Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

[HTML][/HTML]
    road_high wrote: »
    Taxes are already far too high. Well past the point of diminishing returns. It’s in the public expenditure side that the major issue is and not being tackled

Overall taxes are not high in Ireland.

Every study and data supports that statement.

They aren't low either, they are middling compared to EU countries.

Now, the top MTR at 50% approx kicks in way, way too early at 35k approx.

Yes, that gives people the perception that tax are high in Ireland.

But they are not.

Anecdotal example: my parents pay 8-10% income tax on 48-49k income. That is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

daithi7 wrote: »
    With all due respect to you, I think you are the goldfish, who keeps repeating and spouting crap ( your weasel words), along with a lot of totally unnecessary personal jibes while you're at it. You are truly obnoxious.

P.s. I'm just fighting fire with fire here to illustrate to you how it feels!!

Feel free daithi , feel free ... someone posted way back when this thread wasn’t derailed ,that there are a few posters here( you being one of them) that must be FG hacks or such . I initially took it as a joke but I’m beginning to believe it .. yourself , alloy and a few more are relentless !! How many times must the same crap like that nurses are absent constantly , leave to go home in the middle of an operation , earn €58k plus ... I mean , Christ on a bike , even you guys must know you’re just peddling ****e up a hill ffs .. it’ll wear anyone down a lot quicker than a 13.5 hour shift could .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Geuze wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

Overall taxes are not high in Ireland.

Every study and data supports that statement.

They aren't low either, they are middling compared to EU countries.

Now, the top MTR at 50% approx kicks in way, way too early at 35k approx.

Yes, that gives people the perception that tax are high in Ireland.

But they are not.

Anecdotal example: my parents pay 8-10% income tax on 48-49k income. That is very low.

So they're not high but they feel high because they are high but they're not high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

hawkelady wrote: »
    Feel free daithi , feel free ... someone posted way back when this thread wasn’t derailed ,that there are a few posters here( you being one of them) that must be FG hacks or such . I initially took it as a joke but I’m beginning to believe it .. yourself , alloy and a few more are relentless !! How many times must the same crap like that nurses are absent constantly , leave to go home in the middle of an operation , earn €58k plus ... I mean , Christ on a bike , even you guys must know you’re just peddling ****e up a hill ffs .. it’ll wear anyone down a lot quicker than a 13.5 hour shift could .

That's exactly what they are. It's a FG tactic. Their commander in chief disappeared yesterday as soon as the Labour Court stepped in. Just watch, as soon as the nurses reject the offer, he'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Ha, ha that's hilarious, me an FG hack!? Yet because of this fiscal suicide didn't I just express my desire to see a change in government a few posts back :))

Not very FG that hey!? ;)

Look, sorry that a few stubborn facts (absenteeism levels, inflated rising salaries & pensions , comparisons with international equivalents, private sector, etc, etc) are detracting from your diatribe, but that's facts for you I suppose, inconvenient things when they don't fit with your agenda!! Hey?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭acequion

They have this thread well and truly derailed and like you say are relentless. It could actually be a very interesting thread but all reasonable posters have long since abandoned it. A good few pages back I asked one of them for a source to back up some ridiculous assertion and so I keep the odd eye here to see if they did. Not a hope :rolleyes: The thread has now become entertainment value to watch the public service bashing. Some people just have to have a hate target,god love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

acequion wrote: »
    They have this thread well and truly derailed and like you say are relentless. It could actually be a very interesting thread but all reasonable posters have long since abandoned it. A good few pages back I asked one of them for a source to back up some ridiculous assertion and so I keep the odd eye here to see if they did. Not a hope :rolleyes: The thread has now become entertainment value to watch the public service bashing. Some people just have to have a hate target,god love them.

Awww - Diddums got upset because his echo-chamber got ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Newstalk reported that 13 days / month is the standard work days for nurses.

That averages, over the year, as 156 hours /month

A standard 39 hour working week averages at 167 hours / month

The hard working nurses are working a 11 hours less per month than the non-hardworking people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Newstalk reported that 13 days / month is the standard work days for nurses.

That averages, over the year, as 156 hours /month

A standard 39 hour working week averages at 167 hours / month

The hard working nurses are working a 11 hours less per month than the non-hardworking people

13 x 13 is 169. You're not counting the half hour changeover at the start and end of shift.

So they work 2 hours more. :confused::confused:

And they work overtime.

And they work a free shift once every 4 weeks.

Nope I read it, but one opinion does not a fact make!!

