Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You could mix it with molasses and dribble it on the silage, messy work. I think it was Whelan that was using Cal Mag flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Is the new housing finished?

Turning out like children’s hospital, budget blown. Concrete finished tomorrow, hang gates, fit Yorkshire boarding, auto feeder install Thursday then fill her

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Muddy76 wrote: »
    Have had a few cases of milk fever this year.Vet recommended I put some cal mag on the silage.The problem is they are not keen on it.Would I be better off bringing them in through the parlour and feeding them cow nuts which have cal mag mixed at 2oz in 4kgs.Maybe feed them 2kgs a day for a week up to calving.any suggestions appreciated
    Got scalded with milk fever few years back ,cows but too well conditioned ,now feed straw to dry cows .for 5/7 days pre calving cows are on normal dry cow minerals and 120 gramms of mag flakes ,tried cal mag made little difference ,it did slow down calving tho cows in Labour way longer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Turning out like children’s hospital, budget blown. Concrete finished tomorrow, hang gates, fit Yorkshire boarding, auto feeder install Thursday then fill her

Hanging gates, cripes you're going all out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Calf house?
    Post some pics before it gets dirty, if you've time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭alps

Would you not go back and re tender? Is it in the right place? Is it attached to the maternity ward or the adult ward?

dar31 wrote: »
    Calf house?
    Post some pics before it gets dirty, if you've time

I’m not able to post on here. Used to but not now

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

Trying to educate myself with calf rearing

Just wondering how many acres you would need for 10 calves between May and Nov this year? No requirement to take silage just grazing for the period.

What size of paddocks would you make in order to keep fresh grass in front of them every 3 days?

Roughly how much nuts would you feed in this period?

Appreciate any responses and I know a lot depends on how much grass is grown, etc but it is good ground, thanks

Depends on age of calves, 3 to 4 acres with a kg or two of meal. May be as easy to use strip wires as make paddocks and move em on that way. If you have older stock on farm best job is leader follower system, put calves in best grass and use the older stock to follow and clean out the field properly. Younger ones are never under pressure and regular moving allows older ones to keep going too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Got scalded with milk fever few years back ,cows but too well conditioned ,now feed straw to dry cows .for 5/7 days pre calving cows are on normal dry cow minerals and 120 gramms of mag flakes ,tried cal mag made little difference ,it did slow down calving tho cows in Labour way longer
    What about half milking them for the first 3 milkings

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »

I find best if there are issues just give a bottle under the skin after calving

Mooooo wrote: »
    I find best if there are issues just give a bottle under the skin after calving

First urea result came in at 26.8, on grass plus 6kg 18% nut. No silage. Grass had received no fert, a cover of about 1400 on it. No scc or solids result yet. New load of ration came the other day at 16%, perhaps should of stayed higher as if there are nights like the last two I'll give maize at night.

alps wrote: »
    Would you not go back and re tender? Is it in the right place? Is it attached to the maternity ward or the adult ward?

The option to re tender wasn’t offered, in fact there would have been serious implications as we do our own building :)

It’s not co-located, in fact it’s built on an outfarm to completely remove disease risk (that’s my excuse)

There have been no resignations or dismissals to date and an inquiry is looking doubtful. Sure I suppose someone will pay for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Only if they go down ,try best to prevent it with mag flakes calcium bolus pre calving .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

feck.looks like milking cowswill be coming back in. first time since calving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭blackdog1

mahoney_j wrote:
    Only if they go down ,try best to prevent it with mag flakes calcium bolus pre calving .

Flakes are hit and miss I find. Better off biting the bullet and feeding them cal mag in feed. (get mill to make it up). Feed 2kg a cow with a bucket not diet feeder(because of bloody crows) and you know exactly what cows are eating and which are not. Also find feeding oats/ barley mix calves and cows are in great condition and you can stretch silage that bit extra too. Well worth the cost in my opinion, they make it up in extra milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

K.G. wrote: »
    feck.looks like milking cowswill be coming back in. first time since calving

Nice dry morning here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dry morning but a huge downpour lasting a half hour just finished now. Ground getting a bit stick now.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

The option to re tender wasn’t offered, in fact there would have been serious implications as we do our own building :)

It’s not co-located, in fact it’s built on an outfarm to completely remove disease risk (that’s my excuse)

There have been no resignations or dismissals to date and an inquiry is looking doubtful. Sure I suppose someone will pay for it ;)

I know a good consultant (me) to analyse the cost overrun, and will produce a detailed report (highly generic copy and paste job) but dint worry i wont blame anyone ..... who will i send the bill too

I know a good consultant (me) to analyse the cost overrun, and will produce a detailed report (highly generic copy and paste job) but dint worry i wont blame anyone ..... who will i send the bill too

Send to the lad who’s paying..........oh wait, that’s me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Send to the lad who’s paying..........oh wait, that’s me!!!

The sad thing is his bill to you would probably still be less your share of the tax man's money that has been blown on the hospital so far.

First load results came back at bf 4.63 and p 3.62. Scc at 250 and lactose 4.71. Scc high and lactose low. Found a cow with mastitis so will see how scc does with her out. 2 cows I gave a second chance to over the dry period got the road as well, off course they both had heifer calves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I need to reseed my 3ac out sandy outwintering paddock, which will be grazed until next winter when it will go back to the same job. Do I go with westerwolds, Italian or just a cheap grazing mix? I'm gonna prb lob it in with the wagtail and roll soon while conditions are good in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Muddy76 wrote: »
    Have had a few cases of milk fever this year.Vet recommended I put some cal mag on the silage.The problem is they are not keen on it.Would I be better off bringing them in through the parlour and feeding them cow nuts which have cal mag mixed at 2oz in 4kgs.Maybe feed them 2kgs a day for a week up to calving.any suggestions appreciated

I put flow mag in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mf240 wrote: »
    I put flow mag in the water.

Do you use dosatron mf or do you just put it into the dry cows trough out of the drum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭straight

On some run of fr bulls here myself at the moment. Seems to be no breaking it. Thank god for sexed straws or I'd have no heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Do you use dosatron mf or do you just put it into the dry cows trough out of the drum?

Just put it in with a jug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Needed a first aid kit to replace the old one for the bord bia audit
    The nice lady at the local chemist in Pettits superValu made up one for me with everything needed in it,including eye drops,a nice bag and label, for half the price of anywhere else including the local Co Op store
    It's the little things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Timmaay wrote: »
    I need to reseed my 3ac out sandy outwintering paddock, which will be grazed until next winter when it will go back to the same job. Do I go with westerwolds, Italian or just a cheap grazing mix? I'm gonna prb lob it in with the wagtail and roll soon while conditions are good in the field.

I wonder being a sandy bank and a small area, could you try some of those cover crop mixes for the lark to see will it change the soil and put a bit of carbon in.
    That area is your lobster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

What products are people using to disinfect the calf pens. I'm using kenocox in a household cleaning spray bottle bit i find i have a very sore throat after using it. I'm kinda worried is it safe to use. We had a bad crypto prob lk am with calves d last few years and so I am extra careful with cleaning and disinfecting pens between calves

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement