Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

whelan2 wrote: »
    Sorry for all the questions, where do ye store your lime and saw dust? Thinking of a little store in the new building
    Buy a scrapped van. It’s a shed on wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Buy a scrapped van. It’s a shed on wheels.

No need to buy one here.... Good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No need to buy one here.... Good idea

Old chest freezers handy too

Ordered a load of dairy nuts on Friday to go in my meal bin. They put a load of coarse in. Now my augers wouldn't be too healthy. I emphasised nuts when ordering as I had gotten a load of coarse tipped previously. Is it much of a job for them to take it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Ordered a load of dairy nuts on Friday to go in my meal bin. They put a load of coarse in. Now my augers wouldn't be too healthy. I emphasised nuts when ordering as I had gotten a load of coarse tipped previously. Is it much of a job for them to take it back?

No problem only a phone call.

• Advertisement

One here for Dawg, testing groundwater for P losses by a PhD student.
    https://twitter.com/FresneMaelle/status/1093217296112406528?s=19

It’s a start I suppose...
    When will they test to a depth?
    Tested to 90cm here and planning to go to 120cm for both N & P.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I remember 2yrs ago I was getting a ton bag of hulls from the local coop, new young lad working there, he forgot to check the hopper was empty before filling the bag. Half a ton of some other nut drops into the bag. 15mins waiting around to empty it and actually fill it properly, I eventually go in to pay for it, lad behind the counter says like that will be 300e/ton, I'm like what, hulls only 180 usually. Turned out they thought I wanted soyabean meal haha. I decided after that whole experience that I was absolutely wasting my time collecting ton bags and instead just get it delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It’s a start I suppose...
    When will they test to a depth?
    Tested to 90cm here and planning to go to 120cm for both N & P.

There's a bit more on her Twitter account iirc but it early yet for results. Should be interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

First milk collection scc was 891 by the milkedin app that i downloaded to my phone. No text with results sent to my phone. Spent alot of time going through the cows trying to figure it out. Got in milk recorder this evening to record the herd. Not too long after finishing i got another message from the app daying the scc was 56. Any ideas how this could have happen? I will get onto the creamery manager tomorrow.

There's a bit more on her Twitter account iirc but it early yet for results. Should be interesting though.

I’d honestly prefer if all testing was conducted by independent companies as it is here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭blackdog1

First milk collection scc was 891 by the milkedin app that i downloaded to my phone. No text with results sent to my phone. Spent alot of time going through the cows trying to figure it out. Got in milk recorder this evening to record the herd. Not too long after finishing i got another message from the app daying the scc was 56. Any ideas how this could have happen? I will get onto the creamery manager tomorrow.

Fresh cows... Cow can calve with a million scc and quickly become 50 in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Fresh cows... Cow can calve with a million scc and quickly become 50 in a couple of days.

Same test. 2 different results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Can I ask the dairy farmers on here a question - last night on the Claire Byrne Show, they talked about Brexit. A dairy farmer from Wexford said he'd be impacted badly as he sent his milk to Strathroy dairies in Tyrone where the milk was processed, with some probably coming back South for sale to consumers here.

How is it possible that milk is being trucked from Wexford to Tyrone? How can that be economical?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

jay0109 wrote: »
    Can I ask the dairy farmers on here a question - last night on the Claire Byrne Show, they talked about Brexit. A dairy farmer from Wexford said he'd be impacted badly as he sent his milk to Strathroy dairies in Tyrone where the milk was processed, with some probably coming back South for sale to consumers here.

How is it possible that milk is being trucked from Wexford to Tyrone? How can that be economical?

Would show ya what margins Glanbia have trucking it nearby, Glanbia factory only 14 miles from here

jay0109 wrote: »

Interesting point, what's in a lorry, 25000l?, let's call it 9grand worth of milk (well to the farmer ha, I'd say its a lot more valuable to the processor!), how much is haulage from wexford to Tyrone, against say Wexford to Bellview for Glanbia?, I'd assume it will be several 100 in the difference in haulage, or let's call it 3 to 5% the value of the milk? Strathroy are happy however to come in and offer a guaranteed 0.55c/l over the glanbia base price, so it shows there is definitely reasonable profit in processing milk, even after the extra haulage and extra over the glanbia base.

simx wrote: »
    Would show ya what margins Glanbia have trucking it nearby, Glanbia factory only 14 miles from here

I know when that farmer was with Glanbia, the milk used to go to Ballyragget, closer, but still was probably nearly 60 miles.

