Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote: »
    Aye. You buy exciting cars to drive like front wheel drive volkswagens ;)

Haven't driven a VW in a few years but then again I never claimed I drove really exciting cars, just cars that interest me and I enjoy, where the main point isn't how cheap they are to run or how little depreciation they suffer. Again it's all relevant, plug in cars just don't interest me at this time no matter how cost free they are to run at present. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Happy Christmas lads and ladies, hope ye have a better motoring 2019 than I had '18 :pac: 2019 at least should start off very well for the 540 and then hurling down the expensive route not long after :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Happy Christmas all, hope Santa has been good to ye and the motoring Gods look after ye next year as well. My favourite part of this forum for some time has been the photo thread, some of ye have some seriously impressive machinery, long may people continue to post photos of their pride and joy, I love seeing what cars the rest of ye have got.

I saw a good few boardsies cars this year in the flesh, and hopefully next year I will get to see some more in the flesh. On a more personal note, my 325 is still off the road so I'm looking forward to having it back next year as well :pac:!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This new year I'll be in a new house and will need a new suitable motor.

I need good mpg, comfort, cruise control a must, auto would be nice but not essential.

I can live with something bland for a while but would like something a little bit extra eventually.

I don't have a huge budget but it should be around €4k hopefully less if can get something suitable.

Any ideas.

I've been looking at so many now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I need good mpg, comfort, cruise control a must, auto would be nice but not essential.

I can live with something bland for a while but would like something a little bit extra eventually.

I don't have a huge budget but it should be around €4k hopefully less if can get something suitable.

Any ideas.

pricey enough but still would

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-bmw-530d-e39-msport/20528109

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »

I doubt the motor tax on that will suit :)

Interslice wrote: »

Would love it but want away from high tax for now.

Need something able for the long run.

Nice car but too many miles for the money IMO, plus I'd much prefer a petrol one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Any ideas.

Volvo all the way. I do 110km a day round commute and my Volvo wasn't replaced recently as I simply couldnt get something as comparably comfortable.

Volvo S40 2.0d auto:

ODQ5NjExZTlkMmQyM2Y3NjYzNGZlZTVjOThiYjkyZGQ3SRVdUmT_lQCRwbgTAj6kaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTQzNzQ2ODJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-2009-mint-condition/20044819

Looks very clean and I'm sure there would be movement on that asking price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bazz26 wrote: »
    Volvo S40 2.0d auto:

ODQ5NjExZTlkMmQyM2Y3NjYzNGZlZTVjOThiYjkyZGQ3SRVdUmT_lQCRwbgTAj6kaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTQzNzQ2ODJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-2009-mint-condition/20044819

Looks very clean and I'm sure there would be movement on that asking price.

I enquired about that in November. Dealer took it as a trade and it is allegedly clean as a whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The EV thing and saving costs.....

Hyundai Ioniqs are well regarded in the EV community for good efficiency and having superior battery cooling vs for example the Leaf.

They are fairly rare on the used market due to low supply as new cars from Hyundai. So yes it's possible Unkle will see the 23 k sale price if he wanted to sell.

It's not as if 2 euro a tank is all EVs have going for them either.

1) they are silent in terms of no engine noise etc.

2) great torque from 0 rpm .

3) effortless drive in traffic.

4) they don't actually need or use a lot of the troublesome parts that go wrong on ICE cars.

Speaking of Teslas, I sat in one the other day. They look fantastic, inside and out, and most of the interior materials feel suitably plush, wasn't expecting that at all. The door panels, leather and steering wheel all feel suitably posh. I love the way the door handles pull out and some of the other touches. Apparently the one I was in can do 280 miles between charges, not bad at all.

The touch screen would drive me mental though, I could see that being distracting on the move. The indicator and wiper stalks feel cheaper than the ones on a poverty spec Yaris.

Also, there are all the things Tesla won't let you do to the car, plus Elon Musk himself is such an obnoxious individual. I really hate people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Their build quality is a bit poor though if you look up close. Paint defects, very poor panel gaps, glass not installed square etc as a result of their efforts to ramp up production

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I may be alone here but they're mostly fugly IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah they aren't at all good looking but at least they can say it's for the benefit of aerodynamics.

The few I've been in the I thought the interior felt very mediocre in terms of fit and finish. If it wasn't for the 42" wide screen telly beat into the dash you could be sitting in anything at all.

I went into it wanting to come back saying that I hated it, and that only wealthy hippies/eco-mentalists/virtue signallers/people with more money than sense would think it's in any way OK inside, but honestly, I couldn't.

I had a good poke around it and pressed a good few buttons and switches to see if I could find fault, and bar the nasty indicator stalks I couldn't see anything low rent. The sunvisors didn't feel fantastic but they didn't feel cheap either. The leather felt every bit as plush as in any other premium make car, which again surprised me as I had heard the leather they use is dire.

They have a dreadful reputation reliability wise, and on point of principle I would still never buy one, but they do feel premium and futuristic inside, and I can see why people buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I liked this video. Clearly they are still not where they need to be with quality control, but they do have a great product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

OSI wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen a car age visually as fast as the Model S has.

Mk1 insignia still holds that mantle for me

OSI wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen a car age visually as fast as the Model S has.

Indeed.....and if you see a fair few of them they look as bland as an ole Mazda 6 or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Is it pretty much a definite that unless Brexit is reversed that buying cars in the UK will require VAT on top of VRT ?
    Was considering buying e90 330i or d after I return from Australia but don't want to get my hopes up.

There will be 10% customs duties as well unless there is a free trade deal to get rid of the WTO tariff on cars. But we will still have to pay VAT once they leave no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

There will be 10% customs duties as well unless there is a free trade deal to get rid of the WTO tariff on cars. But we will still have to pay VAT once they leave no matter what.

Not strictly true. Vat on cars registered before Brexit day will have VAT already paid in the EU so shouldn't be charged again. Of course, currently it's not public what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Not strictly true. Vat on cars registered before Brexit day will have VAT already paid in the EU so shouldn't be charged again. Of course, currently it's not public what will happen.

But there’s no provision in law to facilitate that and no expectation of a change at this stage - VAT will arise on an importation from a third country (non-EU/EEA) and there is no practical arrangement to put in place to facilitate what you contemplate. Other than for motor vehicles which have always been operated by VAT registered traders, no VAT is carried in an invoice for s private sale. Realistically, I think this will not be facilitated. VAT qualifying cars will be if more interest in The U.K. as the VAT can be recovered on export.

I guess the only thing is that in the short term, if there is no deal sterling will lose so much value it will compensate a substantial portion of the VAT and customs duties. We're in unchartered territory here once they leave, but it will almost certainly be much more expensive to bring in cars after they leave.

So is anyone taking bets on what colour Ford Focus our man in Laois will get on January 1st 2019, this year?

Red again?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

My bet's on blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

bazz26 wrote: »
    So is anyone taking bets on what colour Ford Focus our man in Laois will get on January 1st 2019, this year?

Red again?

50 says he goes mad altogether and gets a Dacia

50 says he goes mad altogether and gets a Dacia

No a Mustang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Is the humble E34 starting to rocket in value? This clean looking 1988 example is asking €3650 for a VRT impending UK bog spec (4 x elec windows opposed to windy) 2.0 (129bhp FURY so no fancy vented discs) with no mention of usual E34 prerequisites such as jacking points/fuel lines/subframe mounts/wiper clonk and in this case the t belt being done. No pic of the toolkit either and is marked as a bargain!

Just to be a picky hoor, original throughout must have missed the flat wipers (and yes, I have the original BMW spoiler wiper on mine ;))

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement