Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

OSI wrote: »
    Surprised they have the time. Apparently they’re soooooo busy they can’t even take phone calls and have to update my Mam via text message that her car will be 2 weeks late because their yard is just too full with all the new cars they’ve sold to take delivery of any more :rolleyes:

Is it going to take two weeks to start clearing space in the yard. I doubt it.

This is one of these messy situations where your gut feeling screams insane sloppiness and incompetence.

Yet you will be told that you must be reasonable to the dealer and give him time.

Where does "the dealer should have known how many cars he was getting in for January - how long it would take with his staff level to get through the cars" fit into this.

Would be far better if a more accurate delivery slot was given from the off.

If the car may not come until 20th of January was the timeline from the start - you and your mam would be happier with that.

Vs your mam though she was going to be in a 191 this week but now isn't. That's a disappointment before she's even seen the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Big difference between a Type R and a tucson though.

I didn't mention Hyundai, I was using that kind of thing as a general example :)
    Big Nasty wrote: »
    That's what you get for having your photo taken on a dealer forecourt in Japan - oh wait!
    This was before all the Facebook malark (I've had it a while)

You know what I mean though, anything that makes it easier to find a car and it's owner is a bad thing.
    That includes car sites as well as Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

OSI wrote: »
    Surprised they have the time. Apparently they’re soooooo busy they can’t even take phone calls and have to update my Mam via text message that her car will be 2 weeks late because their yard is just too full with all the new cars they’ve sold to take delivery of any more :rolleyes:

Which dealer? I know for certain our yard is very full!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

CIP4 wrote: »
    A lot of the dealers have pics up on FB of people collecting their new 191 cars today. There was one of a guy collecting a 191 A4 he looked even younger than me it was an S-Line kind of an unusual dark blue colour haven’t seen it before.
    Your protege?
    Tell him he needs a seat next?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think all dealers yards are jammers this time of year.

Old diesel has it nailed tbh. It's fairly incompetent to send a text saying it's delayed foe a fortnight due to "lack of space".

We're they not expecting a big rush of cars the first week in January or what? The right thing would have been to have said delivery in week 2 or 3 or whatever from the get to and there would probably have been no issue.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't post the exact location, you wouldn't want thieves to know the location of a cluster of cars, they could nick them!

I think all dealers yards are jammers this time of year.

Old diesel has it nailed tbh. It's fairly incompetent to send a text saying it's delayed foe a fortnight due to "lack of space".

We're they not expecting a big rush of cars the first week in January or what? The right thing would have been to have said delivery in week 2 or 3 or whatever from the get to and there would probably have been no issue.

The issue is that sometimes a salesman forgets that trade-ins will take up the extra space and outside buys!

We have two huge external yards too, and both filled between both our sites!

The issue is that sometimes a salesman forgets that trade-ins will take up the extra space and outside buys!

We have two huge external yards too, and both filled between both our sites!
    Sounds like you guys need to rustle up some business for the trade ins too, January (and July now) are the peak months for car sales, can't imagine garages want to be sitting on stock for too long.

It's always interesting to see the amount of posters who work for or own garages that post on here. I love cars but couldnt ever work in the motor trade. Too many cockwomble customers wanting the latest crap on PCP with windy windows and steel wheels just for the 191 plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

ELM327 wrote: »
    Sounds like you guys need to rustle up some business for the trade ins too, January (and July now) are the peak months for car sales, can't imagine garages want to be sitting on stock for too long.

That's a bit facetious, that's like telling Smyths they need to sell more toys because the shop floors are jammed in December.

It's always interesting to see the amount of posters who work for or own garages that post on here. I love cars but couldnt ever work in the motor trade. Too many cockwomble customers wanting the latest crap on PCP with windy windows and steel wheels just for the 191 plate.

I don't think you've realised that you can't sell a used car until it actually comes in...

• Advertisement

The thing is, not many people want that, from what I can see anyway there has been a shift in the last few years on that. I don't work in an area related to sales but in the last meeting I was in where salesmen were yaking, a big point they were making is that they were struggling to sell low spec cars, nobody wants them.

They would be a lot more cautious taking in LX, ambition, trendline etc trade ins as they are hard to sell again. Obviously when selling new they will supply what they are asked to supply but even then, the masses seem to want good looking cars with the latest tech. Maybe not everyone wants a fully loaded car but by and large not many will tolerate hubcaps, keep fit windows or that type of craic anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Stickers are the first thing that are removed whenever I've bought a car

Also wouldn't be letting someone stick photos up of me and the new car. I don't even do Facebook for myself

Actually, can you tell then to remove them before you collecting your car? My one is plastered in that crap, but I did not payed much attention to it. For my next one, I would like not to have any. Or they can pay me for advertising :pac:

I don't think you've realised that you can't sell a used car until it actually comes in...
    Suppose. Logistical problems you don't come across if you're not "in the trade"
    That's a bit facetious, that's like telling Smyths they need to sell more toys because the shop floors are jammed in December.
    It's hardly facetious. Merely an observation. It's not akin to telling retailers to operate above max power for the year based on one month of excessive sales. More like trying to shift and plateau demand and supply. I'm working on "operational efficiency and streamlining" at the moment and I guess I jumped ahead.

Apologies if I've stepped on anyone's toes lads. Mea Culpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

This got me thinking, I heard of someone recently talking about the "archaic HP used to be the norm"

Doesn't HP still exist, I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This got me thinking, I heard of someone recently talking about the "archaic HP used to be the norm"

Doesn't HP still exist, I thought?

It does, but its almost like dealers always try to make it less appealing. Usually it has a lot higher apr and going pcp even you plan buying it out males more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The thing is, not many people want that, from what I can see anyway there has been a shift in the last few years on that. I don't work in an area related to sales but in the last meeting I was in where salesmen were yaking, a big point they were making is that they were struggling to sell low spec cars, nobody wants them.

They would be a lot more cautious taking in LX, ambition, trendline etc trade ins as they are hard to sell again. Obviously when selling new they will supply what they are asked to supply but even then, the masses seem to want good looking cars with the latest tech. Maybe not everyone wants a fully loaded car but by and large not many will tolerate hubcaps, keep fit windows or that type of craic anymore.

I think the influx of higher spec UK cars on the used car market too over the last decade or so has given the average Irish car owner bit of a hunger for more than just the bare essentials these days.

Regarding PCP, I think I read somewhere that manufacturers were pushing the higher spec models on PCP deals too as there wasn't too much difference in the monthly repayment costs between a base spec and mid/high spec model. For example VW were offering Highline Golfs with Tech packs and dealer incentives for not much more than a Baseline Golf. I wonder had that anything to do with better resale values which in turn meant more equity and eagerness for rolling over to the next PCP deal?

I'd agree that Irish consumer habits have changed, I'd imagine the likes of a used baseline Golf would be difficult enough to sell these days with the healthy choice in Highline models on dealer forecourts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

According to Autocar, the forthcoming 2er GranCoupé seems to be coming with rear wheel drive!

Not only that, but there will be an M2 GranCoupé, which will have - hallelujah - a six cylinder engine:D! In the 2er range, it was only supposed to be the Coupé that was retaining correct wheel drive - the GC was meant to be wrong wheel drive. Will be interesting to see what happens because there are spy shots of the 2GC which appear to show the 2 GC will be from the front wheel drive platform as was originally intended and no full fat ///M version.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-m2-gran-coupe-due-year-365bhp-rival-rs3-saloon

It seems to be pretty much confirmed that the next M3 will still be available with a manual gearbox and rear wheel drive - but there will be automatic available on the RWD model, while there will also be a 4WD version that will be automatic only (it will have the M5 4WD system, so possible to have it running as RWD only). Will be quite a departure from previous M3s if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Took the E46 outfit a spin tonight. Such a nice car to drive, really smooth and comfortable and not a single rattle squeak from it and plenty of creature conforts too. I find it crazy that what in my opinion is such a nice car is worth sweet feck all in this country. Tax and insurance to blame of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Took the E46 outfit a spin tonight. Such a nice car to drive, really smooth and comfortable and not a single rattle squeak from it and plenty of creature conforts too. I find it crazy that what in my opinion is such a nice car is worth sweet feck all in this country. Tax and insurance to blame of course.

I totally agree, they're such an enjoyable car to drive - engine, gearbox, steering, road holding, handling, brakes, control weights - everything about them should make anyone who enjoys driving smile when they're behind the wheel of one. They really knew what they were doing when they made these cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Future classic for sure. Right time to snap one up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Great day for the parish
    4-BA7-C7-EB-5-E5-B-4-ADF-B165-54-F32-E75-C4-C7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I'm about 7K KMS behind ya!

Saw the new Octavia in some car mag in Tesco earlier. Nice looking bus, looks like a saloon but it’s a hatch. Will def sell to traditional Jetta/Avensis buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Saw the new Octavia in some car mag in Tesco earlier. Nice looking bus, looks like a saloon but it’s a hatch. Will def sell to traditional Jetta/Avensis buyers.

If the auto bild video I just saw is the real styling of the car then it looks very promising.

Especially the combi although the one on video has more of a Lexus IS gen 1 sportcross vibe about it - ie more of a big hatchback then a proper estate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Great day for the parish

Should pass the 50k km mark tomorrow on the A4 will take me a while to get too the 250k mark :pac:

Any major work done to get the Honda that far Colm or has it been a breeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Something like this I suppose: https://youtu.be/bxizW8Lmkl4?t=2 :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

CIP4 wrote: »
    Should pass the 50k km mark tomorrow on the A4 will take me a while to get too the 250k mark :pac:

Your halfway to it needing to be scrapped at that rate.

I swear, I’ve never seen anything like it for not needing anything since the mothers Corolla in the 90s. Front shocks and drop links and an aircon relay - that’s it apart from brake discs/pads and regular service stuff. Everything else is factory. Battery was changed 2 years ago.

That said I did run low on coolant earlier in the week, so there’s something up. It’s not noticibly losing any since but I’m gonna give it a good look tomorrow.

I’m hoping to upgrade soon but want it to be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I swear, I’ve never seen anything like it for not needing anything since the mothers Corolla in the 90s. Front shocks and drop links and an aircon relay - that’s it apart from brake discs/pads and regular service stuff. Everything else is factory. Battery was changed 2 years ago.

That said I did run low on coolant earlier in the week, so there’s something up. It’s not noticibly losing any since but I’m gonna give it a good look tomorrow.

I’m hoping to upgrade soon but want it to be right.

Mine was similar, had it for years (ended up around 205k) and the only thing that failed on me was a brake caliper.

Different engine of course, the 1.4, but it still didn't complain even once.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement