Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McBain11

Will I get away with trying to flash over with a 2gb usb stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

McBain11 wrote: »
    Will I get away with trying to flash over with a 2gb usb stick?
    Should do, no harm trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

McBain - Is the opening screen blue in colour from reboot? I think you have the default software and not the open ATV. See page 13 of this thread. A post by NCM

Anaki r2d2 wrote: »
    McBain - Is the opening screen blue in colour from reboot? I think you have the default software and not the open ATV. See page 13 of this thread. A post by NCM

It is. Cheers.

I'll suss out page 13 now. Thanks.

Thanks for the help today lads. I won't lie I hadn't a notion what I was at but I have it up and running now :-)

NewClareMan - a massive thank you. It looks like an absolutely superb setup.

Thanks to THHB, Gerry and others over the past few weeks for helping with my silly questions.

I hope ye don't mind lads, but I'll have more silly questions soon as I feel my way around the setup!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

So what happens if you are recording one channel and it wants to record from different polarity or band? Or what happens if it is recording and the EPG tries to update?

Once the LNB configuration is set to loop through, Open ATV handles it correctly. (i.e. The behavior is similar to disabling the second tuner, in these cases.) There are a number of posts on this topic, either on this thread, or the other Tiviar A+ thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Once the LNB configuration is set to loop through, Open ATV handles it correctly. (i.e. The behavior is similar to disabling the second tuner, in these cases.) There are a number of posts on this topic, either on this thread, or the other Tiviar A+ thread.

Yes but will it realise a timer conflict of you set 2x satellite recordings on different satellite transponders at the same time?

Yes but will it realise a timer conflict of you set 2x satellite recordings on different satellite transponders at the same time?
    That depends on whether the transponder is on the same frequency band and polarity. One of the advantages of using the loop cable is that you are not limited to just one transponder, when using one cable and a legacy LNB. Of course the better option is to swap out the legacy LNB, for a Unicable one.

I have already replied to queries on this topic. -:) If you have any doubts about this, just use the loop cable, with the correct LNB setting, and you can test every possible combination. Those I’ve tested work fine - which is as expected, given the hardware and software support this option.

So what is the config? Tuner A set to loop through to Tuner B?

So what is the config? Tuner A set to loop through to Tuner B?

Yes, sorry, should have said that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I understand fully the way you can use similar bands/polarity at once. I also know that the software usually picks up on timer conflicts. My main reason for not recommending the loop-through is for less experienced users who get bamboozled as to why sometimes a channel is greyed out or they are getting EPG download failures. I am conscious that there many novices here and try to cater for them. Maybe I'm being insulting by trying to over simplify things. That is not my intent.

I'm going to get this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-DVB-T2-Tuner-Enigma2-PC-/182632877162, unless someone has a better suggestion

Did you get this NCM?

Is it just a case of popping it into the back of the box and away you go? So basically after getting this you can now watch one terrestrial while watching another terrestrial, or record 2 different terrestrial channels at once? Do the recordings then go into the same list as the internal hdd recordings or would they go into a separate location?

I understand fully the way you can use similar bands/polarity at once. I also know that the software usually picks up on timer conflicts. My main reason for not recommending the loop-through is for less experienced users who get bamboozled as to why sometimes a channel is greyed out or they are getting EPG download failures. I am conscious that there many novices here and try to cater for them. Maybe I'm being insulting by trying to over simplify things. That is not my intent.

My point is that they’re shouldn’t be any unexpected behavior, at all. The software is designed to operate in loop mode, once the hardware supports it. I have done a set of basic tests and all worked as it should. It is no less user friendly than using one tuner and offers some additional functionality. Having said that, we both agree that a Unicable LNB, or failing that dual cables, is a far better, more user friendly approach.

I know that you were only trying to help people, Gerry, and I’ve been very glad of that assistance, more than once. Sorry if I was a bit tetchy, I had a long day, yesterday. 🙂

I can now record multiple terrestrial channels, using a DTV dongle, plugged in at the rear. I found a driver for an existing dongle, based on the AF9015 chipset.
    This gives me the flexibility I, and more importantly wifey, needs.

467962.jpg

The driver was listed under package management, under advanced settings. After the driver is installed you need to fully reboot the box, rather than just the GUI application. Also, if the box reboots with the usb tuner plugged out, it will not be recognized until a further reboot with it plugged in.

I also found that a standard scan, even with legacy mode selected, did not pick up any channels. I had to select the correct frequency, which I found from the inbuilt tuner settings, manually.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NooElec-NESDR-Mini-Receiver-RTL2832U/dp/B00VZ1AWQA/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1549331060&sr=1-2&keywords=RealTek+RTL2832U

Is it something like this I'm looking at to pop into the back of the tiviar box?

Looking at how to put picons onto this image. Is it possible to just flash them on a usb stick? I can't work out the other way at all at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Looking at how to put picons onto this image. Is it possible to just flash them on a usb stick? I can't work out the other way at all at all!!

What OS are you using? Windows, Mac, Linux?

limktime wrote: »
    What OS are you using? Windows, Mac, Linux?

Windows 10 on the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Windows 10 on the laptop

I'm not sure. I used a Mac.

I haven't been near Windows in a few years but do you see anything under your Network directory in Explorer? Is your box connected to the same network as your laptop?

limktime wrote: »
    I'm not sure. I used a Mac.

I haven't been near Windows in a few years but do you see anything under your Network directory in Explorer? Is your box connected to the same network as your laptop?

I put an ethernet cable connecting the box to the modem last night, the same modem the laptop is connected to. From there I had no idea what to do tbh :-) I never usually play around with the network settings/devices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

@McBain11 you need a piece of software that will allow you to access the file structure in the box.

Now that you have the box connected to your router and a cable to the laptop you can access the box but you must first get the IP address of the box, so go menu, system, network,decvce setup, adapter settings, now see ip address of box, write it down. exit back out. Open your browser type in ip address of box like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 and hit return and voila you are using WEB IF meaning web interface, iits blue and says OPEN etc have a look round but dont mess with anything.

post back if you succeed.

• Advertisement

swoofer wrote: »
    @McBain11 you need a piece of software that will allow you to access the file structure in the box.

Now that you have the box connected to your router and a cable to the laptop you can access the box but you must first get the IP address of the box, so go menu, system, network,decvce setup, adapter settings, now see ip address of box, write it down. exit back out. Open your browser type in ip address of box like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 and hit return and voila you are using WEB IF meaning web interface, iits blue and says OPEN etc have a look round but dont mess with anything.

post back if you succeed.

Brilliant. Thanks Swoofer. I'll give that a rattle in the morning if i get a chance and report back.

I'm learning so much lads :D

btw, is openwebif just an extension of what you are talking about so? something that i can download onto the laptop and control the goings on in the box then?

Brilliant. Thanks Swoofer. I'll give that a rattle in the morning if i get a chance and report back.

I'm learning so much lads :D

btw, is openwebif just an extension of what you are talking about so? something that i can download onto the laptop and control the goings on in the box then?

Open webif is an application that runs on the set top box, when your on the same network you can connect to the box by typing in the IP address. The chap above wants to see that you can connect to it, that's the first hurdle.

But if you going through all this just for the icons, just copy the icons folder to a USB flash drive and stick it in the back of the device. That's what I did and it works. Unless someone advises why this is not wise, that's what I'd do.

Did you get this NCM?

Is it just a case of popping it into the back of the box and away you go? So basically after getting this you can now watch one terrestrial while watching another terrestrial, or record 2 different terrestrial channels at once? Do the recordings then go into the same list as the internal hdd recordings or would they go into a separate location?

Interested in knowing if this device allows two saorview recordings at the same time, or if there is another means of watching rte 1 whilst recording rte 2 as an example

If you just want picons on a usb drive just add them as it is formatted in standard format fat32. The recording drive inside the box needs to be formatted in a Linux format which is why you would need to use a Linux PC or use a network file transfer to add them there.

Interested in knowing if this device allows two saorview recordings at the same time, or if there is another means of watching rte 1 whilst recording rte 2 as an example

Not unless you add another terrestrial tuner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If you only need to watch one channel while recording another, you can use the TVs own tuner to watch while the box records. However as mentioned above by THHB you need a second tuner if you want to record both RTÉs at once.

Just to follow up on yesterdays discussion on single feed setups and whether to loop or not.
    I've tried to setup tuner a to loop through tuner b in the settings but it doesn't seem to work.
    I then tried Tuner A set to "single" and tuner b set to "equal to tuner a" and that seems to work correctly. I'm using the loop cable BTW. Does this seem correct? Anyone else like to share their settings?
    With all my messing about I have caused some error that looks like I have to reflash. The joys!!!

Just to follow up on yesterdays discussion on single feed setups and whether to loop or not.
    I've tried to setup tuner a to loop through tuner b in the settings but it doesn't seem to work.
    I then tried Tuner A set to "single" and tuner b set to "equal to tuner a" and that seems to work correctly. I'm using the loop cable BTW. Does this seem correct? Anyone else like to share their settings?
    With all my messing about I have caused some error that looks like I have to reflash. The joys!!!

Equal to tuner a definitely needs 2 satellite feeds. It's what I use with 2 feeds

Equal to tuner a definitely needs 2 satellite feeds. It's what I use with 2 feeds
    Okay, I've just changed Tuner A to "loop through to Tuner B" and I don't receive any channels, Tuner B should be set to what when Tuner A is set to loop through?

• Advertisement

Okay, I've just changed Tuner A to "loop through to Tuner B" and I don't receive any channels, Tuner B should be set to what when Tuner A is set to loop through?

Single satellite. If it's not working move your cable to the other tuner

Advertisement