Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Classic tax makes anything more valuable and desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Is the humble E34 starting to rocket in value? This clean looking 1988 example is asking €3650 for a VRT impending UK bog spec (4 x elec windows opposed to windy) 2.0 (129bhp FURY so no fancy vented discs) with no mention of usual E34 prerequisites such as jacking points/fuel lines/subframe mounts/wiper clonk and in this case the t belt being done. No pic of the toolkit either and is marked as a bargain!

Just to be a picky hoor, original throughout must have missed the flat wipers (and yes, I have the original BMW spoiler wiper on mine ;))

Virtually rust free.
    So it's not rust free!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Manual, cloth seats, puny 2L SE, plastic wheel covers.

Ewwwww!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Same seller had a lovely red 530 sport manual on classic tax/VRT a few weeks ago for iirc 7k or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Manual, cloth seats, puny 2L SE, plastic wheel covers.

Ewwwww!

It's a strange spec as it has the 4 spoke wheel, 4 elec windows and steels thus UK boggo yet has front fogs... :confused: must have been added on after!

SE would have the 3 spoke wheel and BBS wheels... Like my one :p

Although I remember looking to buy an 88 525i sport from here (yes, that very one. It was complete when I went to view it in 2007) which had a lovely spoiler, BBS wheels and diffusers yet had an analog odometer and windy windows all round! :eek:

There was a 530i (again, an 88 car) in Carrickmacross I was looking to buy for spares that I never got round to and when I could it was too late, it was gone. Often wondered where it went... Goodness, that was 12 years ago :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That's too expensive, the M50 engine has a lot more power and the spec is low. A 520i will be so slow, a nice 525i Sport with the M50TU engine would be worth a good bit more and every cent of it as well. I love E34s, first BMW I ever went in and responsible for making me love six cylinder petrol engines, I just loved the noise of them and how they could be revved to the redline yet remain so smooth and refined even up there and how they just sounded so nice when you pressed on, not sounding like they were in pain, making a racket and vibrating a lot like ordinary four cylinder cars back in the day did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

New tyre day, 4 eagle F1s. Such a difference from the cheapo tyres it came on. Me not wanting to ditch what looked like perfectly good tyres was a silly reason not to. First time I'd ran tyres I thought of as iffy in donkeys years but it did serve as a reminder of the difference.

IMG-20181228-121740-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just saw on fb a 171 4 series stolen in cork this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Scum. Any clues as to how they did it, eg. Booster on key fob etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

No details given on the post could be though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

20181228-055758.jpg

The Camry hit 200k yesterday. Have it since August and have put nearly 10k on it during my travels of Australia. Going strong for the moment but it doesn't take to the +40° heat very well out where I am with a fair loss of power. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Bought myself Carista for Christmas :pac:

Seems good handy for doing small customisations such as gauge sweep, enabling parking visualization, changing lighting options etc. the older the model the more options it seems to have. Also handy for reading fault codes. In my head it would be very handy if some Saturday night the car threw up an EML at least with this you could get the code to determine how serious it is.

Small money really less than €20 for the adapter and yearly subscription to pro version is €45. Basically if you done one thing a year with it that saved you going to a garage it has paid for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CIP4 wrote: »
    Bought myself Carista for Christmas :pac:

Seems good handy for doing small customisations such as gauge sweep, enabling parking visualization, changing lighting options etc. the older the model the more options it seems to have. Also handy for reading fault codes. In my head it would be very handy if some Saturday night the car threw up an EML at least with this you could get the code to determine how serious it is.

Small money really less than €20 for the adapter and yearly subscription to pro version is €45. Basically if you done one thing a year with it that saved you going to a garage it has paid for itself.

Be cheaper just to get rid of the car and buy another.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Shane Ross's silly law about cyclist distances is now dead in the water , delighted :) although id say he'll try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Shane Ross's silly law about cyclist distances is now dead in the water , delighted :) although id say he'll try again.

What was that about? Only heard the gist of it on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

EPAndlee wrote: »
    What was that about? Only heard the gist of it on the radio

The attorney general advised against.

It's a law that would be impossible to measure.

How could one say you didn't give 1.5 or 1 meters without a measuring tape.

I agree 100% people should give room but this would open us all up to dangerous false claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The attorney general advised against.

It's a law that would be impossible to measure.

How could one say you didn't give 1.5 or 1 meters without a measuring tape.

I agree 100% people should give room but this would open us all up to dangerous false claims.

Considering how irrational some cyclists in Ireland are, particularly when theyre doing illegal things like riding three abreast or any other way to prevent overtaking, It would be complete madness in the court room every week.

A lot of the dealers have pics up on FB of people collecting their new 191 cars today. There was one of a guy collecting a 191 A4 he looked even younger than me it was an S-Line kind of an unusual dark blue colour haven’t seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

There's not a hope I'd let a dealer take a photo of me collecting a car for social media, esp if it was an Audi :pac:

A dealer here has all their appliances lined up in the forecourt with the surnames of all the new owners on the plates. It's a bit cringy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

vintagevrs wrote: »
    There's not a hope I'd let a dealer take a photo of me collecting a car for social media, esp if it was an Audi :pac:

A dealer here has all their appliances lined up in the forecourt with the surnames of all the new owners on the plates. It's a bit cringy.

Hyundai?

• Advertisement

vintagevrs wrote: »

Yes wouldn’t be into it myself but I am sure there are some people who would like to have it up on Facebook. I suppose the minute you drive it anywhere people you know will see it anyway so not exactly a big secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes wouldn’t be into it myself but I am sure there are some people who would like to have it up on Facebook. I suppose the minute you drive it anywhere people you know will see it anyway so not exactly a big secret.

Except you're pride and joy can be tracked down quite easily once someone has a name to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This seems to be the 21st century way for dealers to advertise their business all over your car. It's the next step up from fitting number plate surrounds, rear windscreen and body stickers with their names on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

RS Direct in the UK do it on Instagram the odd time but I remember a few months ago when they used to do it more often, they posted a photo of a young guy, about 18-20 who was collecting his Fiesta ST and the comments towards him were quite nasty for no reason what so ever. Felt sorry for the lad if he ever did end up having to read them. Keyboard warriors at their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,768 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bazz26 wrote: »
    This seems to be the 21st century way for dealers to advertise their business all over your car. It's the next step up from fitting number plate surrounds, rear windscreen and body stickers with their names on them.

Stickers are the first thing that are removed whenever I've bought a car

Also wouldn't be letting someone stick photos up of me and the new car. I don't even do Facebook for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I thought it was just me that did that.

I'd be fairly annoyed if some dealer put up a pic of me and my new car, it's like a shopping list for car thieves

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I thought it was just me that did that.

I'd be fairly annoyed if some dealer put up a pic of me and my new car, it's like a shopping list for car thieves

*car thief browses facebook*
    "look at this git with his new Tucson Trendline, he's next"
    *car thief tracks you down with nothing more than your face, your reg number and a county location and proceeds to steal Tucson*

Probably doesn't happen that often, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

*car thief browses facebook*
    "look at this git with his new Tucson Trendline, he's next"
    *car thief tracks you down with nothing more than your face, your reg number and a county location and proceeds to steal Tucson*

Probably doesn't happen that often, sorry.
    Probably happens more than you'd like to think.
    Anything that can make their life harder and my car harder to steal is ok by me.

Tried to steal my Type R 3 times, so call me wary of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Probably happens more than you'd like to think.
    Anything that can make their life harder and my car harder to steal is ok by me.

Big difference between a Type R and a tucson though.

My Volvo is kept outside every night in full view if whomever passes 365 days a year. My BMW is locked away and has several layers of security/deterence for a would be thief to try get through and I wouldn't dream of leaving it out overnight. In fact a stipulation of my classic insurance policy is that it gets locked away. Different situations for different cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That's what you get for having your photo taken on a dealer forecourt in Japan - oh wait!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement