Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

YanSno wrote: »
    Best window for cold coming from the East / North East would be Around the jan 31st till 5th Feb. Given the fact that the jet stream will look quite vulnerable around that time also If LP tracks further south there could be a temporary Easterly then back to Zonal

Zonal as in polar maritime NW winds zonal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Couldn't agree more with Gonzo.

Variations on a theme but the direction of travel is toward a colder pattern by the end of the month. Between now and then it's a slack north Atlantic regime with a couple of colder northerly incursions (occasional wintry showers) and some cold and frosty nights.

Trigger for a real change looks to be between the 28th and 30th of January when the models see increased distortion and amplification of the jet stream (which is refreshing consistency after recent months) so we may see momentum across the Atlantic lost and Low pressure finally taking a dive southeast introducing colder conditions from the north or northeast.

This could be the out-workings of the effects of down-welling through the layers of the atmosphere from the recent stratospheric warming event at the pole registering with the models though it's impossible to say it is or isn't.

So yeah, changes imminent, it's more a case of "how cold?"...could be relatively benign or exceptional.

We shall wait and see. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Great to see you out of prison Kermit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Couldn't agree more with Gonzo.

Variations on a theme but the direction of travel is toward a colder pattern by the end of the month. Between now and then it's a slack north Atlantic regime with a couple of colder northerly incursions (occasional wintry showers) and some cold and frosty nights.

Trigger for a real change looks to be between the 28th and 30th of January when the models see increased distortion and amplification of the jet stream (which is refreshing consistency after recent months) so we may see momentum across the Atlantic lost and Low pressure finally taking a dive southeast introducing colder conditions from the north or northeast.

So yeah, changes imminent, it's more a case of "how cold?"...could be relatively benign or exceptional.

We shall wait and see. :D

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

esposito wrote: »
    Zonal as in polar maritime NW winds zonal ?
    More than likely W and NW zonal winds. Mild and cold in the same week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Here’s hoping to waking up to a Kermit wintry warning thread next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Winter may now commence. All the let downs recently were simply caused by Kermit's absence here. We can't have wintry conditions without his input on Boards. Snow will happen in the next week or two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Kermit's back! Well I just repurchased my rollercoaster ticket:p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kermit's back! Well I just repurchased my rollercoaster ticket:p

Grab one for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Ahh Kermits a boll*****. Only kidding. Great to see him back. Snow on the way for sure ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Coming down thick and heavy in Derry.

circadian wrote: »

And what's the weather like? :pac:

Car reading 7 degrees in cork city, it feels colder though. Showery all day. Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

circadian wrote: »

Any pictures...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In the same way that death was a great career move by Elvis, I think Kermit getting banned for the month of January (of all months) has raised his stock to an all time high. If I were you Kermit I wouldn't do anything to damage your stock - like actually forecasting anything for example! Like Marilyn Monroe, I'm not sure you can now compete with Kermit the legend...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Breathtaking evening in Dublin 5. Nice and chilly too. Not often have I said positive things about this winter so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The next potential cold spell, is also being hinted at with the temperature anomaly from the 28th of January to the 3rd of February. So far the temperature anomaly haven't really being accurate over the past few weeks as the easterly failed to get going.

Ireland, Scotland and parts of Scandinavia look particularly cold with a 3-6C lower than average temperature.

meTz20190121_0000+33600.png

The precipitation anomaly for the same period shows dryer than average conditions where it is also coldest. This could suggest closer to high pressure with a lack of overall precipitation. Notice the wetter than average conditions along North Sea coasts and Irish Sea coasts.

meRz20190121_0000+33600.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Breathtaking evening in Dublin 5. Nice and chilly too. Not often have I said positive things about this winter so far.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Good few lightning strikes south of Derry .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Good few lightning strikes south of Derry .

looks to be a very decent snow streamer all the way from Derry to Belfast, lucky them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭circadian

Any pictures...

Here ye go

Im living in the wrong county.. definitely.. maybe wrong country :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Lads / ladies what site do ye use again for live preciptation radar which shows the pink colouring for possible snow? I remember using one all the time last Feb/March but can't recall which site it was..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

jArgHA wrote: »
    Lads / ladies what site do ye use again for live preciptation radar which shows the pink colouring for possible snow? I remember using one all the time last Feb/March but can't recall which site it was..

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Turn the "weather type" on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UK Met Office and GFS out so far this evening and setting things up nicely. The important timeframe is going to be between the 28th and 31st of January.

UKMO

UW144-21.GIF?22-18

GFS a little delayed but same overall trend.

GFS

gfseu-0-168.png?12

That low pressure just east of Greenland is a so called trigger low for cold weather as it moves southeast because it drags in the deeper cold behind it.

Even at that stage that's a cold northwesterly wind that there would be a real bite to.

We can see decent cross model alignment already so confidence pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

gabeeg wrote: »

Is this info live and accurate or is it a prediction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Is this info live and accurate or is it a prediction?

Live. It uses radar.

It's pretty accurate, but not perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

UK Met Office and GFS out so far this evening and setting things up nicely. The important timeframe is going to be between the 28th and 31st of January.

UKMO

UW144-21.GIF?22-18

GFS

gfseu-0-168.png?12

That low pressure just east of Greenland is a so called trigger low for cold weather as it moves southeast because it drags in the deeper cold behind it.

Even at that stage that's a cold northwesterly wind that there would be a real bite to.

Oh my - how you have been missed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

UKMO

UW144-21.GIF?22-18

GFS

gfseu-0-168.png?12

I love you x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Posted on TWO yesterday. Says it all about the UK Met Long Range forecasts his Winter...

"And the "Stopped Clock Award" for 2019 goes to.....

December 14: Through the first half of January there is an increasing likelihood for it to turn colder bringing the increased risk of winter hazards, especially frost and fog. Some snow is also likely with temperatures expected to fall below normal. However, there is uncertainty in the timing of this change to turn colder, and it could come before the end of December.

December 18: Through the first half of January, there is an increasing likelihood that colder weather may begin to dominate with a greater chance of seeing east or northeasterly winds.

December 21: Then, further into January, most probably becoming colder and drier than normal, with an increased likelihood of easterly winds.

December 24: By mid-month there is a greater chance of colder weather, with an increasing likelihood of frost, fog and snow, with these conditions probably continuing for the rest of the period.

December 31: By the third week of January there is then an increased likelihood of a change to much colder weather generally, bringing an enhanced risk of frost, fog and snow.

January 3: Towards the end of January, however, there is an increased likelihood of a change to much colder weather generally, bringing an enhanced risk of frost, fog and snow.

January 7: As the rest of the month progresses and into early February there is an increased likelihood of colder weather to become established generally, which will bring an enhanced risk of frost, fog and snow.

January 9: During the last week of January and into early February, there is an increased likelihood of cold conditions being established generally across all of the UK. This would bring an enhanced risk of snow and widespread frost, especially in the north.

January 13: For the end of January and into early February, there is an increased likelihood of cold weather being established across all of the UK, with temperatures continuing a downward trend to become cold or very cold.

January 21: As we head through February there is an increased chance of seeing very cold conditions developing with a greater probability of northerly or easterly winds.

"You've got to give them credit for persistence. However many times the weather proves them wrong they are not giving up."

New Moon

Advertisement