Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭NewClareman

So is the signal from the dish distributed over optic fibre rather than coaxial?
    What are the advantages? Can it feed multiple boxes?

For all practical purposes the fibre feed has an unlimited bandwidth, in situations such as these. This means that additional services can be added, as required, without changing the cabling.

Depending on the installation, you could have multiple satellite feeds, Digital Terrestrial, High Speed Broadband and a video security system, just as an example, all on the same cable. With a well designed system, particularly at the headend, it is expandable, at will. There is some useful information here.

Anyway, as Tony suggests, maybe best to start another thread.
    Now that fibre to the home [FTTH) is becoming common, in home fibre distribution will start to become financially viable, for many people. A thread on that topic should be of broad interest... ��

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

I have finally bit the bullet and ordered the Tiviar :)

It comes with something called WOOSHBUILD.I assume this doesn't matter given I'll be flashing with the NewClareman's software ?

I'll give it a go myself although I'm limited with technical stuff to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

Barr wrote: »

It comes with something called WOOSHBUILD.I assume this doesn't matter given I'll be flashing with the NewClareman's software ?

I'll give it a go myself although limited with technical stuff to say the least.

I took delivery of one of these on Friday for my parents who are in their 70s and used to using sky’s service. While mum is still getting used to it she’s flying with it! Fab box and fab build (well done and thanks to newclareman!)
    Excellent web interface on it and lots of iptv options too. Easy to flash the image. Hardest part was getting the external saorview aerial mounted and lined up!

trabpc wrote: »
    Had to re flash box. Had backup but wouldn't restore. Bugger. So after re flashjng I had to disable all set recordings etc.

Q for Clare man .. where is the CBBC channels for kids can't find them anywhere? Will your new image have all timers disabled and movie DB erased. Looking forward to it.

Any chance you could have a bouquet with all Freesat channels in one list as well as your existing bouquets and thanks for your help and images so far.

The reason I haven’t posted yet is that it will take me a couple of hours to remove all timers, erase DB, etc. I will try and get it done this week, but I have very little free time. (Unless I made some cock-up, I had this done with my last image and a children’s bouquet added.)

The new images recreates all the current bouquets, with customosed versions of Sky and Freesat bouquets. A single list of all Freesat and/or Sky FTA channels can be simply added. I will include instructions 🙂

I'll give it a go myself although I'm limited with technical stuff to say the least.

It doesn’t matter, at all.

• Advertisement

Just curious , does the Tiviar take a Sky/Freesat card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

As a mater of interest why would you need a freesat card? What does it open?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Just curious , does the Tiviar take a Sky/Freesat card ?

No. Only a Sky box.

swoofer wrote: »
    As a mater of interest why would you need a freesat card? What does it open?

I have BT sports so need a card to watch it.

I'll have to pull out one of my old sky boxes which is not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭McBain11

Got the box a week or so ago. Haven't done anything as I'm waiting on the internal HD to arrive and fit that. Will be here in a few days time.

Am I right in saying there's little point in doing anything until that arrives?

1. Tiviar Alpha - have
    2. 8gb usb stick - have
    3. Internal HD - arriving few days time

Anything else I need to purchase/do before the HD arrives. What's the story with plug ins? I have never really dealt with or know much about these!

Appreciate any feedback lads :-)

• Advertisement

Mine is arriving early next week... . can't wait to try it

Being delivered via dpd.

Kuul Media have been great to deal with . They installed the firmware and hard drive for me.

In theory it should work right out of the box , well fingers crossed anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Mine is arriving early next week... . can't wait to try it

Being delivered via dpd.

Kuul Media have been great to deal with . They installed the firmware and hard drive for me.

In theory it should work right out of the box , well fingers crossed anyway :pac:

Hi Barr,

Kuul Media deliver with the WOOSHBUILD installed. I suggest you put either the THHB or Newclareman image onto the box and tweak the saorview to your area.

The box is a great piece of kit.

mburke wrote: »
    Hi Barr,

Kuul Media deliver with the WOOSHBUILD installed. I suggest you put either the THHB or Newclareman image onto the box and tweak the saorview to your area.

The box is a great piece of kit.

They installed Newclareman's image for me :) , and the saorview should be ready to go as well.

According to them I just need to connect two sat cables and a saorview cable... job done(hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

They installed Newclareman's image for me :) , and the saorview should be ready to go as well.

According to them I just need to connect two sat cables and a saorview cable... job done(hopefully)

You're confident you're on the same Saorview transmitter as Clareman? :D

You're confident you're on the same Saorview transmitter as Clareman? :D

Afraid I don't know what the transmitter is , he did ask me what saorview was though :pac: (they are based in London so understandable)

Afraid I don't know what the transmitter is , he did ask me what saorview was though :pac: (they are based in London so understandable)

You'll need to configure Saorview to your local transmitter whatever that is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Saorview coverage checker to identify your recommended local mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭morphman

Will this work on the nano 3t??

morphman wrote: »
    Will this work on the nano 3t??

Nope, this backup only works on the Tiviar Alpha

Ahhh … ok , maybe Kuul media didn't do that bit. I'll find out soon enough :pac:

I have a sat installer organised for next week to change the LNB from a Q box and put up a saorview aerial. He ll probably be able to tweak anything needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭morphman

Cheers. Have openvix on the nano but getting a few crashes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

I know I've come across this issue somewhere on this forum but despite my best efforts I cant find it anywhere again.
    The issue is that since today when booting up the Alpha+ it boots fine and starts the initial channel up perfectly however I cannot use the remote for a good 5/10 minutes. In the post that I've seen here somewhere someone explains that the storage location of the epg could be the cause. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Ahhh … ok , maybe Kuul media didn't do that bit. I'll find out soon enough :pac:

I have a sat installer organised for next week to change the LNB from a Q box and put up a saorview aerial. He ll probably be able to tweak anything needed.

They can't do that bit, they have no signal from the transmitter :p

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

robbKer wrote: »
    I know I've come across this issue somewhere on this forum but despite my best efforts I cant find it anywhere again.
    The issue is that since today when booting up the Alpha+ it boots fine and starts the initial channel up perfectly however I cannot use the remote for a good 5/10 minutes. In the post that I've seen here somewhere someone explains that the storage location of the epg could be the cause. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Mine did it too. Thought box was jamming. Remove batteries from remote for few seconds and reinsert. Solved it for me
    .better still I threw out supplied batteries and put in branded ones. No issues since.

As promised, I've updated a final version of my custom build. The main change with this build is that it uses AutoBouquetsMaker to create the channel listings. I've tweaked the various channel entries, to make it as future-proof as possible. I've used a mix of Sky and Freesat Bouquets, as Freesat had far fewer FTA channels.

The only setup now required is to:
    1. enter WiFi Details
    2. enter the correct Saorview Transmitter in ABM
    In theory, all bouquets should automatically update if a channel changes frequency. All bouquets, other than the first (Main TV Channels) and the final one for radio channels; should also update automatically, if channels are added, moved or renamed.
    The Saorview channels are now called "All Channels" as I've found no simple means of changing this with ABM. If new Saorview channels appear, e.g. RTE2+1, they will appear here.
    471272.jpg

471273.jpg

You can add, or remove, bouquets in ABM. The ones selected by default have been modified to include the Irish channels.
    471274.jpg

If/when the Saorview channels change, it should be a simple matter of updating provider files, in ABM. (Assuming that the ABM dev team update the frequencies, before the old ones are turned off. Otherwise an ABM scan, for the new frequencies, is required.)

If any major issues/bugs arise, please post here and Ill do my best to sort it. Otherwise, I don't plan any future releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

Hi

I am just trying to set up this version.

I bought the box from Kuul and set it up with wooshbuild initially.

Nw when I try to use the new clareman backup image from usb it wont install. It just boots straight into wooshbuild everytime. Doesnt seem to recognise anything on the usb.

Where am i going wrong?

Thanks

Sorry think I have it now. Problem unzipping on a Chromebook

cwboy wrote: »
    Sorry think I have it now. Problem unzipping on a Chromebook

Let us know who how you get on. 🙂

All seems fine except it doesn't seem to be picking up the hard drive. Cant pause live tv etc.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

cwboy wrote: »
    All seems fine except it doesn't seem to be picking up the hard drive. Cant pause live tv etc.

Any ideas?

Maybe you need to initialize your hdd. Look at the first post on this thread.

Advertisement