Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

loyatemu wrote: »
    useful tip there for after Brexit.

I'll revert to dock leaves and similar thanks ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Rented a room years back Lady landlord live in. She used her old panties for drying the dishes and cleaning kitchen.

Nothing wrong with that. Using old clothes for rags makes sense. Don't know if I'd go as far as drying the dishes mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that. Using old clothes for rags makes sense. Don't know if I'd go as far as drying the dishes mind.

Oh ffs. There is plenty wrong with that. Buy a ****** tea towel, I don't want to know what knickers you wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Old clothes for rags is one thing. Using under ware to clean dishes is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That reminds me of the time I found myself on the weird side of YouTube watching videos of people who use "family cloth". It's where they cut up old tea towels, sheets, clothes etc and use them as toilet roll. They keep the soiled peaces of cloth in a bucket and wash and re-use them.

That was done in my own childhood too. Nothing wrong with that. Same as "monthly rags" as sanitary towels. We were far less wasteful in those days.

• Advertisement

Old clothes for rags is one thing. Using under ware to clean dishes is disgusting.

Why? they are clean. Maybe as clean as teatowels.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Graces7 wrote: »
    That was done in my own childhood too. Nothing wrong with that. Same as "monthly rags" as sanitary towels. We were far less wasteful in those days.

Plenty wrong with it otherwise it would still be done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Plenty wrong with it otherwise it would still be done

The only reason people changed to disposable sanitary wear was convenience and neatness.

My step dad uses my old tshirts and pjs for paint rags. He'd kill me if I threw them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Why? they are clean. Maybe as clean as teatowels.

I'd have to agree with Graces7 on this. I personally wouldn't do it, as think it would be odd, but just because it's a bit unconventional for 2019 doesn't make it disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: I think we may move along from undergarments and dish washing now, you mad shower of lunatics:D
    Thanks in advance,
    Buford T. Justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My very well off neighbours who have good pensions, 4 or 5 houses from which they get weekly rent from go to bed early (shortly after 7pm) during winter so that they don't have to put a fire on or use oil for the heating or have lights on. They are the most miserable bastards I have ever come across. I could tell countless stories or their tightness but it might identify them if their sons/daughters were reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ah please cee-jay-cee.....

I want some more.

Guy in work use to gather used coffee cups, take used tea bags out of the bin and scab milk and sugar......

He also worked every hour he possibly could so was coming out with a nice sum.

Stingy backstards.

My very well off neighbours who have good pensions, 4 or 5 houses from which they get weekly rent from go to bed early (shortly after 7pm) during winter so that they don't have to put a fire on or use oil for the heating or have lights on. They are the most miserable bastards I have ever come across. I could tell countless stories or their tightness but it might identify them if their sons/daughters were reading this.
    I don't understand people who simply horde their money instead of enjoying it. Having savings for a rainy day is responsible but what's the point in living a miserable existence only to die with a massive bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I don't understand people who simply horde their money instead of enjoying it. Having savings for a rainy day is responsible but what's the point in living a miserable existence only to die with a massive bank account?

No point being the richest man/woman in the graveyard!

Mod note: I think we may move along from undergarments and dish washing now, you mad shower of lunatics:D
    Thanks in advance,
    Buford T. Justice

agree totally but may I please just say that life 60 years ago was very very different? None of this was a matter of choice; it was all there was unless you were very very rich. No tissue; using newspaper cut into squares with a string threaded through.. Odd thing is that we never got all the tummy bugs etc that seem to fly around these days. We all had a huge pan for boiling cloths etc. No disposable nappies etc. Cleanliness was paramount. No washing machines or fridges either.

A different world.

Makes us smile reading some of the survival thread folk talking about laying in supplies of toilet paper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Without discussing specific products- in ye olde days- resources were a lot more limited than they are today. While we made do- it was because we had no alternate. People today have an entirely different life- and different expectations than do people from yesteryear (myself included in this category). Just because you *can* do something- or it was the norm to do something, once upon a time- does not mean it is normal in the context of modern living. Modern living has a financial cost associated with it. Its a cost that quite simple we could not afford, such a short time ago. Now, however, the only people who deliberately go to remarkable and ridiculous lengths to avoid the financial cost of modern day living- are by and large- stingy people- who value money more than, well, more than pretty much anything else. The old Irish expression about there being no pockets in a shroud come to mind- its true- life is short, and life is for living. Some people are satisfied to live in misery- most others, are not. Once upon a time there wasn't a stark contrast between the haves and the have nots- we all had to make do with the little we have. Those days, by and large, are in the past- which is why we have this thread about stingy people at all. Some people celebrate their stinginess as some sort of a badge of honour- without having any cognisance, or care, of how their perspective on life impinges on the goodwill of others and their ability to enjoy life in the manner in which they are accustomed- be that with decent food, alcohol, tobacco, sanitary product, reasonable footwear, a safe and reliable car- or whatever. Celebrating stinginess- is an anachronism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Ah please cee-jay-cee.....

I want some more.

Guy in work use to gather used coffee cups, take used tea bags out of the bin and scab milk and sugar......

He also worked every hour he possibly could so was coming out with a nice sum.

Stingy backstards.

There's one hungry fcuk at work who has a few properties. He has a spread sheet that logs all of his expenditure. Any time I walk by his desk he's looking at the sheet. What the fcuk does he expect to change?

Without discussing specific products- in ye olde days- resources were a lot more limited than they are today. While we made do- it was because we had no alternate. People today have an entirely different life- and different expectations than do people from yesteryear (myself included in this category). Just because you *can* do something- or it was the norm to do something, once upon a time- does not mean it is normal in the context of modern living. Modern living has a financial cost associated with it. Its a cost that quite simple we could not afford, such a short time ago. Now, however, the only people who deliberately go to remarkable and ridiculous lengths to avoid the financial cost of modern day living- are by and large- stingy people- who value money more than, well, more than pretty much anything else. The old Irish expression about there being no pockets in a shroud come to mind- its true- life is short, and life is for living. Some people are satisfied to live in misery- most others, are not. Once upon a time there wasn't a stark contrast between the haves and the have nots- we all had to make do with the little we have. Those days, by and large, are in the past- which is why we have this thread about stingy people at all. Some people celebrate their stinginess as some sort of a badge of honour- without having any cognisance, or care, of how their perspective on life impinges on the goodwill of others and their ability to enjoy life in the manner in which they are accustomed- be that with decent food, alcohol, tobacco, sanitary product, reasonable footwear, a safe and reliable car- or whatever. Celebrating stinginess- is an anachronism.

Maybe define stingy? Thank you

Maybe define stingy? Thank you

An unusual reluctance to spend money that one does in fact have, in order both to make life easier- but also to subscribe to societal norms. I.e. Just because you can spend money- you don't have to- but if your lack of expenditure is at odds with those around you- you stand out like a sore thumb, and are likely to be viewed as some sort of a mean spirited freeloader.

30-40 years ago- none of us had tuppence- but we made do- we did what we had to do to get where we needed to go in life. We were, by and large, in the same boat, and finding novel uses for the things we did have- was normal, rather than a mean spirited gesture to irrationally save money.

Stinginess- is a lack of ability to allocate resources in a manner commensurate with one's means- alongside an irrational *need* to accumulate money rather than expend it in our daily routine- and at odds to those around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

An unusual reluctance to spend money that one does in fact have, in order both to make life easier- but also to subscribe to societal norms. I.e. Just because you can spend money- you don't have to- but if your lack of expenditure is at odds with those around you- you stand out like a sore thumb, and are likely to be viewed as some sort of a mean spirited freeloader.

30-40 years ago- none of us had tuppence- but we made do- we did what we had to do to get where we needed to go in life. We were, by and large, in the same boat, and finding novel uses for the things we did have- was normal, rather than a mean spirited gesture to irrationally save money.

Stinginess- is a lack of ability to allocate resources in a manner commensurate with one's means- alongside an irrational *need* to accumulate money rather than expend it in our daily routine- and at odds to those around us.

Wait a sec...societal norms? Who gets to define them exactly? I don't drink. If you think it's ok to call me stingy, or a mean spirited free loader, just because I no longer subscribe to the round system in pubs (an Irish societal norm, no?) then you are respectfully invited to sod off. Same with paying for 1/2 of your wine if we are having a meal out.

I am far from being a stinge. Nor am I one of those annoying people who get the calculator out when the bill comes, to calculate how much I owe down to the penny, but fair is fair now.

(But yeah....old knickers as tea towels? Gross ! )

• Advertisement

Lots of people don't drink- its far from unusual. Drinking is not a societal norm. Perhaps it may be among some groups- but its far from unusual in today's day and age. I do drink- but am as likely to order a coffee- as an alcoholic drink. It doesn't make me a stinge either- far from it. I don't need to go out drinking- or if I do- a drink = a drink- not ten drinks- yet, I'm not a stinge. Also- it depends on the dynamic in a group how a bill is split- I don't think there is any consensus as to what is 'normal'- it depends. Honestly- you're deliberately nit picking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

there's stinge and then there's getting the most out of stuff that you buy - which I was reared to do. there is a difference. growing up in the 80s and 90s taught you that.

and a reluctance to spend money on stuff you don't really need - would that be stinge?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Wait a sec...societal norms? Who gets to define them exactly? I don't drink. If you think it's ok to call me stingy, or a mean spirited free loader, just because I no longer subscribe to the round system in pubs (an Irish societal norm, no?) then you are respectfully invited to sod off. Same with paying for 1/2 of your wine if we are having a meal out.

I am far from being a stinge. Nor am I one of those annoying people who get the calculator out when the bill comes, to calculate how much I owe down to the penny, but fair is fair now.

(But yeah....old knickers as tea towels? Gross ! )

Not going into rounds = not stingy.

Going into rounds and leaving before it’s your turn = stingy.

You appear to be getting your knickers in a twist. That will make them hard to dry clothes in a few years.

Choosing not to buy things you can afford I’d frugal. Getting others to buy it for you so you save money is stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

sullivlo wrote: »
    Not going into rounds = not stingy.
    Going into rounds and leaving before it’s your turn = stingy.
    You appear to be getting your knickers in a twist. That will make them hard to dry clothes in a few years.
    Choosing not to buy things you can afford I’d frugal. Getting others to buy it for you so you save money is stingy.

Exactly. Stingy is abusing the rounds systems to get free drinks.
    Or, if someone isn't drinking and will be dropping someone home out of their way, the onus is on the drinker to buy soft drinks for the designated driver.
    Stingy is, knowing there's a lot of non drinkers at the table, lobbing cocktails on the dinner bill and expecting everyone to split the tab.

Frugal is patching up a good jacket that has a hole in it, or keeping a reliable old car on the road through regular maintenance.
    Stingy is going around in winter with a battered old jacket that's too cold, lets in the rain - even though you could easily afford a new one.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Jesus can we take the philosophy elsewhere!!!

More stinge stories here!!!!

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    there's stinge and then there's getting the most out of stuff that you buy - which I was reared to do. there is a difference. growing up in the 80s and 90s taught you that.

and a reluctance to spend money on stuff you don't really need - would that be stinge?
    If you were like the well off couple in the story who went to bed at 7 in the winter to save on heat and electricity, I'd consider that stingy.

Adults using child tickets on buses and trains.....

That's pure stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

If you were like the well off couple in the story who went to bed at 7 in the winter to save on heat and electricity, I'd consider that stingy.

What a sad way to live- missing out on so much of their lives purely down to not wanting to spend a few quid on heating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Adults using child tickets on buses and trains.....

That's pure stingy.

For me, that crosses the line into fraud and theft.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement

People who take ketchup, vinegar sachets from restaurants and have a fridge full at home.....

Advertisement