Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I see a couple of people have been arrested.

Be interesting to see who they are linked with.

Hopefully they'll be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

i wonder were the balliffs wearing bodycams while attacked?? be interesting to see the footage if it ever becomes available..that way we'll have a clearer picture of what happened

fryup wrote: »
    i wonder were the balliffs wearing bodycams while attacked?? be interesting to see the footage if it ever becomes available..that way we'll have a clearer picture of what happened

Yes. They were wearing body cams.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

But at least they'd be licensed and regulated.

Overstep your mark or remit? License revoked.

Seems a slightly better option than enlisting men from a different jurisdiction, some of which may have questionable pasts/links.

But sure we'll continue on with the strokes town method.

What could go wrong?

They should be licensed and regulated. No disupute.

The point being made was the only thing that would change would be who is carrying out the work and their license to do so. The method would not.

They would still have remit to use reasonable force to physically remove the occupants.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If I take out a loan for a nice new Merc and I refuse to pay back a cent will anyone volunteer to come and help me to stop them repossessing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If I take out a loan for a nice new Merc and I refuse to pay back a cent will anyone volunteer to come and help me to stop them repossessing it?

It depends, are you a loyalist ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No, but if they do repossess it, I'll burn it out for you while blaring "Come out ye black and tans"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you're brother and sister lived in the Merck I would help

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If you're brother and sister lived in the Merck I would help

I wouldn't be piggy backing on my brother and sister though. The Merc would not belong to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I've never once on this thread condoned dodging tax and I do believe there has to be consequences to not paying loans otherwise the system fails but in this case it was way to heavy handed and I was glad they had their arses handed back to them

But you have drawn the inference that this guy should not pay his debts because someone else e.g developers,bankers, whatever got away with theirs.

You also use language like being TURFed out of their home.
    So do you think the property should have been repossessed at this stage ? Yes/No ?

What do you expect when the institution that hold the loan reaches the end of the line?
    Do we know at this point if they followed due process? The family disputes that and has engaged their solicitors. So I don't think we have seen both sides of this story at all

Was this more cost savings by the defaulter(s).
    Don't bother with legal advice until you are being actually kicked out.

I wonder has the solicitor looked for cash up front.
    Then again that is one crew I would not mind seeing getting shafted by McCann.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

I have yet to see any evidence of these assaults on the owners of the house?

No joke - klaaaz stated this was just one of a number of horrific injuries sustained by the man.
    klaaaz wrote: »
    You'd want to retract that and see the attachment, just one of a number of horrific injuries inflicted by the violent firm on an elderly man. Hope you wish him a speedy recovery?

468423.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

eagle eye wrote: »
    This thread is throwing up some great stuff. A retired guard in his fifties is not a pensioner, even.though he is on a pension.
    Technically a Pensioner .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Naos wrote: »
    No joke - klaaaz stated this was just one of a number of horrific injuries sustained by the man.

Will he lose the leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

As my 18 month old says "oh my knee"!

FFS my eight year old comes in with cuts like those all the time. Like my son I'm sure the retired Peeler was fine after he got over the shock and had a good cry getting a hug from his mammy LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

gandalf wrote: »
    Jesus we have reached peak Chuckie with the faux indignation. The eviction was legitimate and lawful. The debtor's were told 2 days before it happened and they chose to stay and resist. The blowing this out of proportion by Sinn Fein and their useful idiots is painful to listen to. The economic illiteracy that is being displayed by Sinn Fein is worse than normal. All this ****e cause a few republican thugs had a hard on to bash some Jaffa's!

The evictions which took place in the 1800s when landlords' demands got too high for people to afford were also "legal and legitimate" at the time, which is what spurred widespread, eventually successful campaigns to change the law - and ultimately led to the Irish independence movement.

gandalf wrote: »
    FFS my eight year old comes in with cuts like those all the time. Like my son I'm sure the retired Peeler was fine after he got over the shock and had a good cry getting a hug from his mammy LOL

Unless his mammy was one of the ones violently thrown in a ditch (another completely unsubstantiated claim by the same poster)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wonder what would happen if guys from the republic working for a securuty company went up north working for a bank and evicted people from the loyalist community from there homes . How would that go down? Outrage I would imagine.

The evictions which took place in the 1800s when landlords' demands got too high for people to afford were also "legal and legitimate" at the time, which is what spurred widespread, eventually successful campaigns to change the law - and ultimately led to the Irish independence movement.

Has nothing to do with this case though does it, people need to stop potraying this as a "those who don't learn from history" situation. It's a lad who hasn't bothered his hole paying loans or debts getting kicked out of a home that isn't his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

fryup wrote: »

From what i've read they were, they had handed the footage over to the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Lads unless you're actually trying to outdo each other with childish and stupid commentary the ex peeler as you call him was assualted photos have been posted online look for them if ye want and as for a hug off his mammy very difficult considering she's dead. Whatever the rights and wrongs of ignoring the eviction notice or the associated debts heavy handed evictions in a rural setting is going to inflame the local community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Exactly. the law has been changed. It is now very difficult to get an eviction order. According to the independent article this has been in court since 2009. 9 feckin years. Things have swung too far the other way.

And your point is? The guy at the centre of this took a loan out as an adult and then behaved like a immature kid and didn't pay it off. He brought this on his own head. Both situations are NOTHING alike.

Lads unless you're actually trying to outdo each other with childish and stupid commentary the ex peeler as you call him was assualted photos have been posted online look for them if ye want and as for a hug off his mammy very difficult considering she's dead. Whatever the rights and wrongs of ignoring the eviction notice or the associated debts heavy handed evictions in a rural setting is going to inflame the local community.

FFS if they broke the guys leg you'd have a point. He got a grazed knee, he wasn't assaulted he was attempting to block a legal possession of a property by the Bank who owned it because of the debtors inability to meet his commitments.

The eviction from the evidence presented was in no way heavy handed. It is fallacious in the extreme to suggest it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

So it would appear Sinn Féin lied in the Dail claiming they were violently assaulted?

How do they get away with making bogus claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭FredFunk

I don't think the poor unfortunates that got turfed out in the 1800s, had a loan out for the equivalent of a Land Rover.

So it would appear Sinn F lied in the Dail claiming they were violently assaulted?

Maybe because it was because their fragile republican ego got bruised?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    British or Irish is just a description of someone's nationality, loyalists or republican is political.

Yeah I know. That was my actual point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

So it would appear Sinn Féin lied in the Dail claiming they were violently assaulted?

I mean that's every politician ever, we would be here for centuries if you want to start calling out politicians for making bogus claims and lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

gandalf wrote:
    FFS if they broke the guys leg you'd have a point. He got a grazed knee, he wasn't assaulted he was attempting to block a legal possession of a property by the Bank who owned it because of the debtors inability to meet his commitments.

There are also photos circulating of his face. As I said carry out a heavy handed eviction in a rural environment alot of local people are going to get p*ssed off and sympathy is going to be afforded towards those being evicted even if it's not warranted. Own goal comes to mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement