Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA ad on unaccompanied L drivers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

road_high wrote: »
    And supposing an animal or pedestrian suddenly jump out in front of you- you have to brake hard and swerve on a wet, greasy road to avoid them- do you think a sign is sufficient to stop them hitting the obstacle or dyke?

Expect the unexpected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DeadHand

An unnecessary, ugly and inappropriate ad.

This achieves absolutely nothing beyond the public torture of those involved and beaming further misery into people's homes so the RSA can feel useful and the shower who made it can pretend to be Martin Scorsese. Few young people watch television, fewer watch ads, fewer still are going to watch that horrible dirge and suddenly be converted. All it does is depress a load of people while improving none.

Look at how this thing is shot, all broody lighting and arty contrivances. Like an ugly little movie. This is the work of frustrated, failed film-makers who see a chance to indulge themselves through human suffering, secure in the knowledge they won't be criticised as the "work" is sacrosanct.

It's a grotesque vanity project.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

DeadHand wrote: »

This achieves absolutely nothing beyond the public torture of those involved and beaming further misery into people's homes so the RSA can feel useful and the shower who made it can pretend to be Martin Scorsese. Few young people watch television, fewer watch ads, fewer still are going to watch that horrible dirge and suddenly be converted. All it does is depress a load of people while improving none.
    They publish the ads online too, where the young people do be hanging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Only for about 35 years - cars, vans, minibuses, ambulances - and never once felt intimidated by a ditch.

Yeah, it's such a laughable topic, right?

Collisions happen because drivers drive too fast for the road conditions, or ignore the weather forecast, or are thinking about their upcoming appointment instead of their driving, or are updating WhatsApp or Facetiming while driving.

What is the fascination that all crashes are caused by speed.

If you have that much experience then you should know anything can happen.

The mother and daughter would be here today if things like I suggested were put in place. They weren't speeding, the girl in the other car t bones them sending them off the road.

There are so many factors and of course I agree with what you say many are doing anything but concentrating on driving.

I wasn't speeding when my car went off the road, I wasn't speeding the numerous other collisions I was in either as I drive every day and drive large vehicles it happens quite a lot.

There are so many places that could be made safer for such freak collision and anything can happen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

DeadHand wrote: »

This achieves absolutely nothing beyond the public torture of those involved

The purpose of the ad is to initially raise public awareness and ultimately change behaviour.

The fact this thread exists and you are participating appears to suggest it's at least effective on the first point.

• Advertisement

Just for those "the test is 20 mins and a joke" people,here is the actual steps in getting a licence.

This is the Graduated Driver Licensing system operated by the RSA http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Graduated-Driver-Licensing/About-GDL/

Also, it should be noted that 10-15 years ago, it was a farce, but the situation now is very, very different with a lot of changes made since 2007. See here for more details http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Graduated-Driver-Licensing/GDL-rollout/

Theory Test
    First up, the driver theory test checks your knowledge of:

The rules of the road
    Risk perception
    Eco-driving
    Hazard awareness
    Good driving behaviour

You cannot operate a vehicle at the this stage

Permit

Apply for the learner permit which includes an eye test report and medical report if you fall into certain categories

You can operate a vehicle when accompanied by a authorised driving instructor or a fully licensed driver. Note that you must be insured.

The vehicle you are driving must have L plates

EDT

Essential Driver Training(EDT) is a training course teaching fundamental driving skills to learner car drivers. EDT is mandatory to all learners who received their first driving permit on or after 4 April 2011

The Essential Driver Training course is made up of 12 one-hour lessons, which you must complete before taking your Driving test

LESSON 1: CAR CONTROLS AND SAFETY CHECKS
    LESSON 2: CORRECT POSITIONING
    LESSON 3: CHANGING DIRECTION
    LESSON 4: PROGRESSION MANAGEMENT
    LESSON 5: CORRECT POSITIONING
    LESSON 6: ANTICIPATION AND REACTION
    LESSON 7: SHARING THE ROAD
    LESSON 8: DRIVING SAFELY THROUGH TRAFFIC
    LESSON 9: CHANGING DIRECTION (MORE COMPLEX SITUATIONS)
    LESSON 10: SPEED MANAGEMENT
    LESSON 11: DRIVING CALMLY
    LESSON 12: NIGHT DRIVING

You can operate a vehicle when accompanied by a authorised driving instructor or a fully licensed driver. Note that you must be insured.

