Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Village87

dzer2 wrote: »
    They did in their arse Duggan was more in the half back line in the first half.

Likewise John Donnelly spent a lot of the game coming deep, thats the role of the half forward line in todays game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Big difference was Donnelly moved into the forwards for the puck.outs Duggan never went past midfield that left Galvin as a third midfielder so when he got the ball from the short passes he was free to run at the half back line. Saying that Kilkenny never seemed to have a player in that area when the ball broke free. So they were always chasing back

Big difference was Donnelly moved into the forwards for the puck.outs Duggan never went past midfield that left Galvin as a third midfielder so when he got the ball from the short passes he was free to run at the half back line. Saying that Kilkenny never seemed to have a player in that area when the ball broke free. So they were always chasing back

I really rate John Donnelly, beautiful hurler and very intelligent with a lovely strike off both sides. i just wonder does he have the mobility for the wing forward position that has become so demanding in the modern game. Maybe the no.11 jersey might suit him better where he can roam and pick up possession rather than always working up and down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭blackcard

Village87 wrote: »

I really rate John Donnelly, beautiful hurler and very intelligent with a lovely strike off both sides. i just wonder does he have the mobility for the wing forward position that has become so demanding in the modern game. Maybe the no.11 jersey might suit him better where he can roam and pick up possession rather than always working up and down the line
    I think that a lot of our players would prefer to play in the half forward line. TJ, Richie Hogan, Wally, John Donnelly, Richie Leahy, Blanchfield, Adrian Mullen,Billy Ryan,Kevin Kelly, Martin Keoghan all play in the half forward line for their clubs. For me, I would play Wally at full forward, he would be a nightmare for a full back and should be able to contest against two defenders if playing against a sweeper system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭brookville

mullinr2 wrote: »
    What's the story with Richie Hogan? Will he be back for the next match?
    heard cody being interviewed after the match said walter could of togged today but wasnt going to risked when asked about richie he also said he wasnt going to risked.
    the league last year stood to the newcomers when introduced at different stages and now with no tj or wally to lead the attack the likes of aylward or billy ryan are putting their hand and growing in confidence which can hopefully be only good news for us.Also blooding tommy walsh,delaney and lawlor into defence these lads are only in their early twentys the future looks good.
    intresting james maher has being taken off first.suprised to see him pushed into corner foward yesterday.Id like to see leahy back out mid field or browne given a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Billy Ryan Wally and John Donnelly on the full forward line with TJ and any two from the rest of the pack. No one knows much about Ritchie Hogan so far this season, Ritchie Leahy probably the most potential but potential wins nothing and he will have to step up to the plate in the next few games. Alyward doing himself no harm, Kevin Kellyout so long deserves another chance but he has to show he has it sooner rather than later. Hue Lawlor and Conor Delaney outstanding so far. as is the young Tommy Walsh. Blanchfield starting to put up his hand. Skillful ball winning half forwards with a bit of speed, big order but it is what we need. We appear to have plenty with two of three of these skills but no one with all of them hence the ???? below. Assuming every one is fit

Murphy
    Murphy Lawlor Deegan
    P Walsh Delany Buckley
    ???? Maher
    TJ ???? ????
    Donnelly Wally Ryan

A bench with C Fenelly, R Hogan, Tommy Walsh, M Keoghan, Conor Browne, Ger Alyward ,C Fogarty, Ger Malone, Ritchie Leahy ,Kevin Kelly and a few of the Shamrock newcomers would be a very strong bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭conor05

Billy Ryan Wally and John Donnelly on the full forward line with TJ and any two from the rest of the pack. No one knows much about Ritchie Hogan so far this season, Ritchie Leahy probably the most potential but potential wins nothing and he will have to step up to the plate in the next few games. Alyward doing himself no harm, Kevin Kellyout so long deserves another chance but he has to show he has it sooner rather than later. Hue Lawlor and Conor Delaney outstanding so far. as is the young Tommy Walsh. Blanchfield starting to put up his hand. Skillful ball winning half forwards with a bit of speed, big order but it is what we need. We appear to have plenty with two of three of these skills but no one with all of them hence the ???? below. Assuming every one is fit

Murphy
    Murphy Lawlor Deegan
    P Walsh Delany Buckley
    ???? Maher
    TJ ???? ????
    Donnelly Wally Ryan

A bench with C Fenelly, R Hogan, Tommy Walsh, M Keoghan, Conor Browne, Ger Alyward ,C Fogarty, Ger Malone, Ritchie Leahy ,Kevin Kelly and a few of the Shamrock newcomers would be a very strong bench.

A good back 6 presuming Buckley can get back ok for summer.

Well it’s either Foggy or Leahy midfield with Maher, hard to know which is best. Leahy can contribute immensely or sometimes the game just seems to pass him by completely.

Up front I would go for

10. R. Hogan
    11. J. Donnelly
    12. TJ
    13. G. Alyward
    14. Wally
    15. Billy Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

conor05 wrote: »
    A good back 6 presuming Buckley can get back ok for summer.

Well it’s either Foggy or Leahy midfield with Maher, hard to know which is best. Leahy can contribute immensely or sometimes the game just seems to pass him by completely.

Up front I would go for

10. R. Hogan
    11. J. Donnelly
    12. TJ
    13. G. Alyward
    14. Wally
    15. Billy Ryan

Like thar 6 as a forward line and potentially add adrian mullen to the mix.leahy and maher would be my 2 midfiekd players.defence has to play out with injuries and new players putting their hands up.for me I would go with paul murphy ? Deegan. Walsh delaney buckley if fit.if lawlor works out wouls go with him.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Like thar 6 as a forward line and potentially add adrian mullen to the mix.leahy and maher would be my 2 midfiekd players.defence has to play out with injuries and new players putting their hands up.for me I would go with paul murphy ? Deegan. Walsh delaney buckley if fit.if lawlor works out wouls go with him.

yeah a midfield of Maher and Leahy with the forawrds mentioned above gives us plenty of speed and aeriel ability, Maher and Leahy could be an excellent midfield, both fast and get around the pitch and can run at backs and take scores. They would need watching in themselves leaving a bit of extra space for the forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭mullinr2

yeah a midfield of Maher and Leahy with the forawrds mentioned above gives us plenty of speed and aeriel ability, Maher and Leahy could be an excellent midfield, both fast and get around the pitch and can run at backs and take scores. They would need watching in themselves leaving a bit of extra space for the forwards

I would go with that midfield pairing too, but, Cody likes to play an enforcer in midfield so he will stick with Forgarty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If you put Maher and Leahy together in midfield there will be even more holes in our backs than their currently is. People might not rate him but having Fogarty there plugs gaps that you don't even realise are there. He's an absolute necessity beside Maher or Leahy. Personally I'd just play Leahy at 12, let him come deep for the ball and attack the space he himself has vacated in the half forward line. Play Donnelly at 10 with TJ at 11. Richie at 13 and tell him go wherever you want and Billy Ryan with Walter inside. Colin, Ger Aylward and Mullen as your back ups and potential starters.

Also people talking about Delaney as a centre back. If that was an option he'd be there now but he's obviously seen as a wing back and he's playing well there so why move him.

If you put Maher and Leahy together in midfield there will be even more holes in our backs than their currently is. People might not rate him but having Fogarty there plugs gaps that you don't even realise are there. He's an absolute necessity beside Maher or Leahy. Personally I'd just play Leahy at 12, let him come deep for the ball and attack the space he himself has vacated in the half forward line. Play Donnelly at 10 with TJ at 11. Richie at 13 and tell him go wherever you want and Billy Ryan with Walter inside. Colin, Ger Aylward and Mullen as your back ups and potential starters.

Also people talking about Delaney as a centre back. If that was an option he'd be there now but he's obviously seen as a wing back and he's playing well there so why move him.

Fair points. Opposition midfielders do not worry about Fogarty they go off and play there own games(Galvin the weekend) and can pick up possessions take scores and cause damage as they know Fogarty is not going to cause much of a threat. If we had Leahy and James Maher there then the opposition midfielders would have to keep one eye on these 2 as if you leave them off to play they could destroy you. Midfielders are doing a lot of attacking in the modern game as the wing forwards now drop deep and provide that extra layer of cover.

OK so in that situation who are the wing forwards doing the covering while Leahy and Maher bomb on?

Are you still playing with a 3 man inside line because we're not showing any signs of changing that from what I can see?

Midfield only really works when there's a clear understanding that every time one goes, one stays. Personally I think Maher and Leahy are too good as attackers to work like that so why pair them. I could understand having 2 attacking midfielders if you were playing 2 inside and playing with a third midfielder to allow the other 2 to go forward but as above we don't show any signs of doing that.

What happens when PW plays half back and starts bombing forward? Do you trust Maher and Leahy to fill in?

Because we play with a semi-rigid 6 up front we frequently get exposed at the back when our half back line get drawn out. This would only happen more without someone like Fogarty sitting. There's a reason Fennelly and Jackie and others have in the past praised the unseen work he does. It's because it's needed.

Conor Browne is a similar type of player. If he develops then he's a natural successor to Fogarty but at the minute he does a job that THIS Kilkenny team needs.

