Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Season 2018/2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dial Hard wrote:
    I'm off to Zell am See on Wednesday. Nearly afraid to check the weather!

Well, I tripped over the little nubbin that keeps gates closed leaving my brother's house last night and will now be going to Zell with a chipped tooth, badly bruised knees, a burst top lip, two stitches in my botttom lip, one in my forehead and nine in my left hand as, unfortunately, I was carrying a bottle of wine. I can't believe it. I've been cleared to travel and ski "gently" but I'm so annoyed with myself. This is my first trip in years and I'm in ribbons going on it. Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Well, I tripped over the little nubbin that keeps gates closed leaving my brother's house last night and will now be going to Zell with a chipped tooth, badly bruised knees, a burst top lip, two stitches in my botttom lip, one in my forehead and nine in my left hand as, unfortunately, I was carrying a bottle of wine. I can't believe it. I've been cleared to travel and ski "gently" but I'm so annoyed with myself. This is my first trip in years and I'm in ribbons going on it. Gutted.

Very bad look - however, don't let it get to you. You will most likely still be able to ski with those injuries, and probably ski reasonably hard? Also, its going to snow down to resort level so will be really nice atmosphere in town, can always read book and drink gluhwein in front of nice open fire, get a bit of r and r. Wellness also.

Obviously a pain in the hole and very unlucky but many people will not get to go at all this year so try and look on the bright side.

a148pro wrote:
    Obviously a pain in the hole and very unlucky but many people will not get to go at all this year so try and look on the bright side.

Yep, trying to do that. I don't generally use my poles so should hopefully be able to get a few good runs in. And God knows it could have been so much worse. I keep thinking about that poor girl with the vodka bottle on Sundrive Road on last week. I'm very lucky.

Timmaay wrote: »
    I was gonna go with the ucpa to France on the 13th Jan, but snow looking a hell of alot better in Austria at the min. Any suggestions for a solo trip to Austria?

Buckets of resorts obviously but I don't know of any upca type set up. You could try posting here or on snow heads looking for a ski partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Ouch! Feel for you. Surprising the kind of injuries you can still ski with though.
    I've ski'd on cracked ribs and busted coccyx. Much easier than walking with them! Just don't fall and open any stitches!

I'm just getting over Bronchitis, and am due to fly on Saturday. I spent Xmas once in Mayerhoffen in a hotel room, after handing back my ski-pass due to the same ailment, so I may just have escaped this year (touch wood!!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Been over in Alpe d'Huez for the past 7 days with my last day tomorrow. No fresh snow has fallen in quite a while which has made the off-piste conditions quite tough.
    Strong winds on 2 days making some of the on-piste runs icy and has also closed the gondolas to the top. Hoping for a good last day tomorrow, no snow forecast so won't bother with much off-piste!
    Alpe d'Huez is a really lovely town but it can take over half an hour to get back up the mountain with the amount of people here. Not too sure what the norm is in other European resorts but it's the longest times I've experienced anyway.

Some poor lad was air-lifted off the mountain yesterday with a broken femur (standard protocol with the arteries so close). Can only imagine the impact he must have taken as the femur is said to be as strong as concrete :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

He must of hit something fairly hard while traveling fairly fast! Even during my motocross days broken femurs were rarel enough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just got this on whatsapp from a friend in Obertauern, looks nasty! :eek:

Just got picked up in Salzberg airport and the driver has warned us that the traffic to Zell is awful as a METRE of snow fell today. Usually takes an hour, he reckons it could take up to three. So needless to say I made an emergency stop before we left the airport - for beer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Alpe d'Huez is a really lovely town but it can take over half an hour to get back up the mountain with the amount of people here. Not too sure what the norm is in other European resorts but it's the longest times I've experienced anyway

Kids are still off so its a busy week in resorts, I was there for French midterm last year and it was very busy also.

• Advertisement

Just got picked up in Salzberg airport and the driver has warned us that the traffic to Zell is awful as a METRE of snow fell today. Usually takes an hour, he reckons it could take up to three. So needless to say I made an emergency stop before we left the airport - for beer.

Considering zell and environs from end of this week so all updates appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Hi all, loving the reports so far and really encouraged by all the snowfall the last few days!

Considering loads of options for this year's trip. Usually go to Mayrhofen but thinking of somewhere new this time. Only two of us as well. Really like Mayrhofen for the amount of terrain (including Zell Am Ziller), gorgeous scenery and decent comfort levels, as well as lively town. It's my favourite resort by a mile in the last 12 years.

Heading on the 2nd February and keeping an eye on the packages.

Interested in somewhere like Val D'Isere, but not that keen on transfer times and it looks pretty sold out that week. Val Thorens and Les Arcs are off the cards.

I hear conflicting things about Les Deux Alpes. Some say there's enough terrain for someone who likes to get about and some say there isn't, does anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have experience of La Plagne for intermediate-advanced skiiers and which village is your favourite?

Open to France and Austria - figured you guys might have good opinions? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm looking at going away on 26th of this month for a week. Is there any use in holding off for snow forecasts, or should I go ahead based on what's there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Jaysus Soll Ellmau st Johan area still getting tonnes of snow, amazing conditions today really deep powder for those who like that, pistes in great shape and saw singe sunshine today. Don't want this holiday to end...

mollser wrote: »
    Jaysus Soll Ellmau st Johan area still getting tonnes of snow, amazing conditions today really deep powder for those who like that, pistes in great shape and saw singe sunshine today. Don't want this holiday to end...

there in 2 weeks hope it lasts :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Oh it will, too much of the stuff and due to be cold and continue to snow. You'll be timed right I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Hi all, loving the reports so far and really encouraged by all the snowfall the last few days!

Considering loads of options for this year's trip. Usually go to Mayrhofen but thinking of somewhere new this time. Only two of us as well. Really like Mayrhofen for the amount of terrain (including Zell Am Ziller), gorgeous scenery and decent comfort levels, as well as lively town. It's my favourite resort by a mile in the last 12 years.

Interested in somewhere like Val D'Isere, but not that keen on transfer times and it looks pretty sold out that week. Val Thorens and Les Arcs are off the cards.

I hear conflicting things about Les Deux Alpes. Some say there's enough terrain for someone who likes to get about and some say there isn't, does anyone have any thoughts? Anyone have experience of La Plagne for intermediate-advanced skiiers and which village is your favourite?

Have been to quite a few resorts over the last few years. Was in Mayrhofen two years ago. By far the liveliest place I've been. Val Thorens is ok. Plenty of other valleys to explore in the area and some nice off piste areas can be found not too far from the main area in a quiet valley. A small group of us went to Zell Am See last year and I loved it. Slopes for all levels. If you're a decent snowboarder/skier, plenty of decent reds and blacks which weren't too busy. Plenty of snow. Runs back into town. Nice restaurants. Only a handful of late night bars but you only need one or two. Highly recommended. Cervinia in Italy is nice but hard to get to from airports. Good for a few days break if you book it early enough. My experience of Les Deux Alps was as a beginner snowboarder 9 years ago so I didn't see much beyond the beginner slopes but the nightlife was pretty good. Handy enough to get to from Grenoble airport.

What are your priorities?

From your description of your liking for mayrhofen ischgl would seem to be a good fit. Decent amount of pistes, two other valleys on the lift pass, classy resort and good nightlife.

blue note wrote: »
    I'm looking at going away on 26th of this month for a week. Is there any use in holding off for snow forecasts, or should I go ahead based on what's there now?

This depends whether you want the best snow possible at the time or you just want to be sure there will be snow.

Realistically there will be snow. As far as I know morzine and the lower french resorts are pretty bad at the moment. The higher french ones are fine. There hasn't been fresh natural snow in italy for ages, maybe a month, but they run on snow making anyway. There is between one to two meters falling in austria now so those resorts should be fine.

If however you are anxious to go for fresh powder then why don't you wait to see where is best forecast the two or three days before you leave? I do this all the time now. I'm about to book austria. Flights would be about 200 return over next few days, 40 Euro return most of next week. no problems getting accommodation

Of course those prices will increase at peak times and accommodation harder to get during school mid term. But I still prefer this type of trip.

Ive been meaning to put up a post about these short DIY trips when I get round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭andyd12

Going to Mayrhofen on the 19th of this month with 2 mates and brother, all boarders. Second time to go to the Hof, after being in St.Anton last year.
    Can't wait, Austria is getting POUNDED at the moment! Yeeeeeeooooowwww

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

a148pro wrote: »
    What are your priorities?

From your description of your liking for mayrhofen ischgl would seem to be a good fit. Decent amount of pistes, two other valleys on the lift pass, classy resort and good nightlife.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone so far. Actually Ischgl would be my top pick but having trouble finding decent (mid-range to high end) accommodation that isn't sold out at this point. It seems like a lot of the packages are sold out and would love to do DIY, but when you look on booking.com etc you get prices of 4-5k for accom only which is crazy money.

I'd be interested to hear where posters look for their DIY accommodation prices.

The poster who recommended Zell Am See was bang on, it's a fabulous place, although I tend to get through a fair bit of distance and I found I covered the whole place twice in 3 days when I was there before, so was looking for something a little bigger. Definitely being too picky methinks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The official Ischgl website is your best bet. We booked our accommodation on there for our trip next month

https://www.ischgl.com/en

I'd recommend St Anton if you can't get anything in Ischgl. It ticks all the boxes for everything you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

Hi, we went to la Plagne last year and loved it there, huge ski area that suits all levels. Plus you can access les Arcs too by cable car to give the same area of ski there. We stayed in Soleil, very quiet tho as is much of La Plagne(not a big problem for us as we have children with us). Most is ski in ski out, I think plagne 1800 was nicer as its set amongst the trees,gives a lovely Alpine feel

Ive been to L2A and the neighbouring resort of Alpe d'Huez. L2A is good, not as expansive as some of the other French resorts, if your decent you will easily ski it out. If your decent off piste you can take a guide and drop over into La Grave. Alpe d'Huez was very good and I would recommend it, does get very busy at peak times though.

We did La Plagne (our accommodation was on the Les Arcs side) and found it to be pretty decent, plenty of villages to visit for lunches etc. Other places to think of are Morzine, Tignes or Mirabelle Mottaret.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The poster who recommended Zell Am See was bang on, it's a fabulous place, although I tend to get through a fair bit of distance and I found I covered the whole place twice in 3 days when I was there before, so was looking for something a little bigger. Definitely being too picky methinks :D

We hit Chamonix afew yrs ago in a near total whiteout week, with 90% the runs closed, so had to improvise, we had some craic off piste through trees etc, well over a meter of fresh powder in places, and after like 11am it wasn't even that busy because all the soft skiers had bailed off home ha. I'd take that anyday over melting slushy wet snow ha.

I'd be interested to hear where posters look for their DIY accommodation prices.

Some resorts are quite centralized. Their own websites are very good engines for searching accommodation.

If you are looking for anything less than the full week however you will often get no hits until late in the week before as the savvy spendthrift austrians hold on for a full weeks booking.

If you can't get sorted there could stay in the adjacent resorts of galtur or kappl. Both have smaller ski areas and are devoid of atmosphere but much cheaper. About 10 - 15 minutes on the bus to ischgl.

As someone pointed out St Anton will also tick a lot of your boxes, bit too many brits and lift system bit poor in parts but great town and some of the best off piste in the alps if you get a guide.

Plus there is the unique cultural gem that is the moosewird.

Anton hard to get accommodation in advance also, but again there are satellite towns.

Tiscover can also be good for germanic b n b s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Saalbach might be worth checking out too.

Hallo from Zell am See. Christ on a bike there's a lot of snow. Deepest powder I've ever skied in (full disclosure: this is only my third time skiing). It's been lightly snowing non-stop since we got here on Wednesday (has actually been snowing since Saturday) and there's apparently another big dump due tonight. No sun at all but the only time conditions got really bad was yesterday afternoon right at the highest run when the wind kicked in and it was pretty much a white-out but other than that, it's been fab. Bring your goggles though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭andyd12

Hallo from Zell am See. Christ on a bike there's a lot of snow. Deepest powder I've ever skied in (full disclosure: this is only my third time skiing). It's been lightly snowing non-stop since we got here on Wednesday (has actually been snowing since Saturday) and there's apparently another big dump due tonight. No sun at all but the only time conditions got really bad was yesterday afternoon right at the highest run when the wind kicked in and it was pretty much a white-out but other than that, it's been fab. Bring your goggles though!
    And the snorkel perhaps!!

Advertisement