Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭randombar

Thinking of getting the zappi and maybe Eddi. Is there any alternatives? Would prefer something more web based and open source.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,049 ✭✭✭✭unkel

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Is there any alternatives? Would prefer something more web based and open source.

OpenEVSE - n97 mini assembled and installed one himself. He has a few threads about it. Should be right up your sleeve.

unkel wrote: »
    OpenEVSE - n97 mini assembled and installed one himself. He has a few threads about it. Should be right up your sleeve.

:D Would definitely love to give that a go. Time is the only issue there unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

I'm looking at importing a 2014 outlander, am I egible for a grant for a home charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭denismc

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I'm looking at importing a 2014 outlander, am I egible for a grant for a home charger?

From the SEAI
    "You can avail of the grant if you have bought a new or second hand electric car that was bought in Ireland or privately imported from 2018 onwards."
    so yes you can apply, just make sure you get approval in writing first, takes lees than a week if you apply online.

• Advertisement

I've a charge point up for sale on adverts if anyone is interested:

https://www.adverts.ie/other/7kw-car-chargepoint/17127647

Came with the car.

Need to get the zappi myself as I have PV panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

GaryCocs wrote: »
    I've a charge point up for sale on adverts if anyone is interested:

https://www.adverts.ie/other/7kw-car-chargepoint/17127647

Came with the car.

Need to get the zappi myself as I have PV panels.

I wonder is it possible to buy a second hand charger and use the grant ?..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What's gone wrong with these Chargepoints, I bought a Podpoint 7kW (non WiFi) brand new for £150 last year, they seem to have doubled + in price this last year or so, honestly, these subsidies just get wasted when the manufacturer's just hike prices like this once they see grants in place

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I wonder is it possible to buy a second hand charger and use the grant ?..

Yes.

As the grant pays out on the electricians cert of install. No proof of purchase for the charger is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

kceire wrote: »
    Yes.

As the grant pays out on the electricians cert of install. No proof of purchase for the charger is required.

But I would assume they will only pay out upto €600 based on receipts provided. I presume they wont just give you a cheque for €600 if the spark puts his paperwork in at €200 and you have no receipt for a s/h charger?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

KCross wrote: »
    But I would assume they will only pay out upto €600 based on receipts provided. I presume they wont just give you a cheque for €600 if the spark puts his paperwork in at €200 and you have no receipt for a s/h charger?

If it's paperwork they're after (to "tick" the boxes) then just write out a 2nd hand "invoice" with an illegible signature and an amount that works for you

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    If it's paperwork they're after (to "tick" the boxes) then just write out a 2nd hand "invoice" with an illegible signature and an amount that works for you

I could supply a receipt if needed anyways. Not sure if that makes a difference to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

slave1 wrote: »
    What's gone wrong with these Chargepoints, I bought a Podpoint 7kW (non WiFi) brand new for £150 last year, they seem to have doubled + in price this last year or so, honestly, these subsidies just get wasted when the manufacturer's just hike prices like this once they see grants in place

So, all, is there any alternative this year to the Zappi? I would like to the put PV on the roof, but won't have cash for several years. I also have an electric shower, in use at 7-8am, so like the fact that Zappi means no need for a priority switch according to what others have said.

Best means of lowering to grant amount or 800 EUR without expertise? I won't be running any cables myself, realistically. The existing meter is in usual easy spot to side of front door in hall with space for charger on other external side, single phase unit from 2006 installed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apologies if this has been asked before but does the electrician doing the install have to be registered with SEAI or could I just get my regular electrician to do it? (I can't seem to find a list of electricians on the SEAI site anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before but does the electrician doing the install have to be registered with SEAI or could I just get my regular electrician to do it? (I can't seem to find a list of electricians on the SEAI site anyway).
    They have to be SAFE Electric registered.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

TheChizler wrote: »
    They have to be SAFE Electric registered.

Perfect thanks, looks like my regular fella is already on the list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

How long did it take for you guys to get the grant money from the SEAI?

I sent in forms before xmas and still waiting. Emailed and they said they are waiting on approval from Safe Electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Couple people on FB saying 4 - 6 weeks (4 at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine was about 7 weeks from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

Tesla just announced a car charger unit that can be plugged into your domestic sockets US -sockets

seems to be some issues around it drawing 50amps, but only passing on 40amps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

daheff wrote: »
    Tesla just announced a car charger unit that can be plugged into your domestic sockets US -sockets

seems to be some issues around it drawing 50amps, but only passing on 40amps.

That’s probably just the laws of physics. There will be some losses in the transformer. Note that 50amps in the US is around the same wattage as a charger here drawing 25amps as the voltage is 110V (power = voltage * current).

Oh wow. Tesla just announced a new granny cable :p

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Killed

Does anyone have experience of going with Electric Ireland. I see they're advertising a home charge point installed for €149 nett of the grant.

Killed wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience of going with Electric Ireland. I see they're advertising a home charge point installed for €149 nett of the grant.

Yeah, it's the reliable German made ABL unit they install. Beware that they install it configured as a 3.6kW charger. If you can get them to use 6mm2 cable and a 40A RCBO for that money, it's a reasonable proposition (from a big, well established company)

You can then hook it up to your laptop and program it to be a 7.2kW charger. Pretty straight forward (I did it myself)

Or just buy a second hand 7.2kW charger and have your local sparks hook it up. Should be done within the €600 mark, so completely free to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

stimpson wrote: »
    That’s probably just the laws of physics. There will be some losses in the transformer. Note that 50amps in the US is around the same wattage as a charger here drawing 25amps as the voltage is 110V (power = voltage * current).
    I doubt there's a 10 kW transformer in there. Any of these home chargers are just glorified switches! Either there's a problem where the current isn't being reported correctly or these are going to start melting... Or someone's just misinterpreting something.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I doubt there's a 10 kW transformer in there. Any of these home chargers are just glorified switches! Either there's a problem where the current isn't being reported correctly or these are going to start melting... Or someone's just misinterpreting something.

You’re probably right. It probably just draws 40A from a 50A socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Killed wrote: »

You could probably ask them what price they charge with regard to need for a priority switch, and how much extra for simple work of increasing to 6m and 40A RCBO since the charger does both: 3,7 kW · 16 A · single phase / 7,2 kW · 32 A · single phase.

https://www.abl.de/en/products/emobility/wallbox-emh1.php

Perhaps they will throw it all in to win over a new bill-paying customer or not ask a whole lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Killed

You could probably ask them what price they charge with regard to need for a priority switch, and how much extra for simple work of increasing to 6m and 40A RCBO since the charger does both: 3,7 kW · 16 A · single phase / 7,2 kW · 32 A · single phase.

https://www.abl.de/en/products/emobility/wallbox-emh1.php

Perhaps they will throw it all in to win over a new bill-paying customer or not ask a whole lot more.

Was onto them, says it's €149.00 all in after grant. They're going to rolling out a new more powerful charger in April so may be worth waiting till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

Sorry if this has been posted / answered elsewhere. Going for a PHEV and looking to get the electric ireland install for €149 (after grant), the guy on the phone today confused me... I asked if they can wire from the external wall recessed meter box or do they have to come into the house to the fuse board. He said both but they don't drill through walls...... cough cough, he wasn't an engineer. My preference is that its wired from the meter box as we just had external insulation put on and I don't fancy them drilling through to get the fuse board. Meter & box is 2 years old so new...can that be done?

• Advertisement

runner2011 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been posted / answered elsewhere. Going for a PHEV and looking to get the electric ireland install for €149 (after grant), the guy on the phone today confused me... I asked if they can wire from the external wall recessed meter box or do they have to come into the house to the fuse board. He said both but they don't drill through walls...... cough cough, he wasn't an engineer. My preference is that its wired from the meter box as we just had external insulation put on and I don't fancy them drilling through to get the fuse board. Meter & box is 2 years old so new...can that be done?

It has to be done from the fuse board as it needs to have a circuit breaker. It may be possible to route it back through your meter box and fit it that way, but the lad on the phone won’t know. You’ll need to talk to the engineer when he comes out.

Advertisement