Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

As they say in junior cert maths, show us your rough work?

36900/52/39= 18 euro an hour

35500/52/37.5= 18 euro an hour.

Just ran that through in my head but I think my math is correct. You can go to town on me for not going to decimal places!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

When did I say you were not qualified? It just surprised me that it did not use to be a university degree. I never made any comment as to whether it was qualified or not.

Sorry my mistake it wasn't you used the word " unqualified "
    But this is what you wrote .

Find it bizaare that some nurses have no formal education. No knock on you but I couldn't do my job as a pharmacist if I hadn't studied it in college. I would have killed loads of people.

Nurses had a formal education in schools of nursing with tutors and lectures and exams . They were awaded a diploma based on written exams and clinical assessments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Just ran that through in my head but I think my math is correct. You can go to town on me for not going to decimal places!

Most nurses have 39hr contracts. If not all

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake it wasn't you used the word " unqualified "
    But this is what you wrote .

Nurses had a formal education in schools of nursing with tutors and lectures and exams . They were awaded a diploma based on written exams and clinical assessments

I just was surprised that nursing used to be a diploma until relatively recently. Just don't think that if you graduated with a diploma in nursing today. You would struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

24 - 27 days holidays for a staff nurse in the ER in St. James

20 is statutory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I just was surprised that nursing used to be a diploma until relatively recently. Just don't think that if you graduated with a diploma in nursing today. You would struggle.

I never struggled . I learned my trade and was very good at it as are the many nurses still working with diploma level training . Its a massive insult to dismiss them as inferior . I trained and helped and guided many girls who arrived clutching degrees . We all learned from experience

20 is statutory

I get 28 days annual leave. I don't see a problem with this.

I get 28 days annual leave. I don't see a problem with this.

Any thing over the statutory minimum is a benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

20 is statutory

They're awarded based on service years. You don't start at 27 days, I assure you.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I never struggled . I learned my trade and was very good at it as are the many nurses still working with diploma level training . Its a massive insult to dismiss them as inferior . I trained and helped and guided many girls who arrived clutching degrees . We all learned from experience

Again. I don't think you are inferior. I'm just saying that you need a serious grounding in the sciences these days to work as a nurse. Of course you can learn through experience but starting off, it must have been intense with just a diploma background.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

I was waiting for someone to say that. So why don’t we tell nurses to get a better paying job then? Works both ways doesn’t it!!

Not really. Supply and demand. I've been self-employed for most of my life and believe me I know all about supply and demand. Talk to any brickie about how much he earns in a boom and out of a boom.

Miike wrote: »
    They're awarded based on service years. You don't start at 27 days, I assure you.

I've moved over from the NHS. I started on 28 days annual leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Any thing over the statutory minimum is a benefit.

So?

So?

So when assessing how hard done by nurses are, the benefits show be factored in too

I've moved over from the NHS. I started on 28 days annual leave.

You're not a nurse either.

As a nurse you have 27 days @ 10+ years post reg. experience.

When did I say you were not qualified? It just surprised me that it did not use to be a university degree. I never made any comment as to whether it was qualified or not.

To be fair, that's not how it came across, but if that's what you meant then fair enough.

So when assessing how hard done by nurses are, the benefits show be factored in too

They are.

This starting salary is not a part of the agreement?
    Also, staff nurses are on a 39 hour week.

Again. I don't think you are inferior. I'm just saying that you need a serious grounding in the sciences these days to work as a nurse. Of course you can learn through experience but starting off, it must have been intense with just a diploma background.

Many diplomas in the 70's would far exceed a lot of today's degrees.

You're not a nurse either.

As a nurse you have 27 days @ 10+ years post reg. experience.

Wow. That's not great to be fair. I didn't realise this. Not sure why I thought everybody got 28 days. Just presumed it was par for the course because that's what I got.

• Advertisement

Varta wrote: »

I severely doubt that especially if you wanted to be an ANP..

I think you're missing the point in what he's saying. Nursing has changed from what it used to be and is scientific degree subject now. Without a decent grasp of the sciences you'd not have a hope in today's nursing degree.

In the interest of clarity - I'm not putting down nursing diplomas. But even thing's like xray, radioactivity and diagnostic radiology which are part of the new nursing education are incredibly complicated topics.

I really doubt that.

I always wondered what studying would have been like pre internet.
    Suppose if you couldn't find an answer in the library, then you had to start phoning people.

When you factor in the extra 8 days holidays. Hard working nurses work 9 hours less a month than the 39 hour 20 day holiday people. (if the nurse get 4 days over statutory , that nurse works 5 hours less per month than a 39 hour worker with statutory holidays)

When you factor in the extra 8 days holidays. Hard working nurses work 9 hours less a month than the 39 hour 20 day holiday people. (if the nurse get 4 days over statutory , that nurse works 5 hours less per month than a 39 hour worker with statutory holidays)

Regular workers don't deal with sickness and death on a daily basis.

Regular workers don't deal with sickness and death on a daily basis.

Right so you agree they work less hours than other professions?

Right so you agree they work less hours than other professions?
    I honestly don't give a f*ck how many hours anyone works.

I think you're missing the point in what he's saying. Nursing has changed from what it used to be and is scientific degree subject now. Without a decent grasp of the sciences you'd not have a hope in today's nursing degree.

In the interest of clarity - I'm not putting down nursing diplomas. But even thing's like xray, radioactivity and diagnostic radiology which are part of the new nursing education are incredibly complicated topics.

To get into nursing in the 80's you required two science subjects in the LC. You then attended nursing school (college) at various time throughout your training. Plus, there isn't a single nurse who qualified with a diploma and then stood still. Training is ongoing. Many nurses who qualified in the 70's/80's have multiple specialities today.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

That said though, nursing is really basic in terms of science content-, I studied medical science, and lived with some nursing students, and the difference in content was quite stark- nursing was definitely an "easier" degree.

• Advertisement

I honestly don't give a f*ck how many hours anyone works.

Ok
    13 x 13 is 169. You're not counting the half hour changeover at the start and end of shift.

So they work 2 hours more. :confused::confused:

And they work overtime.

And they work a free shift once every 4 weeks.

Advertisement