Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

They're not unbeatable. No one is.

They do have a mentality however - on top of their obvious quality - that makes them very hard to beat. They do whatever they need to do. They may not always win by 30 points, but they usually do what's required to win. Munster do it as well, to a degree, but Munster (for the moment at least) are far more limited than Sarries overall. Sarries can shut down Munster's physical game well enough, and there's little outside that that makes me think Munster can break down the Saracens defence. On the topic of Exeter, Exeter in the Prem and Exeter in Europe are two very different kettles of fish. Joke from the Subreddit, credit /u/saviouroftheweak:
    6nnz5t5zlfb21.png

Munster are undoubtedly on an upward trajectory, and can absolutely overturn Saracens on their day if Saracens aren't 100% and Munster are, but 8 games out of 10, Sarries win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Saracens are not unbeatable and have a scrum that can be got at. They have been poor enough in the premiership this year and Exeter gave them a big trimming recently. I think Munster have a good chance of making the final.

Have to beat Edinburgh away first, but after that who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Breakdown of teams is surprising, 5 pro 14,2 Top14 and 1 English.

Both Scots getting through is great for them but the Welsh seem to be just stagnant for whatever reason.

Saracens likely to have a big say but the English have done very poorly overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What's your thoughts on Ulster chances against Leinster?

I'm not confident!

But the one thing I would say is that it has been a while since we have had two full strength sides go head to head. You never know, but I'm not even sure I'd give us a 10% chance of winning. But it is a step forward for us just to be there.

It should be a good day out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    I'm not confident!

But the one thing I would say is that it has been a while since we have had two full strength sides go head to head. You never know, but I'm not even sure I'd give us a 10% chance of winning. But it is a step forward for us just to be there.

It should be a good day out though.

I’ve already given herself warning that I’ll be going out for pints after that one. Looking forward to it! Should we have a meet up of some sort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

P_1 wrote: »
    Wonder if they'll have that on the Friday to mitigate any potential travel issues that may arise out of the you know what hitting the fan?
    There won't be any problems ....at least initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »
    I’ve already given herself warning that I’ll be going out for pints after that one. Looking forward to it! Should we have a meet up of some sort?

That could be a plan. It would be good to see if the picture in my head of you guys matches the reality!!

Need to secure tickets first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

If Munster and Saracens qualify for the semi final Saracens will have home country advantage, but where would that game be held?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭tanko

mystic86 wrote: »
    If Munster and Saracens qualify for the semi final Saracens will have home country advantage, but where would that game be held?

Ricoh arena in Coventry??

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Twickenham probably, if they think they can sell it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Saracens played their home Semi Final in the Madejski Stadium in Reading in 2016. Reading don’t have a home game on the weekend of the SF this year so it could be there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,620 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They played the 2016 semi in the Madejski in Reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,005 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Christ can picture a zebo masterclass beating Munster in the final and it will be kind of bittersweet for him to an extent

Tbf lots of Rugby too be played and Edinburgh could easily beat Munster in the QF and Saracens could have a huge say in things still, think they will have too much for Glasgow again . On the other side of the draw reigning champs Leinster, Racing, Ulster and Toulouse are well capable of beating each other on there day

Going too be great and hopefully it's after another Irish 6Ns win

Good q. Usually find out officially just before qfs I think. Could they opt for a venue in London used by other teams say?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its the weekend of Brexit lads, 2 out of 4 matches might not even happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

There is very little chance Brexit happens that weekend. It'll probably delayed until May at least, after the tournament.

I think we can start to seriously talk about an all Ireland final. Red vs Blue.

Saracens are good but ultimately can anyone say they've really been tested this year? They've lost against the only good teams they've played against in the Premiership. I think Munster can beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Quint2010 wrote: »
    BT have nine channels. There's bound to be one dead rubber? Think it's unfair on some teams.

Do Channel 4 have rights beyond the group stages? Their coverage has been excellent so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

A lot of people seriously under estimating Edinburgh. I'd say the chances of a Leinster Munster final are very very small

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Larbre34 wrote: »

Edinburgh v Munster is the only one that could be affected by flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Larbre34 wrote: »

??

Why not?

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    There is very little chance Brexit happens that weekend. It'll probably delayed until May at least, after the tournament.

I think we can start to seriously talk about an all Ireland final. Red vs Blue.

Saracens are good but ultimately can anyone say they've really been tested this year? They've lost against the only good teams they've played against in the Premiership. I think Munster can beat them.

Saracens have only lost twice in Prem. Same as Exeter. They're 6 from 6 from pool. Granted they weren't in hardest group but they can easily go through the gears. Doubt they will win outright but they will be there or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Eod100 wrote: »
    Saracens have only lost twice in Prem. Same as Exeter. They're 6 from 6 from pool. Granted they weren't in hardest group but they can easily go through the gears. Doubt they will win outright but they will be there or thereabouts.

If Billy V is available and in any sort of form they are a different proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Synode wrote: »
    A lot of people seriously under estimating Edinburgh. I'd say the chances of a Leinster Munster final are very very small

The historical view of Edinburgh is hard for people to shake. Many opinions are based on the last decade rather than the last 12 months.

Right now, Edinburgh are one of the form teams in Europe. The last game they lost is when they sent their second string side to Cork in November. They've beaten Glasgow x 2, Montpellier and Toulon since then among others.

If they can retain their confidence until the end of March and get some of their injured players back, they're going to be a serious proposition. People should recall they've turned in these showings minus Mark Bennett and John Barclay. The potential loss of Hamish Watson is a big problem for them but 2 months should be enough to recover from a broken bone in his hand.

Right now, I'd consider the Edinburgh vs Munster match to be a coin toss. I don't think either have the ability to beat Saracens in London though. The depth simply isn't there. There's too large of a drop off for both sides in multiple key positions if they suffer any injuries to guys like Nel, Pyrgos, Carbery, Beirne etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

??

Why not?

Its a joke.

But border stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

If it’s a Munster v Glasgow SF, where will it be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

finbarrk wrote: »
    If it’s a Munster v Glasgow SF, where will it be on?

Ireland, bit not Thomond.

Neil3030 wrote: »

Aviva I'd say judging by Munster v Saracens match season before last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Neil3030 wrote: »

So not getting ahead of ourselves, because granted it's a small chance...but if the semis are:

Leinster v Toulouse
    Munster v Glasgow

Then most likely we would see 2 games in lansdowne over Easter weekend? That would be some weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Buer wrote: »
    The historical view of Edinburgh is hard for people to shake. Many opinions are based on the last decade rather than the last 12 months.

Right now, Edinburgh are one of the form teams in Europe. The last game they lost is when they sent their second string side to Cork in November. They've beaten Glasgow x 2, Montpellier and Toulon since then among others.

If they can retain their confidence until the end of March and get some of their injured players back, they're going to be a serious proposition. People should recall they've turned in these showings minus Mark Bennett and John Barclay. The potential loss of Hamish Watson is a big problem for them but 2 months should be enough to recover from a broken bone in his hand.

Right now, I'd consider the Edinburgh vs Munster match to be a coin toss. I don't think either have the ability to beat Saracens in London though. The depth simply isn't there. There's too large of a drop off for both sides in multiple key positions if they suffer any injuries to guys like Nel, Pyrgos, Carbery, Beirne etc.

I agree with all of what you are saying. I still think Munster will do them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Buer wrote: »

They've improved for sure and there's a real grit to them now under Cockerill but I think they're flattering to deceive somewhat.

They can be got at, especially at 9 and 10, I still don't know why teams don't blitz Van Der Walt, he takes an age to pass, Goosen spotted in on Saturday and should really have had a breakaway interception.

Similar with van der Merwe on the wing, an absolute unit, but in some games he was smashed early and often, then lost interest, teams are giving him a bit too much respect and repeatedly going high on him too.

If Crosbie gets a run of games though he'll be flying. A serious talent, a tad under appreciated as he's not a proper "Edinburgh/Scottish schools" players, the same attitude that gets Gilchrist and Bradbury away with murder.

It's going to be a cracking game though.

Advertisement