Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Aww look at this!
    https://youtu.be/VxeslTCGjaU

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

This one lives up the road from me, 1976 and 1 owner from new. Same gent is actually driving it since 1976

IMG_3582_zps6fd3bgqz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Buddy of mine has a 93 Astra from 3 years old and it's still his daily driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Truckermal wrote: »
    Buddy of mine has a 93 Astra from 3 years old and it's still his daily driver!

Is it a maroon coloured one on UK plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This one lives up the road from me, 1976 and 1 owner from new. Same gent is actually driving it since 1976
    There's another auld lad driving an orange one around Glasnevin, see it often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Is it a maroon coloured one on UK plates?

No on C plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nixonbot wrote: »
    There's another auld lad driving an orange one around Glasnevin, see it often.

This rare 1300S Power Pack is near me too, has been in the one family since new but two owners

45700498765_7232a3595e_c.jpg

And this too, but I've never seen it move

31673808527_5fea2f88c1_c.jpg

I'll stop now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I wonder will BMW do the same for me my aul 3er.

Lovely video. Porsche will do something similar as will Land Rover but charge something like a few hundred thousand for the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I kinda feel they ruined the car though by fitting all the accessories. It was very cool at the start with the faded paint, you just knew it was a workhorse.
    I’m sure they did an A1 job restoring it though. The main thing is the owner seemed delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Anyone else hear about these. Heard the story off a few people I heard they were bought as company cars and then the company went bust and owner died not sure how much truth there is to it though.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/11-unused-e34-bmw-5-series-have-been-unearthed-in-bulgaria/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

CIP4 wrote: »
    Anyone else hear about these. Heard the story off a few people I heard they were bought as company cars and then the company went bust and owner died not sure how much truth there is to it though.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/11-unused-e34-bmw-5-series-have-been-unearthed-in-bulgaria/

BMW, Bulgaria. Storage. I pass ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This rare 1300S Power Pack is near me too, has been in the one family since new but two owners

I'll stop now!

This today:

WelfGs2.jpg

Phoenix Park visitor centre, it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,119 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Heading to the US (Texas) next Saturday for 8 days. Mostly a business trip which includes car rental but hoping to do a bit of sightseeing/road trip. The rental company usually gives our company a free upgrade if available so hope to get something a little more interesting than your standard Camry or Fusion. A Camaro or Challenger would be a nice treat if the luggage fits in the boot.

I have to say the more I drive Autos the more I like them. The S-Tronic is just so quick effortless and smooth you especially notice it around town. I was always a big manual fanboy and while I still do enjoy driving a manual I think with newer autos you just can’t go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think the influx of higher spec UK cars on the used car market too over the last decade or so has given the average Irish car owner bit of a hunger for more than just the bare essentials these days.

Regarding PCP, I think I read somewhere that manufacturers were pushing the higher spec models on PCP deals too as there wasn't too much difference in the monthly repayment costs between a base spec and mid/high spec model. For example VW were offering Highline Golfs with Tech packs and dealer incentives for not much more than a Baseline Golf. I wonder had that anything to do with better resale values which in turn meant more equity and eagerness for rolling over to the next PCP deal?

I'd agree that Irish consumer habits have changed, I'd imagine the likes of a used baseline Golf would be difficult enough to sell these days with the healthy choice in Highline models on dealer forecourts.

+1 UK imports definitely have shown people that the options book isnt to be ignored anymore, any time Ive sold a car I have always got people saying 'i was going to look at another one but this one has all the bits on it' Also means the 3 year old ones coming back can actually compete with the UK imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I have to say the more I drive Autos the more I like them. The S-Tronic is just so quick effortless and smooth you especially notice it around town. I was always a big manual fanboy and while I still do enjoy driving a manual I think with newer autos you just can’t go wrong.

So the 191 is an Auto ;)

Autosport wrote: »
    So the 191 is an Auto ;)

There will be no 191 I have to be good :pac: I only have the A4 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Auto is a must now unless it's a weekend or fun car. They are faster, more efficient and easier to drive, what's not to like? I didn't warm to a DSG box like your S tronic as much as I thought I would though. On paper it's better than a torque converter with quicker changes but I found I noticed it wasn't as smooth as I hoped. I had one in the golf for 20k miles and I prefer to lose a hundredth of a second in shift times for a smoother shift. On our 2nd ZF8 box in this house and can't fault it, really works well. Interesting the new M5 has moved away from a twin clutch set up as well, but not sure on all the reasons behind that. Possibly torque limitation on their DCT, but wouldn't be surprised if it's just because it's smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Never drive a Megane auto so, horrendous gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There will be no 191 I have to be good :pac: I only have the A4 12 months.
    I see, you're playing the long game, waiting for the deals for 192 reg :cool::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Never drive a Megane auto so, horrendous gearbox.

