Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Some people are just assholes.

As are those that take up two spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wailin wrote: »

Badamtoosh.....

I was in a multi-story car park at the weekend and came across a parking bay with 3 spaces. Some "asshole" driving an Audi had parked in the middle of the 3 spaces, but at such an angle that the 2 spaces either side where unusable. Ended up driving around for 20 minutes until someone moved off :mad:

So yeah, taking up more than one space to save your car is feckin acting the gowl :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'm on both sides of the parking space thing.

I like my car to be ding free, so will park it away from others, and did take up two spaces in the Type R a few times, but at the other end of the car park and never when it was busy.

If you do it in a packed car park then you're a sap. Or you drive an Audi :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

When carpark is empty in the back and everyone is too lazy to walk few extra steps, so they cluster the entrance.

If it means my car is dent free, then I will take a badge of asshole as an honour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was in a multi-story car park at the weekend and came across a parking bay with 3 spaces. Some "asshole" driving an Audi had parked in the middle of the 3 spaces, but at such an angle that the 2 spaces either side where unusable. Ended up driving around for 20 minutes until someone moved off :mad:

So yeah, taking up more than one space to save your car is feckin acting the gowl :p

Was it red? That was me!:D:D

Truckermal wrote: »
    Was it red? That was me!:D:D

Asshole :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Asshole :D

Well I normally take up 15 spaces on the job so 3 don't seem bad....:D:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I've never taken up two spaces but I've been sorely tempted. The amount of times I find someone parking near me when I've deliberately parked away from everyone (so nobody will ding my car) os ridiculous. At this stage I just do shopping on my way home from work when I'm travelling by bus so that's reducing the odds of being dinged significantly. Just because I've got a 16 year old car doesn't mean I don't care about it or give someone else the right to ding it.

A young lad in work was telling me he made up a fake person with 10 years NCB and changed ownership of his car to said fake person.
    Then he insured the fake person and once he had the disk he rang them up and added himself as a named driver !
    He even had to produce the cert after a checkpoint and all was fine.........
    What happens if you need to make a claim as a named driver?
    Does the policy holder need to be involved?
    If the fake driver lost his NCB he wouldn't mind at all would he!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

A young lad in work was telling me he made up a fake person with 10 years NCB and changed ownership of his car to said fake person.
    Then he insured the fake person and once he had the disk he rang them up and added himself as a named driver !

He's not insured at all would be my thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Yea he might as well have just purchased insurance and cancelled it as soon as the disc & cert came.

Policyholder needs to exist in order for policy to be valid, or to make a claim.

It's also fraud.

And a really shite scam

He's not insured at all would be my thinking?

Oh I would have thought that too but really he has no way of being found unless he makes a claim.
    thankfully he has no car at the moment

Policyholder needs to exist in order for policy to be valid, or to make a claim.

Yea but he won't have to worry about getting stopped at a checkpoint.
    I've a feeling this is a common trick .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yea but he won't have to worry about getting stopped at a checkpoint.
    I've a feeling this is a common trick .
    Wont have to worry about being stopped as the car is insured, and he has ostensibly valid insurance when producing at a station.

I suspect this is on low value cars and TPFT so it won't be found unless he's in an accident. Even then, he could call as named driver on the policy to make a claim. Depending on how thorough the insurance company is, it may not even be found then!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Any time Ive changed insurance they've wanted a copy of each persons licence that on the policy.

Smells like a story made of waffles.

Oh I would have thought that too but really he has no way of being found unless he makes a claim.

I've just thought of something too... I've been asked a few times at various checkpoints throughout the years who owns the car and how long they've had it (I know, a bit strange to ask how long the other person has had the car but in most of these scenarios I would know when the vehicle was transferred over)

The would have that information up in a flash: I remember being stopped in Portarsington in a friends Xantia, they were able to tell me the remainder of his address before I could finish it off myself!

How would it fare out if he said the car belongs to someone who was probably named after his pet :p

I've just thought of something too... I've been asked a few times at various checkpoints throughout the years who owns the car and how long they've had it (I know, a bit strange to ask how long the other person has had the car but in most of these scenarios I would know when the vehicle was transferred over)

The would have that information up in a flash: I remember being stopped in Portarsington in a friends Xantia, they were able to tell me the remainder of his address before I could finish it off myself!

How would it fare out if he said the car belongs to someone who was probably named after his pet :p

In my younger days I may have done exactly that. :o
    Ah the foolhardiness of youth.
    However I was never asked when they bought the car etc, and I produced insurance (3rd party extension) which was validated at the garda station after I was stopped at a checkpoint.

morritty wrote: »
    Any time Ive changed insurance they've wanted a copy of each persons licence that on the policy.

Generally, but not always

I've never been asked for ID when taking out a policy,
    I think you are the one full of waffles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Similar here. And for any new policies, a copy of the no claims cert had to be provided

• Advertisement

Then he insured the fake person and once he had the disk he rang them up and added himself as a named driver !.............

I'd not believe a word of that.
    Fair enough they may not request driver license but I'd be amazed if the proof on NCB was overlooked as a requirement.

That further convinces me his story is total waffle.

Similar here. And for any new policies, a copy of the no claims cert had to be provided

Good point,

Augeo wrote: »

That further convinces me his story is total waffle.

Yea I must have imagined him driving last month,
    Thanks Augeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Question for you gents:

I got pulled at Christmas, the guard at the time never gave me my license back but he's adamant now that he did and there is no getting through to anyone at the station to argue my case.

I got a fine and points for my troubles and the fine needs to be paid by the 17th. Went to pay it this morning but they wouldn't take payment without my license. If I applied for a new one in the next few days will it be out before the 17th? Is there anything else I could do in the meantime to get it paid ASAP?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

I've never been asked for ID when taking out a policy,
    I think you are the one full of waffles
    Em, it was just my experience. I'm sure it's not waffle. And you've had your experiences, I'm sure you're telling the truth. But whatever, If you want to believe your friend who's driving uninsured. that's cool with me.

Question for you gents:

I got pulled at Christmas, the guard at the time never gave me my license back but he's adamant now that he did and there is no getting through to anyone at the station to argue my case.

I got a fine and points for my troubles and the fine needs to be paid by the 17th. Went to pay it this morning but they wouldn't take payment without my license. If I applied for a new one in the next few days will it be out before the 17th? Is there anything else I could do in the meantime to get it paid ASAP?
    I doubt you'd be able to get a replacement license in 7 days including a weekend. Where do you apply for a replacement one? If you can do it at the council or motor tax office in person perhaps you could get it that day, if you explain the extenuating circumstances.

If not, I would keep a record of when you went to pay but were refused as this may end up going to court (by default if you do not produce/pay a FCPN the case automatically goes to court)

Same here. The only time I haven't been asked for NCB or licenses is for a new classic policy, they then asked was I member of a vintage club yet didn't ask for proof of it! However that's a completely different box of frogs... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

ELM327 wrote: »
    I doubt you'd be able to get a replacement license in 7 days including a weekend. Where do you apply for a replacement one? If you can do it at the council or motor tax office in person perhaps you could get it that day, if you explain the extenuating circumstances.

If not, I would keep a record of when you went to pay but were refused as this may end up going to court (by default if you do not produce/pay a FCPN the case automatically goes to court)

I have a form from the NDLS site that needs to be stamped by a guard and then sent off - but I can't find any reference to how long it'll take etc. I was thinking of bringing the stamped form to the post office and explaining the situation but they didn't really want to hear what I had to say this morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

I have a form from the NDLS site that needs to be stamped by a guard and then sent off - but I can't find any reference to how long it'll take etc. I was thinking of bringing the stamped form to the post office and explaining the situation but they didn't really want to hear what I had to say this morning..

Did you have to provide details of your license when taking out insurance or have you hired a car recently , if so then the number might be online somewhere and be retrievable.

• Advertisement

Same here. The only time I haven't been asked for NCB or licenses is for a new classic policy, they then asked was I member of a vintage club yet didn't ask for proof of it! However that's a completely different box of frogs... :P

For my classic policies I told them I was a member of 2 classic car clubs. Boards Classic Car forum and the Facebook classic cars ireland club. This was accepted (and club member discount given) without question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement