Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Lucan123 wrote: »
    I'm glad you can see my point, as you say more people start work between 07:30 and 08:00, so the new timetable for the 239 will not get people to work on time in Blanch unless their work is on top of the bus stop – the alternative is to leave a lot earlier and go via the city centre

But the 06:30 bus likely gets people there too early does it not? If you started work at 08:00 a 06:30 bus is likely too early but a 07:30 is likely too late so a 07:00 could work better for more people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Stephen15 wrote: »
    But the 06:30 bus likely gets people there too early does it not? If you started work at 08:00 a 06:30 bus is likely too early but a 07:30 is likely too late so a 07:00 could work better for more people.

They should have kept the existing timetable and filled in the gaps where there are 2 hour times between buses imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I thought the GTs won't start service with GAI until February. I heard from Flickr recently that 10 GTs still hadn't been repainted in the new TFI livery yet. Only 2 of the 12 GTs at Balllymount have the new livery painted on them to date. Has that information been updated to include all of them repainted?

I thought the GTs won't start service with GAI until February. I heard from Flickr recently that 10 GTs still hadn't been repainted in the new TFI livery yet. Only 2 of the 12 GTs at Balllymount have the new livery painted on them to date. Has that information been updated to include all of them repainted?

I believe there's five GTs ready to enter service. They didn't enter service this weekend in the end but will likely enter service in the coming days or weeks it's unclear. I believe one was meant to enter service this weekend but there were problems with it's destination displays so it didn't in the end. They have had renovation work being done to them over the past couple of months I believe.

I've heard a rumour now it's likely complete hearsay that a number of GAI single deckers will be redeployed down to Limerick and replaced with double decker buses. As single deckers on the 102 are proving to be a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

TallGlass wrote: »
    When are Dublin Bus changing over to the new colour scheme?

All deliveries in the current order will be in BAC standard Livery.

This will extend to at least June,and will comprise SG type only.

Discussions on future colour schemes for the next (Alt-Fuelled) order are ongoing.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I've heard a rumour now it's likely complete hearsay that a number of GAI single deckers will be redeployed down to Limerick and replaced with double decker buses. As single deckers on the 102 are proving to be a complete disaster.

They're a disaster on every route and extremely unpopular with drivers. The only positive thing about them is that they're so poorly constructed that they're unlikely to last very long. Go-Ahead should really have rejected them from the very beginning, on safety grounds. And whichever idiot in the NTA signed off on their procurement should face consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SG317

I believe there's five GTs ready to enter service. They didn't enter service this weekend in the end but will likely enter service in the coming days or weeks it's unclear. I believe one was meant to enter service this weekend but there were problems with it's destination displays so it didn't in the end. They have had renovation work being done to them over the past couple of months I believe.

Hopefully they enter service soon, will they be allocated to certain routes, or will they be let out on any? Do you know?

Regarding the single deckers the biggest issue I think is that if a route is single decker operated then the whole route is single decker operated, same with the double deckers. The issue here arises as while some routes may be generally fine with single deckers there are certain departures that would need double deckers and thus capacity issues arise. In fairness double deckers do operate some departures on the 102 and 184 now. However, same goes for double deckers, with routes like the 17 and 114 being double decker operated. Neither of these routes are especially busy most of the time, except in the mornings, so there is no need for them to be double decker operated, especially during the weekend. Realistically, they should be a mix of DD and SD. Then there is also the 63 which gets DD vehicels eventhough it doesn't need them and the 111, that has had quite a few DDs appear on it and not just on Sundays when its interworked with the 59. Single deckers thus neee to be allocated to the less busy duties of routes rather than be put on specific routes, outside the likes of the 104, 111, 185 and 220 etc.. which can do just fine with SDs.

SG317 wrote: »
    Hopefully they enter service soon, will they be allocated to certain routes, or will they be let out on any? Do you know?

They're likely to be heavier on fuel than the newer buses, so I'm guessing that they'll be allocated to routes that don't require lengthy 'dead runs'.

They're likely to be heavier on fuel than the newer buses, so I'm guessing that they'll be allocated to routes that don't require lengthy 'dead runs'.

Are there any Go-Ahead routes that don't require a large amount of dead running. The only route I can think of would be the 76 as it starts in Tallaght and terminates in Chapelizod so not too far from Ballymount. The 18, 75 and 175 all have their termini not too far from Ballymount but it would be a fair run back from UCD, Sandymount or Dun Laoghaire.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    All deliveries in the current order will be in BAC standard Livery.

This will extend to at least June,and will comprise SG type only.

Discussions on future colour schemes for the next (Alt-Fuelled) order are ongoing.

Do you know how many more SGs are to be delivered in the current order? I believe they want to get rid of the last of the AXs by the end of the year at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SG317

I was thinking that myself, however it wouldn't make much sense to have planned to allocate the GTs on a Sunday when there are other buses in the garage. However, this does seem to be the case for the single deckers on the 33A/B, 102, 184 and 185 where money is saved from the better fuel efficiency the Streetlites give on these routes long dead running. That's not to say that the routes are not suitable for single deckers, but routes like the 102 and 184 which are not most suitable give this advantage when allocated single deckers. The routes that have the closest proximity to Ballymount are the 17/A, 18, 75, 76 and Blanchardstown local routes.

