Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Kermit is Sitebaned until the 23rd ,

We will leave the discussion there on that please .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Kermit Kermit are you here?

You’d think the chap can make it snow the way yous keep talking about him.
    Yes he know his stuff but he can’t change the weather.
    Like said above. Leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Just to clarify,2329pm tonight the 21st,his ban is lifted,I understand, not the 23rd,so Brace yourselves,6 hours to go :D

I'll of course shut up on that now

I notice the 12z GFS has a slider hitting France,an amplified jet sinking south,a mid east Atlantic high linking to Iceland and a v cold northeasterly for feb 4th
    Basically what they had for this week but late next week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible evening out there, dirty cold rain and lots of surface water.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Sorry I was told today by various posters

• Advertisement

You’d think the chap can make it snow the way yous keep talking about him.
    Yes he know his stuff but he can’t change the weather.
    Like said above. Leave it there.

He can’t make it snow . But he can provide detailed , explained posts just like other good posters here. With all the posts together this makes for a great forum . But at the moment we are missing the chemistry .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Gonzo wrote: »
    Austria is generally seen as part of central Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Europe

Its a weird one alright because of shape, the Austrian Alpine region is between Germany and Italy

but a good chunk of Austria is located between Czech Republic and Slovenia

Vienna is further east than Prague for example

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very heavy Hail/Graupel here in Kildare and very squally

Some sleet falling now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I thought that I’d be the laughing stock of the office today. I predicted fierce cold and snow for today, or early this week, about two weeks ago.

Luckily I was saved by the Met eireann yellow warning and some newspaper rampings. I’m still the weather genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Getting cold here in Quinn now, hopefully the abbey with get a dusting before the morning.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The UK met office update now going for the wintry weather I.e. snow and severe cold to hit in Mid February. Initially this was early January, then mid January, pushed back again to early February and now as I said. Bound to get it right eventually.

Just shows how accurate long term forecasts are in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I thought that I’d be the laughing stock of the office today. I predicted fierce cold and snow for today, or early this week, about two weeks ago.

Luckily I was saved by the Met eireann yellow warning and some newspaper rampings. I’m still the weather genius.

I am the weather genius on my office as well. After reading the posts earlier today I have written off the rest of the Winter. I told them what we are getting today is the best we could hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

The UK met office update now going for the wintry weather I.e. snow and severe cold to hit in Mid February. Initially this was early January, then mid January, pushed back again to early February and now as I said. Bound to get it right eventually.

Just shows how accurate long term forecasts are in this part of the world.

Even a broken clock gets the time right twice a day...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Jesus they're not wrong, today certainly is Blue Monday going by the morale on this thread! Chins up, February will deliver.

Jesus they're not wrong, today certainly is Blue Monday going by the morale on this thread! Chins up, February will deliver.

Deliver what though?!! Unusual for you to be ramping!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭pad199207

Well well well, wouldn’t be like ya GL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

For me, your best post ever!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    Very heavy Hail/Graupel here in Kildare and very squally...

What you had has just arrived in Dublin 16. Heavy (soft) hail and squally. 5.7c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

A lot windier in D6 then I expected- no hail at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gaoth :o you've made my day! You sure your the same gaoth and not hacked?

• Advertisement

What has he done exactly . I’m so shocked to be honest. I can’t see nothing but relentless north westerly ****e for the foreseeable . No signs of a blocked pattern. Anytime we come close it gets pushed back out to deep FI . SSW fail. NAO and AO In positive territory . I just don’t know

But sure there are no specifics!! I want some reasoning/details!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    What has he done exactly . I’m so shocked to be honest. I can’t see nothing but relentless north westerly ****e for the foreseeable . No signs of a blocked pattern. Anytime we come close it gets pushed back out to deep FI . SSW fail. NAO and AO In positive territory . I just don’t know

He usually is the bearer of bad news so to see him post about feb delivering.. even with no evidence its a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Biggest ramp in the history of boards

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sdanseo wrote: »
    Biggest ramp in the history of boards

He's obviously dropped something (....like acid or LSD!). :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

have looked at all the latest charts and nothing really of interest. It's possible that the first few days of February could deliver something but that's so far away in the unreliable timeframe, it's not really worth focusing on. Perhaps next weekend we may see the first hints towards our next potential cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Am still sticking with my predictions of zonal winds and we could well be locked into that theme until March with Potential of battle ground situations in February . Artic ice surface being 4th lowest since 1979 we will tend to keep high pressure around the north atlantic, which will absorb the energy instead of reflecting the cold.Most likely scenarios LP diving south east from Iceland with a temporary Easterly if it goes further south of Ireland. It could be cold and mild in the same week. That's my opinion if am proven wrong fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Deliver what though?!! Unusual for you to be ramping!

Based on nothing more than a hunch. I reckon we'll see a sort of rebound effect from the current American amplifying pattern. Some retrogression down the road and the warm/cold areas will phase-shift positions. Probably the first week in February, then zonal after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Based on nothing more than a hunch. I reckon we'll see a sort of rebound effect from the current American amplifying pattern. Some retrogression down the road and the warm/cold areas will phase-shift positions. Probably the first week in February, then zonal after that.

Screenshot-20190121-201418-Google.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Instead of cold and snow, at this point should we be more realistically expecting an Atlantic storm or two or three before winter is out? We have not had any stormy weather since mid December so surely we are overdue.

Advertisement