Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How much total cost, runner2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

runner2011 wrote: »
    Just an update , Had mine installed today a 32A , Zappi , 5M Tethered. Ciaran from Voltswagon Did mine , lovely guy, he did a very neat job and It was a bit of a longer cable run than he quoted for but he kept to the same price. He appreciates people recommending him hence the direct mention.

Hey, this is the guy who fitted mine too. I should’ve posted an update last week. Did a very tidy job, and really knew his stuff, passionate about it really. Also was super familiar with the Zappi, gave me a full demo after it was installed too. All in price for my tethered 5m type 1 Zappi was €1050, although mine was a very standard fitting I think. All his contact info is on Voltswagon.ie for anyone who needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

deadduck wrote: »
    Hey, this is the guy who fitted mine too. I should’ve posted an update last week. Did a very tidy job, and really knew his stuff, passionate about it really. Also was super familiar with the Zappi, gave me a full demo after it was installed too. All in price for my tethered 5m type 1 Zappi was €1050, and mine was a very standard fitting I think. All his contact info is on Voltswagon.ie for anyone who needs it

Over a grand, holy ****! The zappi is what 500? so 500 for cabling, testing and fitting?
    Prices have gone through the roof since they brought that grant in!

Gone are the days of an Olev funded charger for less than 100 on eBay and fitting for 200 off a local reci.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

stesaurus wrote: »
    Over a grand, holy ****! The zappi is what 500? so 500 for cabling, testing and fitting?
    Prices have gone through the roof since they brought that grant in!

Gone are the days of an Olev funded charger for less than 100 on eBay and fitting for 200 off a local reci.

Well the Zappi is about €600, and i’m guessing the cabling and breaker are the guts of €100? So for fitting, testing and paperwork it’s about €350 for himself. I might be off on some of the prices, but that seems reasonable to me for a electrician doing the job to the high standard he does.

Over a grand, holy ****!

The biggest installer in the country charges 1100 for a base Zappi install :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

unkel wrote: »
    The biggest installer in the country charges 1100 for a base Zappi install :)

Very true but I'd say the grant is inflating all of those prices. Same with the chargers, they cost ridiculous money really for what's inside
    Prices will have to come down as governments move away from subsidies

Same with the chargers, they cost ridiculous money really for what's inside

Indeed. I wouldn't mind a Zappi but the new untethered ones will be at least EUR700 just to buy the product, which is crazy - it has less than EUR100 worth of components inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Indeed. I wouldn't mind a Zappi but the new untethered ones will be at least EUR700 just to buy the product, which is crazy - it has less than EUR100 worth of components inside.

Untethered should be cheaper. The cable and plug are quite expensive.

I know, but in the world of Myenergi, they take away the cable and plug, put a fancy "v 2.0" badge on and up the price by GBP100 :rolleyes:

Is the Open EVSE kit you built ready for connecting to solar PV or do you have to start with a more fancy kit? It's only tethered too, I believe and I don't want to butcher up my lovely expensive 15m type 2 cable...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Silly money, if you are in any way DIY handy do what I did and run the cable yourself, do the drilling through walls yourself so all the leccy has to do is literally hook it up both ends of the readied cable.
    All the above would have taken a few hours so quite a saving versus leccy rates for essentially non-skilled labour

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

slave1 wrote: »
    Silly money, if you are in any way DIY handy do what I did and run the cable yourself, do the drilling through walls yourself so all the leccy has to do is literally hook it up both ends of the readied cable.
    All the above would have taken a few hours so quite a saving versus leccy rates for essentially non-skilled labour

yeah, but if i f*k it up the missus blames me....if an installer does it (or in a way she doesnt lik)she blames him. Cant put a price on the missus being annoyed with somebody else vs me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

How much total cost, runner2011?

Mine was €1100 & was a long run . I had higher quotes for a shorter run.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AlmostCared

Is it correct in saying that you can upgrade the chargers that Electric Ireland are currently fitting? Think the model is: ABL eMH1.

Online they rate it as 7kW but Electric Ireland are saying it's 3.6kW.

I'll be using the charger for my Mini PHEV so think the charge time difference is circa 1 hour.

Does anyone have a link on how you can upgrade this charger?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

Is it correct in saying that you can upgrade the chargers that Electric Ireland are currently fitting? Think the model is: ABL eMH1.

Online they rate it as 7kW but Electric Ireland are saying it's 3.6kW.

I'll be using the charger for my Mini PHEV so think the charge time difference is circa 1 hour.

Does anyone have a link on how you can upgrade this charger?

Thanks!

Thread on it here.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057962773

Ryath wrote: »

Great - thanks.

I think the Mini PHEV has a max charge rate of 3.7kW so a 3.6kW charger would make the most sense. Realistically I'll be keeping the car for 3 - 4 years. No point in spending circa €500 now when Electric Ireland will install what I need for €149.

Bit of a newbie when it comes to this whole PHEV situation!

Great - thanks.

I think the Mini PHEV has a max charge rate of 3.7kW so a 3.6kW charger would make the most sense. Realistically I'll be keeping the car for 3 - 4 years. No point in spending circa €500 now when Electric Ireland will install what I need for €149.

Bit of a newbie when it comes to this whole PHEV situation!

With respect, that's not a wise decision. The MINI might only charge at 3.6kW but all current and all future EVs can charge at 7.2kW minimum. A 3.6kW charger will be obsolete very soon, it won't be fit for purpose for charging a 60kWh EV

You should be able to buy a new 7.2kW charger and have it installed by an electrician for less than EUR749 in total, so nett EUR149 to you

If you plan to go solar PV at some stage in the future, it is worth it spending a few hundred more now to get a charger installed that can use your excess PV production to charge your car

With respect, that's not a wise decision. The MINI might only charge at 3.6kW but all current and all future EVs can charge at 7.2kW minimum. A 3.6kW charger will be obsolete very soon, it won't be fit for purpose for charging a 60kWh EV

You should be able to buy a new 7.2kW charger and have it installed by an electrician for less than EUR749 in total, so nett EUR149 to you

If you plan to go solar PV at some stage in the future, it is worth it spending a few hundred more now to get a charger installed that can use your excess PV production to charge your car

Thanks for the advice.

I was quoted €980 (excl. VAT) for the Zappi from Nigel M Daly. Do you think that is worth the extra money upfront for future-proofing?

I'm based in Cork and can't find anyone more reasonable than that at the moment.

Nash Brothers (recommend by garage) quoted me €1300 (incl. VAT) but it's not the Zappi charger that he is installing. Just a standard 7.2kW one.

Electric Ireland also quoted me €1100 (incl. VAT) for a Circontrol eHome 7.4kw Type 2 charging point. Think the Zappi is a better option than this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Thanks for the advice.

I was quoted €980 (excl. VAT) for the Zappi from Nigel M Daly. Do you think that is worth the extra money upfront for future-proofing?

I'm based in Cork and can't find anyone more reasonable than that at the moment.

Nash Brothers (recommend by garage) quoted me €1300 (incl. VAT) but it's not the Zappi charger that he is installing. Just a standard 7.2kW one.

Electric Ireland also quoted me €1100 (incl. VAT) for a Circontrol eHome 7.4kw Type 2 charging point. Think the Zappi is a better option than this one though.

Source the Zappi for ~600 from electricautos.ie and get a quote from a spark to install. There is no rocket science involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Really is disgusting the way the whole place is charging super stupid rip off money for these installs, these charge points are glorified external plugs, only real difference is they go back to the main fuse board

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I was quoted €980 (excl. VAT) for the Zappi from Nigel M Daly.

Nigel Daly charges a lot of money. But he has done more EV charger installs than all other companies put together, he is reliable, operates nationwide and does a very professional and tidy job. For some people that is worth the extra few hundred over what you could get the job done for

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Any decent electrician should be able to tick all those boxes too though to be fair.

Trouble is finding a decent one if you don't have a regular guy you trust I suppose and at least you know what you're going to get with the likes of ND.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭denismc

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I found it impossible to find any electrician to even give me a quote.
    I know its anecdotal but there does seem to be a shortage of qualified trades people in the country at the moment, taking up an apprenticeship doesn't seem to appeal to people as much as it used to.

So you have the likes of N.Daly taking advantage of a gap in the market.

Nigel Daly charges a lot of money. But he has done more EV charger installs than all other companies put together, he is reliable, operates nationwide and does a very professional and tidy job. For some people that is worth the extra few hundred over what you could get the job done for

I contacted Nigel Daly and the initial repose was quick, I provided all the details of the install requirements in the initial email. I got a request from them in a boilerplate email which I filled out and they requested photo's which I provided. No response, chased a second time and no response. They just wasted my time so I would not recommend going near them based on my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I contacted Nigel Daly and the initial repose was quick, I provided all the details of the install requirements in the initial email. I got a request from them in a boilerplate email which I filled out and they requested photo's which I provided. No response, chased a second time and no response. They just wasted my time so I would not recommend going near them based on my experience.

Same. Boilerplate robotic response but didn't answer any questions in the original email.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I've been waiting for an installation date from Nigel Daly "early in the new year" since December.

Doesn't look like it's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Exact same experience. They finally called me after about 3 weeks of ignoring me . https://voltswagon.ie sorted me out within 24hrs of contact and did a great job. I've no links to them but your man was dead sound and even the kids had the craic when he was here. That 24hr response may have been because they happen to be available in the area, but still, nothing worse than being ignored.

Exact same experience. They finally called me after about 3 weeks of ignoring me . https://voltswagon.ie sorted me out within 24hrs of contact and did a great job. I've no links to them but your man was dead sound and even the kids had the craic when he was here. That 24hr response may have been because they happen to be available in the area, but still, nothing worse than being ignored.

I can't stand that, nothing worse than absolute rudeness. They could at least have the curtesy to respond and say they are swamped or something. Glad to hear you also had a good experience with voltswagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

I had a Zappi installed during the week from Darkin Electrical http://www.darkinelectrical.ie/car-charging/

They called out to do a survey of the house to agree the installation and then committed to a 10 day turnaround once I confirmed which they met.

Very tidy installation. Would highly recommend.

Edit: I've no links to the company. I was made aware of them from the dealer I bought the car from

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭ltd440

what were they like on price ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭handpref

If it’s any help I’ve been using Rolec’s the past 5 years now and never had an issue. All parts are readily available and easily replaced. I’ve installed 4, two at home, one in my bro’s and one in my folks. They seem to sell new on eBay for £345 with warranty, I picked up two second hand for £200 on eBay.
    As soon as the grant came out it appeared that you couldn’t get a charger in Ireland for less than €600.

The zappi did interest me as I have 5kws of solar panels but I could count the days on my fingers where I would be exporting enough to charge the car. For those rare days I use the granny cable. The extra €200-€400 the zappi would cost would never be recouped and if it broke I’d struggle to repair it. Also if it failed, because of the ct clamp set up I’d be stuck with buying another very expensive charger that I’d never recoup from solar export to an Ev.

The last one installed was under the grant scheme, my dad bought a niro phev, grand car with solid 55km of range, cable run was tricky with inside walls to be chased - filled- sanded and skirtings removed but we did all that ourselves, got a friend of mine with a cert to terminate at the board, test and sign things off. On paper that worked out as €400 for the charger, €50 materials and €100 to the electrician. Nice to be within the €600 grant total.

I’ve heard the voltswagon lad is very good and a nice lad, but that’s only anecdotal, I used to check in on one of the fb owners pages where certain established businesses were quick to try and discredit anyone bar Nigel Daly. Nigel does do tidy work and it’s a free market for anyone who is suitably qualified.

There are electricians all over Ireland fitting electric showers everyday, rated at higher outputs than car chargers and in locations that are inherently dangerous for the customer if wired incorrectly so fitting a charger for a conscientious and skilled craftsman shouldn’t be an issue. Chances are they will come in cheaper than a bigger operation that’s got more overheads.

Advertisement