The driving test

The driving test lasts approximately 30 to 40 minutes and includes a number of different elements:
    The driver tester will ask you questions on the Rules of the Road.
    You will be taken to the vehicle where you must complete a number of roadworthiness checks.
    You will be asked how you would carry out technical checks – for example, on tyres, engine oil, lights, and so on.
    You will be asked questions on the vehicle controls, and you will be asked to demonstrate the use of secondary controls, such as the windscreen wipers, demisters, rear window heater, and so on.
    You will then be asked to drive and to follow directions given by the driver tester. If you are unclear about any direction, please ask the tester to clarify.

During the test you must:
    Maintain proper control over the vehicle at all times.
    Show anticipation and awareness.
    Take proper precautions when moving off, stopping, overtaking, changing direction and meeting other traffic.
    Make safe and reasonable progress when driving and when meeting and crossing the path of other vehicles.

The test will end back at the test centre and the tester will give you the result with some brief feedback on how you performed in the test.

Novice

A person granted a first full driving licence on or after 1st August 2014 must display N-plates on the vehicle for a period of 2 years, and during that period display N-plates on any other vehicle in respect of which they get a driving licence.

There is no requirement for novice drivers to have an accompanying driver – this is still only the case for learner drivers. However, a novice driver may not act as an accompanying driver for someone who holds a learner permit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The mother and daughter would be here today if things like I suggested were put in place. They weren't speeding, the girl in the other car t bones them sending them off the road.

There are so many factors and of course I agree with what you say many are doing anything but concentrating on driving.
    In fairness, I listed three or four other typical causes, along with speed.

I wasn't speeding when my car went off the road, I wasn't speeding the numerous other collisions I was in either as I drive every day and drive large vehicles it happens quite a lot.
    Isn't it strange how the headlines and these stories make it sound like it was one of those autonomous cars, controlling its own destiny; "Car overturns on the M50".

Why do we avoid the truth, which is: "Driver overturns car on the M50"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Graham wrote: »
    The purpose of the ad is to initially raise public awareness and ultimately change behaviour.
    apparently though we can't have ads using actual fatalities, involving the factor we're actually trying to highlight, because it'll hurt someone's feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

How does a ditch claim lives?

Did it jump out on the road and drag the drivers into the ditch or what?

Since cyclists don't always pay attention :

they might end up in a drain all by themselves

(or in this case "helped" by an outside force ) :

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

lbc2019 wrote:
    It will teach others not to drive alone unless fully qualified
    It won't because it's not on Netflix or Amazon Prime or the BBC or Sky/BT sports.
    It's on RTE which feck all young people watch.

• Advertisement

In terms of cost-effectiveness, the RSA states that it focusses mainly on TV advertisements and augments this through other mediums – like radio and online.

Its 2015 advertising budget was €4,196,000
    Each fatal crash alone costs €2.7 million. If we prevent just two fatalities each year it reduces the burden on the state equivalent to the value of all road safety advertising each year.

Easier tool around with powerpoint than actually fixing roads i suppose

https://www.thejournal.ie/road-safety-campaign-3337583-Apr2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

gctest50 wrote:
    Since cyclists don't always pay attention :

Human being don't always pay attention to what they are doing. When that person is driving a car simple physics(never mind decades of accident data) will tell you the consequences are far worse to the public than if the same person is cycling a bike if they are not giving their surroundings enough attention.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

gctest50 wrote: »
    Easier tool around with powerpoint than actually fixing roads i suppose

https://www.thejournal.ie/road-safety-campaign-3337583-Apr2017/

By "fix roads" are you talking about removing those who have not yet proven competent to drive unaccompanied or are you suggesting potholes/road-safety campaigning is an either/or decision?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

It's an awful ad. I feel sorry for both families involved. But to have this type of ad on TV and the girl watching this knows it's about her that caused all this putting full blame on her and yet nothing is being said about the gap in the wall. It's not like a generic slow down TV ad. Having a full license driver wouldn't have prevented this type of accident. It's very bad form from the RSA.

Not happy reading about the husband left in all this giving out about learner drivers, not allowing his own kids out on their own and giving out about this girl's family. Not that long ago, there were learner drivers in every family who were out on the road. How can he talk about this girl's family when no doubt he probably has brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews and we all drove unaccompanied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

It's an awful ad. I feel sorry for both families involved. But to have this type of ad on TV and the girl watching this knows it's about her that caused all this putting full blame on her and yet nothing is being said about the gap in the wall. It's not like a generic slow down TV ad. Having a full license driver wouldn't have prevented this type of accident. It's very bad form from the RSA.

Not happy reading about the husband left in all this giving out about learner drivers, not allowing his own kids out on their own and giving out about this girl's family. Not that long ago, there were learner drivers in every family who were out on the road. How can he talk about this girl's family when no doubt he probably has brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews and we all drove unaccompanied.

What are you saying? Are you saying that learner's should be let out unaccompanied? Because that's what I'm getting from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They should do another one about that one Dayna Kearney who killed her 3 mates when she drove a car unaccompanied as a learner with an under-inflated tyre. Her lack of experience and inability to do basic checks / realise basic faults on her car directly caused the deaths of those three.

Not all didn't drive unaccompanied.

I admit it's harder now to get a driver's licence but people have had to do this for years.

You don't have a right to drive it's a privilege which one must pay for and do their test before driving around alone.

There is no reason for anyone to drive alone on a learner permit(not a licence)

One can get lessons and drive at 17 so why not do this the minute one turns 17.

There are so many places that could be made safer for such freak collision and anything can happen.

Speed reduces ability to react and causes greater injuries

eagle eye wrote: »
    It won't because it's not on Netflix or Amazon Prime or the BBC or Sky/BT sports.
    It's on RTE which feck all young people watch.

It will be on Sky.RSA advertise on Sky

pablo128 wrote: »
    What are you saying? Are you saying that learner's should be let out unaccompanied? Because that's what I'm getting from your post.

I didn't say that at all. What I said was, it wasn't that long ago where we all did it and he shouldn't be talking about this girl's family when his own family probably did.

• Advertisement

I didn't say that at all. What I said was, it wasn't that long ago where we all did it and he shouldn't be talking about this girl's family when his own family probably did.

We all did it so leave her alone is your message???

No, no we didn’t. She has a criminal conviction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

road_high wrote: »
    Yes in so much as was in the media. An accident can happen even the most experienced of drivers, pretty hard to pin blame solely on that aspect.

According to the RSA there are no accidents.

They're "collisions" in safety-speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

wasnt long ago where drinking 5 pints and getting in a car to go home was the done thing, still is in some small pockets of the country . Doesnt make it right and certainly doesnt mean its not a road safety issue.

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Speed reduces ability to react and causes greater injuries

But many crashes don't have speed involved so what's your point?

Where have I said it doesn't cause carnage when things go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Not a bit wrong with the advert.
    As usual in this country it took tragedy to instigate action.

All we need now is some enforcement.

But many crashes don't have speed involved so what's your point?

Where have I said it doesn't cause carnage when things go wrong.

I never said you did I’m explaining RSAs emphasis on Speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Stheno wrote: »
    Thats a myth tbh

45,000 drivers is not a myth.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/shouldn-t-amnesty-motorists-sit-a-test-1.571127?mode=amp

They werent found to be disproportionately involved in subsequent "collisions" either.

lbc2019 wrote: »
    We all did it so leave her alone is your message???

No, no we didn’t. She has a criminal conviction

You know what I said.

So she caused this accident... Does it give him the right to talk about her family? And blame them as well?

By "fix roads" are you talking about removing those who have not yet proven competent to drive unaccompanied or are you suggesting potholes/road-safety campaigning is an either/or decision?

potholes

I'm not on about potholes, fixing stuff like* this :

7vXCTnq.jpg

( like* = that is 2009 googleearth, might be "fixed" by now

or this :

Reminds .e of the n4 near Sligo.

Lethal ditch or drain and it claimed lives.

RSA needs to look at actual road safety at this level more.

• Advertisement

Not all didn't drive unaccompanied.

I admit it's harder now to get a driver's licence but people have had to do this for years.

You don't have a right to drive it's a privilege which one must pay for and do their test before driving around alone.

There is no reason for anyone to drive alone on a learner permit(not a licence)

One can get lessons and drive at 17 so why not do this the minute one turns 17.

I did it because I had to. I lived in rural Ireland and the rules weren't enforced. Who has friends/family to bring along on a drive to work and let them off while you park up your car. I wouldn't do it now though.

Driving should be thought in schools. Not useless subjects like religion. Give them a life skill that they will have for life.

Advertisement