Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA ad on unaccompanied L drivers

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Doesn’t matter whose name the car is in, if they drive alone, car seized.

Does anyone know what happens post seizure under the new law. Is it just a matter of paying a fine at the pound and you get it back the next day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happens post seizure under the new law. Is it just a matter of paying a fine at the pound and you get it back the next day?

Standard impound fees apply, along the lines of a same day release of €130* + €25* per day there after.

Also if the learner is collecting the car i think they need the logbook,I.D,full licensed driver present etc.

I've never had a vehicle seized in my life so have never gone through the process, someone looking in may give a more definitive version.

*prices open to correction*

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

lbc2019 wrote: »
    You no longer can

Sorry, I haven't read this thread in its entirety but people like this guy really tick me off. Dozens and dozens of posts no longer than a sentence and a total failure to engage with any arguments. Just repetitive statements showing how righteous he/she is. Well done, we all realise how faultless you are as a human being. You can go about your business now.

Anyway, I tend to agree that the ad is over the top and serves no purpose other than to torment the girl and her family (and to be frank I think it is quite likely to be inflicting serious additional mental trauma on that girl and her family). This is a quote from an article about it:

"Medical reports confirmed that the accused was overwhelmed, distraught and emotionally fragile following the accident and was in a state of near panic all the time.

“There are days she wishes she had died, she genuinely regrets it. She is utterly terrified of the consequences of a custodial sentence...There but for the grace of God go so many people who make mistakes on the road,” defence senior counsel James O’Mahony said.

I actually think some people here would prefer the girl commit suicide rather than forgive her. She made a mistake, I take pity on her. Too much eye for an eye crap being spouted here.

I also dont see why people prefer to blame the girl than the council here. The crash would have been pretty innocuous only for the fact that there was a gap in the wall which the council had know about for years. So why isn't there an ad guilt tripping the person/persons in charge of road maintenance in county Cork? I think they deserve it, if the girl does. There are thousands of well known, needless hazards all over the roads in this country which the councils are allowed to get away with because there is no legal obligation on them to maintain roads. I've been trying to get the council to fill two massive 8" deep potholes outside my house for 2 months and they couldnt be bothered. If a cyclist or motorcyclist hits them they will be hurt.

Councils here are only liable for maintenance if an accident is caused as a direct result of work they have recently carried out. In the UK and most countries the county council has a duty to maintain their roads and they are held liable in the event that this does not occur. Changing this law would have a dramatic effect on road safety I would say but it would cost the government money so they wont do it.

The council was just as culpable as the girl in this case but lbc2019 and others like him wouldn't get the same self righteous, endorphin buzz out of berating a faceless government body...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

MTBD wrote: »
    Sorry, I haven't read this thread in its entirety but people like this guy really tick me off. Dozens and dozens of posts no longer than a sentence and a total failure to engage with any arguments. Just repetitive statements showing how righteous he/she is. Well done, we all realise how faultless you are as a human being. You can go about your business now.

Anyway, I tend to agree that the ad is over the top and serves no purpose other than to torment the girl and her family (and to be frank I think it is quite likely to be inflicting serious additional mental trauma on that girl and her family). This is a quote from an article about it:

"Medical reports confirmed that the accused was overwhelmed, distraught and emotionally fragile following the accident and was in a state of near panic all the time.

“There are days she wishes she had died, she genuinely regrets it. She is utterly terrified of the consequences of a custodial sentence...There but for the grace of God go so many people who make mistakes on the road,” defence senior counsel James O’Mahony said.

I actually think some people here would prefer the girl commit suicide rather than forgive her. She made a mistake, I take pity on her. Too much eye for an eye crap being spouted here.

I also dont see why people prefer to blame the girl than the council here. The crash would have been pretty innocuous only for the fact that there was a gap in the wall which the council had know about for years. So why isn't there an ad guilt tripping the person/persons in charge of road maintenance in county Cork? I think they deserve it, if the girl does. There are thousands of well known, needless hazards all over the roads in this country which the councils are allowed to get away with because there is no legal obligation on them to maintain roads. I've been trying to get the council to fill two massive 8" deep potholes outside my house for 2 months and they couldnt be bothered. If a cyclist or motorcyclist hits them they will be hurt.

Councils here are only liable for maintenance if an accident is caused as a direct result of work they have recently carried out. In the UK and most countries the county council has a duty to maintain their roads and they are held liable in the event that this does not occur. Changing this law would have a dramatic effect on road safety I would say but it would cost the government money so they wont do it.

The council was just as culpable as the girl in this case but lbc2019 and others like him wouldn't get the same self righteous, endorphin buzz out of berating a faceless government body...

The council didn't fail to stop. I believe in the rule of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Anyway, I tend to agree that the ad is over the top and serves no purpose other than to torment the girl and her family

It serves to highlight that learners should not be driving unaccompanied (If they are competent then they should pass the test, until they pass they are not deemed competent.

Of course she regrets it, anyone would! Others should learn from her mistake.

She made a mistake, I take pity on her.
    Her mistake was driving unaccompanied, the advert may mean that someone else doesn't make the same mistake.

If the council had repaired the wall then perhaps it would have been a collision with with the wall, no way of knowing how severe injuries may or may not have been.
    Regardsless of whether or not it was a factor in the accident, there would be no need for an advert to alert councils of their need to maintain roads etc.

• Advertisement

:eek:

Unaccompanied learner on a motorway doing 174kph

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1085811896169701377

:eek:

Unaccompanied learner on a motorway doing 174kph

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1085811896169701377

Just shy of 110mph in old money,so around 30mph over the limit, silly silly boy. Dangerous driving charge coming his way. You’d expect a ban but mitigation is something else. The justice system need to come down hard on these offenders, but if it’s a juvenile offender (a 17 year old) well say no more as that’s a controversial topic already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Just shy of 110mph in old money,so around 30mph over the limit, silly silly boy. Dangerous driving charge coming his way. You’d expect a ban but mitigation is something else. The justice system need to come down hard on these offenders, but if it’s a juvenile offender (a 17 year old) well say no more as that’s a controversial topic already

He should be lashed out of it. There's an advert on at the moment about unaccompanied drivers, controversial I'll admit. He's bound to have seen it and it doesn't occur to his pea brain to go easy and not draw attention. No sir. He went one better and drove without tax an insurance too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pablo128 wrote: »
    There's an advert on at the moment about unaccompanied drivers, controversial I'll admit.
    that's what this thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

that's what this thread is about.

I've only just twigged that. I thought I was replying to the Garda traffic Twitter thread.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i can't understand why the RSA would pay for the ad to still be going out. Any impact it had is surely lost by now, I must have seen it 50 times.

Isambard wrote: »
    i can't understand why the RSA would pay for the ad to still be going out. Any impact it had is surely lost by now, I must have seen it 50 times.

I'd say it will be running a good while yet though perhaps not as frequently after a while. The previous one of the aftermath of the crash where a drunk driver killed a four year old child is still running now and its been on the go for over a year.

I'd say it will be running a good while yet though perhaps not as frequently after a while. The previous one of the aftermath of the crash where a drunk driver killed a four year old child is still running now and its been on the go for over a year.

Not withstanding Mr Clancy’s loss, his wife was 58 his daughter 22, the parents who lost a 4 year old child are in a much worse position than Mr Clancy, no death is nice, but Clancy experienced things with his daughter that the parents of the 4 year old can only ever dream of now. The ad about that child really hits home, more than the Clancy one which I am undecided on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah come on. He lost his wife, his companion in life, and his daughter too, and he's left alone. I can't imagine what having my whole family ripped away from me would feel like.

Life ain't always empty.

Ah come on. He lost his wife, his companion in life, and his daughter too, and he's left alone. I can't imagine what having my whole family ripped away from me would feel like.

He still has his other daughter and son, so not left alone. I can’t imagine what it must feel like for him ha big come upon the accident and not recognising them initially. A lifetime of counseling wouldn’t even help ease that pain

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

For the same reason that Vodafone pay for the Dermot Bannon ad to still be going out - because it works.

For the same reason that Vodafone pay for the Dermot Bannon ad to still be going out - because it works.

and the proof of that is....?

and the proof of that is....?
    Because every advertiser that has money to spend does it. Do you think Vodafone do it for the craic?

a bit different though for an ongoing sales campaign, A road safety message either gets through or it doesn't . I can't see the point of keep spending money pushing the same message to people who've already seen it multiple times and already taken it onboard or dismissed it. At least with Vodafone there will be people entering the market for a phone, having just broken their own or being dissatisfied with their service provider. I don't think you can apply normal marketing parameters to road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The advert obviously has had some effect, there are people on learner permits here who seem to think that they should drive unaccompanied despite it being illegal for NINE years now. From some of the comments here you would think that it was something new. The only difference now is that the penalties have changed.

Any one on a learner permit who thinks that they are a good driver only has to pass the test and then they no longer need to be accompanied, however since the statistics indicate half of those attempting the test fail, it is obvious that a lot of learners are over estimating their competency.

• Advertisement

a bit different though for an ongoing sales campaign, A road safety message either gets through or it doesn't . I can't see the point of keep spending money pushing the same message to people who've already seen it multiple times and already taken it onboard or dismissed it. At least with Vodafone there will be people entering the market for a phone, having just broken their own or being dissatisfied with their service provider. I don't think you can apply normal marketing parameters to road safety.
    I've no professional experience in the area, but recent referendum campaigns suggest that attitudinal change requires frequent, regular, persistent ongoing contact to work. US political campaigns seem to work on the same basis.

Advertisement