(especially when all the facts of the above case indicate other reasons, i.e. nurses absenteeism and lack of flexibility in working practices )

p.s. I made a claim that a surgeon had to stop surgery due to nurses insisting on changing shift during an operation. I know it occured, and assumedly occurs to this day, cos despite all the performance related pay increases and increments, my bet is that opting for this is still at the nurse's discretion.

You don't actually know it occurred. You weren't there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Awww - Diddums got upset because his echo-chamber got ruined.

The irony of this $H1t€ when alloywheelnis the epitome of a broken record about the greedy and fiscally imprudent, grab all nurses 🙄

13 x 13 is 169. You're not counting the half hour changeover at the start and end of shift.

So they work 2 hours more. :confused::confused:

And they work overtime.

And they work a free shift once every 4 weeks.

A free shift??? So they are working for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I work 6 days a week 10 half hours a day with two 12 hour shifts and half day Friday. I come out with roughly same as my other half that works as a nurse and works 3 days a week. Guess I’ll go on strike too

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭feckthisgenie

There are less staff at night. Patients are more or less monitored while they sleep unless they become acutely unwell and need medication, or blood tests.

In your example of eight hour shifts you would need 3 separate rosters for nurses. There isn't enough staff for 3 shifts a day. With 12 hour shifts you have less rosters. The same staff are there for longer so theres less time wasted with handovers at the change of shift.

Yes it's also for continuity of care of the patient. Handovers can be lengthy and imagine doing handover at 4 as one poster said during visiting time and when hospitals are at their busiest with pharmacy, physiotherapy, OT, SLT, dietician etc still on the ward enquiring about patients

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I work 6 days a week 10 half hours a day with two 12 hour shifts and half day Friday. I come out with roughly same as my other half that works as a nurse and works 3 days a week. Guess I’ll go on strike too

or get a better paying job?

With all due respect to you, I think you are the goldfish, who keeps repeating and spouting crap ( your weasel words), along with a lot of totally unnecessary personal jibes while you're at it. You are truly obnoxious.

P.s. I'm just fighting fire with fire here to illustrate to you how it feels!!

No that poster is correct, it's the same bullsh1t and lies coming from yourself daithi7 and that idiot alloywheel

Miike wrote: »
    or get a better paying job?

I was waiting for someone to say that. So why don’t we tell nurses to get a better paying job then? Works both ways doesn’t it!!

I was waiting for someone to say that. So why don’t we tell nurses to get a better paying job then? Works both ways doesn’t it!!

Because they're doing skilled, qualified and tough work in desperate conditions (due a failure of the system) and should be paid accordingly. They are part of core infrastructure of healthcare.

and just to tack on: They are getting better paid jobs outside of Ireland - Part of the problem?

You working in a sweet shop?

Because they're doing skilled, qualified and tough work in desperate conditions (due a failure of the system) and should be paid accordingly. They are part of core infrastructure of healthcare.

and just to tack on: They are getting better paid jobs outside of Ireland - Part of the problem?

So my job isn’t skilled or qualified or tough. Nice try sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Yes exactly

no offence but, maybe you're doing something that isn't of much social value?

Reply to part of a comment and remove the context so it suits you. Nice try 'sunshine'.

We can't make a judgement on your job because we don't know what it is.

Reply to part of a comment and remove the context so it suits you. Nice try 'sunshine'.

Aren’t you upset? Grow up. I’m a apprentice electrician. We work poxy hours for good pay. Same as nurses But do more physically exhausting work. would you all be ok if we decided to go on strike and should something happen we just won’t care then will we? Or how bout mechanics or any other trade out there. Will we all just go on strike because we work more hours for same pay then.

Old diesel wrote: »
    We can't make a judgement on your job because we don't know what it is.

Electrician.

Aren’t you upset? Grow up. I’m a apprentice electrician. We work poxy hours for good pay. Same as nurses But do more physically exhausting work. would you all be ok if we decided to go on strike and should something happen we just won’t care then will we? Or how bout mechanics or any other trade out there. Will we all just go on strike because we work more hours for same pay then.

I'm not sure how you've concluded I'm upset? :confused:

You're an apprentice, in training, and want to be paid more than a qualified nurse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Trades people are just important in keeping hospitals functioning.

But the nurses are all angels

Electrician.

Are you still an apprentice????.

You say you are in another reply.

An apprentice will always be paid less because you are training and not yet qualified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Aren’t you upset? Grow up. I’m a apprentice electrician. We work poxy hours for good pay. Same as nurses But do more physically exhausting work.

Must be tough making all that tea... :pac:

Advertisement