In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭blackcard

With the way midfielders play now, I would play Fogarty as a defensive midfielder with Maher given license to attack for 45 minutes. I would then bring on Leahy to run at tiring players for the remaining 25 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭brookville

what are our thoughts on this weekend club matches?the senior has potential to be an absolute cracker.Two teams with some top class fowards.Ballygunner have being well tested on the way while the shamrocks have had a easier run in but conceded a few goals against naomh eanna and really opened up in the secound half against ballyboden.Id always give the shamrock a good chance because they allof their fowards are a threat and when you have that you always have a great chance.Tj,mullen and colin will cause problems and eoin cody looks a great prospect.im looking foward to it.
    great story in the junior castleblaney reaching an all ireland hopefully they give a good account of themselves but dunnamaggin have had a great year and shoukd finish the job this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Which one out of maher and leahy would you play in the the forwards, leahy doesn't seem at home there and maher works so hard in the midfield, leahy is and maher are both too effective to leave out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

The best of luck to the two clubs this weekend from the county , Dunamaginn hope Noel Hickey can finish his career with an all Ireland medal with his club . Should be a good match in thurles great players on both teams it will go down to the wire its hard one to call.

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Which one out of maher and leahy would you play in the the forwards, leahy doesn't seem at home there and maher works so hard in the midfield, leahy is and maher are both too effective to leave out

Maher lasted forty four minutes last sunday he didn't hurl all that in centre field, we need a player like Eoin larkin to develop that worked his socks off pass a ball I said he was the most underated member of that team . I find with maher may be I am to critical he finds it hard to pass a ball .

Garyp88 wrote: »
    I'd play Leahy at left half forward and tell him to drop into midfield and carry the ball up the left hand side into the space he has left for himself. But if he's going to drop into midfield then the backs need to be told that the first instinct to lash it up the field is not the only option. If he plays basically as a 3rd midfielder focused on the left hand side he also creates a hole for Donnelly to play those cross field balls he's so good at either for the corner forward coming out or Leahy/Maher/Delaney to move on to.

Anyway, there's no reason the 2 can't just interchange throughout the game. Trust the pair of them to make it work out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BORO BILL

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Maher lasted forty four minutes last sunday he didn't hurl all that in centre field, we need a player like Eoin larkin to develop that worked his socks off pass a ball I said he was the most underated member of that team . I find with maher may be I am to critical he finds it hard to pass a ball .

I agree Maher will only pass as a last resort seriously lacks vision but the same could be said for leahy and Aylward. Too many guys playing for themselves not team players no real teamwork up front. It’s something Cody really needs to address

• Advertisement

Joe Daly wrote: »
    The best of luck to the two clubs this weekend from the county , Dunamaginn hope Noel Hickey can finish his career with an all Ireland medal with his club . Should be a good match in thurles great players on both teams it will go down to the wire its hard one to call.

Not in Croker? Thats shabby. Thurles is a fantastic arena and a great source of pride to us speaking as a Tipperary man. However, for a little parish like Dunnamaggin, it would have been an amazing experience to play at Croker even just the once. Other than Noel Hickey or one or two others the rest might never get that chance again. The source of the GAA's success comes from rural clubs like Dunnamaggin.

The GAA have their priorities all wrong. They'd make certain the likes of Ed Sheeran plays in Croker but they can't even look after their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Not in Croker? Thats shabby. Thurles is a fantastic arena and a great source of pride to us speaking as a Tipperary man. However, for a little parish like Dunnamaggin, it would have been an amazing experience to play at Croker even just the once. Other than Noel Hickey or one or two others the rest might never get that chance again. The source of the GAA's success comes from rural clubs like Dunnamaggin.

The GAA have their priorities all wrong. They'd make certain the likes of Ed Sheeran plays in Croker but they can't even look after their own.

He is talking about shamrocks and ballygunner
    In thurles.

He is talking about shamrocks and ballygunner
    In thurles.

Oh yes of course. My mistake. Just the way i read it :o
    I look forward certainly to seeing Ballyhale v Ballygunner. Id say it will be a thriller

Looking at the teams left playing Fitzgibbon Cup there doesn't seem to be to many from Kilkenny left in the competition, compared to Munster counties and Galway. Not a massive concern but does show a shift in power

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Anyone hear Colin F. May not be available for the county team this summer?

That would be a big turnaround from this time last week when he gave an interview saying he's mad to get back in after the club

I know its a great arena no complaints here .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Looking at the teams left playing Fitzgibbon Cup there doesn't seem to be to many from Kilkenny left in the competition, compared to Munster counties and Galway. Not a massive concern but does show a shift in power

Looks like Kilkenny hurling is in transition and will take a while to get to where it is again but will never be too far away from success.

Anyone hear Colin F. May not be available for the county team this summer?

Why is that ? Last week he said he made himself available. Kilkenny could do with Colin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

brookville wrote: »
    great story in the junior castleblaney reaching an all ireland hopefully they give a good account of themselves but dunnamaggin have had a great year and shoukd finish the job this weekend.

Even better story in the junior in that the Castleblayney chairman/manager is a Kilkenny man, from Ballyragget!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement