island in the Caribbean.

I would eventually tell my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

about 35k worth of speakers. wow
    how good could they possibly be?

With 130 million in the bank, I'd have them in every room in my mansion. I'd even hook a set up to the toilet bowl to broadcast my plopping sounds around the gardens so the workers could enjoy how rich my faeces sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Put some contracts out on people who've pissed me off. Then hire some lawyers to prevent me going to prison, buy off a few politicians to help.

Or, maybe buy an island somewhere with no extradition treaties, a few bodyguards and then put the contracts out, and take off. Live off what's left knowing I got even.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    People in here really don't look at deposit interest rates if they think they will be living off it for ever. Amounts that high probably have negative rates at present.
    Yes I was talking to a financial chap recently and he said trying to deposit 100 million nowadays without being charged for the privilege is a struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    128 divided by 50 years is over 2.5 mill a year

Somebody failed at maths

ya'd kill yourself even quicker then

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

When people talk about avoiding hangers on begging, if a coworker or someone you somewhat knew won that much cash, would you chance your arm and ask for a few grand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

I'd offer financial incentives to traveller families to get their children to stay in school and complete their leaving certificates. Better grades get more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

El_Bee wrote: »
    When people talk about avoiding hangers on begging, if a coworker or someone you somewhat knew won that much cash, would you chance your arm and ask for a few grand?

I'd ask if they needed any very expensive sexual favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

well, ever the optimist,so in answer to the question posed in the thread title...

I'll tell you all tomorrow:D

I realise the question says "if" and not "when", but sure I'm hoping that my answer will be a little more realistic. So there'll be no rocket cars or gold houses.

If its won in Ireland tonight, and I stop posting, try not to jump to any conclusions.

Damnit, I'm too excited.....

I'm going to share it equally among the immediate family. AS me and Mrs N will have a double share between us, we'll take care of spreading the joy further afield. Get deposit money and a bit more for nephews and nieces. Get the grannies sorted with butlers (not the chocolates) and medical.

Maybe start a business manufacturing something, and give unemployed young people a chance to develop a skill. Wouldn't be for profit, so could make it pay decent enough to encourage them in.

like a previous poster said, find some genuine people who could use 10k and surprise them. Do that every week for a year.

Big donation to Temple Street.

Feck, its all gone!!
    Hopefully its all been useful.

So what would a good investment be ?
    What sort of interest rates would you get on a large cash injection in the bank ?
    Surely they could do some deal with you ?
    Yeah, you'd definitely get a slightly higher interest rate than the headline rate, but don't forget about the upper limits of the bank guarantee.

There's probably a much lower risk in spreading your investment between sovereign bond investments (US Treasury, Germany, Ireland) and equities. I don't know - I've never managed that kind of money - but the last place I'd be taking it is to a retail bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Yeah, you'd definitely get a slightly higher interest rate than the headline rate, but don't forget about the upper limits of the bank guarantee.

There's probably a much lower risk in spreading your investment between sovereign bond investments (US Treasury, Germany, Ireland) and equities. I don't know - I've never managed that kind of money - but the last place I'd be taking it is to a retail bank.

There's a special bank for rich people anyway isn't there? I imagine the people down at lotto HQ have an info pack or counseling session telling you who to go, a list of financial advisors, accountants etc.

El_Bee wrote: »
    There's a special bank for rich people anyway isn't there? I imagine the people down at lotto HQ have an info pack or counseling session telling you who to go, a list of financial advisors, accountants etc.
    Yeah there's private banking -- don't know much about that.

In any case, I can't imagine that anyone who wins the lottery just deposits it in her local AIB Deposit Account -- unless they're really an eejit altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Try not to take inspiration from a previous lotto winner (Michael Carroll)

The Lotto winner revealed how "going broke is the best thing that happened to me" and said he's "never been happier" since returning to work. He is currently lifting coal bags in Scotland for a living.

Then again it was only £10m he won, so undertandable how it blew it all in his 10 fun packed years.
    He gave away 4 million to family and friends. The rest he blew. He ended up in court and prison a few times because of drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Big money not won. Two Irish tickets got €293K for 5 + 1. Very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'd whisper "woo" in an empty room. Then put the lot into me bank account, and tell nobody.
    Might treat herself to a pizza night out or something that'd be it.
    Miserable as fooooook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Keep €30m to share with friends & family.

The other €100m towards a combination of:-

Medical Research - cancer, MS, Motor Neurons etc -all of the really horrible life limiting conditions

Cover wages of anyone with a dying child so they could spend as much time with child as possible without worry about income, mortgage etc

Accommodation near hospices for family members/accommodation for families near Temple St/Crumlin.

Stuff like that....Just made the world a better place

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Keep €30m to share with friends & family.

The other €100m towards a combination of:-

Medical Research - cancer, MS, Motor Neurons etc -all of the really horrible life limiting conditions

Cover wages of anyone with a dying child so they could spend as much time with child as possible without worry about income, mortgage etc

Accommodation near hospices for family members/accommodation for families near Temple St/Crumlin.

Stuff like that....Just made the world a better place

It's not a lot of money when you have a plan such as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

mickdw wrote: »
    It's not a lot of money when you have a plan such as that.

I know but I'd like to try :-)

Advertisement