Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

BBC news 24 forecast latest take for Thursday
    An occlusion with little wind ,looking like allowing snow to the coastal east
    Will change but interesting none the less

e86178009197cf37b8729d14f97f7bf1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just looking at latest GFS update and up the west and myself in North Cork look good to see some accumulations, rain turning to sleet/snow from tomorrow morning about 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just looking at latest GFS update and up the west and myself in North Cork look good to see some accumulations, rain turning to sleet/snow from tomorrow morning about 9am.

You have a bit of elevation too so should do alright.

Yeah we are at about 180m ASL (Approx 600ft), will be interesting to see how high lying places across north Cork get on - Donnaghmore, Kanturk, Bweeng, Rockchapel etc.

Duplicate post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭White Clover

Yeah we are at about 180m ASL (Approx 600ft), will be interesting to see how high lying places across north Cork get on - Donnaghmore, Kanturk, Bweeng, Rockchapel etc.

Here's hoping for zero precipitation!!

Yeah these places especially Bweeng always do well. I am not too hopeful of any accumulating snow but always nice to see the showers anyway!!

Mortelaro wrote: »
    BBC news 24 forecast latest take for Thursday
    An occlusion with little wind ,looking like allowing snow to the coastal east
    Will change but interesting none the less

GFS predicted DPs & precipitation area for Thursday afternoon. Interesting if it turns out to be correct.

75-101UK_iwn8.GIF
    75-779UK_uzu3.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

GFS 12z has upgraded a bit in relation to 6z in terms of whether Thursday will see more snow than rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

It's bucketing down snow in the Faroe Islands right now, I hope some of that comes our way.

• Advertisement

GFS predicted DPs & precipitation area for Thursday afternoon. Interesting if it turns out to be correct.

Seems to tie in with British met office forecast I saw earlier. Looks good for the midlands and east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Ah Jaysus I have butterflies now!

I love those pink charts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Aerodrome snow warning for Knock (200 m amsl), valid from 4 am. Forecasting 1-3 cm accumulation. TAF says light to moderate snow showers starting from around 5 am.

EIKN AD WRNG 02 VALID 290400/291200 SNOW FBL 1 TO 3CM FCST =

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vxlkss

I'm afraid Dublin could be left out on this one because of the onshore winds, all of it being rain. Am i correct in this statement or is there any sustained cold airmass that helps us get snow instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Vxlkss wrote: »
    I'm afraid Dublin could be left out on this one because of the onshore winds, all of it being rain. Am i correct in this statement or is there any sustained cold airmass that helps us get snow instead?

Dublin is unlikely to get snow, perhaps falling snow but unlikely to stick, especially in the metropolitan area and closer to the coast, it's even less likely to see snow falling. That's based on current guidance and could change.

The above is in relation to Thursday/Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Was a lovely cold bright sunny day in Dublin 24, has just turned grey with rain the last 20 minutes or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Sleet mixed in with a current shower here at the moment .......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If you want to see what the raw ECM (all 4 daily runs), GFS & Icon are showing for your location, inc snow chance, you can do no worse than keep an eye on these high-res meteograms.

https://meteologix.com/ie/forecast/2962361-mullingar/essentials/rapid-euro

Just type in your own nearest town in the box.

Guide:

Rapid ECMWF/Global Euro HD: 00z/06/12z/18z hi res runs out to 3 days.
    Global Euro HD: 00z/12z runs out to 5 days.
    Europe HD: Icon Global run, updated 4 times daily.
    Global US Standard: Raw GFS output updated 4 times daily.

The graphs all have a 'hover' feature, so you can get more details for each individual point.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Small sleet shower in Dublin 4.

More than likely won't see snow here tomorrow or on Thursday but did extra work just in case. I will be trying to look busy tomorrow.

Getting in from Naas tomorrow may be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like a rain and sleet/snow mix for much of Dublin, Meath and Kildare on Thursday.

I'd say this is fairly accurate. The winds in off a relatively mild Irish Sea likely to keep eastern coastal counties on the wrong side of marginal.

78-574UK.GIF?28-12

However they are going more for snow on Friday morning.

90-574UK.GIF?28-12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some areas in the morning likely to see a bit of the white gold falling. Thursday increasingly looking like snow won’t be much of a problem.

Ofcourse still a little room for change, just think way too much dilution of the air going on. Dublin and east coast looking very poor.

ECMWF showing North Cork, Limerick and Kerry getting considerable snow event on Thursday - will be interesting to see if this turn's out to be rain/sleet instead of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

ECMWF showing North Cork, Limerick and Kerry getting considerable snow event on Thursday - will be interesting to see if this turn's out to be rain/sleet instead of snow.

That would be last night's run, 12z is only rolling out now. Things no doubt will still chop and change between now and Wednesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Hopefully it moves slightly southwards so we can get in on the action in cork city, unlikely though.

Needless it looks almost certain now that large parts of the country will see some white gold during the week, accumulations unknown though along with if it will reach/stick on lower levels. But it's a start, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

highdef wrote: »
    Dublin is unlikely to get snow, perhaps falling snow but unlikely to stick, especially in the metropolitan area and closer to the coast, it's even less likely to see snow falling. That's based on current guidance and could change.

The above is in relation to Thursday/Friday

Hopefully you are correct with that. Last thing the city needs is snow. Still feels very cold here today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I don't want snow..... there I said it :)

Wife has to drive the kids to school and I've to drive from Dublin, home to the south west Thursday night.

Please flying spaghetti monster...let it rain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

For Cork
    Rain clearing early tomorrow turning to sleet wet snow for a time. Showers soon packing in with several cms lying by tomorrow night (mainly for hills) Further snow early Wed with treacherous roads before things dry up in afternoon. Roads could be extremely dangerous Wed night.
    More on Thursday later but for now am confident of a red alert for midland parts of the country at least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I still do not see red level catagory, and am still going for Orange as the max level. Most of the 'very heavy' snow if it comes would be high levels thursday with about 1-3cm possibly on lower levels, but again thats just my still learning opinion on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Snow depth chart for Friday morning show the Wicklow mountains will certainly get a good dumping, as will the mountains in Kerry and the Slieve Blooms. Looks only a dusting from Galway to Dublin and northwards, with the exception of high ground.

Advertisement