Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Had sleet showers most of the night until wet snow started about an hour ago, ground was too wet for it to stick but now the ground is whitening. I hope that there is not too much as I have to go out later otherwise I'd enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is some wild wind a-blowing just now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Castor Bay (south shore of Lough Neagh) have sent up a 06Z sounding this morning so it's good to compare it to the model data. Again we have the models overdoing the cold at 850 hPa. Actual value -4.5 °C at 1281 m geopotential height, but the GFSP (00Z Monday run) went for -7 °C, while the latest GFS had the temperature about right but the height too low at around 1270 m.

The ARPEGE and ICON also have the temperature right but they too went too low on the height. So all models are erring on the snowier side than the actual data are saying.

Actual sounding data, 06Z.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/sondage_display.php?id=3918&map=2&date=1548738905&map2=2

GFS parallel (00Z MONDAY run, only run available on meteociel app)
    471515.jpg

ARPEGE 00Z Tuesday run
    471516.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Knock just crossing the marginal side now as a light snow shower falls. Temp 0.8, dewpoint 0.5, wbt ~0.6-0.7.

At 6 am it was sleeting at temp 1.0, dewpoint 0.7, wbt ~0.8-0.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Lashing cold rain in north cork. met eireann seek to think later today for any now showers so we’ll wait and see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sleet in Dublin city. Not the nicest to be walking in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The colder uppers just starting to hit the west coast now. Expect snow reports to come in slowly but surely. Showery trough ahead of this is primarily rain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rain is borderline heavy now in Kildare. Horrible morning

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

A lot of the senior guys on net weather seem to think southern Ireland will get hammered going by ecm and ukmo. Remember who warned ye about a possible red!!

Actually JS, to be fair to you, I've just read NW UK posts and even the learned Mr Murr is speculating about Red warnings and 30cms of snow for southeast Ireland. Might I have have to eat a wee bit of humble pie in the coming days?

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The colder uppers just starting to hit the west coast now. Expect snow reports to come in slowly but surely. Showery trough ahead of this is primarily rain

I last checked valentia before bed last night. Was 8c in the 10pm reports as far as I remember. Checked the 6am report this morning 5c. 7am report dropped another degree to 4c. Not sure if we'll see snow this far south but lovely to have the cold anyway

• Advertisement

Met Eireann will be updating their warning at 10am so will be interesting what they say about Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SeaFields wrote: »
    I last checked valentia before bed last night. Was 8c in the 10pm reports as far as I remember. Checked the 6am report this morning - 5c. 7am report dropped another degree to 4c. Not sure if we'll see snow this far south but lovely to have the cold anyway

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Wrap up any of your semi tropical plants with fleece if ye can, especially echiums they will need to be protected.

Take in your geraniums from the porch.

If Valentina is gone down to -5 that's cold for somewhere the gulf stream cut's by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Damp drizzly day in Galway (west). Not looking like snow, and not feeling cold enough either.

Muckka wrote: »
    Wrap up any of your semi tropical plants with fleece if ye can, especially echiums they will need to be protected.

Take in your geraniums from the porch.

If Valentina is gone down to -5 that's cold for somewhere the gulf stream cut's by.

It was 5 degrees not -5. A typo!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

derekon wrote: »
    Actually JS, to be fair to you, I've just read NW UK posts and even the learned Mr Murr is speculating about Red warnings and 30cms of snow for southeast Ireland. Might I have have to eat a wee bit of humble pie in the coming days?

D

He may be learned but he is the most notorious ramper in the game.

Knock just crossing the marginal side now as a light snow shower falls. Temp 0.8, dewpoint 0.5, wbt ~0.6-0.7.

At 6 am it was sleeting at temp 1.0, dewpoint 0.7, wbt ~0.8-0.9.

Any view on what might happen on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

It was 5 degrees not -5. A typo!

Correct Sir. Oops :D

Sleet mixed in with the rain here now as it’s moderate to heavy

He may be learned but he is the most notorious ramper in the game.

You’d think alright he would have learned to be more guarded in his predictions!! Every year the same....BOOM on a GFS chart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Satellite has some lovely showers following this band precip. Www.en.sat24.com

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

On Thursday morning cloud will increase from the southwest with a are of precipitation moving northeastwards across Ireland. There is a lot of uncertainty on this yet regarding its track as some models has it missing north Connacht and Ulster all together and other taken the system much further northwards into these areas. as the precipitation moves northeastwards it will turn significantly to snow with some significant accumulations possible. This could give good accumulations to parts of Leinster, Munster and parts of Connacht and to north Connacht and Ulster if it track close enough to the north.

North Leitrim

Rain and it’s not that cold either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Rain and cold in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavily Sleeting now in cork city, can see it in the lights and on the cars. Don't think I'd be walking to school!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Snow here in Leitrim. Not sticking to the roads, a dusting everywhere else.

Can start to make out the wet flakes now here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Light snow here outside Newport, Mayo. Nothing sticking as ground is too wet, still nice to see.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The Eagle....

'Threat of some serious snow Wednesday night and Thursday.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Threat of some serious snow on Thursday from the Eagle just now on radio 1...........

DOCARCH beat me to it!!!

Advertisement