Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Aidric wrote: »
    Do Channel 4 have rights beyond the group stages? Their coverage has been excellent so far.

According to their press release back in October, they have one quarter-final, a semi-final and the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

razorblunt wrote: »
    They've improved for sure and there's a real grit to them now under Cockerill but I think they're flattering to deceive somewhat.

They can be got at, especially at 9 and 10, I still don't know why teams don't blitz Van Der Walt, he takes an age to pass, Goosen spotted in on Saturday and should really have had a breakaway interception.

They play with a lot of depth. VDW often sits well back and they put a lot of width on the ball from there. To blitz him would mean you're leaving a big gap in behind and you're not likely to reach him anyway given his position. He's very handy at little grubbers and chips which Edinburgh have scored a few tries off in the pool stages.

Their distribution isn't even that good as the near intercept showed on Friday along with a general lack of breaks but they will try to get a mismatch and their back three are all able to beat guys one on one.

It would be interesting to see what back row they'd go with if all were fit. It's hard to drop any of the current starters but surely a fit John Barclay goes straight in somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm happy for Cockeril tbh. I get the feeling it's quite rewarding coaching in the Pro14. I'm not sure what actually happened at Leicster, but he's clearly a handy coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm happy for Cockeril tbh. I get the feeling it's quite rewarding coaching in the Pro14. I'm not sure what actually happened at Leicster, but he's clearly a handy coach.
    Well for a start, there's quite a bit of travelling involved, so it's always a bit more interesting. Even if Ireland or Wales don't float your boat, there's Italy and SA. And that means getting a look at different coaching methods and playing styles. Then there's the conference system which gives you a good chance of getting into the knockouts at the end of the season. And of course no relegation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Buer wrote: »
    They play with a lot of depth. VDW often sits well back and they put a lot of width on the ball from there. To blitz him would mean you're leaving a big gap in behind and you're not likely to reach him anyway given his position. He's very handy at little grubbers and chips which Edinburgh have scored a few tries off in the pool stages.

Their distribution isn't even that good as the near intercept showed on Friday along with a general lack of breaks but they will try to get a mismatch and their back three are all able to beat guys one on one.

It would be interesting to see what back row they'd go with if all were fit. It's hard to drop any of the current starters but surely a fit John Barclay goes straight in somewhere.

They were going side to side though as they tend to do, get it to the big man asap.
    Though in fairness Kinghorn normally attacks the line but he was out of sorts last weekend so that might have made them look worse.

Yeah, Barclay is class alright, I wonder how close he really is to returning though, the lads in the office here seem to think he's not even close to any sort of training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Eod100 wrote: »
    Aviva I'd say judging by Munster v Saracens match season before last.
    Would only ever be Aviva
    Never not been semi in Ireland not in Aviva except when it wasnt available during reconstruction

Yeah, Barclay is class alright, I wonder how close he really is to returning though, the lads in the office here seem to think he's not even close to any sort of training.

I know his original intention was to play some part in the 6N but there doesn't appear to be any news on his progress whatsoever so I would imagine that isn't a runner at the moment.

Edinburgh would be better just trying to make sure that Hamish Watson can get back in time. If he was out, it would be a massive boost to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

EPCR confirm sf pairings. Not sure why they couldn't release potential sf venues now. Especially when there's only 6 different outcomes at let fans take a chance. Guess kos would still need to be confirmed but usually 1 match Sat, 1 Sun for sfs. Dunno what happens if Edinburgh or Glasgow get through, couldn't be at either ground presumably? Guess Leinster and Aviva a bit different.. https://www.epcrugby.com/2019/01/20/heineken-champions-cup-semi-finals/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They've improved for sure and there's a real grit to them now under Cockerill but I think they're flattering to deceive somewhat.

They can be got at, especially at 9 and 10, I still don't know why teams don't blitz Van Der Walt, he takes an age to pass, Goosen spotted in on Saturday and should really have had a breakaway interception.

Similar with van der Merwe on the wing, an absolute unit, but in some games he was smashed early and often, then lost interest, teams are giving him a bit too much respect and repeatedly going high on him too.

If Crosbie gets a run of games though he'll be flying. A serious talent, a tad under appreciated as he's not a proper "Edinburgh/Scottish schools" players, the same attitude that gets Gilchrist and Bradbury away with murder.

It's going to be a cracking game though.

I've only just understood that there are two D Van Der Merwes playing on the wing in Scottish club rugby!