The expensive part is collecting from the farmers, distances between the farms, waiting to fill the lorry and small roads.
    If they can get a few larger dairy farms close together, you would be in strathroy's yard in a little over 3 hours from North County Wexford.

Glanbia plant 8 miles from here and our milk goes to lough egish for uht over an hour away.

StrathRoy pay a better price than Glanbia too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Dirty cows/heifers, what do you do with them?
    Leave them if not too bad?
    Wash them out yourself? If so what do you use.
    Or go in with something like metricure.

We usually don't get many but have one bad one here who is smelling pretty foul so I'll get the vet to look at her

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

We usually don't get many but have one bad one here who is smelling pretty foul so I'll get the vet to look at her

Wash out after 7/10 days never just leave them as can lead to bigger problem down road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

A course of antibiotics if she is dirty a few days after calving, Doreen used say wash out 30 days post calving with metricure and give a shot of estrumate.

Supply voltage today only running at 210v, and drops to 200v when there is a load on it like the tank or vacuum pump. Vacuum pump motor blew a capacitor this morning at the end of the milking ugh. Esb coming out now to check whats wrong, are they meant to guarantee a certain supply voltage? Too many big motors here between the tank, vaccum pump, scrapers, augers, well to risk having the likes of this regularly happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Zeebsisgone654

Processing milk for commodities is 3 percent margin, I don’t what the margin is in liquid milk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Just got a letter for the new winter milk scheme from Dairygold today. Basically have to produce 6% of annual milk yield per month for 4 months ,so a min of 28% of yearly supply . Max payment is for 35% of annual supply. If you don't make min of 27% your out and get paid no bonus on any winter milk supplied....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Timmaay wrote: »
    Supply voltage today only running at 210v, and drops to 200v when there is a load on it like the tank or vacuum pump. Vacuum pump motor blew a capacitor this morning at the end of the milking ugh. Esb coming out now to check whats wrong, are they meant to guarantee a certain supply voltage? Too many big motors here between the tank, vaccum pump, scrapers, augers, well to risk having the likes of this regularly happening.

Snap
    Had that problem 2 weeks ago and I'm the only one on my transformer
    When the compressor kicked in,the lights went out and the machine stopped
    Milk pump was able to put the lights out
    The min guarantee is around 190 volts circa
    The curious and suspicious thing with me was it was happening at roughly the same time but they wouldn't admit that someone was hogging all the juice on the line
    Voltage at the transformer when they were here was only 217
    At the yard it was 211
    No issues of course when they were here
    It's only happened once since so I think they must have done something

If it's a regular occurrence they'll put a voltage recorder on your supply so to know how bad it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Just got a letter for the new winter milk scheme from Dairygold today. Basically have to produce 6% of annual milk yield per month for 4 months ,so a min of 28% of yearly supply . Max payment is for 35% of annual supply. If you don't make min of 27% your out and get paid no bonus on any winter milk supplied....

Have a feeling they may be looking for suppliers yet. 5.6cent just not enough

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Mooooo wrote: »
    Have a feeling they may be looking for suppliers yet. 5.6cent just not enough

No danger of any of the winter milk schemes been under subscribed. there are more than enough lads with no control over their calving pattern, that have to take whatever price they are given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Snap
    Had that problem 2 weeks ago and I'm the only one on my transformer
    When the compressor kicked in,the lights went out and the machine stopped
    Milk pump was able to put the lights out
    The min guarantee is around 190 volts circa
    The curious and suspicious thing with me was it was happening at roughly the same time but they wouldn't admit that someone was hogging all the juice on the line
    Voltage at the transformer when they were here was only 217
    At the yard it was 211
    No issues of course when they were here
    It's only happened once since so I think they must have done something

If it's a regular occurrence they'll put a voltage recorder on your supply so to know how bad it is

We had a lot of issues last spring with fuses tripping and we have our own transformer here. Isolated everything and it used trip with different items running.

Turns out whoever connected the transformer made a dogs dinner of it and they reconnected it properly and no problem since. BIL knew one of the sparkys doing it and asked what the problem was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Yeah the cables from the transformer here were replaced after storm Darwin 5 years ago to a twisted insulated single pair
    They spent a few hours here of a Saturday evening re doing the connections, the dips were happening bad that day so I just rang them
    I still think it was a problem in our case of juice in the line though,a new garage and factory gone up using the same 3 phase line,we run off
    But I haven't asked as it's only happened once since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Answer his question, because I’d love to know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement