Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA ad on unaccompanied L drivers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

road_high wrote: »
    You know it’s possible to feel for both here. As posters have been at pains to point out but you’ve made the girl the focus of your considerable ire and indeed, vengeance

Vengeance from me? What are you talking about? She did nothing to me.

She doesn't deserve to be 'felt for' though. The courts basically letting her off was enough sympathy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Patww79 wrote: »
    Mercy, compassion, or empathy? For who exactly?

You seem awful worried about the person that caused the deaths rather than the two people she killed or the family she took them from.

Your comments are vile. Almost frightening. You’re wishing torture on a person who made a serious mistake and has been punished for it in a court of law. It must be wonderful to be you. To have never made a mistake.
    What’s great is that others on this thread see your posts for the abomination that they are, and are calling you on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

splinter65 wrote: »
    And he was 40 with a long term job that involved a lot of driving but seemed to be comfortable with drinking 9 pints in the middle of the day. The girl was 21 trying to get practice driving while doing her 12 compulsory lessons.

by driving unaccompanied? And her with the legal qualification...

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Needles73

Mercy, compassion, or empathy? For who exactly?

You seem awful worried about the person that caused the deaths rather than the two people she killed or the family she took them from.

Let’s be very clear. I sympathize with the father without his wife and daughter. But you seem hell bent on punishment. I’m sure the driver involved agonises over what happened. Would you feel the same if it was your son or daughter that was driving ? Would you wish them to agonize over what happened till there last breath.

Pat go back and read your posts. You’re practically foaming at the mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

And they both were in the wrong and killed people.

I see your point as they were both technically in the wrong.

However, when I did my theory test and applied for my full license a number of years ago, I did 3 lessons, passed and that was that.

This woman had done 9 out of 12. If she’d of been in the same boat 7/8 years ago, she could have sat her full test and be fully qualified, driven unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Which the unaccompanied driver drove straight through and took out the other car with such impact to knock it over the bridge into the field...

Their car went through a gap in the wall that was there for years

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You just said in repeated posts you wanted her to wake up daily thinking about what she did. If that’s not vengeance/seeking I’m not sure what is

Needles73 wrote: »
    Let’s be very clear. I sympathize with the father without his wife and daughter. But you seem hell bent on punishment. I’m sure the driver involved agonises over what happened. Would you feel the same if it was your son or daughter that was driving ? Would you wish them to agonize over what happened till there last breath.

You’d need the ability to empathize to do that and I fear it’s sadly lacking here.

Some of the comments on here are vile about the young woman.

She made a massive massive error of judgement that day that she has to live with with for the rest of her days. The fact she knows the family too only adds to it, each morning waking up to it.

Personally, I think there could & should have been other ways the RSA created an ad focusing on unaccompanied drivers. Previously, they’ve used actors, why not in case for unaccompanied drivers.

The ‘real life’ ads focusing on drink drivers I agree with as these drunk drivers know the consequences getting behind the wheel drunk. In this specific case I don’t agree.

Some people believe driving with drink taken isn't a problem, some believe inexperienced drivers driving alone isn't a problem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They were only about a kilometer from home

Is this blind bridge on their land ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

gctest50 wrote: »
    Their car went through a gap in the wall that was there for years

What kind of speed would it take to cause that kind of force?
    I also think the wall was damaged as opposed to a gaping gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

There have been some fairly gruesome road safety up North like the one which showed a class of children being killed a couple of years ago that aired on UTV pretty harrowing stuff. In recent I have noticed a shift away from road safety ads being horror show depicting gruesome scenes of people being killed or seriously injured in crashes but more of a move towards focusing on the personal stories of those who have had lived ones killed in car accidents.

I see your point as they were both technically in the wrong.

However, when I did my theory test and applied for my full license a number of years ago, I did 3 lessons, passed and that was that.

This woman had done 9 out of 12. If she’d of been in the same boat 7/8 years ago, she could have sat her full test and be fully qualified, driven unaccompanied.

You're assuming she'd pass.

She has to do all the lessons again now anyway if she wants to drive when her ban is up

Your comments are vile. Almost frightening. You’re wishing torture on a person who made a serious mistake and has been punished for it in a court of law. It must be wonderful to be you. To have never made a mistake.
    What’s great is that others on this thread see your posts for the abomination that they are, and are calling you on it.

It's nice and all that you're trying to paint a big picture here with a bit of word play, but you could go and take a lie down now before you just start making things up altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

gctest50 wrote: »
    They were only about a kilometer from home

Is this blind bridge on their land ?

Moorepark land as far as I know, open to correction however.

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Some people believe driving with drink taken isn't a problem, some believe inexperienced drivers driving alone isn't a problem...

I think both are an issue, drink driving far worse than driving unaccompanied.

She’s received her punishment, 15 year ban is a long time and a lot to explain. As does the guilt

by driving unaccompanied? And her with the legal qualification...

I don’t know what legal qualification a 21 year old would have and I’m mystified as to how you imagine her qualification would have impacted her driving skills.

Don’t think anyone said that- like eveything , there are degrees of seriousness- an inexperienced driver could actually be an excellent, careful driver and never be a danger.
    However a drink driver is unlikely to be anything but a major hazard such is the effect alcohol has on the senses. Holding a plastic card doesn’t suddenly heighten those same senses however

You just said in repeated posts you wanted her to wake up daily thinking about what she did. If that’s not vengeance/seeking I’m not sure what is

And I'm applying that vengance how? Are you on drugs or something, because I fail to see how I could manage to do that?

Hoping and vengance aren't the same thing. Anyway, if she is thinking of it daily and wants to know who's caused it then she need only get as far as a mirror.

• Advertisement

Yep. No jail time and allowed to continue on as she was. Hopefully she wakes up to the first thought of the two people she killed every single morning though, that would be the very least she deserves.

I’ll just leave this here. There’s a lot of vengeance in this

I don’t know what legal qualification a 21 year old would have and I’m mystified as to how you imagine her qualification would have impacted her driving skills.

She could have had her test and still been involved in that accident. Where’s there’s humans there’ll always be human error regardless of what plastic is in their wallet

She should know its illegal to drive unaccompanied

I’ll just leave this here. There’s a lot of vengeance in this

Try as you might, you can't make that one true. Basically making stuff up at this stage to try conjure a bit of outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Needles73

And I'm applying that vengance how? Are you on drugs or something, because I fail to see how I could manage to do that?

Hoping and vengance aren't the same thing. Anyway, if she is thinking of it daily and wants to know who's caused it then she need only get as far as a mirror.

I’d suggest you take a look in your own mirror and see what’s staring back.

Don’t think anyone said that- like eveything , there are degrees of seriousness- an inexperienced driver could actually be an excellent, careful driver and never be a danger.
    However a drink driver is unlikely to be anything but a major hazard such is the effect alcohol has on the senses. Holding a plastic card doesn’t suddenly heighten those same senses however

You are deemed competent to drive. Its not just a card. She was not deemed competent to drive.

Needles73 wrote: »
    I’d suggest you take a look in your own mirror and see what’s staring back.

Someone who hasn't killed anyone.

Try as you might, you can't make that one true. Basically making stuff up at this stage to try conjure a bit of outrage.

And I quote “Hopefully she wakes up to the first thought of the two people she killed every single morning though, that would be the very least she deserves”

If you can’t see that’s vengeance, you’re delusional Pat

I can assure you I’m not the one on drugs here. As another poster said you’re practically foaming at the mouth with every post. Kind of disturbing reading it

• Advertisement

It's nice and all that you're trying to paint a big picture here with a bit of word play, but you could go and take a lie down now before you just start making things up altogether.

I’m not making anything up at all. Your posts paint a picture of a person totally lacking in any human mercy or even basic empathy. It’s very straightforward. Point to where you have shown even a smidgen of mercy for this young girl?

Advertisement