Are there any Go-Ahead routes that don't require a large amount of dead running. The only route I can think of would be the 76 as it starts in Tallaght and terminates in Chapelizod so not too far from Ballymount. The 18, 75 and 175 all have their termini not too far from Ballymount but it would be a fair run back from UCD, Sandymount or Dun Laoghaire.

Some are worse than others. The 184 terminus in Newtown requires a 45 minute dead run. Dún Laoghaire is 35 minutes. The Square is only a 15 minute drive from Ballymount, which is why buses are often sent to/from Dún Laoghaire in service on the 75.

Some are worse than others. The 184 terminus in Newtown requires a 45 minute dead run. Dún Laoghaire is 35 minutes. The Square is only a 15 minute drive from Ballymount, which is why buses are often sent to/from Dún Laoghaire in service on the 75.

Having to start a 33a out in Balbriggan would be fairly bad for a dead run too possibly over an hour depending on traffic. Are the same buses and drivers doing all GAI or are some only allocated Southside routes and others only allocated Northside routes. As I've noticed after using a good few GAI buses on the Southside now that it's usually the same drivers.

They seem to be able to manage just about with the DL routes likewise with the 17a. I'd say they'd manage aswell with the 104 and 220 as it's not too far on the M50 and the Blanch locals are fairly ok too. The 17 and 18 aren't too far from Ballymount either and would manage getting to their Blackrock and Sandymount termini similar to getting to DL. The outer termini for the 63, 111 and 114 are also good as their not far from the M50 in Ticknock, Kilternan and Cherrywood.

I'd say GAI could also send a bus from DL to Blackrock to do a 17 or 114 as I believe they keep a bus spare there in case of breakdowns or other issues on the DL routes.

Are the same buses and drivers doing all GAI or are some only allocated Southside routes and others only allocated Northside routes. As I've noticed after using a good few GAI buses on the Southside now that it's usually the same drivers.

They have separate rosters for southside and northside. There are plans to open a sub-depot (with full refueling facilities) on the northside some time this year. When (or if) that happens, they'll cut down a lot of dead running. They could do with one on the southside too, but there doesn't seem to be much happening on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Got the 220 from Ballymun to Finglas for first time today, its now a single decker and frequency has gone up from once every hour and a half to once every hour, fantastic! Go Ahead are shaking things up why the hell didn't DB do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

NTA determine schedules not DB

Got the 220 from Ballymun to Finglas for first time today, its now a single decker and frequency has gone up from once every hour and a half to once every hour, fantastic! Go Ahead are shaking things up why the hell didn't DB do this?

DB didn't have the resources up until now. The NTA are adding 125 buses to the network and many DB routes have seen an increase in service such as the 4, 13, 14, 15 and 16 and there have been a number of new routes that have already been added to the network or will be added such as the 40e, 66e, 155 and 175. It's 25% increase in Dublin city bus services.

L1011 wrote: »
    NTA determine schedules not DB

Not strictly speaking true as DB make their own schedules with the resources they've been given by the NTA but all timetables that DB make have to be approved by the NTA. For GAI tendered routes the schedules are drawn up directly by the NTA themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

Not sure I want to risk taking the 220........

thomasj wrote: »
    Not sure I want to risk taking the 220........

Maybe they merged it with the 76a between Blanch and Tallaght, the 75 between Tallaght and DL and the 45a between DL and Kilmacanogue :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

Maybe they merged it with the 76a between Blanch and Tallaght, the 75 between Talllaght and DL and the 45a between DL and Kilmacanogue :D

Haha no pressure on the driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭john boye

With the 18 and 76 moving to GAI on the same day and given how close their Palmerstown and Chapelizod termini are, should we expect them to be interworked also? Are any of their routes not interworked?

john boye wrote: »
    With the 18 and 76 moving to GAI on the same day and given how close their Palmerstown and Chapelizod termini are, should we expect them to be interworked also? Are any of their routes not interworked?

Perhaps I wouldn't be surprised if they extended the 18 across the M50 to Liffey Valley I think it would make sense anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Maybe they merged it with the 76a between Blanch and Tallaght, the 75 between Tallaght and DL and the 45a between DL and Kilmacanogue :D

75+76A+45A+17+17A=230

It just doesn't add it, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Farce today for the 114. Nothing showed up, timetables showing cancelled. Lots of very cold people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

DB didn't have the resources up until now. The NTA are adding 125 buses to the network and many DB routes have seen an increase in service such as the 4, 13, 14, 15 and 16 and there have been a number of new routes that have already been added to the network or will be added such as the 40e, 66e, 155 and 175. It's 25% increase in Dublin city bus services.

Whatever the reason, private sector showing up leads to better services for the public.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Giblet wrote: »
    Farce today for the 114. Nothing showed up, timetables showing cancelled. Lots of very cold people

People complaining on Twitter also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Whatever the reason, private sector showing up leads to better services for the public.

It's just perfect timing.

The nta were holding out till each change to add more services.

It makes the new player look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Looking on Twitter this morning and it seems like a complete mess yet again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You would think they would have say 2 spare buses for exactly that reason if there are issues.

They have had long enough and had sh1te loads of buses going around and taking up space off dB.

Advertisement