Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

Also, I checked my contract. I actually only have 26 days annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

Also, I checked my contract. I actually only have 26 days annual leave.

You must of arrived late into the HSE. I have 29 I think must double check. Some of my colleagues have 30 or 31 on the older contacts at senior grade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

My first sentence wasn't a question. It was a sentence.

I was under the impression the public sector where big in to benchmarking, but maybe not if the bench mark is a full working week with statutory minimum holidays.

None of that makes sense?

Why would you benchmark against a minimum?
    Sure why not benchmark everyones wages against the minimum wage while we're at it :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

A lottery win for every nurse on retirement..... Sure of course we can afford it Ted!?

.... Oh f**k!!

daithi7 wrote: »
    A lottery win for every nurse on retirement..... Sure of course we can afford it Ted!?

.... Oh f**k!!

They're hiring if you want to get some of that action!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

None of that makes sense?

Why would you benchmark against a minimum?
    Sure why not benchmark everyones wages against the minimum wage while we're at it :confused::confused:

What would you bench mark it off? The max. Time off given.. Benchmark them against someone unemployed? :confused:

Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997 lays out workers entitlements. The gov. Wrote it, they should use it in their negogations.

When nurses are saying they get paid x, the should really be saying we get x, and z additional days extra holidays as a benefit.

When they talk about how hard the work they should add, we get extra holidays as a benefit.

The benefits are never recognised

I would not benchmark the pay against minimum wage, as this is the minimum wage for unskilled labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

They're hiring if you want to get some of that action!

Sorry, I got more than 2 honours in my leaving, so as a reward, I just have to pay for this ****eology ;)

What would you bench mark it off? The max. Time off given.. Benchmark them against someone unemployed? :confused:

Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997 lays out workers entitlements. The gov. Wrote it, they should use it in their negogations.

I'm sure they tried and the INMO told them where to go.
    alloywheel wrote: »
    I am too old to be joining, and if I was that age again everyone would say I had far too good a Leaving cert to be throwing my life away being a nurse. In addition, I would get frustrated only working less than half the days in the year, chatting and bitching about patients over long tea breaks etc
    Besides,not everyone in the country can get a pension pot worth over a million euro from the government.

Must be tough throwing your life away for an easy job and a million euro pension.
    it's a wonder why more people aren't sacrificing themselves on that altar.

I am too old to be joining, and if I was that age again everyone would say I had far too good a Leaving cert to be throwing my life away being a nurse. In addition, I would get frustrated only working less than half the days in the year, chatting and bitching about patients over long tea breaks etc
    Besides,not everyone in the country can get a pension pot worth over a million euro from the government.

If work was in the bed you would lie on the ground. I bet you spent most of your life on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

When nurses are saying they get paid x, the should really be saying we get x, and z additional days extra holidays as a benefit.

When they talk about how hard the work they should add, we get extra holidays as a benefit.

The benefits are never recognised

I would not benchmark the pay against minimum wage, as this is the minimum wage for unskilled labour.

So, if you apply for a job in the private sector , you might get vhi included , company car , shares etc. little perks .. nothing secretive about it

• Advertisement

If work was in the bed you would lie on the ground. I bet you spent most of your life on the dole

Most of his posts are on this very thread. Makes you wonder who does pay him to spread lies and disinformation.

Still clinging on dearly to the OECD report :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

What did the public service do to you to make you so bitter towards it? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Most of his posts are on this very thread. Makes you wonder who does pay him to spread lies and disinformation.

I think a nurse rejected him in Coppers l

If I recall correctly you are partial to posting lies and disinformation

Alloywheel has got grumpy in his old age. Word of advice, the nurses won't put up with that attitude of yours when your in the nursing home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

3 weeks to vote yay or nay ..... I wouldn’t be surprised one bit when the inmo members study it in its fullest that the deal will be rejected. Paschal will have to root around the back of the couch for more coinage , perhaps.

I would say I done twice as much work in the past 35 years as any nurse.

Yeah you would say no one else would. Deluded

I would say I done twice as much work in the past 35 years as any nurse.

Tell us what work you do so we can compare it to a nurses both in Ireland and your beloved NHS

I am not bitter towards it, I just think the country is being very badly run and will end up in a very bad position after the next recession. I have paid a 7 figure sum in taxes and hate to see the money squandered and the futures of our children and grandchildren destroyed.

So you've paid millions in taxes?

hawkelady wrote: »
    So, if you apply for a job in the private sector , you might get vhi included , company car , shares etc. little perks .. nothing secretive about it

The private sectors objective is to make money. The public sectors objective is to provide a service to the public.

• Advertisement

If I recall correctly you are partial to posting lies and disinformation

If I'm wrong or dismembered something I'll happily admit it.
    Sure we're only human :p
    The private sectors objective is to make money. The public sectors objective is to provide a service to the public.

And it's every workers responsibility (both public and private) to negotiate the best pay and condition for themselves.
    If you have an in-demand, marketable skill then you're well placed to demand more money and benefits.

No one is a charity.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    So you've paid millions in taxes?

We know from his figures throughout this thread that he's not great with figures. It's a case of whatever pops into his head at any given time

It is not my beloved NHS, I just pointed out facts and statistics about how the neighbouring system, and others around the world, compares to ours.

You never factor in the cost of living though in those stats

Even you have to admit Ireland is an overly expensive place to live

If I'm wrong or dismembered something I'll happily admit it.
    Sure we're only human :p

And it's every workers responsibility (both public and private) to negotiate the best pay and condition for themselves.
    If you have an in-demand, marketable skill then you're well placed to demand more money and benefits.

No one is a charity.

And no one expects anyone to be a charity. Nurses are fairly compensated. How will increasing wages improve conditions?

Over paying public servants only helps drive inflation.

What should they be paid?

And no one expects anyone to be a charity. Nurses are fairly compensated. How will increasing wages improve conditions?

Not according to nurses.

They hold the upper hand in these negotiations. They're highly skilled, in high demand and in limited supply.

The HSE can't work without them, can't hire anyone to replace them and they have plenty of opportunity abroad if their demands aren't met.

I hope they go for gold.
    Over paying public servants only helps drive inflation.

Nurses don't care about inflation, no more than anyone else cares about inflation when they're seeking a pay rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

Alloywheel has got grumpy in his old age. Word of advice, the nurses won't put up with that attitude of yours when your in the nursing home

I’m afraid if he works in the private sector it’s highly unlikely that he will be able to afford to be in a nursing home.

Parkender wrote: »
    I’m afraid if he works in the private sector it’s highly unlikely that he will be able to afford to be in a nursing home.

Haha you obviously never heard of fair deal
    He would probably have to self fund rotten with €€€

Most nurses have family ties to Ireland ( eg their husbands work here or kids go to school here ) and will not emigrate. According to the economist Colm McCarthy on the radio, I think he said only two other countries in the world pay nurses more than Ireland does, and the property bubble has just burst in Australia, so we will see if Oz gets as soft a landing as we got.

It is entirely up to nurses to decide whether they want to stay or go. Of course if they have commitments here they may stay, but it is completely their own choice. They are not beholded to the government or limited in alternatives to Ireland.

As shown by the INMO and Government incentives, there are huge numbers of Irish nurses choosing to move abroad for better opportunities. This is not a pay issue, it is a conditions and under staffing issue which has been highlighted for the last decade.
    The government has failed to act, so nurses must and all power to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭Damien360

Well, as the respected Economist Colm McCarthy said today on the radio, its not fair that the taxpayer here spends up to a quarter of a million euro training each health professional, and they then scarper off to Australia when they qualify, to the benefit of the Australian economy. He made the valid point that pilots have to pay €100,000 for their training. Training all these nurses free of charge has been a massive drain on the Irish economy. He said either the nurses should reimburse us something towards the cost of their training, or else we should have a word with the Australian government. If they pay us for training all the nurses to go working over there, we will pay them to train whatever Oz architects come over here, he said (or words to that effect - we know that the Oz taxpayer does not spend much money training graduates to work in the Irish economy).

To twist that a little. If people end up with large debts from college education then expect even higher salaries to cover the cost. Education is key to economic growth. More than nurses get free education and I also benefitted from that.

Advertisement