Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

Thanks, I'll try and get in contact with the guys who do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

stimpson wrote: »
    It has to be done from the fuse board as it needs to have a circuit breaker. It may be possible to route it back through your meter box and fit it that way, but the lad on the phone won’t know. You’ll need to talk to the engineer when he comes out.
    Mine was not connected to my fuse box at all, it goes meter box, separate fuse beside meter, through a wall, underground, and out to my carpark spot.

Covered by the grant too (have the money already received months ago)

stimpson wrote: »
    That’s probably just the laws of physics. There will be some losses in the transformer. Note that 50amps in the US is around the same wattage as a charger here drawing 25amps as the voltage is 110V (power = voltage * current).
    Nema 14/50 connections ("dryer plug") in the US has 220V, they combine two 110v rings and therefore I suggest that it is actually the same as here. 50a*220v for ~11kW, 10kW after charging losses.

ELM327... Can I ask who did your install from the meter box? that would be ideal for me. thx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

runner2011 wrote: »
    My preference is that its wired from the meter box as we just had external insulation put on and I don't fancy them drilling through to get the fuse board. Meter & box is 2 years old so new...can that be done?

My understanding is that the rules state you cant put anything into the meter box itself but you can setup a second smaller fuse board next to the meter box which is what you are referring to, so it can be done.

The spark would need to assess your house load and ensure that when the car is charging on that new fuse board that you dont overload your main fuse in the meter box as that will cost you money to get ESB Networks out to replace it. You cant replace the ESB's fuse yourself.

Your spark might insist on a priority switch if you have electric showers etc. If he does get a charge point that has load balancing capability like the Zappi or Garo charge points which would then mean no priority switch is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Would a supply with a 40 amp mcb be suitable.

ELM327... Can I ask who did your install from the meter box? that would be ideal for me. thx
    Nigel Daly was the company that did it, it wasn't Nigel himself that did the install though.
    I got the reccomendation here and on the facebook groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mach Two wrote: »
    Would a supply with a 40 amp mcb be suitable.

Most cars are either 16A or 32A capable so yes a 40A supply will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Anyone a recommendation for a home charging unit for a Outlander?

The faster it can charge the better I suppose, I've been approved for the 600 euro grant, so looking to get this installed soon but no idea which unit to go with.

I don't, and will probably never have solar panels installed.

Have you looked at the Electric Ireland deal? 16A for €149 (after rebate from SEAI) .. I'm looking at that myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Have you looked at the Electric Ireland deal? 16A for €149 (after rebate from SEAI) .. I'm looking at that myself.

Do you not have to be an electric Ireland customer to avail of this offer?

I was looking at the Rolec type 2, 32 amp charger, untethered and an extra cable type 2 to type 1 and leave that constantly plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Rochey18 wrote: »

Do you not have to be an electric Ireland customer to avail of this offer?

I was looking at the Rolec type 2, 32 amp charger, untethered and an extra cable type 2 to type 1 and leave that constantly plugged in.

What is meant by untethered.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mach Two wrote: »
    What is meant by untethered.

Untethered means it doesn't have an attached cable and plug, so is basically just a socket. (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

So did anyone get a 32A charger (ABL, I think) with Electric Ireland and how much above the grant for that one in particular? I was quoted well in excess of 1.2k from a local firm (without grant deducted) and that seems madness.

I will need a priority switch, too, but I know the Zappi could eliminate that. No PVs, but maybe will consider them in 3-5 years - a long time yet the charger may be defunct if things have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

In case anyone is interested & hasn't seen this already..

Here's a brief insight into what the Zappi App Phone Screen Layouts (myenergi Hub App) might look like. This is all subject to change (the graphics / layouts / information presented in the images) as I believe it is not the final release to manufacturing version etc..

I've pre-ordered the Hub so looking forward to getting this & the App maybe in the next 4 to 8 weeks approx. (Not sure of exact timeline).

One more image..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Slightly related question, do any of the communication protocols allow the EVSE to tell the car to start preheat? Just thinking it might in future be possible for the Zappi to trigger preheat in the connectionless Kona.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Slightly related question, do any of the communication protocols allow the EVSE to tell the car to start preheat? Just thinking it might in future be possible for the Zappi to trigger preheat in the connectionless Kona.

Sorry don't know the answer to that.

Only way I know to preheat my Kona is to set it in the on-board Infotainment / EV Unit in the car - when the car is plugged in etc..

Nigel from the EV Puzzle YouTube Channel did a few videos related specifically to preheating (power usage & how long it takes preheating versus getting into the car & manually heating it). Think the summary was it was far far quicker to just do it when you were in the car & it took less power from the battery too (versus preheat). But yes - preheat via an App would be cool - like in the BlueLink App.

It'll be handy for me to start/stop charging via the Zappi App, be able to check charge status from inside the house etc.. Just a convenience - obviously not essential to have - I like my apps & gadgets!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

bonoman66 wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested & hasn't seen this already..

Here's a brief insight into what the Zappi App Phone Screen Layouts (myenergi Hub App) might look like. This is all subject to change (the graphics / layouts / information presented in the images) as I believe it is not the final release to manufacturing version etc..

I've pre-ordered the Hub so looking forward to getting this & the App maybe in the next 4 to 8 weeks approx. (Not sure of exact timeline).

How did you pre-order the hub?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    How did you pre-order the hub?

1. Just sent an email to sales@myenergi.uk outlining I was an existing Zappi Owner in the Republic of Ireland & interested in their soon to be released Hub & App.

2. Got an email reply with info related to Hub/App, Availability & Pricing. £89 Sterling was the price of the Hub including shipping to my UK Parcel Motel Address.

3. Sent second email to them. Indicated I wanted to place order after reading through the first reply email I received. Requested delivery to my UK Parcel Motel Address (so I don't have to be home when its delivered).

4. They sent me an email with Proforma Invoice, which detailed the cost & their UK Bank Details (for Electronic Payment).

Minimum requirement is to pay 30% up front deposit but I just paid it all in one go. (I trust them based on the feedback they get from anyone dealing with them).

5. Paid online via Bank Transfer into their Bank Account. (my bank charged me €15 (on top of the £89) for facilitating me transferring the money directly using Sterling into their UK Bank Account.

6. Sent last email to them out of courtesy to let them know I paid in full.

7. Received acknowledgement email back thanking me.

It was quick & easy. Just have to play the waiting game now for between 4 to 8 weeks approx.

It will be listed on their official site in the coming weeks but I wanted to directly contact them & get in a pre-order to get it as quickly as I could, as I imagine interest/demand may potentially be high for this. (Hub & App).

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

bonoman66 wrote: »
    1. Just sent an email to sales@myenergi.uk outlining I was an existing Zappi Owner in the Republic of Ireland & interested in their soon to be released Hub & App.

2. Got an email reply with info related to Hub/App, Availability & Pricing. £89 Sterling was the price of the Hub including shipping to my UK Parcel Motel Address.

3. Sent second email to them. Indicated I wanted to place order after reading through the first reply email I received. Requested delivery to my UK Parcel Motel Address (so I don't have to be home when its delivered).

4. They sent me an email with Proforma Invoice, which detailed the cost & their UK Bank Details (for Electronic Payment).

Minimum requirement is to pay 30% up front deposit but I just paid it all in one go. (I trust them based on the feedback they get from anyone dealing with them).

5. Paid online via Bank Transfer into their Bank Account. (my bank charged me €15 (on top of the £89) for facilitating me transferring the money directly using Sterling into their UK Bank Account.

6. Sent last email to them out of courtesy to let them know I paid in full.

7. Received acknowledgement email back thanking me.

It was quick & easy. Just have to play the waiting game now for between 4 to 8 weeks approx.

It will be listed on their official site in the coming weeks but I wanted to directly contact them & get in a pre-order to get it as quickly as I could, as I imagine interest/demand may potentially be high for this. (Hub & App).

Hope this helps.

Ordered there. Thinking about it now I reckon I should probably try and wire a ct from my inverter to the zappi? I have the harvi for measuring excess/consumption but out of that I can't tell what is actual consumption vs generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

It might be worth using Revolut to do the bank transfer - might avoid that €15 fee an Irish bank will add.

Will find out soon :)

Nedved85 wrote: »
    It might be worth using Revolut to do the bank transfer - might avoid that €15 fee an Irish bank will add.

Will find out soon :)

Yeah - I just paid for mine via Bank Transfer using Revolut (Sterling) with no fee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

i'm struggling to see the use of the Hub. You would (probably) set your car to charge on a timer overnight? Why do you need the hub to turn on/off the zappi?

The rest of the hub (from what I can see) just tells you about what energy is being generated by PV panels?

Or am I missing something?

It seems to give stats on your houses usage too a bit like a smart meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,876 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Be great if someone could summarise the unique selling points of the Myenergi products. I think I'm in the market for some of them, but not quite sure what the added benefits are for me.

Eventually got a pic of our installation, quite proud of how tidy it looks if I'm honest! Had to dig up the path behind the flower bed so a bit of work, but satisfing result. Location wasn't ideal but the only place we could put it without creating a cable trip hazard.

Don't worry, the Zappi backlight turns off after a few seconds.

33z7ofq.jpg

The hub for me should tell me what my house is using at all times, irregardless of whether I am charging my car or now.

I would like to have this information at hand as I want to know how much my always on appliances are using.

EG: How much energy is the heat pump using when it is on, av receiver/tvs on standby etc.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Eventually got a pic of our installation, quite proud of how tidy it looks if I'm honest! Had to dig up the path behind the flower bed so a bit of work, but satisfing result. Location wasn't ideal but the only place we could put it without creating a cable trip hazard.

Don't worry, the Zappi backlight turns off after a few seconds.

33z7ofq.jpg

Look great,

Would you be able to post a few close ups of how you mounted it to the pole?

I might do something similar myself. I have a boundary wall that is very low so a steel post might do the job :)

• Advertisement

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Look great,

Would you be able to post a few close ups of how you mounted it to the pole?

I might do something similar myself. I have a boundary wall that is very low so a steel post might do the job :)
    Cheers, will do next chance I get. Bolt mounted through three 7mm holes punched through the steel plate. Got it fabricated at Andec Stainless in Cork.

Advertisement