Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

davidm20 wrote: »
    Balls, I just renovated and AFAIK got standard coaxial cable run from the SAT in...

Approx how many transponders are on Astra?

Roughly 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Balls, I just renovated and AFAIK got standard coaxial cable run from the SAT in...

A single standard satellite coax feed will do for all the channels from a Unicable II LNB (up to 32 when last I checked).

Presently my system is showing 133 muxes found on 28.2E Astra satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The number of transponders really doesn’t matter. If you’ve got satellite grade cable run in you’ve multiple options to use this box, with all the channels. These are just some options:

1. Fit a dish with a Unicable LNB.

2. Fit a dish with a Unicable 2 LNB. (Won’t matter a Rat’s rear end to the Tiviar, but allows you to receive many channels, simultaneously, with more expensive boxes.)

3. Fit a dish with a Sky Q LNB, with legacy outputs.

4. Use a Multiswitch to convert from a universal/legacy LNB TO Unicable/Unicable 2

If you don’t have a separate tv aerial cable you have various options to combine the satellite and terrestrial channels on the one cable.

It really boils down to what you are trying to achieve and how much money you want to spend. If you post more details we can help ...

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

. The box supports a second terrestrial tuner , via usb. I’m going to order one of these, over the next week. (I have one, but it’s not compatible.) Some have a standard coax socket at the rear, giving an ok solution.

Ooh.. any chance you'd throw up a link to the one you're getting ?
    Wouldn't have a clue which one to get..
    Thanks

vidapura wrote: »
    Ooh.. any chance you'd throw up a link to the one you're getting ?
    Wouldn't have a clue which one to get..
    Thanks

I'm going to get this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-DVB-T2-Tuner-Enigma2-PC-/182632877162, unless someone has a better suggestion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I'm going to get this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-DVB-T2-Tuner-Enigma2-PC-/182632877162, unless someone has a better suggestion

Let me know how it goes I'm thinking of adding the same

I got some DVB-T dongles for about a third of the price of that ...... maybe it would not suit the receiver.

I did not need T2 for Saorview.

I got some DVB-T dongles for about a third of the price of that ...... maybe it would not suit the receiver.

I did not need T2 for Saorview.

It needs to be a chipset that has drivers available, working and included in OpenAtv or Vix

It needs to be a chipset that has drivers available, working and included in OpenAtv or Vix

The chipset was Realtek RTL2832U which should have the drivers in the Linux kernel.

The chipset was Realtek RTL2832U which should have the drivers in the Linux kernel.

There's no guarantee it will work unless someone has got it working before. Some even work but perform badly

• Advertisement

There's no guarantee it will work unless someone has got it working before. Some even work but perform badly

I see ....... better to be safe than sorry so ;)

I see ....... better to be safe than sorry so ;)

I'll let Clareman be the guinea pig

That chipset is supported in OpenATV, where did you get them and how long did delivery take?

That chipset is supported in OpenATV, where did you get them and how long did delivery take?

I don't recall now, but did get two lots - from different suppliers. I know I posted in some thread a link or two, but most likely they are no longer valid.

Searching on Ebay or Amazon for RTL2832U will show many choices.

My only advice would be to get a device with a full sized socket for the aerial connector ..... some of the devices have a small connector and an adapter cable.
    Of course if the dongle is plugged in directly to a USB socket on the STB, then those with the adapter cable might be a preferred option so the strain of the coax is not applied to the plugged in dongle.

Searching on Ebay or Amazon for RTL2832U will show many choices.

My only advice would be to get a device with a full sized socket for the aerial connector ..... some of the devices have a small connector and an adapter cable.
    Of course if the dongle is plugged in directly to a USB socket on the STB, then those with the adapter cable might be a preferred option so the strain of the coax is not applied to the plugged in dongle.

Yeah, I've found a few on Amazon, I'm going to go with one fulfilled by Amazon.

I was looking foe one with a full sized socket, but, as you say, the adapter cable is actually a better option, in this case. I can just plug in to a rear usb and connect the adapter cable to the coax out on the box.

Yeah, I've found a few on Amazon, I'm going to go with one fulfilled by Amazon.

I was looking foe one with a full sized socket, but, as you say, the adapter cable is actually a better option, in this case. I can just plug in to a rear usb and connect the adapter cable to the coax out on the box.

Just make sure the one you purchase has the wee cable included ..... there are a couple of different specs for those small sockets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

I've cancelled all timers but it's seems to be filling HDD with recorded programmes. Any idea what else I can do to stop recordings. Nothing shows up on timers or auto timers. It's seems like rte 2 is recording constantly.

I've just disabled auto record. Hopefully that will sort it.

What's the difference between auto timers and timers?
    TIA

trabpc wrote: »
    I've cancelled all timers but it's seems to be filling HDD with recorded programmes. Any idea what else I can do to stop recordings. Nothing shows up on timers or auto timers. It's seems like rte 2 is recording constantly.

TIA

It's permanent timeshift. Find timeshift in recording settings it's set to save recordings

TIA

You’re on an early image, which was set to auto record the timeshift buffet. Disabling it will solve the problem.

The real issue was not auto record but that the recordings were stored, but that the recordings were stored in the same directory as other programmes. Had they been stored in a seperarpte directory, as they are in the current image, auto recording would have been fine. As the directory filled, older programmes would have been deleted, without impacting the space available for normal programmes.

Timers are one offs, i.e. record a specific program, or episode. Auto timers are similar to series link, though based on the programmer name, rather than the series link id.

I'm on your current image. I downloaded the latest.

• Advertisement

I'm on your current image. I downloaded the latest.

Thanks for the reply - somehow the latest image inherited an old setting.
    Turning off autorecord, solves the problem, and will meet most needs.

Just for information:

The timeshift starts after 20s to allow rewind of live TV. However, this means that the hard drive is being written to continuously, which is not ideal for laptop grade hard drives. The wear on the drive can be reduced considerably by disabling this function, increasing it’s expected lifetime. This still allows live TV to be paused. An alternative is to use a PVR grade hdd, I’ve given a link earlier in this thread.

(I tried avoiding this issue altogether by using usb storage, a class 10 memory card, for time-shifting. When/if this failed, it would be a simple matter to replace it, with no effect on permanent recordings. This approach gave intermittent on-screen errors, over a month, or so. I couldn’t find the reason and had to switch back. (Wifey doesn’t like error messages - things are expected to just work, like Sky!)

When using the external storage for usb, I automatically recorded the timeshift, so that I could watch paused programs, at another time. These recordings were automatically deleted, when the free space went below 8GB. I was going to replicate this functionality, using a dedicated partition on the hdd for time shifting. However, I understand from other forums that multiple partitions can be problematic.)

Luckily I saw the recommendation about the HDD so I got the recommended PVR drive.

Thanks for that. As you said my recording are mixed-up with other stuff I've downloaded can u share you settings so tv recordings are separate to the other .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HolyMolly

I flashed your image but the missus was too used to THHB's one so will need to restore from backup. I also noticed all the recordings on the HDD have disappeared, she's not happy! Will these be there when I restore the old image?

HolyMolly wrote: »
    I flashed your image but the missus was too used to THHB's one so will need to restore from backup. I also noticed all the recordings on the HDD have disappeared, she's not happy! Will these be there when I restore the old image?

The recordings will be fine

Luckily I saw the recommendation about the HDD so I got the recommended PVR drive.

Thanks for that. As you said my recording are mixed-up with other stuff I've downloaded can u share you settings so tv recordings are separate to the other .

It really depends on what you want to achieve. I use:
    • /media/hdd/timeshift/ as the timeshift and auto-record locations.
    • /media/hdd/movie for films (I set this location manually, at recording time.)
      (From time-to-time I move/archive films to external media, manually.)
    • I let Movie Organisor manage the series folders.
    • For films, I let Movie Browser manage the views and filters. As you can see in my posts on that topic, this gives a great deal of flexibility, and I don’t need a formal folder structure. However, Movie Browser accommodates a folder structure, at least two levels deep.
    • For IPTV I set the recording location to either, RecordedTVProgrammes, Films, Music or Classical, depending or the particular plugin, and associated content.

Thanks for all the Help. My 11yr old pioneer plasma will live on for a bit longer. Had considered moving in my Freesat box from other room and combine this with a new saorview telly. This Tiviar allows me to keep my existing setup. Sky cancelled today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thanks for all the Help. My 11yr old pioneer plasma will live on for a bit longer. Had considered moving in my Freesat box from other room and combine this with a new saorview telly. This Tiviar allows me to keep my existing setup. Sky cancelled today.

Keep that Pioneer plasma for as long as you can ,modern sets still cant compete with them for SD and HD.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Keep that Pioneer plasma for as long as you can ,modern sets still cant compete with them for SD and HD.

Ta I do. Only reason I was thinking of getting rid was it had no saorview tuner. But solved now. Yea fantastic pic on it still. Some sound off it too. Is has one massive set of speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Ta I do. Only reason I was thinking of getting rid was it had no saorview tuner. But solved now. Yea fantastic pic on it still. Some sound off it too. Is has one massive set of speakers

Yes thats another factor to keep it ,the sound on the modern thin sets is crap .
    You need to have depth to get good sound and bass, and modern sets are too thin to achieve that .

• Advertisement

I can now record multiple terrestrial channels, using a DTV dongle, plugged in at the rear. I found a driver for an existing dongle, based on the AF9015 chipset.
    This gives me the flexibility I, and more importantly wifey, needs.

467962.jpg

The driver was listed under package management, under advanced settings. After the driver is installed you need to fully reboot the box, rather than just the GUI application. Also, if the box reboots with the usb tuner plugged out, it will not be recognized until a further reboot with it plugged in.

I also found that a standard scan, even with legacy mode selected, did not pick up any channels. I had to select the correct frequency, which I found from the inbuilt tuner settings, manually.

Advertisement