Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Éireann, John Eagleton: threat of serious snow on Wednesday night and Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

WELL!

Done my inspection and not venturing out ever again!

Mountains are naked. Wind is so strong all but blown away...

The ocean! OH MY! an utter rough rippling stormy raging glory.

Bitter cold... icy air.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Glasfield

And we're off! Snow shower has just ended here in Knock village, Co Mayo. All cars and gardens have a good dusting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

The eagle must have said something good on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Pissing out here d17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I’m not sure on what the Eagle said especially after what he said about the BFTE and Emma last year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Low dam levels (sub 516), Uppers ~ -6C on UKMO 0z for Thursday -

U72-21UK.GIF?29-06

Hmmm... can't see precipitation charts but that's an interesting scenario for the midlands/south/east of the country - Anywhere with elevation would likely receive a serious dumping, I'm not sure on lower down just yet. It's academic still at this range when all the models disagree on position and track of the low but certainly needs monitoring. If you want any model on board at day 3, it's the UKMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Graces7 wrote: »
    WELL!

Done my inspection and not venturing out ever again!

Mountains are naked. Wind is so strong all but blown away...

The ocean! OH MY! an utter rough rippling stormy raging glory.

Bitter cold... icy air.

Oh Grace I wish you had a camera to give us some pictures to go along with your fantastic discriptions

Beginning to change over to wet snow here pretty rapidly now. But mainly due to intensity

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

You’d think alright he would have learned to be more guarded in his predictions!! Every year the same....BOOM on a GFS chart.

A stopped clock and all that...he maybe proved right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Oh Grace I wish you had a camera to give us some pictures to go along with your fantastic discriptions

so do I but .... Need a simple point and click one! Mine died last year.. had some on the phone but never managed to get them onto the computer. I have the tech skills of a retarded mouse!

Graces7 wrote: »
    so do I but .... Need a simple point and click one! Mine died last year.. had some on the phone but never managed to get them onto the computer. I have the tech skills of a retarded mouse!

We can’t all be good at everything :). Tech may not be your thing but creative writing certainly is if your posts are of any reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Lashing here in D22...not even a sniff of sleet, just bucketing rain.... Had a seriously disappointed (and grumpy) teenager this morning after been woke for school

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

Snowing now the last few minutes in blessington.

guil wrote: »
    Snowing now the last few minutes in blessings on.

Yes. Sleet and wet snow in Naas

1.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

pad199207 wrote: »
    Beginning to change over to wet snow here pretty rapidly now. But mainly due to intensity

Same here on the curragh back to cold rain now.
    Temperature also dropped during the heavyest rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yes. Sleet and wet snow in Naas

1.6c

Every time you have posted I was baffled wondering where here was haha. Now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Rain and sleet few flakes of snow

Newcastle Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Same in Cork City. The temperature seems to have dropped to 4ºC with light and intermittent cold rain. No sleet though. Lightly overcast and definitely brightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Bit of hail falling in Sligo town. Bruised clouds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some sleet in the rain here now in Dublin 16. 2.7c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The snow depth charts on the ECM for Thursday are as big if not bigger than Storm Emma down South. I can see why the Eagle was getting excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

The snow depth charts on the ECM for Thursday are as big if not bigger than Storm Emma down South. I can see why the Eagle was getting excited.

Does the windy app work off ECM because the cm's are insane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Moderate snow here and sticking, 5 miles south of Tuam.

I gave up on those charts after 10 December 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is Cork included in this? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

A westerly wind however rarely brings and decent snow and the temperatures are never usually low enough for lying snow away from hills and mountains.

The East wind is the one we need.

Having said that places in the South well away from coasts and at higher altitude could do well here. The strong easterly breeze is not good news for the east or south east of the country though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

Sleet in south Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

aisling86 wrote: »
    Does the windy app work off ECM because the cm's are insane!!

Saw that too! Anyway will wait until tomorrow before I get too excited. These Atlantic fronts working out are like hens teeth but good to see the professionals treating it seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

The hills to my west here in Tipp are snow covered at the top, snow line aprox 300m asl

Advertisement