Austin Metro 1.3 auto for misery :D

Wonder if there was ever a Maestro diesel auto... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Austin Metro 1.3 auto for misery :D

Wonder if there was ever a Maestro diesel auto... :eek:
    There wasn't, afaik anyway.
    You can however get an automatic Yema F12, a 21st century car built on the maestro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

ELM327 wrote: »
    There wasn't, afaik anyway.
    You can however get an automatic Yema F12, a 21st century car built on the maestro.

Oh my goodness :D 333 for life with this machine, I can't imagine CO2 based would be too handy on the pocket! :D:D

yema_sqj6450_prototype.JPG?w=600

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Jaaag died shortly before Christmas, of pulmonary ventricle ossification induced by a failed head-gasket, after giving me a troublesome and expensive few months. So I scrapped it and bought a clean, straight, black 2011 Ford Focus 1.6 Style TDCi 110 (I think I got that right) with 100,000 kosher miles on it for €5,800. I am delighted. It is solid, handsome, pleasant to drive and to live with generally, has sufficient poke to be going on with, runs on farts, and costs a mere €200 per year to tax. I think I should have joined the real world a couple of years ago. :pac:

ELM327 wrote: »
    I see, you're playing the long game, waiting for the deals for 192 reg :cool::pac:

Haha no point in me pretending I have a plan when it comes to cars as I never do :pac:
    jimgoose wrote: »
    The Jaaag died shortly before Christmas, of pulmonary ventricle ossification induced by a failed head-gasket, after giving me a troublesome and expensive few months. So I scrapped it and bought a clean, straight, black 2011 Ford Focus 1.6 Style TDCi 110 (I think I got that right) with 100,000 kosher miles on it for €5,800. I am delighted. It is solid, handsome, pleasant to drive and to live with generally, has sufficient poke to be going on with, runs on farts, and costs a mere €200 per year to tax. I think I should have joined the real world a couple of years ago. :pac:

I still have nightmares about my 2007 one although to be fair I think that one had a few secrets in the closet and also they worked out many of the kinks by 2011 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just service it right and them 1.6 PSA engines are great.

If doing long runs that's what they like but short runs kills them quite literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,119 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I often wonder are some people born dumb or do they strive to become dumb as they age?

Had to go into the local DIY place on the way home from work. Deliberately parked in a quick place away from the front door. Got what I had to get and come out only to find a cluster of cars parked around me despite plenty of wide open spaces (some closer to the door). Idiot just pulls into the space next to my driver's side, he gets out and only for he seen me approach did he gently but still struggle to get out without hitting off my door. Loads of empty spaces around without needing to have to squeeze out the door but still had to go into that space.

Similar thing before Christmas, had to go into the shopping centre and parked well away from the front door only to come back and find this one squeezing her big Land Cruiser into the one free space next to me when there were easier and more spaces close by. Now, I don't expect people not to park in the space next to me but jesus these people seem hell bent on squeezing into difficult spaces when there is ample and way easier open spaces nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bazz26 wrote: »
    I often wonder are some people born dumb or do they strive to become dumb as they age?

Had to go into the local DIY place on the way home from work. Deliberately parked in a quick place away from the front door. Got what I had to get and come out only to find a cluster of cars parked around me despite plenty of wide open spaces (some closer to the door). Idiot just pulls into the space next to my driver's side, he gets out and only for he seen me approach did he gently but still struggle to get out without hitting off my door. Loads of empty spaces around without needing to have to squeeze out the door but still had to go into that space.

Similar thing before Christmas, had to go into the shopping centre and parked well away from the front door only to come back and find this one squeezing her big Land Cruiser into the one free space next to me when there were easier and more spaces close by. Now, I don't expect people not to park in the space next to me but jesus these people seem hell bent on squeezing into difficult spaces when there is ample and way easier open spaces nearby.

It's the using your car and the next one as a measuring aid.

If they parked elsewhere these are the types that would take up to 4 parking spaces as their spacial awareness is diabolical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

jimgoose wrote: »

Hope it serves you well jim. Driving a focus the last 3 years myself. Its been good to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's the using your car and the next one as a measuring aid.

If they parked elsewhere these are the types that would take up to 4 parking spaces as their spacial awareness is diabolical.

Thats why I park in the end of carpark and in two spaces. So they cant use my car as measuring tape.

Some people are just assholes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement