Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

wrangler wrote: »
    If we want proper treatment it seems we have to pay for it,
    I was criticised lately by a HSE physio for going to a Chiropractor so I told her that if he wasn't doing a good job he wouldn't make a living where as with her..............it didn't matter

I've no issues with chiropractors as long as they don't make false claims. But they are mainly only good with minor muscle pain. Nothing wrong with going to a chiropractor, but the evidence that a physio would base their practice on would better than a chiropractor. Glad the placebo effect worked for you, dude.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

Lovely stuff.
    Labour court will undoubtedly side with the government and this is Phil's escape now from the pressure of the strike. Honestly she is in way over her head.

Telling no other nursing TU went on strike as they knew it would be breaking the agreement they had already signed up to.

Hi Brendan, how's your evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Hope to see our health service improve now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You called that well......

Nurses didn't win because they deserved it, they won because they put vulnerable lives at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No it's not.

The average according to that bull**** study that people keep quoting was 55k, with 12k of that in overtime and allowances.

So 43k average. So it's a 3.5% pay rise on basic.
    Not great now, but we'll wait for the rest of the report to see what training and other allowances are coming through.

Then we'll see if the nurses accept it, or go back on the picket.

At least you're finally close to admitting what the average earnings are.

• Advertisement

I've no issues with chiropractors as long as they don't make false claims. But they are mainly only good with minor muscle pain. Nothing wrong with going to a chiropractor, but the evidence that a physio would base their practice on would better than a chiropractor. Glad the placebo effect worked for you, dude.:)

Physios I've met are very poor, not even able to give placebo effect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There won't be a seat to be had on flights from Australia :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

At least you're finally close to admitting what the average earnings are.

At least I'm admitting the numbers are bull**** and not passing them off as fact.
    I don't know what the real number is.

Out of curiosity, what was your specific diagnosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

Nurses didn't win because they deserved it, they won because they put vulnerable lives at risk

The government have been putting lives at risk for years in the health service between all the scandals, under staffing every sector of the HSE. Cop yourself on you absolute tool

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, what was your specific diagnosis? As a general opinion, the less meds a patient is on the better. So physios do great work in that manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lapis Luzali

The thread is about nurse strikes to be fair.

But if you want to include all public servants in this how would you propose to address the point I made above on nurses without degrees but lots of experience vs those fresh out of college with the masters. Those with the masters are deserving of an extra incentive as per your earlier point, so how do you differentiate between the two groups?

You dont differentiate.

Nurses havnt been allowed entry in to the profession without a qualification in over 20 years, the unqualified nurses are already at the top of the pay scale or near abouts. This would only effect new entrants who are already on a lower payscale to what they would have gotten just 10 years ago starting out. It would have no effect on unqualified nurses.
    As time goes on the older generations of nurses and midwives will retire and all new entrants will be qualified.

Its been happening across the public sector for years, the entry requirements are getting higher while wages are getting lower and qualification allowances are being cut. New entrants are far less well off than older and sometimes unqualified staff, thats not to say im suggesting the pay or respect due to unqualified and experienced staff should be undermined or cut, im debating that qualification allowances should be reinstated.

My original post, which you likely missed, was about nurses on social media spreading false claims that teachers and other public sector workers are on a much higher starting pay than they actually get and have less qualifications than they actually have, some nurses are using these false claims to push their agenda. I agree with pay increases for nurses and the strikes but I disagree with the false claims being spread to push an agenda. Teachers have been in full support of nurses but are equally struggling with loss of pay and massive reduction in new entrant wages. Its disheartening to see some nurses push other public sector workers under the bus to sway opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hopefully the teachers are next out for pay restoration after this result for nurses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'd say a few of the lads here are fierce hyper giving the turn of events - and the official position that the PSSA wasn't breached.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,390 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Does public opinion really matter however? If they feel their case is justified they should just plough on. The only caviat should be that the Army medical corp will probably be utilised to provide an ambulance service.

Well it should matter seeing as it's the public that has to pay for all this and put up with the disruption to their lives that striking causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You dont differentiate.

Nurses havnt been allowed entry in to the profession without a qualification in over 20 years, the unqualified nurses are already at the top of the pay scale or near abouts. This would only effect new entrants who are already on a lower payscale to what they would have gotten just 10 years ago starting out. It would have no effect on unqualified nurses.
    As time goes on the older generations of nurses and midwives will retire and all new entrants will be qualified.

Its been happening across the public sector for years, the entry requirements are getting higher while wages are getting lower and qualification allowances are being cut. New entrants are far less well off than older and sometimes unqualified staff, thats not to say im suggesting the pay or respect due to unqualified and experienced staff should be undermined,.

Unqualified ? No nurse is unqualified ? I had no degree but I sure as hell was a qualified nurse

A qualified person is defined by OSHA as one who, “by possession of a recognized degree, certificate, or professional standing, or who by extensive knowledge, training and experience, has successfully demonstrated his ability to solve or resolve problems relating to the subject matter

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Unqualified ? No nurse is unqualified ? I had no degree but I sure as hell was a qualified nurse

Find it bizaare that some nurses have no formal education. No knock on you but I couldn't do my job as a pharmacist if I hadn't studied it in college. I would have killed loads of people.

Out of curiosity, what was your specific diagnosis?

It's just a back pain from years ago it locks, he sorts it, problem solved. It happened Christmas Eve this year and I didn't get to see him for 5 or 6 days I learn't that it wouldn't go away of it's own accord by resting it. I went to a consultant 25years ago and was told I'd have to live with it and that was a HSE consultant, went to chiropractor after that
    Chiropractor is that long and more in Business, if he was no good he wouldn't be there, huge number of babies are brought to him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Find it bizaare that some nurses have no formal education. No knock on you but I couldn't do my job as a pharmacist if I hadn't studied it in college. I would have killed loads of people.

Don't be ridiculous , nurses have education and diplomas going back years . I trained in 1972 and we all had a diploma . Or do you only count UNI education as " formal "
    What an insulting uninformed post. I least I learned respect for others and I didn't need a Uni education to teach me that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,390 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

alloywheel wrote: »
    2005 all over again.

Paddy Power is taking bets on the country going bankrupt again within a few years, once the next deep recession due to any combination of number of possible factors eg Brexit / rise in interest rate / EU raises our corporation tax and multinationals move kicks in etc etc. The UK along with the IMF bailed us out last time, I wonder who will do it next time?

I'd say it's not a matter of if but when we go bust and like last time it's the private sector who will feel the brunt of it when job losses hit.

• Advertisement

Best trained nurses have no degrees,

It's just a back pain from years ago it locks, he sorts it, problem solved. It happened Christmas Eve this year and I didn't get to see him for 5 or 6 days I learn't that it wouldn't go away of it's own accord by resting it. I went to a consultant 25years ago and was told I'd have to live with it and that was a HSE consultant, went to chiropractor after that
    Chiropractor is that long and more in Business, if he was no good he wouldn't be there, huge number of babies are brought to him
    Like I said, chiropractors are grand for minor muscle issues. If it works for you, great. Better than been on benzos/gabapentin.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. There may be an increase in pay, but not a proportionate lift in quality...the cultural shift will take somewhat longer than a revised wage packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Old diesel wrote: »
    If end of shift is the 7 pm of his 7 am to 7 pm shift and a assuning the nurses in question also started at 7 am - then the question id be asking is how long is a SAFE shift in theatre.

By safe I mean in terms of avoiding errors/patient safety issues.

You're making a lot of assumptions there OD. Firstly, he and all surgeons frequently operate after 7pm, it's a needs must business.

The end of shift for a nurse could frequently be 3pm, or other similar time during the working day. So this is the issue. Lack of flexibility from the tail shuts down the dog as it were. Not good practice, highly costly and very inefficient but typical of the HSE culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Wow, really didn't think they would suspend Tuesday this late. Hospitals and their switchboards will be insane now tomorrow...people will have made alternative arrangements as at this point everything tomorrow except some very urgent operations was fully cancelled and we had started on Wednesdays. Hopefully the recommendations are good and accepted by all sides...I'd rather the strikes went ahead this week rather than have them suspended and then they reject proposals and go back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

alloywheel wrote: »
    2005 all over again.

Paddy Power is taking bets on the country going bankrupt again within a few years, once the next deep recession due to any combination of number of possible factors eg Brexit / rise in interest rate / EU raises our corporation tax and multinationals move kicks in etc etc. The UK along with the IMF bailed us out last time, I wonder who will do it next time?

Absolute ireland top of the list- all public expenditure has been snowballing since the IMF left town and its only accelerating.
    We are in such a vulnerable place- brexit, massive national debts, massive personal debts, very poor infrastructure coupled with lagging capital spending (easier give the idiots a few quid a week rather invest for the long term).
    We needed a good decade of very prudent fiscal responsibility but the public sector have continued on where they left off in 2008. I genuinely worry about this stuff as it affects us all in the coming years but the general public demand is for one of reckless spending. They’ll then wonder why the economy will implode once we hit the next downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf they can just demand another increase in the next year or two

There will also be a new public service pay agreement negotiated next year.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous , nurses have education and diplomas going back years . I trained in 1972 and we all had a diploma . Or do you only count UNI education as " formal "
    What an insulting uninformed post. I least I learned respect for others and I didn't need a Uni education to teach me that

I meant no disrespect. But yeah, I think in this day and age, you would need a university degree to function as a nurse. The job is quite complex. Would you get your meds checked by a pharmacist who hadn't gone to college?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lapis Luzali

Best trained nurses have no degrees,

It's very clear how little the older generation of nurses support their younger colleagues. You sound extremely insecure.

Nurses with degrees worked long and hard for their qualifications and worked for free gaining experience before being permitted to gain employment. That dedication should be applauded. I wouldnt be so quick to turn my nose up at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,314 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ricero wrote: »
    Hopefully the teachers are next out for pay restoration after this result for nurses

Its rises at this stage.

Not restoration

Advertisement