Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

35 km Xmas day , 74 km two days ago and 40 km today . Trying to fight the turkey early ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

67km today was tough haven't been out loads lately and I threw a few hills in. Hit 3100k for the year that was my best ever most of it since I got the new bike in the summer.

Hope to improve next year a fair bit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

went out today, didn't feel comfortable at any point (very mild flu like symptoms, sore ribs, wind coming from all directions) and never got into a rhythm. did 50 something K, finished and found i'd managed 28km/h average, which really took me by surprise. maybe not being in a comfort zone meant i just had to keep pushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rhetoricman

Heavenly cycle with others to Moll’s Gap, Kilgarvan, Killarney @ 30km/h pace. Was a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

Solo spin out west, glorious morning, like a good spring day, day, calm and mild, even the roads were dry, that's a first for quite some time... 63km @ 28 average

https://www.strava.com/activities/2048157475

• Advertisement

Dragged my ass out of bed after three hours sleep due to an unsettled baby, fireworks and neighbours partying. Thought long and hard about cancelling but made the right call by going for it - second spin in three days, having done nothing but change nappies and eat crap for three months!

Another 75km from Cork to Ballinspittle via Kinsale and back. Lovely calm conditions and very mild for the time of year.

Was blowing out my arse on the hills again but managed around 26.5km ph for what is a pretty hilly spin. Once again, it was depressing to see my brother ease away when he felt like it but hopefully a few more spins and he won't find it so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

new bike's first real spin. Full carbon, ultegra - a massive upgrade from heavy old claris/sora ? set. Hills and drags didn't exist today where before I would have fallen back from the group. Cornering and general handling was so smooth. why didn't I get this years ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

Solo spin to killenagh, ballycanew and Gorey, out old n11 and right turn for Ballymoney, did loop around Tara Hill , bsvjbyi Ballymoney and on to courtown, ballygarret, killenagh and home. 51 km avg 26.5kph

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Doc07

Didn’t escape out of house in time for club spin but managed 90min solo, not too bad for 1st Jan after rare night on the booze last night

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

happy i got out for a spin today - it was nice out to start and was getting dark/misty towards the end.
    got my 1st flat tyre of the year on a bumpy road beside the reservoir at roundwood.
    went up the back road from roundwood to laragh for the 1st time, beautiful scenery up there.

52km. 849m. done at a slowish 21.7km/h which i'm putting down to overfeeding over the last week!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2048804467

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

There's a little stretch in the evenings now on the commute home. A little brighter in the mornings too. I'd say the fine weather made this more prominent though.

It was a little chilly around the lugholes this morning too. I got a PR on the cycle in too. I didn't think it was windy this morning. :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

nice weather this week for commuting, dry not too cold , not much wind. Joined a gym that is on route so in the morning I can do a short 20 min a couple of times a week going in mid journey

A pillock of a cyclist nearly ploughed into me this morning, he came out of Grove park onto Grove road (grand canal) at full speed, only about a second in it, no way could he have stopped or swerved. If you are on Boards you are a pr1ck!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

commute in this morning with a bad cold which hadn't cleared as much as I'd assumed. so there followed 40 mins of hacking and snot blowing the whole way into town :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've been driving in the last couple of weeks and doing a spin before work. It's actually working pretty well, albeit with the traffic being very easy (both getting in, and then on the bike), so will test it over the next few weeks as an option when the commute won't work (I drive so far and then cycle).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

chilly out there this afternoon. uneventful cycle, until literally 100m from my house, my neighbour's dad drove straight out in front of me despite having at least 5, maybe 10 seconds to see me. he pretty much waited until i was level with him to pull out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Finished early today so decided I'd do a loop of the park to kick-start the year in earnest

All going well, nice and relaxed but I finally found what it takes to puncture a Marathon plus and that was a great big share of glass.

Someone smashed one in the cycle lane right at the bottom, luckily I was going uphill . Don't imagine I got it all though so be careful.

Left pumps and tubes at home and in work and for some reason took them out of my bag yesterday. Nursed it to Rothar. Just got them to do it, new one punctured immediately, replaced again and off home I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

silverharp wrote: »
    A pillock of a cyclist nearly ploughed into me this morning .... If you are on Boards you are a pr1ck!

Couldn't possibly have been a cyclist (and even if it was, they certainly don't frequent this parish):D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

silverharp wrote: »
    .... If you are on Boards you are a pr1ck!
    So if he's not on Boards, he's not a prick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

So if he's not on Boards, he's not a prick?

Schrödingers prick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I was cycling through Rathfarnham into town this morning, at the lights at the bottom of the hill between Rathfarnham & Terenure Villages, I was going straight but would be taking the next right towards the High school, so naturally I got into the right lane & booted it up the hill. Got blasted out of it & close passed (in the right lane) by a twat in a people carrier who was going straight.. One of the ones I really wanted to catch up with & have a chat with, but alas he was in the wrong lane so we were going different directions.

I got to work happy after my otherwise nice cycle. I'm sure he was still fuming after the selfishness of me going that little bit slower than he was while both of us made the lights..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Just over 25k today, feeling Like I have more power during cycle now. Made a couple of adjustments to saddle and bar height. Trying to get the bike dialled in. Feeling more comfortable:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Finally got to fix my puncture today after a comedy of failures getting a replacement schrader connector (LBS closed when they should have been open, long walk to another not-so-local bike shop that didn't have and wanted to sell me an expensive floor pump, an Amazon order that never arrived and was cancelled/refunded). LBS was open today. I'm looking forward to getting out tomorrow - it's been too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Gerry

Great commute yesterday, reckoned grand canal Greenway would be safe early in the morning before the denizens are out of the scratcher. And it was. Slight issue at the start as I went straight up to adamstown but for some reason the Greenway is still not finished here. There was some loose stone and barriers to be negotiated. On the way home took phoenix park instead of knockmaroon hill and then strawberry beds, then joined the royal canal at the rcag boathouse. Really enjoyable challenge on a road bike. Not so convinced of the grand canal Greenway, it's quite boring but safe.

https://strava.app.link/D3iGMYCkdT
    https://strava.app.link/Yyb8gVvkdT

Going to try doing full royal canal commute next week, on 29er mountain bike most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

best van driver in a long time, me cycling grand canal in cycle lane, van chugs up behind but not aggressive and doesnt seem to want to overtake, me after a few seconds cycles over to the drain side of the cycle lane, van passes with plenty of clearance of the whole lane and flashes his rear lights, i give him a wave....rare!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Gerry

I have noticed that, weirdly, drivers tend to be on the careful side on the grand canal. Maybe the sheer numbers of cyclists along there have made drivers think?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Lovely nippy morning. Std 25+k, but pushed a bit. 1 New pr up Falti hill. Wore full gloves for the first time in ages, also leggings and overshoes a must. Yesterday toes were numb without overshoes. Also managed to break the 28km avg 28.1:-) Feeling energised...

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Nice Double Gap - Very cold coming into Laragh with some patchy places of frost - 115k with 1500 climbing

Absolutely knackered so going for a lie down now - but great being able to get out so early in the year for a spin that would normally be closed off due to ice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

Much cooler this morning, but great that it's dry... 63km @ 27 avg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2057013227

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

Club spin, straight out to Baltinglass from Tallaght, back to Blessington, manor Kilbride and home. 105 km avg 28kph
    Came across an old cycling buddy on way out and got him to jump on, we also towed him back to blessington , nice to see him again, :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was cycling through Rathfarnham into town this morning, at the lights at the bottom of the hill between Rathfarnham & Terenure Villages, I was going straight but would be taking the next right towards the High school, so naturally I got into the right lane & booted it up the hill. Got blasted out of it & close passed (in the right lane) by a twat in a people carrier who was going straight.. One of the ones I really wanted to catch up with & have a chat with, but alas he was in the wrong lane so we were going different directions.

I got to work happy after my otherwise nice cycle. I'm sure he was still fuming after the selfishness of me going that little bit slower than he was while both of us made the lights..

I was driving earlier and there was a cyclist in the bus lane, he looked over his shoulder briefly and then indicated that he was coming into my lane, so I hung back and let him pull in in front of me. Amazingly, we both made the next lights. He took the lane after we turned and I sat back behind him. Amazingly, when I got to the red light up ahead I ended up behind the same car I was behind before he pulled in in front of me. I lost a total of zero seconds.:eek: From cycling, I never thought cars were able to do this hang back thing? I thought by default you would get held up by minutes from being behind a cyclist for 500m???? :confused::confused::confused:

Sorry, bit off topic but felt this story was a nice response to yours. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement