Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Emtec

Gomzu wrote: »
    Only posted my application form now... it should be okay shouldn’t it?

I rang them yesterday and explained that I would only be posting it today, Friday 25th, or that alternatively I could deliver it by hand on Monday. I was told that either would be fine so long as they have it be "early next week".

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

anyone have a copy of the latest Constitutional paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fe!girl

Hey could anyone tell me if it is worth doing the one day preparatory courses? They are a lot of money so i'm just wondering if they are worth it? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

fe!girl wrote: »
    Hey could anyone tell me if it is worth doing the one day preparatory courses? They are a lot of money so i'm just wondering if they are worth it? TIA

Unfortunately it depends on the lecturer so there is no way of knowing beforehand unless you know someone who has done it. I did a property one and it was great but also did a constitutional one which was an extreme waste of time. You can PM me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

Could anyone list the subjects that came up in the spring sitting for constitutional? Would really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

What are people's views on the rights of the unborn part in Constitutional, now that the 8th amendment has been repealed? Can it be featured as a "historical" type of question or do you think it is now unlikely it will appear therefore on the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marc24

Hi guys, Does anyone know what came up on Equity last sitting? I heard horror stories of random things turning up....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ethan90

Does anyone have any idea when october 2018 examiners report will be out?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

Hi guys, new account here specifically for Fe1s!

I'm in a bit of a tizzy - my criminal manual is from 2016 and I'm afraid of even opening it for fear it's too out of date.

Can anyone just give me a general idea of topics that come up with regularity which have bot been drastically changed by either statute or case law in the last couple years? I know sexual offences got a shake up in 2017..

Mucho Thanks xx

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

marc24 wrote: »
    Hi guys, Does anyone know what came up on Equity last sitting? I heard horror stories of random things turning up....

Not so much random things, simply that it didn't follow the pattern of predicted topics :(

From memory, Mareva injunction essay, cy-pres essay, undue influence problem Q, secret trusts problem Q, estoppel, I think maybe tracing in a problem Q.
    I know something really obscure like removal of trustees came up as one of the notes, also Strong v Bird and duty to exercise discretion (Re Hastings Bass)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Fe1hayes

Ethan90 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when october 2018 examiners report will be out?

Thanks

It’s out☺️

Would anyone have the exam paper for 2017/2018 Eu or contract . I have any other reports or papers from Other topics which I can send .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Last sitting I had all my notes done but got sick and couldn’t sit the exams. I’m doing the same 4 this time and I finish work on Friday and will dedicate myself to studying, I have done essentially no study so far due to working so much, considering I have my notes pretty much done, is this enough time?? I feel like it should be but also freaking out that I should have done loads up to this point...thoughts?

Edit - Doing 4 exams

Last sitting I had all my notes done but got sick and couldn’t sit the exams. I’m doing the same 4 this time and I finish work on Friday and will dedicate myself to studying, I have done essentially no study so far due to working so much, considering I have my notes pretty much done, is this enough time?? I feel like it should be but also freaking out that I should have done loads up to this point...thoughts?

Like there’s no point stressing about it now . I would think you have loads of time . It’ll all start coming back to you when you start and you’ll have more time to focus on exam papers and stuff ! I started end of August last year and did three and did not have any notes done out and found it fine .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Hey,

If anyone has exam grids for equity, criminal and property, could they please send them to me?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Hi, can you send a link with the October 2018 report or let me know where you found it? I just checked the Law Society website and it's still not up. Thank you!

Not so much random things, simply that it didn't follow the pattern of predicted topics :(

From memory, Mareva injunction essay, cy-pres essay, undue influence problem Q, secret trusts problem Q, estoppel, I think maybe tracing in a problem Q.
    I know something really obscure like removal of trustees came up as one of the notes, also Strong v Bird and duty to exercise discretion (Re Hastings Bass)

Thanks a mill. Sounds like the best bet is to just ignore predictions then. Were the questions the same type she usually puts on even if the topics weren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NikitaCanning

Would anyone have any grids for equity criminal or contract? I can swap some notes in exchange :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Thanks a mill. Sounds like the best bet is to just ignore predictions then. Were the questions the same type she usually puts on even if the topics weren't?

Predictions are dangerous but let's be honest, if you're sitting 4 FE1s you can't memorise everything. Maybe instead of looking at predictions, it's better to simply go through past papers (as tedious as it is), and if you can answer 5 reasonably well on every paper then you have done enough. At that stage, learn the topics you've covered inside out.

The other big thing in Equity is to commit fully to the chapters. What I mean by that is, if you do injunctions, avoid the temptation of cutting out AP and Mareva. For Express Trusts, don't cut out the Milroy v Lord / Strong v Bird / DMC stuff. There are some other chapters that have little sub-topics which are regularly examined and you'll kick yourself if you covered everything except that one sub-topic which appears.

I failed Equity twice before finally passing it in October so I have had plenty of time to really think about where I had gone wrong beforehand! You still have a good bit of time so get stuck into past papers and base your revision around that (and examiner reports).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ayudastudent

Does anyone have the updated 2019 grids and willing to share? Looking for Tort and contract plz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

currently doing up my notes on freedom of expression for constitutional. My manual is a year or so old. Now that the referendum passed re blasphemy does that make the case law not applicable anymore? Any advice greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Predictions are dangerous but let's be honest, if you're sitting 4 FE1s you can't memorise everything. Maybe instead of looking at predictions, it's better to simply go through past papers (as tedious as it is), and if you can answer 5 reasonably well on every paper then you have done enough. At that stage, learn the topics you've covered inside out.

The other big thing in Equity is to commit fully to the chapters. What I mean by that is, if you do injunctions, avoid the temptation of cutting out AP and Mareva. For Express Trusts, don't cut out the Milroy v Lord / Strong v Bird / DMC stuff. There are some other chapters that have little sub-topics which are regularly examined and you'll kick yourself if you covered everything except that one sub-topic which appears.

I failed Equity twice before finally passing it in October so I have had plenty of time to really think about where I had gone wrong beforehand! You still have a good bit of time so get stuck into past papers and base your revision around that (and examiner reports).

Dead right on the past paper method. I got through equity with 5 questions I knew very well and 3 I couldn't have attempted. The difference between answering 5 or 3 was going over those bitty ones you mentioned (did a note on huntings bass and Strong v Bird) and mediocre estoppel notes from college. Predictions are dangerous. I was so set for Specific Performance as she asked estoppel the year before and usually alternated them, I had every injunction besides Mareva which she repeated the first time in 17 sittings and such a knowledge on express trusts all of which were touted so much but didn't come up. If you go with the have 5/6 from the last 6 papers you should be alright besides something mad happening and it's a lot safer that corner cutting predictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Emtec

Edit - Doing 4 exams

I passed four in October with, at max, three weeks good study. I had 5 days for tort and I got 50%. Stop worrying about how long you have and just get cracking. Make sure it's quality study though. There's plenty of people pricking around for three months in the build up to these but they'll still fail because of poor quality study. I should know as that's exactly what happened to me on a previous sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I agree with the above, prepare a good timetable and stick to it covering all the major topics. Apportion your time wisely between subjects you find difficult and easy. Be wise and be selective you don’t have time to cover every area of every topic. Past papers are key. Read the q before you study to know what is expected of you.

You all have plenty of time to do well, if I even spent half the time I spent moaning studying I could have probably gotten in the high 70/80s haha 😂

I have past papers if anyone is stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Hi all! First time FE1 student and non law graduate, but have done the diploma with the law society. I started studying in December and as of Friday have all of my notes made. I’m sitting contract, tort, criminal and equity. After Christmas I left my job and now only work 2 days a week to give myself enough time to study. Does anyone think this isn’t enough time or would this be sufficient? Have the 2 weeks before the exams totally off too.

How I look at it, I know have 5.5 weeks just to learn/ study but honestly am feeling quite panicked as the papers look so tough! Would anyone have any advice? I read on a previous board to start with the past papers - how far back to people typicallly go? As in, is there any point looking at 2009/2010 or are you better to look at 2013/2014 on.

Also - and this is probably really silly/ basic question - but by going through past papers, is it a case of reading them and sample answers and figuring out how things get asked?

Also any other general study advice/ tips would be really helpful as feeling very out of my depth!

Thanks so much!

Hi all! First time FE1 student and non law graduate, but have done the diploma with the law society. I started studying in December and as of Friday have all of my notes made. I’m sitting contract, tort, criminal and equity. After Christmas I left my job and now only work 2 days a week to give myself enough time to study. Does anyone think this isn’t enough time or would this be sufficient? Have the 2 weeks before the exams totally off too.

How I look at it, I know have 5.5 weeks just to learn/ study but honestly am feeling quite panicked as the papers look so tough! Would anyone have any advice? I read on a previous board to start with the past papers - how far back to people typicallly go? As in, is there any point looking at 2009/2010 or are you better to look at 2013/2014 on.

Also - and this is probably really silly/ basic question - but by going through past papers, is it a case of reading them and sample answers and figuring out how things get asked?

Also any other general study advice/ tips would be really helpful as feeling very out of my depth!

Thanks so much!

You have oceans of time. I did 4 in Oct after finishing my law degree 6 years ago. I worked full time until the week before the exam and passed all 4. Just be smart with your time.

With past papers I just worked with with I have. Obviously for company everything changed in 2014 so no need to go back further than this. I found sample answers really useful for getting my head around how to answer questions particularly for problems in criminal because you've so many issues to cover in each question.

The best thing i did was a mock exam myself. Just picked a random year and sat down and finished what i could in the right time. Really showed me what I knew from each subject.

Don't stress I am soing 4 more in March which I have to pass because my firm wants me to go to blackhall in Sept and Im not even half way through my notes yet

Thanks so much!
    You have oceans of time. I did 4 in Oct after finishing my law degree 6 years ago. I worked full time until the week before the exam and passed all 4. Just be smart with your time.

With past papers I just worked with with I have. Obviously for company everything changed in 2014 so no need to go back further than this. I found sample answers really useful for getting my head around how to answer questions particularly for problems in criminal because you've so many issues to cover in each question.

The best thing i did was a mock exam myself. Just picked a random year and sat down and finished what i could in the right time. Really showed me what I knew from each subject.

Don't stress I am soing 4 more in March which I have to pass because my firm wants me to go to blackhall in Sept and Im not even half way through my notes yet

All this is correct. It's about being smart with your time and not stretching yourself too thin. What exams are you doing? You could know the book inside and out but you're only allowed answer what they ask, so going through the papers will let you know what they ask and while predictions are a silly dangerous game you do see what comes up a lot and the more you see you're able to answer those the more confident you get.

I've used the last 6 exams as my sample size / sample questions and that didn't fail me last set so I'd say going back to 2014/15 is about enough to avoid stressing too much and going back ages and ages.

With Ryland v Fletcher are the damages the direct consequences of the escape in line with Re Polemis or the reasonably foreseeable results per Wagon Mound? I've seen different things said of it. In my manual it mentioned way back in causation as a chapter that RF is used in negligence but Direct Consequences remains for exceptions like Intentional Trespass and Rylands v Fletcher yet in the section on Rylands it doesn't mention it and in the night before notes on city colleges page it says it's uncertain here? Getting myself muddled so any help appreciated as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 niamhcmon

Hello! I've noticed some people have said that the Exam Report for October 2018 is available but I don't see on option to purchase it on the Law Society website. Can anyone confirm where they've been able to access it please? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

niamhcmon wrote: »
    Hello! I've noticed some people have said that the Exam Report for October 2018 is available but I don't see on option to purchase it on the Law Society website. Can anyone confirm where they've been able to access it please? Thanks :)

I purchased it online but the Law Society posted it to my house!

I thought it was going be a downloadable file...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement