Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

orm0nd wrote: »
    What's the best calf jacket and supplier ?

http://www.boviwear.co.uk/
    use the above find them great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Got a few cosy calf jackets this year think they’re a fine job and good quality €35!each

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭straight

Ffs, I hardly have a jacket for myself. Fr bull calves are a disaster this year. I've heard of people shooting them. We're well on the road to new zealand farming. Just hope the milk cheque holds up because calf money or cull cow money is no more good.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

straight wrote: »
    Ffs, I hardly have a jacket for myself. Fr bull calves are a disaster this year. I've heard of people shooting them. We're well on the road to new zealand farming. Just hope the milk cheque holds up because calf money or cull cow money is no more good.

Ive never heard of anyone shooting even Jersey X. Are you sure its not just sending to a slaughter house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭visatorro

Can you do a check for SCC with fairy liguid? Just wanted a rough idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

It’s a long time since calf money was anything to wrote home about. Lads bringing month old calves to the mart for €150-70 was always false economy but good for ego

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It’s a long time since calf money was anything to wrote home about. Lads bringing month old calves to the mart for €150-70 was always false economy but good for ego

What's worse is lads going to mart to sell calves and bringing them home when they get bids of 50 euro. .. can't understand it. Hauler takes em here and only instruction is don't bring them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭cute geoge

what is wrong with a price of 150 after a months feeding ,it is not that a calf can consume a massive amount of milk in the first month .Last year was it about €60/70 for 10 day old good fr bull calf out of yard .What is that price this year anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 29,290 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is multivit injection gone off the market?

Chap who helps a weekends arrived 40 minutes late this morning. He slipped in past me as I was out moving wires. I arrived back to the yard to hear him getting one of the best dressing downs I’ve heard in a while.

Our two full time guys are both mid forties and totally reliable often going way beyond what reasonable to expect. Saturday here is treated as a Sunday work wise ie they like a few hours free between the morning and evening jobs.

They outlined to your man that he didn’t let the boss down as he will just get someone else to help out but he had let them down. He has caused them to miss an hour or two down time today and that if it happens again that he’s not to bother coming at all.

Me, I went and made a cuppa!

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    What's worse is lads going to mart to sell calves and bringing them home when they get bids of 50 euro. .. can't understand it. Hauler takes em here and only instruction is don't bring them home.

I’ve sold calves for €5 in the mart

Heifer calving at the moment, they are all in calf to an angus bull. Feet are white and legs are white. This could be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Not hearing of any calves been shot and nearly certain it ain’t true none the less u shouldn’t be posting stuff like that in a public forum ,lots of vegans about to twist it if u can’t take down that post I suggest one of the mods do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

cute geoge wrote: »
    what is wrong with a price of 150 after a months feeding ,it is not that a calf can consume a massive amount of milk in the first month .Last year was it about €60/70 for 10 day old good fr bull calf out of yard .What is that price this year anyone know

60/70 at 10 days for fr bull id take it all day long

whelan2 wrote: »
    Heifer calving at the moment, they are all in calf to an angus bull. Feet are white and legs are white. This could be interesting...

A whitehead bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A whitehead Angus?:P

A whitehead Angus?:P

The Holy spirit is alive and well.... I'd say it was a whitehead weanling with one ball that we couldn't squeeze is the daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

cute geoge wrote: »

Costs 3€ a day I'm told to rear a calf. That's 90€ gone into them over 30 days. I'd happily take 50 for a 10 day old calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    The Holy spirit is alive and well.... I'd say it was a whitehead weanling with one ball that we couldn't squeeze is the daddy

He'll deny it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

neighbor had twins the other day, one friesian and one angus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Posted this on the other chat thread. May be relevant here tbh.
    What they are calling 'Project Calf' pulled together the exact locations of more than 9,000 dairy farms on Google maps, advising its followers to ‘expose the atrocities of the dairy industry through citizen journalism, peaceful protesting and outreach’(sic).
    The (UK) Government’s data protection watchdog is investigating after the details of every dairy farm in England and Wales were exposed by a vegan group .

See:
    https://www.fginsight.com/news/news/farmer-fury-as-vegan-group-project-calf-publishes-map-of-uk-dairy-farms-78652

Their activists are calling on those with nothing better to do than take their cameras and record what dairy farmers get up to etc!

I'm sure there's serious issues here with GDPR and data privacy. These cnuts are taking intimidation and harassment just one step to far over the line ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Bull pens filling up, back to 50 50 now. 3 aa heifers as well. Still my 3 jerseys are all heifers so at least that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Newest staff member seems to be getting the hang of it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If vegans ate more meat, there would be no need to shoot baby calves. Vegans should be told this.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

visatorro wrote: »
    Can you do a check for SCC with fairy liguid? Just wanted a rough idea
    Start with the proper CMT kit from the local agristore.The amount of sodium laureth sulfate in the washing up liquid can vary a lot between brands making the results vary also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

If vegans ate more meat, there would be no need to shoot baby calves. Vegans should be told this.

A version of the Ali G argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Only about 0.5% if the world is vegan, they’ll hardly make a difference. They are well able to shout about it though.

Calves coming thick and fast. Was tagging a calf this afternoon, noticed a cow lying down calving. I said I’ll be with you in 5 minutes, fecking born backwards and smothered. Had I intervened 3 mins sooner the heifer would be alive. Fecking kicking myself as we hadn’t lost a calf till today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Calves coming thick and fast. Was tagging a calf this afternoon, noticed a cow lying down calving. I said I’ll be with you in 5 minutes, fecking born backwards and smothered. Had I intervened 3 mins sooner the heifer would be alive. Fecking kicking myself as we hadn’t lost a calf till today.
    Is the new housing finished?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Muddy76

Have had a few cases of milk fever this year.Vet recommended I put some cal mag on the silage.The problem is they are not keen on it.Would I be better off bringing them in through the parlour and feeding them cow nuts which have cal mag mixed at 2oz in 4kgs.Maybe feed them 2kgs a day for a week up to calving.any suggestions appreciated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement