Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

200motels wrote: »
    The BBC very bullish about snow.

In fairness to the Beeb they have been consistent all day with their output. Saw the forecast after the 1pm news and it was pretty much all snow for Thursday.
    No matter what happens over the next few days its been classic model and forecast watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm staying in a BnB near Ballintober Abby(Mayo) atm and its currently bucketing Heavy Wet snow/Sleet. The breakfast room has a lovely view of the SW Mayo Mtns so should be a lovely site 2morrow;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Croagh Patrick forecasted to get 24cm of snow all day Thursday.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Croagh-Patrick/forecasts/764

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

An interesting commute potentially for some later in the morning on the GFS-P

15-574PUK.GIF?28-18

Here's the sounding for right in the middle of that heaviest blob of precip over Meath. Snowline around 250-300 metres amsl according to this.

sondagegfs_97_27_15_0_1548718578.png

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Was almost sure that was a Graces7 post till I seen the Username :)

Lol seriously we're not sock puppets lol

Probably a similar way of looking at what's around us....

Graces7 has a more romantic tone to her post's....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That's not a sounding from the parallel run.

Nite all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS Op has some snow for the morning too, looks like rain to begin with and turning to snow on the back edge.

18-574UK.GIF?28-18

Icon is showing rain for the morning.
    Icon is also showing Thursday mostly dry for much of the country with rain/sleet/snow grazing the south of the country.

Hopefully it's wrong and most of the country see's some action this Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,146 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

11pm TAF's

Shannon Airport
    *TEMPO 2905/2908 4000 -SHRAGS BKN012
    *TEMPO 2908/2924 4000 -SHRASNGS BKN010 SCT018CB
    *PROB30 TEMPO 2909/2924 2500 SHRASNGS BKN007

*Temporary light showers of rain and hail mixed between 5am and 8am
    *Temporary light showers of sleet and hail mixed between 8am and midnight
    *PROB30 Temporary moderate showers of sleet and hail mixed between 9am and midnight

Cork Airport
    *TEMPO 2909/2924 4000 -SHRASNGS BKN007 SCT018CB
    *PROB40 TEMPO 2910/2924 2500 -SHSN BKN004

*Temporary light showers of sleet and hail mixed between 9am and midnight
    *PROB40 Temporary light showers of snow between 10am and midnight.

Knock Airport
    *PROB30 TEMPO 2904/2906 2500 -SHSN BKN007 *TEMPO 2906/2924 3000 -SHSNGS BKN007 BKN014CB *PROB40 TEMPO 2906/2915 1500 SHSN BKN003 *PROB40 TEMPO 2921/2924 1500 SHSN BKN003

*PROB30 Temporary light showers of snow between 4am and 6am
    *Temporary light showers of snow and hail mixed between 6am and midnight
    *PROB40 Temporary moderate showers of snow between 6am and 3pm
    *PROB40 Temporary moderate showers of snow between 9am and midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Currently 3c according to the car and raining. Plenty of water lying on the roads. Curragh, Co. Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Bit of a swing away from Thursday snow on the gfs this morning. Milder uppers and shorter period of ppn. Rain for the South means better snow chances further north

• Advertisement

Though parallel much better with much more snow nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I would like the GFS to be right, but based on previous experience they usually have these things too far north, when the tendency is for them to go south.

I could be wrong,though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'm very surprised how laid back Met Eireann are about tomorrow and Wednesday. Maybe because the East is least at risk...
    Widespread snow showers tomorrow for the South and West with even a risk of a polar low and trough early Wed morning.
    As for Thursday I think for Cork the wind being onshore or not will be important. Likely be a mix of rain and snow before the low pivots and swings the wind offshore...then snow!!

Forgive my old memory but was it not you who used to get a snow warning headache? I have had a bizarre rare form of migraine this week....

Agree with you re them being laid back; been a rare old night out here. Battered we are... West Mayo offshore iceberg

Snow showers should be in to the northwest by the morning.

I don't expect much now in Leinster and Munster first thing in the morning except maybe some sleet or wet snow as that cold front clears in to the Irish sea. It's then a question of how active and widespread the snow showers will be for the afternoon and tomorrow night.

The west and north should do well tomorrow.

Waiting for daylight to see what came down in the long noisy night. Nothing outside the door but maybe on the mountains.. west mayo; the frozen west

Could be a surprise tomorrow morning for a few - seems to be a trend to increase intensity of that cold front and more chance of some snowfall

agree totally west mayo offshore with some very snowlike sounds on the windows in the darkl an no; changed to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭pad199207

Moderate Rain 3c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Small shower of wet snow near kilteel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

2C and raining in Naas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Some rain fell in last hour in Limerick, roads flooded. 4c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Should have some snow reports soon? Sligo, leitrim general area looks like it should be getting snow now? Just icey rain in Galway at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Knock report sleet at 0600.

A lot of the senior guys on net weather seem to think southern Ireland will get hammered going by ecm and ukmo. Remember who warned ye about a possible red!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Knock report sleet at 0600.

If it’s not snowing there not much chance further south!!

A lot of the senior guys on net weather seem to think southern Ireland will get hammered going by ecm and ukmo. Remember who warned ye about a possible red!!

Oh yes how could we forget. :P

IF there is a red called I will bow to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Iam beside knock airport...nothing here only alot off surface water...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

There was a lot of talk about the N NW seeing snow... what's the story for the n, nw?

There are many things I will do in my zeal for weather boards but sticking my head out of the door just now to see what is falling in NOT one of them! It would get blown clear off. Have no view unless I go to the big gate so patience| Plenty and varied precipitation :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Is this the same crowd whose mood is up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down over the course of a few GFS frames? This is all followed by a thunderous thump as not only the toys are thrown out of the pram, the pram itself is actually forcefully thrown off the 15th floor? LOL, yes I'd go along with their thoughts for sure.........

RED snow alert it is............

D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

eastmayo wrote: »
    ....nothing here only alot off surface water...

Melted snow....

Melted snow falling here in Dublin 16. ;)

• Advertisement

Wet Snow falling in the East Kildare Foothills

Advertisement