EPCR confirm sf pairings. Not sure why they couldn't release potential sf venues now. Especially when there's only 6 different outcomes at let fans take a chance. Guess kos would still need to be confirmed but usually 1 match Sat, 1 Sun for sfs. Dunno what happens if Edinburgh or Glasgow get through, couldn't be at either ground presumably? Guess Leinster and Aviva a bit different.. https://www.epcrugby.com/2019/01/20/heineken-champions-cup-semi-finals/

Actually 5 scenarios cos presumably a Toulouse win would see either Leinster or Ulster host then in Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Actually 5 scenarios cos presumably a Toulouse win would see either Leinster or Ulster host then in Aviva.

seeds 7 and 8 cannot get home

So Toulouse cannot get home in SF

Technically Glasgow shouldn't either but they could face Edinburgh and the game would then be in Scotland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah, as seeds 7 and 8, Toulouse and Glasgow can't get a 'home' semi final as all possible opponents will have a higher seeding.

In the event of Leinster, Munster or Ulster it will be Aviva so three are covered

In Scotland Edinburgh are playing at Murrayfield this season while building a new smaller venue. Not sure if that means Murrayfield is out

I presume Hamden as alternative?

That only leaves racing and Sarries

sarries will be twickers probably as Spurs have been using wembley and they may not want it used so much

Only Q is Racing really - last time they went to Bordeaux but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

From EPCR Website;

Following confirmation of the Heineken Champions Cup quarter-final line-up, the possible semi-final pairings will be as follows:
    SEMI-FINAL 1 – winner of QF 1: Saracens v Glasgow Warriors will play the winner of QF 2: Edinburgh Rugby v Munster Rugby
    SEMI-FINAL 2 – winner of QF 3: Leinster Rugby v Ulster Rugby will play the winner of QF 4: Racing 92 v Toulouse
    The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, and the following clubs will have home country advantage in their respective matches:
    SEMI-FINAL 1
    If Saracens (ranked No 1) and Edinburgh Rugby (ranked No 4) win their quarter-finals, Saracens will have home country advantage
    If Saracens (ranked No 1) and Munster Rugby (ranked No 5) win their quarter-finals, Saracens will have home country advantage
    If Edinburgh Rugby (ranked No 4) and Glasgow Warriors (ranked No 8) win their quarter-finals, the semi-final will be played in Scotland
    If Munster Rugby (ranked No 5) and Glasgow Warriors (ranked No 8) win their quarter-finals, Munster will have home country advantage
    SEMI-FINAL 2
    If Racing 92 (ranked No 2) and Leinster Rugby (ranked No 3) win their quarter-finals, Racing 92 will have home country advantage
    If Racing 92 (ranked No 2) and Ulster Rugby (ranked No 6) win their quarter-finals, Racing 92 will have home country advantage
    If Leinster Rugby (ranked No 3) and Toulouse (ranked No 7) win their quarter-finals, Leinster will have home country advantage
    If Ulster Rugby (ranked No 6) and Toulouse (ranked No 7) win their quarter-finals, Ulster will have home country advantage
    Semi-finals: 19/20/21 April
    2019 Heineken Champions Cup final: Saturday, 11 May; St James’ Park, Newcastle (17.00)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Riskymove wrote: »
    In the event of Leinster, Munster or Ulster it will be Aviva so three are covered

In Scotland Edinburgh are playing at Murrayfield this season while building a new smaller venue. Not sure if that means Murrayfield is out

sarries will be twickers probably as Spurs have been using wembley and they may not want it used so much

It doesnt mean Murrayfield is out for Edinburgh. Cant see why it would. Sarries could be anywhere really and same with Racing

That looks pretty spot on. Not sure why Racing couldn't play closer to home say, Stade's ground but maybe there's some EPCR criteria..

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Someone said yesterday Toulouse might not go for a BP so as to avoid Leinster. Looks like they might have been right. Leinster v Ulster it is

Just coming back to this, I believe that was almost certainly the case. They got a comfortable lead in the bag in the first half and coasted They chose to go for the posts rather than the corner when given a penalty with 10 minutes to play so I don't think the BP was their concern at all and they knew the permutations.

It did nearly come back to bite them as they conceded two tries in the final quarter but I reckon they know they've a very decent chance of beating Racing in Paris and know them inside out.

The dress rehearsal is on February 16th for those interested. Toulouse won the first match between the sides 30-17 in September. Tie of the round, for me.

Just coming back to this, I believe that was almost certainly the case. They got a comfortable lead in the bag in the first half and coasted They chose to go for the posts rather than the corner when given a penalty with 10 minutes to play so I don't think the BP was their concern at all and they knew the permutations.

It did nearly come back to bite them as they conceded two tries in the final quarter but I reckon they know they've a very decent chance of beating Racing in Paris and know them inside out.

The dress rehearsal is on February 16th for those interested. Toulouse won the first match between the sides 30-17 in September. Tie of the round, for me.

Yeah risky enough strategy. Think they would have gone to Saracens if they'd lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Yeah risky enough strategy. Think they would have gone to Saracens if they'd lost?

Yup.

I would say they'd rather go to Saracens than Leinster purely based on having already gone there the previous week so they didn't see it as the worst case scenario.

• Advertisement

It doesnt mean Murrayfield is out for Edinburgh. Cant see why it would. Sarries could be anywhere really and same with Racing

Guess rule is a bit vague. Is it not that it has to be a neutral venue in home country? I dunno is their other considerations such as capacity say and ignoring Leinster scenario, would have thought as Edinburgh are playing all their home games in Murrayfield this season, it couldn't counts as a neutral ground..

I know his original intention was to play some part in the 6N but there doesn't appear to be any news on his progress whatsoever so I would imagine that isn't a runner at the moment.

Edinburgh would be better just trying to make sure that Hamish Watson can get back in time. If he was out, it would be a massive boost to Munster.

Crosbie has been called up to Scotland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 F.nelson

Was the rule not always home advantage but you couldn't play in your own ground. The reason Leinster have the rds as their home ground

Parkhead for Edinburgh I'd imagine given the Pro14 final is on there a few months later anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    From EPCR Website;

Following confirmation of the Heineken Champions Cup quarter-final line-up, the possible semi-final pairings will be as follows:
    SEMI-FINAL 1 – winner of QF 1: Saracens v Glasgow Warriors will play the winner of QF 2: Edinburgh Rugby v Munster Rugby
    SEMI-FINAL 2 – winner of QF 3: Leinster Rugby v Ulster Rugby will play the winner of QF 4: Racing 92 v Toulouse
    The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, and the following clubs will have home country advantage in their respective matches:
    SEMI-FINAL 1
    If Saracens (ranked No 1) and Edinburgh Rugby (ranked No 4) win their quarter-finals, Saracens will have home country advantage
    If Saracens (ranked No 1) and Munster Rugby (ranked No 5) win their quarter-finals, Saracens will have home country advantage
    If Edinburgh Rugby (ranked No 4) and Glasgow Warriors (ranked No 8) win their quarter-finals, the semi-final will be played in Scotland
    If Munster Rugby (ranked No 5) and Glasgow Warriors (ranked No 8) win their quarter-finals, Munster will have home country advantage
    SEMI-FINAL 2
    If Racing 92 (ranked No 2) and Leinster Rugby (ranked No 3) win their quarter-finals, Racing 92 will have home country advantage
    If Racing 92 (ranked No 2) and Ulster Rugby (ranked No 6) win their quarter-finals, Racing 92 will have home country advantage
    If Leinster Rugby (ranked No 3) and Toulouse (ranked No 7) win their quarter-finals, Leinster will have home country advantage
    If Ulster Rugby (ranked No 6) and Toulouse (ranked No 7) win their quarter-finals, Ulster will have home country advantage
    Semi-finals: 19/20/21 April
    2019 Heineken Champions Cup final: Saturday, 11 May; St James’ Park, Newcastle (17.00)

It's much less confusing to just say that the higher seeded team in each semi gets the home country advantage.

F.nelson wrote: »
    Was the rule not always home advantage but you couldn't play in your own ground. The reason Leinster have the rds as their home ground

That was my thinking. Guess it is a bit vague when Leinster play an interpro, CC game and now a home qf there but it's known that RDS is main ground. Bit like Dublin and Croker. :P Dunno would Edinburgh get a pass cos it's not their usual home ground but I was thinking as it was this season it counts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Guess rule is a bit vague. Is it not that it has to be a neutral venue in home country? I dunno is their other considerations such as capacity say and ignoring Leinster scenario, would have thought as Edinburgh are playing all their home games in Murrayfield this season, it couldn't counts as a neutral ground..

I think that rule went out with the demise of the old Heineken Cup. It's not an issue for most teams as nearly all 'home' grounds are too small, but I don't think there's any reason why it couldn't be Murrayfield.

I think that rule went out with the demise of the old Heineken Cup. It's not an issue for most teams as nearly all 'home' grounds are too small, but I don't think there's any reason why it couldn't be Murrayfield.

Yeah I think it's home country advantage now as you say grounds may not be big enough. Wording is just "The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, and the following clubs will have home country advantage in their respective matches." Guess that leaves EPCR with a bit of leeway about sf venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yes, I was thinking yesterday that it can't be too hard to get teams to nominate a venue for their potential semi-final well in advance.

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    Yes, I was thinking yesterday that it can't be too hard to get teams to nominate a venue for their potential semi-final well in advance.

tbf we knew where the SFs would be before QFs last year but the issue is its only 2 weeks to make arrangements

Advertisement